Today's show (#89 - 26 October 2014) begins one hour later

Niall

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Due to the switch to 'Winter Time' in Europe only, today's show will begin one hour later (at 3 pm) for our North American listeners.

So today's show is from 3-5pm EST, 12-2pm PST, 8-10pm CET.

[Who invented Daylight Savings Time anyway??! And why isn't there a universal switch?!]

Kniall said:
[Who invented Daylight Savings Time anyway??! And why isn't there a universal switch?!]

I'd say it wasn't invented, it was inflicted :D

Just a suggestion, could you state the broadcast in UTC and the the time that you are broadcasting from France instead of US time? That way, anyone can convert UTC time to local time by doing the appropriate adjustments. UTC time conversions can be found at the links below

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

or

http://time.is/UTC

or

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/utc

That daylight saving thing is interesting, seems quite unnecessary to me. Can't be good for people either, switching the daily rhythm twice a year by taking an hour and then adding it again.

The Mechanic said:
That daylight saving thing is interesting, seems quite unnecessary to me. Can't be good for people either, switching the daily rhythm twice a year by taking an hour and then adding it again.

In the province of Saskatchewan, they stopped switching to Daylight Savings Time years ago. When I first moved back from BC it was a real treat not having to move one's clock ahead an hour.

Redrock12 said:
In the province of Saskatchewan, they stopped switching to Daylight Savings Time years ago. When I first moved back from BC it was a real treat not having to move one's clock ahead an hour.

Yep, Belarus stopped changing its clocks either way in 2011. And now Russia decided to move to the Winter time and stay there. Sign of the times, I guess. :halo:

Keit said:
Redrock12 said:

Yep, Belarus stopped changing its clocks either way in 2011. And now Russia decided to move to the Winter time and stay there. Sign of the times, I guess. :halo:

Could be, considering what we know about Putin's Russia and that most of the West doesn't have any inclination to stick to one way in the soon future. Even when somebody's in the media talking about it, they talk about staying on Summer time (energy savings and whatever other reasons they can come up with to justify it).
Taking into account that Winter time is actually standard local time, people are probably more suited to it, than to artificially imposed rhythm that governments and corporations get with Summer (Daylight Savings) Time.

The Mechanic said:

Yea, the time switching thing seems pretty unnecessary to me as well! On another note, I thought today's show was again very informative, and funny too! Thank you Sott team.

What a bizarre world we live in. No one would even need to look so far afield to see that many things don't add up, the whole Ottawa event, ISIS wanting to shoot down passenger planes, the drifting Russian log in Sweden, etc.! :thdown:

Vulcan59 said:
Just a suggestion, could you state the broadcast in UTC and the the time that you are broadcasting from France instead of US time?

French time is 8pm CET, which we always announce, but sure, we could do that. That's 7pm UTC. I don't like UTC because it's from an era (soon to be past) when the British elites thought London was the center of the Universe.

Oxajil said:
The Mechanic said:

Yea, the time switching thing seems pretty unnecessary to me as well! On another note, I thought today's show was again very informative, and funny too! Thank you Sott team.

What a bizarre world we live in. No one would even need to look so far afield to see that many things don't add up, the whole Ottawa event, ISIS wanting to shoot down passenger planes, the drifting Russian log in Sweden, etc.! :thdown:

Permanent winter: Russia turns back clocks for last time

On this last October weekend, Russia turned its clocks one hour back - a practice that had been abolished for three years. But the daylight savings time (DST) policy remains abandoned, with the government's decision to stick to winter time permanently.

The decision not to change clocks and keep summer time all year round was applied in Russia by its then president Dmitry Medvedev in 2011. Russia's clocks were then put one hour forward, not to be changed again later, making Moscow GMT+4.

The three-year experiment of living on perpetual summer time has proven to be unpopular among many Russians for various reasons.

Some complained dark morning hours affected their body clocks badly, with people having to wake up for work or children go to school in complete darkness.

"Dark mornings have a worse effect on people’s state of health than dark evenings," the head of sleep medicine at the Federal Medical and Biological Agency, Aleksandr Kalinkin, told TASS news agency.

Wiki sez:

The New Zealander George Vernon Hudson proposed the modern idea of daylight saving in 1895. Germany and Austria-Hungary organized the first implementation, starting on 30 April 1916.

Ok, so they were in the middle of The Great War to End All Wars… but stopped everything in order to implement THAT??!

Curse you George Vernon Hudson!

Wiki then sez:

Putting clocks forward benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours, but can cause problems for evening entertainment and for other activities tied to the sun (such as farming)…

…eh, yeah, farming and consideration for people's work routines and agricultural growing cycles would be kinda higher on my list of priorities than Little Johnny playing his soccer match in sunlight or the store remaining open for another hour!

Thanks for another informative show Joe, Kniall, Juliana, Harrison.
As for the time change thing, as I'm retired and live alone, it doesn't really affect me one way or the other. I get up when the sky gets light on the eastern horizon, whether it's 4AM in the summer or 6:30AM in winter. Regardless of the season, I usually go to bed at 11PM.
Fwiw. ;)

Thanks Joe, Kniall, Juliana and Harrison for another great show. Very informative, humorous - and with a musical bonus too! :D

There have been a spate of bear attacks lately, covered by SOTT under Earth Changes. Generally I think they tend to act more aggressively when their habitat / cubs are directly threatened. So it seems like there is a correlation or it is symbolic somehow, that Vladimir Putin is ramping up his own rhetoric to protect the Russian Bear, as evidenced by his strongest speech yet against the Western Imperialists at Sochi, who are increasingly attacking and provoking him.

"God's may do what cattle may not. But the bear won't ask for permission".

http://www.sott.net/article/288001-Key-quotes-from-Putins-Valdai-speech-in-Sochi-His-strongest-yet-against-the-Western-Empire

It makes me wonder what event, as this geopolitical drama unfolds, may force him to play his '911 truth' card (or whatever else he has up his sleeve) - if indeed he does, and what implications that may have? Interesting times for sure.

Looking forward to next weeks show already! :)

Anam Cara said:
Thanks Joe, Kniall, Juliana and Harrison for another great show. Very informative, humorous - and with a musical bonus too! :D

I listened to the latest show this morning, and have to concur. It was very humorous, and informative (as usual).

SeekinTruth said:
I listened to the latest show this morning, and have to concur. It was very humorous, and informative (as usual).

Just finished listen to it too and it was very interesting and witty as usual! Thank you for the weekly treat! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom