What's the weather where you are?

Re: Major Storm in France (Mediterranean) now

Keit said:
Chu said:
Just thought it was a bit "funny", since not many other French Departments have names with meanings like these.

Wish you all to be safe and sound! :flowers: :hug2:

That does sound fairly ominous - stay safe everyone!

zin said:
Right here with you Thinkingfingers, from New Westminster.

80KM wind gusts...

Candles and Batteries!

I'm nearby at burnaby. I don't think we'll experience the 80km wind but it's hard to say when three storms seem to be involved.
https://www.sott.net/article/330949-Powerful-storms-set-to-batter-northwestern-US

Hesper said:
Keit said:
Chu said:
Just thought it was a bit "funny", since not many other French Departments have names with meanings like these.

Indeed! Be safe over there :hug:

Menrva said:
Hesper said:
Keit said:
Chu said:

Indeed! Be safe over there :hug:

Ditto! Hope there's no big effect up near the chateau (even if it's a significant distance away). Be safe and hang in there. :hug:

I hope the storm won't do any damage. Stay safe! :hug:

Chu said:
In Latin, it means: intend, be prepared; dare/have courage (to go/do), act boldly, venture, risk;

Interesting, and a good reminder. Please stay safe everyone!

luc said:
Chu said:
In Latin, it means: intend, be prepared; dare/have courage (to go/do), act boldly, venture, risk;

Interesting, and a good reminder. Please stay safe everyone!

Take care all of you and keep us updated.

I´m relieved to know you are 200 km away from floods, as Pierre mentions.

I´ve just listen to the wheather news, and they are warning that tonight new severe perturbation will be reactivated, albeit in the Lanquedoc and Hérault departments, while everything will calm down again from Saturday onwards.

Yeah, this time it seems it was just a foretaste of what lies ahead. I get sick when watching some videos where people are stopping their cars along the coast to get a high from the waves brushing past them :wrongbar:

hesperides said:
I´m relieved to know you are 200 km away from floods, as Pierre mentions.

I´ve just listen to the wheather news, and they are warning that tonight new severe perturbation will be reactivated, albeit in the Lanquedoc and Hérault departments, while everything will calm down again from Saturday onwards.

Yeah, this time it seems it was just a foretaste of what lies ahead. I get sick when watching some videos where people are stopping their cars along the coast to get a high from the waves brushing past them :wrongbar:

The storm that was supposed to be stationary has moved towards the East (French Riviera and Corsica) during the night. As a result of this wider geographic scope, the local rainfall for the event are less than what the forecasts announced (about 35 cm vs 45+ cm). This is a good news because the local river have already reached critical levels.

Just to note the geomagnetic situation, since it is currently at storm levels and has been since early yesterday, in case this could have any baring on the storm pattern, intensity, and so on:

14732166_10157575328815425_2688566290832038208_n.jpg

Added:

www.spaceweather.com said:
GEOMAGNETIC STORM UNDERWAY: Auroras are dancing around the Arctic Circle on Oct. 14th as Earth slowly exits the magnetized wake of a CME that struck two days ago. Currently, geomagnetic storms are flickering between categories G1 and G2. Mia Stålnacke sends this picture from Kiruna, Sweden:

WHAT'S NEXT? On Oct. 15th, another disturbance is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. This time it's coming from a coronal hole--a gap in the sun's atmosphere from which solar wind flows:

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory took this picture on Oct. 13th. It shows the dark coronal hole pointing almost directly at Earth. At the leading edge of the emerging solar wind stream is a co-rotating interaction region (CIR)--that is, a transition zone between slow- and fast-moving solar wind. Shock waves and density gradients in CIRs often go a good job sparking auroras, so when it arrives on Oct. 15th polar auroras are likely

itellsya said:
Just to note the geomagnetic situation, since it is currently at storm levels and has been since early yesterday, in case this could have any baring on the storm pattern, intensity, and so on:

There sure has been a lot of lightning activity. The storm has been generation about 10000 lightning strikes per hour since yesterday.

Here is the radar lightning map on Friday (11.41 a.m, local time):

5800a8ffc6e1f_2016-10-1411_43_41-Infoclimat-lamtoentempsrel_observationsmtoendirectprvisions.png.9cfbfaf17e7fe7e487bfe885782f7e1f.png

Some more information's about lighting activity of this storm

An incredible amount of lightning strikes along the cold front pushed across northern Mediterranean during the past 24 hours. Almost 150.000 recorded with blitzortung network!

_https://www.facebook.com/severeweatherEU/photos/a.1423656947857402.1073741825.1377757209114043/1884852061737886/?type=3&theater

Attachments

• 14725569_1884852061737886_83272076567384187_n.png
    14725569_1884852061737886_83272076567384187_n.png
    590.9 KB · Views: 158

Chu said:
You could think that's by the Atlantic coast, but it's in the (usually) nice and quiet Mediterranean sea!

Just as small linguistic observation:

The areas (Department) that are being affected are called "Hérault" and "Aude"

HÉRAULT:
carte-departement-Herault.jpg

Pronounced just the same as "héraut", which is an old word for herald/harbinger/messenger.

AUDE: (as in "aude sapere" in Latin)

carte-departement-Aude.jpg

How are you guys doing?

For some reason what you wrote reminded me of Putin recently canceling a visit to Paris because it wasn't the "most convenient time". Perhaps I'm totally off, but I just found it coincidental. Specially thinking about events that have ocurred in the Vincinity of strange freak storms, The Russian flight over Egypt and 9/11 particularly.

I hope this storm isn't so overwhelming for you guys.

Stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom