Zettelkasten mind mapping & index card 'journaling'

3DStudent

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I suppose this is the best place for this, as it is essentially a way to map out one's knowledge. And I saw some other recent threads on organizing knowledge. I discovered this over the Holidays. I was interested in consolidating a bunch of random notes and was wondering if there's a better method. I suppose a commonplace book and/or using removable pages like with disc binding or the Kokuyo Campus Smart Ring Binder system are alternatives with less of a mapping feature.

Basically this is an index card system to organize one's knowledge and make connections. It can be done digitally with apps like Obsidian, but otherwise is done with a box and index cards, hence the name "slip box." It is also very personal because it's a map of your mind, so others won't get as much out of it if they were to use yours.

Here's an intro:

# 1 - The very first step in creating an analog, old-school Zettelkasten

This was a creative way to use with color coding and with images:

A REVOLUTIONARY WAY TO TAKE NOTES | Visual Notes + Zettelkasten System

So it made it seem more like information cards. I was thinking it could be used for writers for world or character building, or even videogame development. Note sure how he did it, but imagine Tolkien creating the races, lands and characters of the LOTR saga. So I think you could do a sort of sketch notes style, or even illustrate with small comic book panels with this system.

Then I found this, which uses a stack of index cards as an every day carry and acts as a journal, to-do list, vision board, and list of quotes and goals:

Better than a vision board!

Here is an update she posts 6 months later:

These index cards changed my life.

Anyways, hope this helps. By the way, I'm not sponsored by any index card manufacturers. :-P

This is very cool, I have found that taking notes is such a particular practice for people, and sometimes a good reflection of their inner world, but also their way to deal with life in general, their emotional state at the time of the note taking and so many other things, I also remember the case of someone who would take notes.. but need to doodle something completely unrelated in order to remember the information, like anchor it on something else altogether.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you 3D for sharing the video and system. I find it very useful to organize the thoughts from books or articles I read. While looking for a modern app's for Zettelkasten, I found this video about a app call obsidian free for personal usage.

Learning from this video is this: It look
Reference Notes: We read lot of books, highlight it, They are called 'reference Notes'. Those are author's thoughts. Most of us stop there and those sit in the media of our reading.
Literature Notes: These are our thoughts of what we read in our worlds.
Permanent Notes: These are polished notes for people who doesn't have knowledge of the subject.

It looks All can be linked and tracked in this app. Also highlights can be imported into the app and linked. I haven't yet explored it. It looks there are many open source other apps too for similar purpose.

Back
Top Bottom