The Truth About Hair and Why Indians Would Keep Their Hair Long

Shane said:
Gimpy said:
So, cutting off an Indian man's hair is going to carry all that with it, which to me is more of a wound to the person's psyche even if it's subconscious(but in this case I'm betting not.)

I don't think the subject can be taken out of this bigger context, osit.

I think this makes a lot of sense. The social and individual trauma connected to cutting their hair could very well have a huge effect on their psyche.

I'm not sure if there's such a thing as social or subconscious trauma associated with cutting one's hair. This seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

I kind of wonder if it isn't something that develops over time. If a person has long hair continuously throughout their life, perhaps the nervous system of the body adapts to this and utilizes it as a psychic antenna of sorts. In that case, cutting one's hair would ax out a component the body has adapted to using. Re-adaptation would take time and maybe impossible at a certain age.

At the same time, if somebody has had shorter hair from a young age, perhaps the body then adapts by using other systems in the body for psychic awareness instead of the hair? It might be the case that one system is superior over the others (maybe long hair is better?), but that doesn't preclude somebody from having psychic experiences/abilities without long hair. Just some thoughts...

I used to have long hair when I was a teenager and I didn't like it when i was told to cut it off either.

But I have a Mohawk just now with completely shaved sides and I really like that. Before this I had my hair shaved completely and I loved it because i felt so rejuventated and that I had 'cleansed' myself in some way. I felt clean and free and I loved the feeling of the air around my head! :D

Paragon said:
Before this I had my hair shaved completely and I loved it because i felt so rejuventated and that I had 'cleansed' myself in some way.

That's true, heavy metal toxins do accumulate in the hair. That might be another factor to consider in all of this.

hm some related to the subject, always in my dreams if I already dreamed of an old male character had long hair was a strong person representing the "real people with values​​"

Another thing that comes to mind is the frecuent pictures of long haired "Jesus" Christ. Also it seems that the Cathars wore long hair (though they also did things that were detrimental such as being vegetarians, so the fact that something was done by them doesn´t mean is has necessarily to be taken as good).

Something more about long hair in history:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hair#Cultural_history

Cultural historyHair is one of the most important ways humans have of presenting themselves, being one of the parts of their body which is easiest to manipulate. Also, having short, cut hair (or a shaven head) is often viewed as being under society's control, such as while in prison or as punishment for a crime, while males having long hair signifies being outside of the mainstream.[18]

In Jewish and Christian scriptures

In the Old Testament, the Nazirites would go for long periods of time without cutting their hair to show devotion to God.[19] Samson is one example; his strength depended upon his refraining from cutting his hair.[8] The New Testament says, "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering,"[20] something followed by women in some apostolic pentecostal denomitations in some countries as an act of holiness.

Western culture

Classical period

In ancient Greece, long male hair was a symbol of wealth and power, while a shaven head was appropriate for a slave. The ancient Greeks had several Gods and heroes who wore their hair long, including Zeus, Achilles, Apollo, and Poseidon. Greek soldiers are said to have worn their hair long in battle. Such warriors considered it a sign of aristocracy and are said to have combed it openly in order to show off. Also, in order to keep enemies from getting a hold of it in battle, they were known to cut the front short, but leave it long in the back, where it was more out of reach.

A widely held alternative interpretation of the conventional belief that they cut it short in the front in order to keep their enemies from getting a hold of it during battle is that, they did not in fact cut it in the front, but rather tied it back in a style known as a pony tail in order to keep it out of their enemies' reach. The pony tail method allowed warriors, who often traveled to battle with a minimal amount of equipment in order to avoid excessively heavy loads over long marches, to keep their hair manageable with a small piece of string to hold their pony tail in place and a knife to cut the back to length with one simple slice.

Around the sixth century, however, the Greek men shifted to shorter hairstyles, with the exception of the Spartans. Women in the culture remained with the longer style, which for them showed freedom, health, and wealth, as well as good behavior.[21] In men, it was considered a sign of false pride by this time.[22] Women in Roman times valued long hair, usually with a center part.

Men's hair was usually shorter than women's, (but in the early times, the custom was quite the same as in Greece) although other cultures of the time, such as Greeks in the east, considered long hair to be typical of philosophers, who were thought to be too engrossed in learning to bother with hair.[23] Strictly in the province of Rome, however the shorter hairstyle was especially popular.[22] When Julius Caesar conquered the Gauls, who favored long hair, he ordered it to be cut short.[24]

Up to the seventeenth century

In the European middle ages, shorter hair often signified servitude and peasantry, while long hair was often attributed to freemen, such as the Germanic Goths and Merovingians. In Ireland, English colonists who wore their hair long in the back were considered to be rejecting their role as English subjects and giving in to the Irish life. Irishmen, in turn, scolded others of their race who moved into English culture by cutting their hair. Thus, hair length was one of the most common ways of judging a true Englishman in this period. Muslims in Christian areas were ordered to keep their hair short and parted, as their longer style was considered rebellious and barbaric.[7]

A long hair fad was widespread among English and French men in the 11th and 12th centuries, though otherwise it was considered, mostly because of endorsement of the Roman Catholic Church, proper for men to have shorter, and women, longer hair. The fad was largely brought about by monarchs who rejected the shorter hairstyle, causing the people to follow. Wulfstan, a religious leader, worried that those with longer hair would fight like women, and be unable to protect England from foreign invasion. (This idea can be found in later military leaders as well, such as those of the American Confederacy.[25])

Knights and rulers would also sometimes cut or pull out their hair in order to show penitence and mourning, and a squire's hair was generally shorter than a knight's. Married women who let their hair flow out were frowned upon, as this was normally reserved for the unwed, although they were allowed to let it out in mourning, to show their distressed state. Through these centuries it was expected of Eastern Christians to wear long hair as well as long beards, which was especially expected from clergy and monks.

In England, during the English Civil War times of 1642 to 1651, male hair length was emblematic of the disputes between Cavaliers and Roundheads (Puritans). Cavaliers wore longer hair, and were less religious minded, thought of by the Roundheads as lecherous. The more devout Roundheads had short hair, although there were exceptions.[6]

Shane said:
Tigersoap said:
Gurdjieff was pretty bald himself :whistle:

I was thinking about that too. Many monks shave their head as well - which could just be ritual or it could be something else. I saw on facebook a discussion of this article with the thought that monks might shave their head so they can be more focused inwardly, whereas the native trackers' long har may have helped in being focused on their environment. Not to say Gurdjieff was only focused inwardly though. But then again as A.I. pointed out, he did have quite the antenna! :)

I lived with some monks together many years back and it may depends it which direction their believe system goes, but they told me, that hair symbolizes for them sexuality and so they cut it. And it may also be, that they said not to get too identified with the body.

Gertrudes said:
This makes me think of cats whiskers, and how they both provide information and help them navigate their environment.

This was also my first thought and further T.C. Lethbridge, when I read it on sott.

±±±edit±±±

Sometimes it seems to me, that hair could also represent ones health, cause as it got mentioned, stuff like mercury and also drug-substances can be stored in hair, who knows what else. But it is mainly only possible to judge it, if someone has longer hair.

Lukas said:
hm some related to the subject, always in my dreams if I already dreamed of an old male character had long hair was a strong person representing the "real people with values​​"

The long hair in this context may be the result of your own interpretation of how a male figure with those characteristics would look like.

The symbolic value of hair and what it means for each individual will be very different not only according to culture, but also personal background. Changing one's appearance can have a direct an impact on one's mood and sense of self esteem. If we look at teenagers we can see how clothing and hair styles are so important for their sense of identity. Actually, it seems that hairstyles are becoming more and more exaggerated, likely to compensate for an inner lack.
I'm also thinking of this lovely granny I know who, even though with Alzheimer, in her moments of lucidity the one thing she asks for is for her daughter to take her to the hairdresser so that she can get to feel prettier and a little bit more like herself again, as she puts it.

One last thing that comes to mind is how Malcolm Gladwell in his book "Blink" describes that when he decided to let his hair grow, he suddenly got lots of speeding tickets.
We hold a lot of subconscious associations (and assumptions) regarding appearance many of which, I think, we are far from being aware of. And when it is our appearance that is directly affected (and following Gimpy and Shane's previous thoughts), our psyche will likely also be proportionally affected. I guess that would depend of the degree of identification.

What an interesting discussion, thanks!

I haven't cut my hair in a few years now, and when I have, it's just to get the ends off. Does anyone else have the experience that one side of hair grows faster than the other side? I don't know how many times I've taken off three or four inches from the left side just to even up the shorter right side. My hair is parted exactly in the middle so it's strange to me.

A few years back I asked a Native American - Ojbewe why he braided his hair, and he said that often times they interweave prayers within them and the other times it's just to keep the hair from blowing around. :cool2:

Assuming that hair can be a kind of sensory organ, how would it work underwater? I'm asking because, in the Aquatic Ape theory, one of the byproducts of going aquatic was the loss of hair over most of the body with the exception of the head (particularly the scalp) which was the part of the body submerged the least amount of the time. Other mammals that have gone aquatic have lost their fur/hair to various degrees -- and some of them (like the cetaceans) have developed alternative methods of sensing. And humans (as far as I know) are the only mammals that can actually grow that hair out to an indeterminate length -- maybe in compensation for the hair that was lost on other parts of the body?

just judging from all the variance of opinions and experiences, i'd say that this hair business is a little bit like smoking. If you read the smoking thread, what do you notice about how people interact with tobacco? Everyone is completely different! Some people just cannot for the life of them handle tobacco, even after they've come to accept it as something that can be beneficial for a lot of people, and deprogramming from the anti-smoking propaganda.

Some people, like myself, had to get used to it but now can't live without it, and some people can use it right away with no issue. It's very different for everyone. Also consider that the frequency of one's smoking can change over time, as body chemistry is in a state of constant changes. If you are sick, you probably don't smoke as much. If you are bored, you might smoke a ton. Some people think better on tobacco, some people feel mentally clouded.

So basically my opinion is that cutting/growing hair is something that is entirely dependent on the individual to decide depending on what works better for them, seeing as at the moment, we have no conclusive evidence to support the idea that hair does have something to do with a sixth sense, but the article did say they did lots of tests on these native american trackers.

We could honestly compare this to anything else and have the same discussion about "what ifs"...fingernails, body hair, eye color, frequency of meals, how much water you need, how much you should exercise and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. :cool2:

Dawn said:
I haven't cut my hair in a few years now, and when I have, it's just to get the ends off. Does anyone else have the experience that one side of hair grows faster than the other side? I don't know how many times I've taken off three or four inches from the left side just to even up the shorter right side. My hair is parted exactly in the middle so it's strange to me.

I think my left side is a bit longer, but maybe it is due to having a little cut with a scissors with my own hands few years ago. Another thing regarding hair, I have discovered that using a wooden comb is better for hair health than using plastic or other. No statics that make the hair woolly.

Path27 said:
Assuming that hair can be a kind of sensory organ, how would it work underwater? I'm asking because, in the Aquatic Ape theory, one of the byproducts of going aquatic was the loss of hair over most of the body with the exception of the head (particularly the scalp) which was the part of the body submerged the least amount of the time. Other mammals that have gone aquatic have lost their fur/hair to various degrees -- and some of them (like the cetaceans) have developed alternative methods of sensing. And humans (as far as I know) are the only mammals that can actually grow that hair out to an indeterminate length -- maybe in compensation for the hair that was lost on other parts of the body?

Yes, for instance, people who have a lot of hair in the body tend to end up bald in their 40s or 50s onwards, and in general they loose head's hair much more. Whereas people that have little or no hair in the rest of the body, tend to keep their full hair until very old age. Mediterraneans and some pacific islander groups have a lot of hair in the body, and many of them are bald in older age, other human groups have the opposite. Maybe something like that, related to genes is the clue to understand who might need longer hair and who might not need. Similar to the smoking issue and so on, as abstract suggests:

abstract said:
just judging from all the variance of opinions and experiences, i'd say that this hair business is a little bit like smoking. If you read the smoking thread, what do you notice about how people interact with tobacco? Everyone is completely different! Some people just cannot for the life of them handle tobacco, even after they've come to accept it as something that can be beneficial for a lot of people, and deprogramming from the anti-smoking propaganda.

Some people, like myself, had to get used to it but now can't live without it, and some people can use it right away with no issue. It's very different for everyone. Also consider that the frequency of one's smoking can change over time, as body chemistry is in a state of constant changes. If you are sick, you probably don't smoke as much. If you are bored, you might smoke a ton. Some people think better on tobacco, some people feel mentally clouded.

So basically my opinion is that cutting/growing hair is something that is entirely dependent on the individual to decide depending on what works better for them, seeing as at the moment, we have no conclusive evidence to support the idea that hair does have something to do with a sixth sense, but the article did say they did lots of tests on these native american trackers.

We could honestly compare this to anything else and have the same discussion about "what ifs"...fingernails, body hair, eye color, frequency of meals, how much water you need, how much you should exercise and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. :cool2:

Edit: spelling

Very interesting discussion indeed! :grad:

My own theory regarding hair is a combination of what others have mentioned, and also that it all may have to do with genetics/bloodlines as well. Since the article did specifically talk about natives it made me think about the fact that maybe it had something to do with genetics.

Having said that, I also agree with Abstract that I think it really does have something to do with different people experiencing the effects of hair growth differently like smoking. But then again- the smoking thing also goes back to genetics and how some genes can handle it, and some can't.

But I still feel like there is more to this. Interestingly, I'm traveling in Italy right now and visiting a lot of museums which have a LOT of paintings depicting biblical figures. And yesterday I saw about 4 or 5 different paintings that depicted John the baptist as a man with a full length head of hair down to his feet covering his entire body. In one picture his hair was covering his entire body with no clothes, and in the others his hair was underneath his clothes but peaking out from the bottom of his robes & sleeves. I found it fascinating and synchronis to this discussion!

But I still feel like there is more to this. Interestingly, I'm traveling in Italy right now and visiting a lot of museums which have a LOT of paintings depicting biblical figures. And yesterday I saw about 4 or 5 different paintings that depicted John the baptist as a man with a full length head of hair down to his feet covering his entire body. In one picture his hair was covering his entire body with no clothes, and in the others his hair was underneath his clothes but peaking out from the bottom of his robes & sleeves. I found it fascinating and synchronis to this discussion!

that IS fascinating! :) let us know if you see more stuff like that...oh and hey, did you get any pictures, deedlet? I would love to travel around and see all that fascinating stuff, but you know, i'm pretty much glued to the bible belt. :rolleyes:

abstract said:

that IS fascinating! :) let us know if you see more stuff like that...oh and hey, did you get any pictures, deedlet? I would love to travel around and see all that fascinating stuff, but you know, i'm pretty much glued to the bible belt. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I was not able to take any pictures of these paintings because in some of the museums like The Academia and Uffizi in Florence, there is a "no pictures allowed" policy due to - get this! "copy right infringement". Because apparently those pictures belong to the state of Italy, and therefore are copyrighted under the country's federal laws. I was quite bumbed out that i couldn't take pictures with David and Venus. Oh and also in the major museums they do security scan of your bags and you have to go through metal detectors, due to "terrorism". And in Uffizi they also make you dump out your water at the door in HOT weather, so they can sell you it in their caffeteria for double the money. Greedy SOBs! But this is all for another thread... :offtopic:

I did try to find the John the Baptist picture I was talking about, but was only able to find this.

Maesta-_St_John_the_Baptist_by_Martini_15th_century.jpg

Now, imagine the one I saw was his actual hair from head to toe covering his entire body - and the others the hair was as long but peaking out of the clothes. He kind of resembled big foot just in the body (hairy wise). :lol:

Back
Top Bottom