Sorry for being away so long

webglider

Dagobah Resident
Although I've tried several times to communicate about what has been going in my life, I just couldn't do it. I think it was because everything began to change so fast that I really didn't know where I was. The event that precipitated what was to follow was an absolutely every day decision which turned my life upside down and inside out.

I decided, as a treat, to go out and buy my daughter breakfast as we didn't have much food in the house. On my way back, I found myself behind a group of people who took up the whole sidewalk. I wanted to pass through, but since that was impossible, I decided to cut through a little square in which a tree had been planted. Bricks had been placed around the tree, and when I stepped on one, it catapalted me into the air. Time really did stand still for me. It seemed to take forever before I landed on the contrete my left hand taking the blunt of the fall.

I could not get up, so an ambulance was called. I tried sitting up but couldn't sustain that position. Two people from the crowd I will always remember: I asked one woman if she would deliver the bag of breakfast to my daughter as we live very close to where I fell.
People started to drift away, but one man with a dog stood over me until the ambulance came. I will never forget him.

He stood absoutely still as did his dog. until the ambulance arrived. That was the day that some psychopathic kid threw a lighted matress into an elevator after 911. One policeman later died of smoke inhalation. As you can imagine, the entire hospital was filled with police. I later learned that every bone in my left wrist had been shattered. The muscle in my left arm had been displaced by the impact from the fall. After many hours, I was hooked up to a very interesting treatment; weights were fastened to the muscle so that gravity could pull it down.

After many many hours, I was released, and finally arrived home. My daughter was home, and when I came inside, she told me that she was moving out. This was the first that I had heard of this plan and it took me by surprise. I was incredulous. How could she leave? But she did.

I have two dogs; it was April and cold. My hand was so wounded that I couldn't even hold the keys without feeling pain.

Then I remembered my friend, Judi, who had once been a visiting nurse. I called her, explained the situation, and offered to pay her if she could help through this time.

I have to say, that Judi and I had a really good time together. She helped me shop, bathe, get dressed, and cook. My dogs loved her. In fact, everyone in my building loved her. The guy up the block was very impressed with her. We cooked a lot and told a lot of stories. I've known her since the eighties: watched her children grow up, as she watched my my daughter grow up.

Before I fell, we had not seen each other for years. Our friendship was like that - very long but with periods when we were each occupied with other things.

The last time I saw Judy was the day we made roast chicken in a clay pot which she really liked. She came back from shopping with a huge tub of ice cream. When ever she shopped for me, I told her to shop for herself. She didn't have much sweetness in her life. She loved a man who didn't love her back. All of her friends including myself wanted her to find someone else, but she loved this guy for some reason that none of us could understand.

She had gone out with some friends the night before; I was happy that she was seeing them and thought that she was late because she had stayed up late. At some point, the phone rang. It was her daughter who called to inform that Judi had died of heart attack in the night. Her son had found her.

I miss my friend. Right before she died, she became eligible for medicaid and was in a position to fix her teeth.

My daughter and I are now in family counseling at The Ackerman Clinic for the Family. My daughter's friend's mother has had a huge negative effect on my daughter. She undermined me all through my daughter's childhood. I am working to dissipate the rage I feel my towards my daughter's friends mother. I keep thinking that if my daughter had been at home with me, my friend wouldn't have died.

Judi leaves three children. I've known them since they were little. I send money to her daughter, but I don't have enough for all of them. When it's time, I will leave them something in my will.

I am not proof reading this because if I do, I probably will not send it.

Seems you've had a pretty traumatic time of it Webglider! Did all of this happen within the past 6 months? Wish you had told us about it at the time so we could have maybe helped out in some way, but I understand why you didn't. Glad to see you back though! :hug2:

Welcome back, Webglider. :)

I don't think you should harbor any guilty feelings about your friend Judi's heart attack. Whether your daughter was at home with you are not, it probably would have made no difference in the outcome. However, on the bright side, you were able to spend a lot of time with her and enjoy her company before she died. (something that would not have happened if your daughter was at home)

Sorry to hear about your accident and the loss of your friend. Glad you decided to network. :flowers:

Hi Webglider it's nice to see you back. I am sorry to hear about your friend's passing. I am glad you got to spend so much time with her before she passed away.

Hugs to you :hug2:

Hi webglider and welcome back.

Sounds like a very tough few months. As you probably already know, your situation may only get tougher but in a different context (counseling, processing of grief, acceptance, new revelations, etc.)

If you feel up for some reading and haven't read it yet, "In An Unspoken Voice" by Peter Levine, could help assist you in dealing with some of the trauma you endured.

It's great you hit the 'Post' button, webglider. :flowers:

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your friend. :flowers:

It's good to have you back and feel free to network here about what's going on with you.

Welcome back Webglider. It's good to see you posting again. Did all these things happen recently?

I am sorry to hear about the death of your friend. It's wonderful that you were able to spend so much time with her before she passed. :hug2:

Welcome back, webglider. Sorry to hear what you've been through and the loss of your friend. But I'm glad you decided to share it all here. Take care of yourself. :hug2:

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I've been away so long I dont' know where to begin to catch up. It's good to be back.

Hello Webglider, and welcome back! That really sounds like a lot to go through, and I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. What stands out most to me is how you two shared all this wonderful time together before she left. It's probably all still feeling very raw for you, but it might console a little to see it as her last gift to you and your friendship. :hug2:

Hello webglider,

I am deeply touched by your post. Good to see you back. Thank you for sharing. Keep keeping on...

Al

Thank you for sharing webglider, Judy and your story will stay on my memory :hug2:

Good to see you back.

quote from Perceval:

Seems you've had a pretty traumatic time of it Webglider! Did all of this happen within the past 6 months? Wish you had told us about it at the time so we could have maybe helped out in some way, but I understand why you didn't. Glad to see you back though!

The accident occurred on April 6th. I was very fortunate in that even though my daughter didn't stay to help me, another good friend visted a number of times to make sure that I was okay.

Back
Top Bottom