This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and

Tristan

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and Shape Society by Kathleen McAuliffe

I began reading this latest book on parasites which can manipulate the behavior of animals as well as humans.

Parasites—insofar as they received any attention—were almost exclusively the domain of veterinarians or medical researchers seeking to stem the tide of epidemics like malaria and cholera. Few people were concerned about their ecological impact, much less the possibility that they could boss around more estimable animals.

Based on a wildly popular Atlantic article: an astonishing investigation into the world of microbes, and the myriad ways they control how other creatures — including humans — act, feel, and think

As we are now discovering, parasites — microbes that cannot thrive and reproduce without another organism as a host — are shockingly sophisticated and extraordinarily powerful. In fact, a plethora of parasites affect our behavior in ways we have barely begun to understand. In this mind-bending book, McAuliffe reveals the eons-old war between parasites and other creatures that is playing out in our very own bodies. And more surprising still, she uncovers the decisive role that parasites may have played in the rise and demise of entire civilizations. Our obsession with cleanliness and our experience of disgust are both evolutionary tools for avoiding infection, but they evolved differently for different populations. Political, social, and religious differences among societies may be caused, in part, by the different parasites that prey on us. :cry: In the tradition of Jared Diamond’s Guns, Germs, and Steel and Neil Shubin’s Your Inner Fish, This Is Your Brain on Parasites is both a journey into cutting-edge science and a revelatory examination of what it means to be human.

The Cat Parasite Possibly Manipulating Your Behavior — And Other Parasitic Wonders

Big Think-video:

https://youtu.be/QhWsDBd7q5M

PARASITIC MANIPULATION MAY PLAY a prominent role in determining human population size as well. Some of the world's worst scourges are transmitted by bloody-feeding insects whose behavior may in turn be controlled by microscopic infectious agents [...]

The better we grasp the nuts and bolts of parasite's manipulations, the more likely we'll be to succeed inn throwing a wrench in the works or, better yet, in finding a way to turn their powers against them.

Not just medecine but also agriculture could benefit from such expertise.

On another level... Over a decade ago, when German pharmaceutical researchers discovered that several varieties of flowers laced their nectar with caffeine. Gerladine Wright, an american neuroethologist (Newcastle Univ., England), came across a report of their finding and was dumbfounded. Caffeine in seeds and leaves is nothing new—it's toxic and bitter-tasting to insects, so often plants use the compound to repel them [...] As she read on, however, she noticed that the amount of caffeine in nectar was much less than in other parts of the plant, which suggested bees might not even be able to detect it. For years Wright had been studying bees with the goal of understanding the mechanism uderpinning human learning and memory because at molecular level, bee's brain are quite similar to our own. { Skip}

She'd trained them to recognize a single floral scent and measured how well they could remember it in the next day. But in the wild, bees jump from flower to flower every thirty seconds, which means they have to remember hundred of scents over the span of a day or two. In human terms, she said, "it's comparable to cramming for a exam, which requires you learn a whole bunch of imformation in very little time, versus studying less information over a longer period of time, when people remember much better. [...]

The bees did abysmally without caffeine, but when they got the normal dose in their nectar “they performed almost perfectly. It was a stunning result. I think this is the first case where we see a pharmacological manipulation of an animal by a plant.”

Based on body size, Wright calculates that the insects consume a dose of the drug roughly equivalent to what a human gets from a weak cup of coffee.

Could flowers be manipulating us too? "Probably" as a side effect of evolution. Because the human brain shares common building blocks with that of bees, according to Wright (a researcher in this field), caffeine influences our cognitive functioning too [...] —"Caffeine is the most widely used drug in the world, and bees have been consuming it tens of millions of year before we showed up on the planet".

As wright wryly notes, we like how caffeine make us feel, so "you could say that these flowering plants manipulate us by getting us to grow vast plantation of them".

Tristan said:
caffeine influences our cognitive functioning too [...] —"Caffeine is the most widely used drug in the world,

I noticed from my personal observations that caffeine and other types of alkaloids slowly increase psychopathisation of society. When you drink caffeine, your ego is rise because you feel energy boost and you feels like young god. You feel like you can do much more than before.

Your ability to fell empathy is decreasing. Especially when you are on caffeine withdrawal. Maybe this not always visible on single person level, but on macro scale, the whole society become less and less emphatic.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/this-is-how-your-brain-becomes-addicted-to-caffeine-26861037/?no-ist=

That's interesting and thanks for sharing. What I'm wondering if she offers also some solutions in her book beside if iodine could conquer some if not all the parasites.

And here is an wide known article from her:

How Your Cat Is Making You Crazy

Very interesting, indeed. You may also want to check Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease by Paul Ewald and The Mind Parasites by Colin Wilson. The latter is discussed here.

I was aware of the first, but didn't remember The Mind Parasites, thanks for the recommendation.

I think in order to find solutions to get rid of bugs effectively it would be better to look on other books or publications. However, this book contains a number of case studies and thoughts that lead to chew it over. IMHO

Rather, a preventive method is presented ...so to speak. The Behavioral immune system coined by Mark Schaller.
to refer to a suite of psychological mechanisms that allow individual organisms to detect the potential presence of disease-causing parasites in their immediate environment, and to engage in behaviors that prevent contact with those objects and individuals.

These mechanisms include sensory processes through which cues connoting the presence of parasitic infections are perceived (e.g., the smell of a foul odor, the sight of pox or pustules), as well as stimulus–response systems through which these sensory cues trigger a cascade of aversive affective, cognitive, and behavioral reactions (e.g., arousal of disgust, automatic activation of cognitions that connote the threat of disease, behavioral avoidance).

The existence of a behavioral immune system has been documented across many animal species, including humans. It is theorized that the mechanisms that comprise the behavioral immune system evolved as a crude first line of defense against disease-causing pathogen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_immune_system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Schaller

Chapter 9-How the emotion of disgust helps protect us from parasites and disease.

You can read more here:

http://www.livescience.com/55447-book-excerpt-this-is-your-brain-on-parasites.html

If, as this research implies, the disgusted mind truly can shift the immune system into high gear, it makes very good sense, in Schaller's opinion. "Our eyeballs are providing useful information to our immune system. If they're telling us there are a lot of sick people or other sources of germs around, that indicates that we ourselves are likely to become exposed or maybe already have been, so ramping up the immune system gives it a head start in fighting off microbial invaders." He thinks there may be another virtue to this biological setup as well. "The information allows the immune system to calibrate the aggressiveness of your response to the scale of the threat. We don't want the immune system working hard unnecessarily because it consumes a lot of resources that might be used by other parts of the body."

How, at a neurological level, the psychological immune system might "talk" to the physical immune system is still a matter of speculation. But scientists have begun to track where disgust is processed in the brain, and evidence suggests this region may also serve the function of making us repulsed by cruel or unethical people like corrupt politicians, shoplifters and wife beaters. Strange as it sounds, disgust may have played a major role in transforming our species into the most freakish of creatures: a moral animal.

neonix said:
Tristan said:
caffeine influences our cognitive functioning too [...] —"Caffeine is the most widely used drug in the world,

I noticed from my personal observations that caffeine and other types of alkaloids slowly increase psychopathisation of society. When you drink caffeine, your ego is rise because you feel energy boost and you feels like young god. You feel like you can do much more than before.

Your ability to fell empathy is decreasing. Especially when you are on caffeine withdrawal. Maybe this not always visible on single person level, but on macro scale, the whole society become less and less emphatic.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/this-is-how-your-brain-becomes-addicted-to-caffeine-26861037/?no-ist=

Hi neonix, i am not sure if i am speaking in detachment here , since i like black or creamed coffe with no sugar, but i don't think is cause for psychopathyc society per see, People develope adiction, and are less empathic when during withdrawal from it so that is an excelent point you made.
For me, one tops two do it coupled with cigarrete smoking, :cool2: I have noticed though people who drink toooo much coffe are never sober, and less apt to listen in context of conversation or exchanges.

Contributing stress factor deffinetly but for stress to turn from mere physical symptom to a full blown psychopathic society the missing link is te psychological factor on a mass scale, that is the media and constant visual and auditory toxic influences. Music as one of them are more shocking and constant displays of how to missbehave , adding to the stress from toxicity and physical inbalances from food and environment (coffe/withdrawalincluded) you have three elements to make a perfectly sick society , perfectly apathic.

Sick people have less chance to withstand psychological toxicity.

Human Brain Parasites: Don’t Look Away​

Story at a glance:
  • Brain and CNS parasitic infections are more common than we think
  • Close to 3 billion people worldwide are thought to be infected by Toxoplasma gondii alone
  • In Australia, unsuspecting doctors have extracted a live parasite known to infect carpet pythons out of a patient’s brain
  • There is a number of parasites that can infect the brain and the CNS, some are not easy to diagnose
  • There is most certainly no “one size fits all” cure, and it is very likely that the epidemic of dementia and neurological issues is in part a result of undiagnosed infections in the CNS and the brain (bacterial, fungal, parasitic, etc.)
  • Certain plants are known for their antimicrobial, antiparasitic and antifungal properties, and some of them can cross the BBB (blood-brain barrier)

Attachments

• human-brain-parasites-pdf.pdf
    257.2 KB · Views: 3
My friend is an aromatherapist who study with the institut Myrtéa. I ask her to make us a synergy against parasitism and in the link below are a list of essentials oils wich are efficient.
scrowl to the bottom of the page. Clik in each to have the full info of their properties. It's in french but you have the latin nomination if you want to find them in your country.

My friend is an aromatherapist who study with the institut Myrtéa. I ask her to make us a synergy against parasitism and in the link below are a list of essentials oils wich are efficient.
scrowl to the bottom of the page. Clik in each to have the full info of their properties. It's in french but you have the latin nomination if you want to find them in your country.

link is not good and i don(t know how to copy the right page so here are the name of the HE in latin.
cedrus deodora, juniperus oxycedrus L, origanum compactum, artemesia annua, ocimum basilicum sanctum, ocimum tenuiflorum.

or you tape parasite in the search bar of the page.

Back
Top Bottom