The Odyssey - Manual of Secret Teachings?

Re: The Odyssey - question for all!

Bud said:
Awesome presentation so far! I feel like to quote any part of it for commenting would dilute the impact on me at this point. I will say this: Seems like I see my interactions with people in a whole new light, and the connection between 3rd density and hyper-dimensionality seems different somehow...more viable and realistic, I think.

Not sure how to describe this right now as I am still digesting it all, but there seems to be a feel of a more direct correspondence between 4D and 3D, but on different scales or scopes, or something.

One thing seems very certain to me, though, and that is to not take...

Laura said:
... some of these images too literally. Best to think of this as a story that teaches us about energetic interactions. Indeed, we suspect that denizens of 4D manifest physically - or at least partially physically - and interact with humans, but more than that, it's about energies, karma - if you like - and the General Law as "The General Law." It's about cosmic principles that are larger than just our Earthly lives.

It feels like if we keep the above in mind, some 'veils' may be seen through easier. I dunno, but I sense something building and it's exciting!

Bud put into words my thoughts and feelings as well. The Odyssey seems a big backdrop for painting the STS/STO distinction, 4D to 3D, in such a way that the choices and their consequences become much more clear. And not just "clear" but giving a feeling for the immensity. And "immensity" maybe in the sense of what is really required of the STO path. Not a very good description of my thoughts/feelings, but the best I can do right now.

But, no doubt, the building of such an inhospitable world environment (dog-eat-dog, etc) helps see to it that very few find the STO path.

I'm just catching up on this thread as well. Got a few more pages of posts to read (tomorrow) before I get caught up, but thought I'd chime in.

I read children's versions of the Odyssey and the Iliad when I was little (maybe 10 or 12) and loved them both. I remember boys on the playground picking out nick names and I wanted to be Ajax, mostly because of another book about a dinosaur named Ajax, or Odysseus and everyone laughed at me. :lol: I think I read the Butler versions in highschool, but I'm not sure. I'll get a copy of the Odyssey from the library in the next couple days and try to keep up.

Guardian said:
Yup, good book...Odysseus didn't strike me as being too quick on the uptake.

I'd say he makes a pretty good archetypal hero in that case. Compared to his crew though, the guy was a genius. I remember wondering why they kept turning away from him. Time after time he would escape and rescue them, and time after time they panicked and deserted him and ended up in a heap of trouble.

LQB said:
Bud said:
Awesome presentation so far! I feel like to quote any part of it for commenting would dilute the impact on me at this point. I will say this: Seems like I see my interactions with people in a whole new light, and the connection between 3rd density and hyper-dimensionality seems different somehow...more viable and realistic, I think.

Not sure how to describe this right now as I am still digesting it all, but there seems to be a feel of a more direct correspondence between 4D and 3D, but on different scales or scopes, or something.

One thing seems very certain to me, though, and that is to not take...

Laura said:
... some of these images too literally. Best to think of this as a story that teaches us about energetic interactions. Indeed, we suspect that denizens of 4D manifest physically - or at least partially physically - and interact with humans, but more than that, it's about energies, karma - if you like - and the General Law as "The General Law." It's about cosmic principles that are larger than just our Earthly lives.

It feels like if we keep the above in mind, some 'veils' may be seen through easier. I dunno, but I sense something building and it's exciting!

Bud put into words my thoughts and feelings as well. The Odyssey seems a big backdrop for painting the STS/STO distinction, 4D to 3D, in such a way that the choices and their consequences become much more clear. And not just "clear" but giving a feeling for the immensity. And "immensity" maybe in the sense of what is really required of the STO path. Not a very good description of my thoughts/feelings, but the best I can do right now.

But, no doubt, the building of such an inhospitable world environment (dog-eat-dog, etc) helps see to it that very few find the STO path.

Mine as well. In the middle of digesting the amazing inspirations of this thead and material, the feeling is of immensity, excitement and getting more real through grasping the archetypes that we act out on different levels and their interaction. Thank you Laura for all this incredible work and effort!

I suppose this is almost irrelevant to how this thread as progressed, I read the Odyssey as part of a college class on classical humanities more than a decade ago. Most of it has faded from memory. What I recall to this day is the daring of Odysseus to tie himself to the mast of his ship so he could hear the Sirens without being overcome and lured into the ocean. There seems very little reward for this risk-taking in a rational man. (His crew put wax in their ears and disobeyed his rantings to be freed as they sailed by the Sirens, etc). Is it merely a literary device to illustrate the contrast between a pre-ordained order given under sane conditions vs a temporary insanity? Which is quite trivial in a way. Or is there something even deeper. The most rational thing for a captain to do is also put wax in his ears as well, and let the whole crew sail by as quickly as possible with the least risk. Yet Odysseus took a calculated, but unnecessary, risk to enrich his own personal experience. I have a few thoughts on why he did this, but I'd be interested in yours (mine has nothing to do with 4D)

Patience said:
It occurs to me that if Wilkens' hypothesis is correct, and keeping in mind that it is certain that the Greeks and Celtics (a people who memorized things instead of writing them) had some kind of relationship, then Homer's work may be the sole extant view of the monolith builders of Europe.

Indeed a long term view ive had to.

axj said:
SolarMother said:
MyrrnA
I must admit that I haven't read Where Troy Once Stood since it's so costly nowadays.

I had luck in getting this book through my library's ILL program. Maybe you could try that if thats an option for you.

I read an abridged version of the Odyssey ages ago, so there is a bit of recognition for what is being said on this thread. I am grateful to this thread, as a sort of prep for reading the book. Laura, thank you for your work.

'Where Troy Once Stood' mentions that Troy was actually located in Great Britian locality. Is it the same for the locale of the Odyssey? I have not caught up on this thread, so pardons if this has been mentioned already.

Check out this site:

_http://www.trojan-war.co.uk/

It has much of the core information from 'Where Troy Once Stood'. The map Laura posted in the beginning of this thread is also from this site.

Nice Find axj useful indeed. :)

wmu9 said:
I suppose this is almost irrelevant to how this thread as progressed, I read the Odyssey as part of a college class on classical humanities more than a decade ago. Most of it has faded from memory. What I recall to this day is the daring of Odysseus to tie himself to the mast of his ship so he could hear the Sirens without being overcome and lured into the ocean. There seems very little reward for this risk-taking in a rational man. (His crew put wax in their ears and disobeyed his rantings to be freed as they sailed by the Sirens, etc). Is it merely a literary device to illustrate the contrast between a pre-ordained order given under sane conditions vs a temporary insanity? Which is quite trivial in a way. Or is there something even deeper. The most rational thing for a captain to do is also put wax in his ears as well, and let the whole crew sail by as quickly as possible with the least risk. Yet Odysseus took a calculated, but unnecessary, risk to enrich his own personal experience. I have a few thoughts on why he did this, but I'd be interested in yours (mine has nothing to do with 4D)

What could the siren represent for us today? I haven't read this part yet but from what I remember from the movie, listening to their song lead you to your end. On a 3th density level, disinformation, cointelpro, false knowledge and belief, religion etc... come to mind. The same come to mind when someone start dealing with 4th density. Laura had 2 years contacting dead dude at the beginning of her experimentation with the board. See also John Keel books on this matter, how misleading the higher density sts can be. Listening to the siren is to follow these path uncritically i.e. not objectively. Like channeled information that are not questioned for example can quickly turn into a disinformation trap from 4th density. Why Odysseus tied himself to the post, maybe because to find a way out one as to seek knowledge every where and like the C's often say, there is always some truth to find in the middle of all this dirt. Maybe he needed to test is knowledge and discernment again the matrix, a inevitable obstacle for anyone walking the path. OSIT

wmu9 said:
...Odysseus took a calculated, but unnecessary, risk to enrich his own personal experience.

I can't help but think that he indulged himself in this to be able to witness the "beautiful but deadly", much in the way people will drop themselves down into shark cages to photograph/film sharks. Yes, there is a certain amount of risk involved, but it is mitigated hugely by the safety devices in place (lashing to the mast). I don't believe it's an issue of him facing temptation, as he was unable to act on his temptations to hurl himself off the ship, but more something he wanted to experience for himself.

Laurentien said:
wmu9 said:
What I recall to this day is the daring of Odysseus to tie himself to the mast of his ship so he could hear the Sirens without being overcome and lured into the ocean. There seems very little reward for this risk-taking in a rational man. (His crew put wax in their ears and disobeyed his rantings to be freed as they sailed by the Sirens, etc). Is it merely a literary device to illustrate the contrast between a pre-ordained order given under sane conditions vs a temporary insanity? Which is quite trivial in a way. Or is there something even deeper. The most rational thing for a captain to do is also put wax in his ears as well, and let the whole crew sail by as quickly as possible with the least risk. Yet Odysseus took a calculated, but unnecessary, risk to enrich his own personal experience. I have a few thoughts on why he did this, but I'd be interested in yours (mine has nothing to do with 4D)

What could the siren represent for us today? I haven't read this part yet but from what I remember from the movie, listening to their song lead you to your end. On a 3th density level, disinformation, cointelpro, false knowledge and belief, religion etc... come to mind. The same come to mind when someone start dealing with 4th density. Laura had 2 years contacting dead dude at the beginning of her experimentation with the board. See also John Keel books on this matter, how misleading the higher density sts can be. Listening to the siren is to follow these path uncritically i.e. not objectively. Like channeled information that are not questioned for example can quickly turn into a disinformation trap from 4th density. Why Odysseus tied himself to the post, maybe because to find a way out one as to seek knowledge every where and like the C's often say, there is always some truth to find in the middle of all this dirt. Maybe he needed to test is knowledge and discernment again the matrix, a inevitable obstacle for anyone walking the path. OSIT

Odyssey,Book 12.36 - Butler
Then queenly Circe spoke to me and said: “All these things have thus found an end; but do thou hearken as I shall tell thee, and a god shall himself bring it to thy mind. To the Sirens first shalt thou come, who [40] beguile all men whosoever comes to them. Whoso in ignorance draws near to them and hears the Sirens' voice, he nevermore returns, that his wife and little children may stand at his side rejoicing, but the Sirens beguile him with their clear-toned song, [45] as they sit in a meadow, and about them is a great heap of bones of mouldering men, and round the bones the skin is shrivelling. But do thou row past them, and anoint the ears of thy comrades with sweet wax, which thou hast kneaded, lest any of the rest may hear. But if thou thyself hast a will to listen, [50] let them bind thee in the swift ship hand and foot upright in the step of the mast, and let the ropes be made fast at the ends to the mast itself, that with delight thou mayest listen to the voice of the two Sirens. And if thou shalt implore and bid thy comrades to loose thee, then let them bind thee with yet more bonds.

Agreeing with Laurentien here. That they represent the disinfo aspect of 3D leading to entropy(death). Even though Circe explains in detail to Odysseus the demise that happens when one listens to the Sirens and that "he nevermore returns, that his wife and little children may stand at his side rejoicing", which is what Odysseus wants more then anything, he still has the need to listen. To learn of these things on his quest which I do also agree is the 'quest for home, the grail quest'. She gives him the tools needed to process through this test and he abides to them. And this is due I believe to his earlier lesson with the Cyclops. If he had listen to his men and left with bounty they had found before the Cyclops discovered them, he would not have suffered so great a loss and have Poseidon's wrath.

Though there is this within the words of Odysseus at this point in book 9.193
Then my comrades spoke and besought me first of all [225] to take of the cheeses and depart, and thereafter speedily to drive to the swift ship the kids and lambs from out the pens, and to sail over the salt water. But I did not listen to them—verily it would have been better far—to the end that I might see the man himself, and hether he would give me gifts of entertainment. [230] Yet, as it fell, his appearing was not to prove a joy to my comrades.

He was seeking hospitality and found the opposite. Was it curiosity and folly or was he looking for more lessons within this framework? Utilizing his free will here without any advice from the gods (higher Self???), he stumbled and had great consequence. This may represent Odysseus listening to one of his smaller 'I's' of his Personality and having later to use another for his escape. And the learning the lesson. Which in this regard I believe was relating to hospitality and that not all beings in the world offer it up. The Cyclops here represents to me true STS. Though taking his goods by Odysseus and his men also represent this. Though it was for self preservation where for the Cyclops it was to eat something he had not had in his stocks. Or maybe I am off base here.

Regarding the role of the sirens you may find this interesting:

The Whirlpool of Charybdis, The Sirens, and The Navigator
It is in this sense that the Cassiopaeans teach us that knowledge protects. To have a full field of awareness is to be in control of your ship no matter what may erupt into your life. Information is the bridge between consciousness and matter and without this bridge, matter and its programs - the Predator's Mind - will dominate. The "bodymind" of the Predator is like the whirlpool of Charybdis and the temptation of the Sirens of ancient myth put together. Liky Ulysses, we must lash ourselves to the mast of our ship, stuff the ears of our rowers with wax, and call upon knowledge/nymphs to help guide us through the dangers.

Thanks bluestar, that is an enlightening explanation. What is your take on the inherit SELFISHNESS of risking his crew and ship for his own quest?

I'm a bit late to this thread -just catching up. Not read the book, but have seen the movie version. As someone commented earlier on, the books we read at an early age in school, such as works by Shakespeare, are foisted upon us when we have had very little in the way of life experience(s) and consequently they carry little emotional weight on how we perceive the world in any truly substantial way. I suppose any meaningful deeper understanding comes with age -but then again perhaps not for everone? Better stop here I think I'm waffling on.

All I could say is: wow! I must read all Laura's posts once more and process it slowly, the mass of information Laura gave us is unbelievable. Thank you Laura.

I got the impression that there could be a practical reason why Odysseus had himself tied to the mast and didn't put wax in his ears. Could it have been because one person had to hear the Sirens so as to know when they had reached the danger and also when they had cleared the danger.

As for the hidden meaning, I tend to agree with Laurentien and Bluestar.

Back
Top Bottom