What's the weather where you are?

Eastern NC, USA here. Chilly and gray. Days seem longer than usual this time of year. Roses are blooming out of season.

10 degrees, not a snowflake in sight, the grass is green in the rain outside. The forecast is for temperatures well above zero until next year. Dark and wet and no fun when this usually is the main season to get out a lot skiing. :(

By the looks of this, I think we'll be reading shortly about severe storm damage is some southern states. Purple is very unusual and powerful. (Now around 3:40am Eastern time zone.)

http://www.intellicast.com/Global/Satellite/Infrared.aspx?location=USKS0112&animate=true

FWIW.

Upper Midwest/southern Wisconsin, US

Damp, dreary, foggy, rainy and temps well above normal/freezing, for ALL of December so far,... well, except for one day. So depressing, and with the full moon tomorrow? Will have to be on guard for "loose cannons".
WHERE's the SUN? Haven't had a sunny day since......?
Tempted to visit a tanning salon just to get the FEELING of having been in the sun.

Western NC, USA: it's in the lower 60s F and rainy. Doesn't look like winter/christmas weather at all and the forecast says it's supposed to be around 70F for the next 4 days or so. The daily low for the next few days is surprising too--lower 60s at night, so it's going to be quite warm for this time of year.

I also visited central VA, USA a few days ago and saw trees that looked quite strange to me: it's been quite warm lately and so it was warm there as well, but these trees still had green leaves on them, but were losing leaves as though it was fall, so there were red leaves and yellow leaves as well. I was taken aback as these trees really looked like they would in fall and I was surprised that they still had leaves at all. Very strange, in my opinion.

Lots of thunder, lightning, and rain throughout the night and this morning. At one point the thunder was so strong I felt the ground/house shake for a few seconds. The temperature here in North Carolina is unseasonably warm and Christmas Day we're expecting 70 (F) degree weather with more rain. :cry:

Nancy2feathers said:
Lots of thunder, lightning, and rain throughout the night and this morning. At one point the thunder was so strong I felt the ground/house shake for a few seconds. The temperature here in North Carolina is unseasonably warm and Christmas Day we're expecting 70 (F) degree weather with more rain. :cry:

Yes this is a crazy storm, not being from the South I don't know if this is "normal" for Dec. What strikes me that this might be unusual is how long the storm is lasting, it continued all through the night with lots of thunder and lightning with no breaks, The storm has not let up today and it's about 11:00am. We just found out a bridge collapsed just down the road due to all the rain.

kawika said:
Nancy2feathers said:

Yes this is a crazy storm, not being from the South I don't know if this is "normal" for Dec. What strikes me that this might be unusual is how long the storm is lasting, it continued all through the night with lots of thunder and lightning with no breaks, The storm has not let up today and it's about 11:00am. We just found out a bridge collapsed just down the road due to all the rain.

Oh, no! I'll be thinking about you all, and I hope you stay safe. :hug:

kawika said:
Nancy2feathers said:

Yes, and more thunderstorms and rain are expected tomorrow with chances of rain every day until New Year's day. It's crazy. :boat:

Part of that storm you all are getting, may be what blew thru here Dec 23. Temps were 65F, then the rain and oh my god, the wind moved in when the sun went down. It blew over a semi on I69 South of Ft Wayne. And there was a low rolling fog along with the wind and rain. Despite an almost full moon, the sky was black as could be. :ninja: :scooter: Nasty driving conditions.

Hope you all stay safe down in NC. :boat: I'm just happy it wasn't snow!

It has been positively mild on the NW coast of England. At the beginning of the month the blanket of cloud continued to keep the Sun from being seen and most days had rain of some sort - i was lucky that over my lunch hour was generally rain-free.

Then followed a storm, followed by another which tended to last about a week a piece bringing high winds of about 30MPH.

Then we had a very mild week along with the rest of Europe which was apparently sending Saharan sand and keeping the heat our way at around 10-13C.

And now it's Caesarmas Day and it's raining which isn't good news for our area of the country as noted in the article below - Cumbria in particular with it's recently built multi-million-pound flood defences being breached earlier in the month with many businesses and homes suffering flood damage.

Well, it's been raining for most of the morning and the Sun - or even a break in the clouds - doesn't look likely. It's still mild, fluctuating between 8-13C. Previous years we've been either blanketed with snow or at least had frost on the grass and icey air; i have yet to see a proper frosty morning this winter.

The land is saturated in our parts but we're close to the Sea, so hopefully it'll find it's way there.
December on track to be the mildest on record
24 12 2015

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/12/24/december-on-track-to-be-the-mildest-on-record/
Mowing the lawn has been the reality for some so far this December, with unseasonably high temperatures. It looks as though the UK is on track to break the record for the warmest December since records began in 1910 and some areas have also seen their wettest.
Christmas Day flood warnings prompt meeting of emergency Cobra committee

North of England expected to bear the brunt again as Storm Eva rolls in, with another deluge expected in Cumbria
The river Ouse in York continues to rise, flooding riverside properties in the city centre.

Friday 25 December 2015 09.41 GMT
Last modified on Friday 25 December 2015 10.44 GMT
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/25/christmas-day-flood-warnings-prompt-meeting-of-emergency-cobra-committee?CMP=share_btn_fb

The government’s emergency Cobra committee is to meet as thousands pray for a dry Christmas Day with another storm rolling across the UK prompting more flood warnings.

Heavy rain is forecast to fall on Friday evening, feeding already swollen rivers in Cumbria, where flooding has hit some areas three times previously this month.

About 30 flood warnings have been issued across a swath of the country, stretching from Wales to Scotland.

But the north of England is expected to bear the brunt again as Storm Eva rolls in.
Another deluge of up to 6in (15cm) of rain is expected in Cumbria, which has already suffered the wettest December since records began in 1910.

Croatia, Istria
Sunny Christmas day, the birds are singing, the air temperature and the sea is the same, daisies blooming?!

Usually by this time Belarus is already covered with snow, but this year we even have green grass still growing (I attached a picture). Obviously, people say it's Global Warming, etc., but then couple of years ago we also had snowless end of December, and it snowed only on New Year's eve. Something similar will probably happen this year too, since next week we are supposed to get freezing temperatures. But the weather is indeed very warm for the season. On the other hand, some parts of Russia experienced abnormally cold temperatures, so no dice for the GW theory.

Attachments

• december.jpg
    december.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 65
Keit said:
Usually by this time Belarus is already covered with snow, but this year we even have green grass still growing (I attached a picture). Obviously, people say it's Global Warming, etc., but then couple of years ago we also had snowless end of December, and it snowed only on New Year's eve. Something similar will probably happen this year too, since next week we are supposed to get freezing temperatures. But the weather is indeed very warm for the season. On the other hand, some parts of Russia experienced abnormally cold temperatures, so no dice for the GW theory.

It's warm here too: +1 C in South-Western Siberia right now. No green grass, of course, but temperatures above zero are not typical for this place and season either. We've had no real frosts this winter so far, just lots of snow which is melting right now instead.

:boat:

Back
Top Bottom