What's the weather where you are?

In keeping with the heat waves currently experienced globally, Hong Kong has had its hottest June in since 1884 (record keeping began).

Excerpt from the HK Observatory report :

June 2015 was the hottest June in Hong Kong since records began in 1884. The monthly mean temperature of 29.7 degrees was 1.8 degrees above the normal figure of 27.9 degrees and broke the previous record of 29.0 degrees set in 2014 by a wide margin of 0.7 degree. Both the monthly mean minimum temperature of 27.7 degrees and the monthly mean maximum temperature of 32.3 degrees ranked the highest for June.

Croatia today:

image.jpg

Sunny and very, very hot

Some very serious heat wave struck the EurAsian continent from England to Central Asia, i read an article on Sott and it said that Paris has broken the temperature record ( temperature reaching 40° C), the second highest temperature record being recorded in 1873...

This morning in Canberra, the temperature was hovering at 4 Celsius, after a low of minus 5.
I went outside to check the fog which is persisting after mid day and discovered it was filled with smoke, making a kind of smog.
I checked the local fires on the internet and found that there is an out of control fire burning in Cooma, which is 100 miles south of here.
I'm thinking it must be a big fire to be making itself evident this far north.
It's rough country down there too, so it may be difficult to put out.
I'm staying indoors so I don't have to breathe the stuff.

casper said:
Croatia today:

image.jpg

Sunny and very, very hot

Same here in Macedonia. Last week it was realy cold and it doesn't look like summer at all , but last 2-3 days its really sunny and hot. What a change in a very short time

Croatia
Daily temperatures climb above 35 degrees, the Adriatic Sea is 25-27 degrees, night temperatures have become as daily (last couple of days), predictions are that if the whole month of July to be like this .
:-[ -No, I was not embarrassed, but ther is no photos of I would like to show you my picture, in fact I was so red in the face from the sun, because my new job requires work outside, it is completely unbearable.

casper said:
:-[ -No, I was not embarrassed, but ther is no photos of I would like to show you my picture, in fact I was so red in the face from the sun, because my new job requires work outside, it is completely unbearable.

To be on the safe side, its better if you don’t provide pictures that might readily identify you... gasslighting, gang stalking, comes to my mind - better safe than sorry osit

Just saying - well at least not on the public forum.

Davida said:
casper said:

To be on the safe side, its better if you don’t provide pictures that might readily identify you... gasslighting, gang stalking, comes to my mind - better safe than sorry osit

Just saying - well at least not on the public forum.
I did not mean to send my picture, do not worry, I just wanted to say that there is no thumbnails: :) :D :lol: ;) ;D :P :(....
(as above, so you can choose) that showed burned and red face.
Misunderstanding in writing, I am now :-[

We're in the middle of a heatwave and looming drought here on the west coast of British Columbia with no rain in the foreseeable future. I've lived here for 9 years and never experienced anything like it. I've attached (hopefully) a picture of what Vancouver looked like yesterday. The winds have been blowing in reverse of usual, coming from the interior, Alberta and Saskatchewan bringing the smoke from the multiple fires, swinging around and coming in from the west. Very weird, and SO hot! It was 100F yesterday.

Attachments

• Vancouver smoke.PNG
    Vancouver smoke.PNG
    356.7 KB · Views: 147
The forest fire situation in Northern Saskatchewan is in a crisis stage, with no sign of rain in the forecast. Over 13000 people have been evacuated.
And the smoke is blanketing all of Saskatchewan, in fact all the way to Texas, as well as the West Coast, as Blufyre mentioned.
As well, the prairie region is experiencing extremely dry weather, in contrast to the last 3-4 years when rainfall records were being broken, and crops were rotting in the fields. Now they're just withering away.
The only mitigating factor is moderate temperatures, with the exception of 2-3 days in the past two weeks when temperatures reached 30-32 Celsius. Yesterday and today it was only 19 and 20 degrees. With the exception of this Saturday's temp forecast to be 30, the temps are forecast be in the mid-20s for the next two weeks.
The one big positive is that there are no mosquitoes.

The thermometers have marked some 44 degrees under the sun in several regions of Spain. It reminds me of the heat wave back in 2003.

I was in Madrid over the weekend and there was a gay festival :thdown: Pierre's articles came to mind. It was completely ridiculous distraction from important events like the Greek referendum. At least there was also a march in support for the Greeks as well. Police cars were following it around.

The heat, the gay festival, the shopping sales, the protests, the police... Yeah, typical scene from our times.

While driving back home, I could rarely see people outside. Arriving back home felt like coming into a ghost town. In the night when it was cooler, people reappeared.

I prefer the cold!! :/

Gaby said:
The thermometers have marked some 44 degrees under the sun in several regions of Spain. It reminds me of the heat wave back in 2003.

[...]

Indeed, 2003 was very intense in BC/Alberta Canada, too. That year, the fire indices became extreme by mid July moving into August. The fire weather index (FWI) for Drought Codes (DC) for instance was off the grid. Then, like in some places now, lightning strikes resulted in near 100% ignition.

Bluefyre said:
We're in the middle of a heatwave and looming drought here on the west coast of British Columbia with no rain in the foreseeable future. I've lived here for 9 years and never experienced anything like it. I've attached (hopefully) a picture of what Vancouver looked like yesterday. The winds have been blowing in reverse of usual, coming from the interior, Alberta and Saskatchewan bringing the smoke from the multiple fires, swinging around and coming in from the west. Very weird, and SO hot! It was 100F yesterday.

Not good for Vancouver. Much of that smoke, although shared, is from the NE Pemberton fire (> 5,000 ha), and it's still growing. However, five more fires in the coastal region (Cougar Creek, Dog Mountain, Elaho, Old Sechelt Mine, Tsulquate River) are adding to the mix. The island fires are very scary, imo, insofar as that fuel type, its age and the rugged ground make it daunting to engage. Winds in all of these cases, due to coastal and inland mountainous daytime heating complexes, carries other extreme factors.

As Redrock12 stated, Northern Saskatchewan is in a real tough situation with the current wind flow pattern, and indices that have it in tinderbox conditions. Without topographical breaks, and although there are many lakes in the North, crowning fires will carry fast and far. Those evacuations will be hard on people with much loss.

Unfortunately, there is still close to 2 months of prime fire weather until overnight recoveries (dew) starts to help; although mother nature ultimately decides the outcome.

Here are a couple of useful sites (Canada) - Interactive map of Canada - http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/interactive-map?zoom=0&lon=416654&lat=1858768&month=7&day=7&year=2015 (you can play around with the data fields). And the current Lightning Map - (some US states, too.) http://weather.gc.ca/lightning/index_e.html

Gaby said:

I think you would find the summer here a relief from yours! :)

In central Finland the temperatures have been varying between about 10 and 16 degrees C mostly, and sunny days mixed with probably more cloudy and rainy days. There has been some bright and sunny days with people out in shorts and t-shirts in about 20 degrees or more temperature, but not very many.

When I have been swimming in the lakes here, they have been around 16 degrees C or so.

EDIT: and to add, the farmers around here are worried about crop failures or very poor grades due to too much rain.

Heatwave ended abruptly in Northern Adriatic, Venezia, with tornado that claimed two lives and in northern parts of Croatia with some baseball sized hail..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EfOYcaCz0

South Central Wisconsin (Upper Midwest, USA)

Cooler than reported average temperatures right now; left windows open last night and woke with cold feet! Love it!
We'll have a few days building up to higher temps and humidity, a front comes through, it rains, then it's cooler for a couple of days and then it starts warming. Actually, aside from the mosquito hatch that happened a few weeks ago, it has been a very pleasant Spring and Summer so far. Right amount of rain, right amount sun, temperatures relatively mild. Cool nights welcomed.

Reminds me of vacationing "up nort", though. :/

All in all, the severe/extreme weather seems to be missing this area, so far...

Back
Top Bottom