What is the most important thing to do by newbie, in context of work?

Hitsu

Padawan Learner
As in subject:
"What is the most important thing to do by newbie, in context of work?"

My thoughts:
1. Read Laura Knight-Jadczyk Wave Series?

2. Read all Gurdjieff books?

3. Read some topics from "Important threads for The Work" thread? http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,14206.0.html

4. Visit sitemap and read topics which you are most interested in? http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/site_map_qfg.htm

5. Just start some basic "esoteric work" to determine if you are pre-adamic or adamic, and if 'work' does make sense to you.

6. Above points doesn't describe the crucial thing you need to do... it is something else...

Background:
I don't have much experience in terms of work. I have only read Ouspensky main book "In Search of the Miraculous".
I didn't read any books from G., Laura, Mouravieff or other authors. Only Peter D. Ouspensky.

I have read some terms from Cassiopaea glossary : organic portal, 4th way, Mouravieff etc

I practice medidation daily with double impressions technique (extracted from ISOTM).
That's all.

When I finish writing my MSc thesis, I will probably dig very seriously into work.
Right now I don't have much time...

There is a proverb:
Experience is the best school.
Only, tuition is very expensive.

Sartre

So read, explore, ask questions, learn perceive things that before you did not even notice, you discover, knows the new self, first and foremost you have to be willing and able, find the time, because who has finished learning,
finished and grow.

Elders might have more insight to this than me, but my 2 cents:

I think that reading the Wave series and ISOTM is a good first step, and so are your other suggestions,
but I don't necessarily think that one should put off participating until it is done. (as long as one understands that this forum is about those studies)

I think the path is different for different people, and that many rivers lead to the ocean.
I also think that both a planned list of how to approach the work, and a more "coincidental" falling into it can work.

I've gotten a lot of very valuable info from reading the forum, as well as recommended reading, and at times it seems as if I'm thinking about something, then someone happens to post about something similar, or someone resurrect an old thread that is about something similar, and so I can go through the process with them from just observing from the side. Though sometimes this can be taking without giving when one don't post but only read, there are also times where posting would just be saying something that is already said, so it wouldn't add anything, and so I think it can be OK (depends on the situation)

I'd recommend you read the Wave series / start 'cleaning your machine'. The list of recommended books offers information that supports ones personal 'machine-cleaning':
If you are new to the recommended books, the 'Health and Diet' as well as 'Narcissism "Big Five"' sections are highly recommended places to start; these subjects are important because physical and psychological functioning is the basis of all we do.

In other words, hard to take in crucial, new information if your 'machine' (body & brain/mind) isn't working well.

kalibex said:
I'd recommend you read the Wave series / start 'cleaning your machine'. The list of recommended books offers information that supports ones personal 'machine-cleaning':
If you are new to the recommended books, the 'Health and Diet' as well as 'Narcissism "Big Five"' sections are highly recommended places to start; these subjects are important because physical and psychological functioning is the basis of all we do.

In other words, hard to take in crucial, new information if your 'machine' (body & brain/mind) isn't working well.
I would agree, to have basic knowledge of what the Work is would be a fundamental part of the Work, therefore the core material i.e. the Wave, and others from the recommended reading list is vital. Without it you would not understand the language here on the forum and it would hinder your ability to contribute and get the most from advise.
Plus of course cleaning your machine so you have the energy to carry out the work.
Every day is a work day! I write a list of things I would like to achieve each day and tick them off as I go, each one equally as important as the next IMO.

Hitsu said:
As in subject:

My thoughts:
For Sure!

2. Read all Gurdjieff books?
Maybe for some time later, but reading all of them might take some time, and as yours seems to be rather limited, perhaps a more rounded reading list is better.

3. Read some topics from "Important threads for The Work" thread? http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,14206.0.html
Yes, and also the recommended books list and guide is here:
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33092.0.html

4. Visit sitemap and read topics which you are most interested in? http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/site_map_qfg.htm

5. Just start some basic "esoteric work" to determine if you are pre-adamic or adamic, and if 'work' does make sense to you.
Sounds like you have already started and it does make sense for you to continue.

Background:
I don't have much experience in terms of work. I have only read Ouspensky main book "In Search of the Miraculous".
I didn't read any books from G., Laura, Mouravieff or other authors. Only Peter D. Ouspensky.

I have read some terms from Cassiopaea glossary : organic portal, 4th way, Mouravieff etc

I practice medidation daily with double impressions technique (extracted from ISOTM).

A much better meditation exercise which has done wonders for many of us here is Eiriu Eolas and you can try it for free or purchase the program at the site: http://eiriu-eolas.org/

When I finish writing my MSc thesis, I will probably dig very seriously into work.
Right now I don't have much time...
Just do whatever you can whenever you can. This is what most of us here do too. It is great that you have joined with us here. You are always welcome to ask for whatever help you may need.

My personal opinion is that the most important thing is to always ask "why".

- Why did WTC7 collapse at free fall?

- Why is there such an increase in heavenly objects entering our atmosphere?

- Why is it that the "leaders" do not seem to have the interests of the human race included in their decisions?

- Why is it that I believe that watching movies and TV (as well as other mass media) does not somehow affect me?

- Why do I "feel special" and is it "justified"?

There is an infinite number of "why" questions you could ask, but you have to ask them all - and more importantly seek the answers. The most important "why" questions are the ones you cannot easily answer...

This thread my be helpful. http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,30858.0.html

It lead to this book http://www.amazon.com/Life-Religion-Daily-Exercises-Mind-ebook/dp/B00ED1QDYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405104083&sr=8-1&keywords=life+is+religion.

I purchased it last week and carry it with me now. It keeps me on track. I was getting flustered with not knowing exactly what "the work" entails. I was searching for a list last week hoping I could find something that broke down more detailed, low and behold... They made a book! Yay!

Hitsu said:
As in subject:

My thoughts:

yes, yes yes!!!.... I would start by reading these books first, then by the time you're done with them, you will have an understanding of this 3D we're in, while reading you will start to get tips and pointers of which books and things to do from Laura... it is quite interesting they way all evolves... my two cents.. :cool2:

I think in the beginning, learning external consideration and trying not to drain other people. I think reading the Wave makes sense as the first books.

You'll probably learn things that you want to share with other people, but that's when to remember external consideration and not share if they don't want to hear it.

Got to agree the wave series first. I'm revisiting for a second time now, you could not start at a better place.

Hi Hitsu,

You're right, there's a lot of material, so it's good you are looking for a methodical way to get through it. That's what the Introductory Post is for when newbies first come to the forum.

As has been mentioned, The Wave really is the best place to start (find the link in the post above). It will give you a good grounding in the subjects of interest here. Then you can go through the Recommended Reading on what subjects interest you. Eirui Eolas is very important too.

Happy studying!

Motile bags of molecules, on the surface of a rock ,hurtling through space, that foolishly believe anything they do makes a difference.
Ha ha, been on the way for 35 years, forget about the complicated stuff.
The exercise: "watch" yourself from above and behind, try as hard as you can for as long as you can, try not to let it affect your day. Just watch your plain old self.
Oops, I forgot to watch, like for a few days!!! Hey, what was going on when I wasn't watching!!!!
Keep at it and don't get caught up in the "emotional rapture".
Count by 2's and 3's to 100 and back to strengthen your ability to "divide your attention"
Keep at it

debunker said:
Motile bags of molecules, on the surface of a rock ,hurtling through space, that foolishly believe anything they do makes a difference.
Ha ha, been on the way for 35 years, forget about the complicated stuff.
The exercise: "watch" yourself from above and behind, try as hard as you can for as long as you can, try not to let it affect your day. Just watch your plain old self.
Oops, I forgot to watch, like for a few days!!! Hey, what was going on when I wasn't watching!!!!
Keep at it and don't get caught up in the "emotional rapture".
Count by 2's and 3's to 100 and back to strengthen your ability to "divide your attention"
Keep at it

Welcome to the Forum, Debunker :)

Seeing this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

thank you Hitsu for this question, and thank you all for suggestions ... I still feel like I am buzzing around as I am tickling at everything bits by bits, some how it is difficult to focus to do one at the time, like first this than that .... don't know ... but I definitely found reading G. and Ouspensky really gets me off the ground to look for more focused :lkj: work ..

Back
Top Bottom