That is what my hand can
Now's the only time I know

Do my hair, paint eyelash
Reappear in a flash
There is more I'd like to know

Nine-fifteen, then I'm done
Quiet front seat, then drive around
Through the water, through the snow

Always with Fever Ray it's this calm mystery that I find in it. :-)

BHelmet said:
So to reiterate and emphasize the free will part of the equation:

I request that everyone who posts here, please give a brief explanation of why anyone should listen; what is the song a reflection of; something; anything! That is just a request. I understand I don't have any right to expect anything and I don't. You can honor this request or not. I don't care if you do or don't; but I would like to ask, anyway.

Dude, relax. It's music. If you don't want to listen to it, don't. But don't impose your standards on the rest of the forum. I don't even understand why you would wish to force people to do any of those things above. Sometimes a song is just something that is nice to listen to and that's it. There doesn't have to be anything deeper. Just because that is how YOU do things, doesn't mean the rest of us should have to.

Heimdallr said:
BHelmet said:

I request that everyone who posts here, please give a brief explanation of why anyone should listen; what is the song a reflection of; something; anything! That is just a request. I understand I don't have any right to expect anything and I don't. You can honor this request or not. I don't care if you do or don't; but I would like to ask, anyway.

Dude, relax. It's music. If you don't want to listen to it, don't. But don't impose your standards on the rest of the forum. I don't even understand why you would wish to force people to do any of those things above. Sometimes a song is just something that is nice to listen to and that's it. There doesn't have to be anything deeper. Just because that is how YOU do things, doesn't mean the rest of us should have to.

Heimdalr and Bhelmet,

I find Bhelmet's "request" reasonable especially since he added "I don't care if you do or don't". But I suspect he may feeling a little down or disappointed with not having some back and forth discussion in this thread. The Music section has many other outlets/topics we can check out too. I like this one as a quick and easy way to just see what others are interested in from time to time. I think you are right Heimdalr as far as seeing this as a more general and relaxing spot to check out but on the other hand some of the posters here get a bit serious time to time.

Seeing that Bhelmet just made his thoughts known as a "request" that doesn't make him a controlling/predator minded person. I see the point that this is not the "rocket science" of music thread but I think we could all benefit by thinking about Bhelmet's "request". I'll just "relax" now. :whlchair:

Miss.K said:
Yes Sweet Virginia is a wonderful song (it comforts me, and always makes me smile), and I really like the record as a whole too.

When I was young I didn't listen to Rolling Stones, as I thought they were too commercial (and IMO they had gotten really bad in the 80's when I was a teenager) But then later when I though I better catch up some on mainstream musical culture and history too, I thought to check out if all the people who cherish Rolling Stones were on to something (so I listened to most albums up to "It's only R'n'R"), and Exile On Main Street was what I listened to most.
When after having listened regularly for some months, one early morning I was woken up by Rocks Off playing really really loud in my head, and I had to admit I was a fan too

BTW fantastic intro guitar in Rocks Off,
-but very difficult to copy as it is tuned differently than normal (and maybe it's 2 guitars playing at once, one normally tuned and one differently tuned?), and I don't know how to do that (I sometimes play guitar, badly, but just for fun)
I agree that after Tattoo You there hasn't really been a classic Stones record. But in their golden years they were unstoppable and for me in my early teens the embodiment of rebellion and freedom, as was Led Zeppelin and the other great bands of the era.
The riff intro to Rocks Off is in standard tuning to my ears, but Keef famously plays in open G and it could be that this is played in open tuning as well. :)

Heimdallr said:
BHelmet said:

I tried very carefully to NOT impose anything on anybody - just a request. Do you understand what a request is? It is not a demand or even a suggestion. Perhaps re-read the above. How many times did I say - do whatever you want? I count 4.

Yes, it's just music but not all music is 'just music' just as not all books are just books. Discernment and differentiation are important. Not all people are 'just' people. Some desire awakening and some are psychopaths. Should music be a topic that is exempt from 'the work'? For some the answer is yes. Music can be wonderful escapism. Fine. For me, music has been a key part of my journey of awakening. 'Nice to listen to' has its place and it's time, but for me it is generally not enough. I am speaking for myself only and not for anybody else.

BHelmet said:
I tried very carefully to NOT impose anything on anybody - just a request. Do you understand what a request is? It is not a demand or even a suggestion. Perhaps re-read the above. How many times did I say - do whatever you want? I count 4.

My apologies BHelmet. My post was definitely an overreaction to what you have written. I see now that you did state a number of times that this was just a request, an idea to spur discussion, which is what we're all about here. If people want to do it, they can. If they don't, no big deal. I'm sorry that misinterpreted your post and said what I did.

goyacobol said:
Heimdallr said:
BHelmet said:

Heimdalr and Bhelmet,

I find Bhelmet's "request" reasonable especially since he added "I don't care if you do or don't". But I suspect he may feeling a little down or disappointed with not having some back and forth discussion in this thread. The Music section has many other outlets/topics we can check out too. I like this one as a quick and easy way to just see what others are interested in from time to time. I think you are right Heimdalr as far as seeing this as a more general and relaxing spot to check out but on the other hand some of the posters here get a bit serious time to time.

Seeing that Bhelmet just made his thoughts known as a "request" that doesn't make him a controlling/predator minded person. I see the point that this is not the "rocket science" of music thread but I think we could all benefit by thinking about Bhelmet's "request". I'll just "relax" now. :whlchair:

Hi goyacobol - thanks for your thoughtful intervention - just a note - I am neither down nor disappointed. I was just trying to up the ante. But if the What Are You Listening To is just a general place to share without much added, I understand and can easily just let it go. I can post potentially conversation-provoking music-related stuff in some other thread if this one is more of a "Lite" version.

Heimdallr said:
BHelmet said:

My apologies BHelmet. My post was definitely an overreaction to what you have written. I see now that you did state a number of times that this was just a request, an idea to spurn discussion, which is what we're all about here. If people want to do it, they can. If they don't, no big deal. I'm sorry that misinterpreted your post and said what I did.

Hey, no worries.

skycsil said:
sarahelizabeth said:
skycsil, I am a huge Damian Rice fan. This is one of my all time favourites:

Damian Rice - 9 Crimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgqOSCgc8xc&noredirect=1

Thanks, sarahelizabeth! I ussually listen metal music, but I have my girlie days ;D
Here's a beautiful version of one of his songs, performed by one of my favorite female artists:

https://youtu.be/eyni32LvWm4

That's an awesome take on a beautiful song, skycsil. Love it. I would have to say I like all types of music - except metal. Haha :P

As per BHelmet's request, here is one I'd love to have some discussion around:

Collapse The Light Into Earth by Porcupine Tree

https://youtu.be/m8CLpbN_DwM

Lyrics:

I won't shiver in the cold
I won't let the shadows take their toll
I won't cover my head in the dark
And I won't forget you when we part

Collapse the Light Into Earth

I won't heal given time
I won't try to change your mind
I won't feel better in the cold light of day
But I wouldn't stop you if you wanted to stay

Collapse the Light Into Earth

This song gives me motivation on the days that seem to be the biggest struggle, which is interesting. The lyrics are somewhat motivational in the first verse, in the second verse they get a little depressing, somehow it's comforting to me. I guess it's got to do with the music building as the song goes on, all I can think is "yeah, I got this!". Thoughts?

I discovered that video just a few weeks ago, I had no idea they sang together! Tori also has a strange cover of Slayer's Raining Blood :cool:

Yeah I'm pretty sure she did a whole cover album, Big Red or something like that, although I don't think it was an "official" album. The Slayer cover is interesting ;) I must say I do really like the cover of Smells like Teen Spirit :cool2:

https://youtu.be/wcHNZVrxEts

Hithere said:
The riff intro to Rocks Off is in standard tuning to my ears, but Keef famously plays in open G and it could be that this is played in open tuning as well. :)
Yes I think that might be it, the dededede is not so hard to make sound similar, but the dodondodon I cant get right.

Sometimes I ride quietly with my own thoughts while on my drive to and from work, but the last few days I've been cruising while listening to the Appleseed Collective -- this tune, "Sysiphit is infectious, and the mandolin player just rocks. Today was the first time I've really examined the song titles and lyrics. Since I wasn't familiar with the word, Sysiphit, I looked it up and found some info based in mythology - the song is obviously related, yet I noticed the spelling is inconsistent.

For what it's worth here's the wiki on Sisiphus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

...and a link to the album for listening.
https://theappleseedcollective.bandcamp.com/album/baby-to-beast Track 8 - Wonder if that was chosen specifically - as being turned on it's side it's the infinity symbol. Hmmmm.

Never gonna stop pushing that rock...

Symbolically, the story of Sisiphus is a repetitious loop of the same ol' suffering, day in and day out. One interpretation suggest that:
Sisyphus also personifies humanity and its disastrous pursuit of perfection by any means necessary, in which the great rock repeatedly rushing down the mount symbolizes the accelerating pace of unsustainable civilization toward cataclysmic collapse and cultural oblivion that ends each historical age and restarts the sisyphean cycle

BHelmet said:
Art said:
I would like to elaborate a comment on this one some day. I have been bewitched by this song since long time ago, and I have come-up with some rather unsettling theories about it.

Blinded by the Light
Manfred Mann's Earth Band

- words and music by Bruce Springsteen

So what are you waiting for? Let's hear your 'take'! You have my curiosity now!

And hey - you don't need to post an mp3 of this - I think it is engraved everyone's brain who was born in the 20th century who is still alive.

And I agree - there is a LOT that is unsettling about this...'thing'.
And a lot unsettling about the fact that it STILL gets airplay.

BHelmet, I just wanted to add that there is nothing about Bruce Springsteen that would make me want to listen to his music. Maybe it's because I wasn't born in the USA. Personally I have nothing against him, and I wouldn't discourage anyone else from being a fan of his.
I come from a bygone era, (I can remember Gene Autry!) and some of the modern music just turns me cold.
Some of it hurts my ears, and some of it I can't understand the lyrics. Must be old age..
Perhaps it's odd that I called myself MusicMan, but I played hot gospel in church for twenty years, so it comes from that.

Back
Top Bottom