What's the weather where you are?

This ha s caught my attention today: Lightning Strikes 14 People In California. A 20-year-old man died.
_http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/27/california-lightning_n_5625404.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Don't know if it's an ordinary occurence in that part of the world.

mkrnhr said:
This ha s caught my attention today: Lightning Strikes 14 People In California. A 20-year-old man died.
_http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/27/california-lightning_n_5625404.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

I just posted this article in the Suggestions for SOTT (did a search first, but this thread didn't pop up :huh:)
I don't know if its typical for the beach in LA, but lightning seems to be getting more frequent and more deadly all over. I kinda freaked out when learning lightning can jump thru windows, electric outlets, plumbing and what not. Always thought the house was a "safe zone". Makes me wonder if it'd ricochet off mirror as well. :shock:

CNS said:
Very strange weather indeed. I see by the majority of recent posts that it seems most of the planet is cooler than usual...

In Norway there has been temperatures upwards of 30 degrees Celsius for the last week and new heat records. This summer has been the one of the hottest registered.

Lilou said:
I kinda freaked out when learning lightning can jump thru windows, electric outlets, plumbing and what not. Always thought the house was a "safe zone". Makes me wonder if it'd ricochet off mirror as well. :shock:

Lightning in some instances can behave like a living thing. Some sky serpents and dragons in mythology can refer to that.

Weather in Bavaria is (still) quite normal. Warm sunny weather alternated with rain the last few weeks and a few "normal" thunderstorms here. Extreme weather is elsewhere. Seems we rather get the warm weather side of this meandering jet stream.

_http://www.dwd.de/bvbw/appmanager/bvbw/dwdwwwDesktop?_nfpb=true&_windowLabel=dwdwww_main_book&T17860014671303375939491gsbDocumentPath=&switchLang=en&_pageLabel=dwdwww_klima_umwelt

Overview about the temperature distribution, precipitation and the sunshine duration in Germany June 2014

With the exception of a short, but intense heat wave around the Pentecost weekend, it was mostly moderately warm in Germany during June 2014. Therefore, altogether the month ended up slightly too warm. Simultaneously, June 2014 again was too dry and too sunny, despite the severe thunderstorms at the end of the hot weather episode and despite the rather heavy steady rainfall events at the end of the month. With the exception of the month of May, the first six months of 2014 all were to warm, too dry and too sunny as well.

The spatial average temperature of Germany was 16.1°C. Thus the month was 0.4°C warmer than the mean of the new reference period 1981-2010 and 0.7°C warmer than the mean of the international climatological reference period 1961-1990. June 2014 has therefore been the 39th warmest June since the beginning of the 20th century and the 44th warmest since 1881.

The spatial rainfall average amounted to 51.4 mm. This is 26.3 mm or 33.8 % less than in the period 1981-2010 and 33.2 mm or 39.2 % less than in the period 1961-1990. Thus, the month has been the 11th driest June in Germany since 1901 and the 14th driest since 1881.

Sunshine duration averaged to 232.2 hours. This is 30.5 h or 15.1 % more than in the new reference period 1981-2010 and 34.0 h or 17.2 % more than the mean of the period 1961-1990. Therefore, June 2014 has been the 15th richest June in sunshine since 1951.

mkrnhr said:

No, it's not normal. Earthquakes in California are normal, but not lighting strikes.

I was hoping for a cooler summer, but temperatures in Northern California are typical for this time of year.

Well, here it is the end of July in the south of France and it has rained off an on all day, is currently 15 C outside, and might get colder before morning.

Piers Corbyn got it right and the rest of the weather duds got it wrong.

Laura said:
Well, here it is the end of July in the south of France and it has rained off an on all day, is currently 15 C outside, and might get colder before morning.

Piers Corbyn got it right and the rest of the weather duds got it wrong.

Your weather looks like a Middle European cold rainy summer, Laura. The weather is sort of mixed within Europe lately. For example the Mediterranean got snow last winter we expected to get North of the Alps; but we had nearly none. This seems to continue. Normally when it rains here the weather stays cooler for a while before it gets gradually warmer. Not this year. It rains and when the rain stops it gets warm again.

Gandalf said:
Laura said:
Well, so much for nice weather. Windy, rainy, cool again.

Same thing here. It is like an autumn weather.
Same here in North of Italy, right now is raining and outside there are 21-22 C ,it rains almost for a week with interruptions and at the end of the weekend there are forcast for the South-Central of Italy with high temperatures(above 30 degrees C) and in the North with temperatures till 30 degrees C,i remember a couple of week ago the south-central of Ital had temperatures between 34-37 degrees and in the North of Italy it rained almost everyday.Last year it rained also a lot but at the end of July there was a hot and sunny wheather till September this year it's the end of July and practically the weather is more like an autumn weather than a summer weather.

In Montreal, we have been lucky so far this summer. Many powerful storms have pummeled the US just to the south of us, then west of us and north of us. Always seeming to go around or past Montreal without too much damage.

Having said that, these days when it rains it pours! Big time. And although the days are warm, some even hot, there always remains a coolness, coldness in the background. So the nights are like autumn, and the days like summer. Definitely colder all around, as a feeling at least!

Here in North Central Massachusetts, US where I live, the weather has been beautiful. We've had warm to hot days. Rain has been lacking, but when it does rain it RAINS hard, but for short periods. And, where I live, the storms - every one - seem to go around my small city. Although this past week the nights have been very cool - which is not the norm.

Yesterday there was a Tornado that touch down in Revere, Chelsea & Everett Massachusetts (about 60 miles from where I live). It was the first tornado in that area in 64 years. It was a Category 2 storm and it seemed to just appear out of nowhere, really fast, faster than the weather experts could see with all their technical equipment.

~ EB

This topic reminded me of a nasty storm about two weeks ago, the Wind was really howling. Trees were uprooted and I could have sworn the entire house swayed with the wind at one point. Other than that its been the typical Arizona Summer, hot days, hot nights, and a drought. The problem here is that it doesn't rain for awhile, and then we get a mini-deluge for 20 minutes so all of that rain water is wasted.

It was down to 13C last night here in the south of France. Right now, at almost 11 a.m., it is only 19C and cloudy with occasional spritzes of rain. Not normal for the end of July.

Back
Top Bottom