What globe? Flat Earth and Flat-Earthers

No, it is not about theory but about those who adhere to it
So i've been thinking to post it for some time but wasn't sure how to approach the subject
For some time now i'm observing disturbing trend in collective psyche of conspiracy minded telegram community, an absolute divorce from rationality and logic coupled with more or less violent response to contradicting opinions.
I've been trying to understand psychology of this phenomenon and i'm still far from full understanding of it.
So as you probably know, flat earthers generally are not argument capable and will usually send you off to their preferred online flatfluencer in order to you to inform yourself about answers to your questions, while this is partly understandable it is the sign that they don't really understand or know the narration and take the theory on face value. This is quite terrifying as the whole story of flat earth under the false firmament, projected stars and sun as a giant light bulb suspended in the clouds is outrageously out of mind, but still does not ring the bells in their heads, or even if does, then it still doesn't stop them from being quite aggressive preachers of this new paradigm.
And aggressive they are, i got few quite epic unprovoked battles with them over their "religion"
Really, other people beliefs are not exactly my problem and it doesn't concern me as much, cause we live in times of madness and this is one of the symptoms, but there are few things came to my mind while observing this spectacle
The whole flat earth thing is more mainstream then it could ever get by itself, thus i'm suspecting giant psyop
Adherers show the symptoms of mind controlled zombies, devoid of reason and quite aggressive
This obviously derails the truth searchers into false track and totally absorbs them thus they become nonthreatening
I have suspicion that it can get to schools as the new normal (yes decade ago 1001 gender looked ridiculous too) and i expect more of creaziness is on the way
So we who will manage to stay sane through the storm, may as c's said, have a role of bearers of the light / truth knowledge after all

As delusional as flatearthers and their flatfluencers (didn't know this term) are, they're still less dangerous than those who believe in Global Warming[TM], Big Pharma (the "Science" with its prophet Fauci and demi-god Gates). These delusions kill while flat earth is a silly distraction for internet people. It's better not to waste time in these debates. I suspect there is a large tendency of people divorcing from reality, gender fluidity and flat earth are but some visible symptoms. One could speculate that open-world games and VR (or a combination) will take this tendency even further.
On the other hand, flat earth serves two purposes: it discredits true questioning of PTB propaganda through association and straw-man ridicule (you don't believe the government wants our best interests? You must believe the earth is flat), and it offers an intellectual trap, a cul-de-sac, where the individual spends energy and time in some nonsense (flat earth) instead of searching for the truth.

s-l1200.jpg

I just stumbled upon this thread, so I'm going to share some of my thoughts, so on the picture above is a card from the Illuminati card game made in 1975, the game apparently has some cards which you could say predicted some things. So while looking through some cards online some time ago I stumbled upon this card. And I began thinking, the earth is obviously round, what else could be here. And I thought what if there are other lands, what if this is just a portion of the earth, and days later I was listening to a podcast, there was a woman, she is a hypnotherapist from my country and she talked about UFO abductions and she said that in one of her sessions she asked the abductee if he could look out the window of the UFO, and he or she apparently saw that this know earth to us was just a part of the earth and there are other lands I guess. That's a weird synchronicity between my thoughts and this. I don't believe in this, but who knows.

Some other cards from the game:
f94a690db51ad25690bbc746558ae028.jpg

Interesting cards! (And new term coined: Flatulencers!)

But it’s always good to look in the mirror with the same lens applied to others. Underground bases and living areas under the earths surface with incubating revived dead people sending out bad vibes, for example. I am sure many groups might look at that idea and think, wow, more crazy than the flat liners!

Happy-go-lucky on the blanket finality of absolutely certainty of judgement on bizarre hypotheses. There is always an element of doubt. I think Jesusocrates would agree.

That's true, we here too have quite bizarre ideas, not really far off from theirs.
Really i don't think entertaining idea of flat earth and distant undiscovered lands is anything bad in itself, to be honest world would be much more interesting if that was true.
My first thought on the subject was that people are wasting time wandering in blind alley, and tried to talk them a bit back to balance but while they were mostly open to whole spectrum of other ideas this one is an immovable, solid and inviolable belief, and due to that my feeling has changed into worry that whole movement have a hidden nefarious agenda which for now is not really visible, on another hand, as mkrnhr says it is general trend of divorcing from reality, maybe life becomes to hard for some so they have to look for escape in their own imagined version of it.
Honestly, to some extent they may even be right, perhaps our world looks as we see it, only while observed from perspective of our dimension, and somewhere more up the dimensional ladder, you could perceive it as small reality enclosed under "firmament" similarly to gold fish enclosed in aquarium ball, perhaps there are other worlds (aquarium balls) placed along on the same "table" of some cosmic scientist, thus idea of honeycomb world, yes it exist :)
I won't delve into idea of sun as giant light bulb :rotfl:
But all of that, is another, nonphysical level of understanding.

Nice cards by the way, are you sure they really are from '70 and not some modern make?
burning pentagon is yet to come i imagine :)

View attachment 85736

I just stumbled upon this thread, so I'm going to share some of my thoughts, so on the picture above is a card from the Illuminati card game made in 1975, the game apparently has some cards which you could say predicted some things. So while looking through some cards online some time ago I stumbled upon this card. And I began thinking, the earth is obviously round, what else could be here. And I thought what if there are other lands, what if this is just a portion of the earth, and days later I was listening to a podcast, there was a woman, she is a hypnotherapist from my country and she talked about UFO abductions and she said that in one of her sessions she asked the abductee if he could look out the window of the UFO, and he or she apparently saw that this know earth to us was just a part of the earth and there are other lands I guess. That's a weird synchronicity between my thoughts and this. I don't believe in this, but who knows.

Some other cards from the game:
View attachment 85740
it looks like this game is loosely based on

I have been surprised how many people actually believe the flat Earth nonsense, including otherwise intelligent people.

Most Westerners who moved to the South American country where I am are "conspiracy theorists", including myself. What I noticed is that it is usually those who woke up during covid who fall for the flat Earth ideas. The problem seems to be that they have not found trustworthy sources yet, so they tend to just believe almost every conspiracy theory without checking.

Some interesting arguments I heard:
- People saw the island of Reunion from Mauritius on a clear day, which should be impossible due to curvature and distance (could have been some type of fata morgana effect in tropical waters maybe?)
- The "as above so below" argument based on the bible and other old spiritual teachings
- That there are no actual photos of Earth from space, that they are all composites (mostly just one in particular), etc.
- That flights from Europe to the southern US go over Iceland, Greenland and Canada instead of going straight across the ocean.

My favorite simple proof that the Earth cannot be flat are the differences between the northern and southern hemispheres in a flat Earth model. Most of them place the North Pole at the center of the disc and Antarctica as the outer rim. This means however that distances in the northern hemisphere are much smaller than if you fly from Australia to South America or South Africa in the southern hemisphere.

And there are in fact regular flights from Chile to Sydney for example. If the Earth was flat, these flights would take at least 2-3 times longer than flying the same distance in the northern hemisphere.

I have been surprised how many people actually believe the flat Earth nonsense, including otherwise intelligent people.

Most Westerners who moved to the South American country where I am are "conspiracy theorists", including myself. What I noticed is that it is usually those who woke up during covid who fall for the flat Earth ideas. The problem seems to be that they have not found trustworthy sources yet, so they tend to just believe almost every conspiracy theory without checking.

Some interesting arguments I heard:
- People saw the island of Reunion from Mauritius on a clear day, which should be impossible due to curvature and distance (could have been some type of fata morgana effect in tropical waters maybe?)
- The "as above so below" argument based on the bible and other old spiritual teachings
- That there are no actual photos of Earth from space, that they are all composites (mostly just one in particular), etc.
- That flights from Europe to the southern US go over Iceland, Greenland and Canada instead of going straight across the ocean.

My favorite simple proof that the Earth cannot be flat are the differences between the northern and southern hemispheres in a flat Earth model. Most of them place the North Pole at the center of the disc and Antarctica as the outer rim. This means however that distances in the northern hemisphere are much smaller than if you fly from Australia to South America or South Africa in the southern hemisphere.

And there are in fact regular flights from Chile to Sydney for example. If the Earth was flat, these flights would take at least 2-3 times longer than flying the same distance in the northern hemisphere.
Yeah, that's my issue with the whole story, there is way too much people believing this theory and they are not necessarily from the dumb side of spectrum, and you just nailed it, they have no criteria and swallow all even most outrageous and fake clips from youtube without second thought and actually get angry if you point it that it is obvious fake. So it is not about flat earth anymore, which stayed way behind in the long list of impossible things.
I can understand that someone plays with cgi at home and create nice visualizations of black hole swallowing our moon, but can't understand people taking it as real.
There may be something onto your hint that it is related to covid shock and they still didn't develop capability of discerning or are in phase of happy discovery of infinite possibilities, i'm just suspicious they may not ever recover from deep dive into craziness they went in.
And it is sad because we are loosing a quite chunk of humanity, chunk that was waking up and discovering false reality we live in but swinged to another extreme and barricaded itself there

I actually know one personally. Yes, a smart "conspiracy theorist" like us, and in-the-know about many things, yet recently has favored flat earth. It's just the way disinformation and misinformation work. Probably everyone here knows how.

As for psychological principles at work. Our first impulse, upon hearing something, typically, is to believe it, especially if heard from someone reasonably known, trusted, or in a position of authority, if the message does not strongly contradict a firm belief. I call it one of the "secrets of governance" - that bag of psychological tricks leveraged throughout history by those wishing to control via information/disinformation. Lies are leveraged successfully, in part, because of this tendency, and that most don't research opposing views/arguments adequately, especially after the lie is accepted.
flat earthers generally are not argument capable and will usually send you off to their preferred online flatfluencer in order to you to inform yourself about answers to your questions, while this is partly understandable it is the sign that they don't really understand or know the narration and take the theory on face value.
Another is that some people enjoy exploring new-to-them ideas and theories, especially if the subject matter is interesting to them or perceived to affect them directly, and they get caught up in the arguments and apparent proofs, probably without strict application of critical thinking and analysis. This may result in false beliefs and the inability to defend them adequately.

Another is that some people actually like to adopt theories just because it sets them apart or makes them feel superior.

Yet another is that some are swayed by a large community of believers in something. But a large community can be built easily if effort is applied. Consider that the average IQ is 100 (by definition) and half are lower than that. Critical thinking is not well or uniformly encouraged in modern education. STS world of deceit. Perfect storm.

Maybe belief in flat earth is a symptom of the increasing polarization over all kinds of things nowadays. Or maybe a noticeable effect that divide-and-conquer strategies are working.
But it’s always good to look in the mirror with the same lens applied to others.
Subject to human nature, I think we are all guilty of all these tendencies, to some extent.

Admittedly, when I studied flat earth, I also came up with wonderful, original proofs against it, but can't even remember them now, so I cannot defend my opposing conclusion as convincingly as I'd like. ;-) Information overload and it just wasn't that important to me.

I'm curious.

How do the people of the flat earth solve the hours of light and darkness, the absence of light in winter at the north pole and the absence of light at the south pole in summer, that the rest of the celestial stars have a spherical shape, gravitation and its laws in a flat world, the movement of fluids in our seas...?

It's a joke.

If they can explain the above with some coherence, they would have to be video game designers.

Exchanging arguments and facts with them is a total waste of time, i'm pretty accustomed to that and won't even try, but question remain
why?
and this have me perplexed and keeps me digging
Another is that some people actually like to adopt theories just because it sets them apart or makes them feel superior.
This actually is a quite big truth about them, refusing to accept their narrative, on numerous cases brought me to the point where they in their impotence were starting to subconsciously give away sentiments calling me ignorant, jacked on tv etc. while they were presenting themselves as perfectly informed, cause for example since morning they did watch hundreds of conspiracies around the net.
of course suggestion, that wild conspiracies out of rubbish bin don't count, didn't help
So perhaps we have psychological factor at play, people who has discovered that whole life they were cheated on by the system, have a giant need to solve their feeling of being lied to, and feeling of being stupid (they not necessarily are)

in fact it is curious question, cause it would give us a hint on how deep into the past goes their planning in such a detail.
If those particular cards are based on book then WTC building were build in '73 and apparently in '75 their fate would be known, so they would be build with idea of bringing them down.
Perhaps designing covid was not that much spectacular level of planning and neither was a social justice, burning pentagon does not impress me much cause it is a obvious target in many war / terror scenarios, i did even assume it is still to come, cause last one wasn't really real event.
But WTC is a whole other dimension and leave no room for "coincidence"

Back
Top Bottom