Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Divide By Zero said:
I'm not sure on egg sensitivities since I don't seem to have any but Puck told me that egg whites could be the issue due to the protein matching up with foreign protein that some of us got in vaccines.
(Interesting, perhaps the different vaccinations as a baby in eastern europe explains the difference?)

As eggs are cheap, I tend to not eat the whites and this could help you stay in your budget. Sometimes some things get really expensive fast, like organic or free range in the US! Those cases lead to compromise as long as you aren't having issues.

It may be a while for her on iodine before her metabolism kicks in again. From what we've read, some people have so much thyroid issues that doctors think it's dead only to find out that iodine supplementation wakes up the sleeping (tiny) giant!

Laura said:
Bluelamp, you very much need to read Gary Taubes book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and the book "Big Fat Lies" by somebody or other.

Hello H2O said:
Just a quick note. We make our own Mayo. Along with all salad dressings and such. I noticed the ubiquitous Disodium EDTA in most prepared sauces and things, and decided to go the route of making our own. Is quite easy and fun too...

Oh yeah the mayo would be egg yokes only too. My wife mentioned to me that I had previously talked about making our mayo but kind of like the vinegar/HCL for heartburn, never put that into practice.

I mentioned to my wife today that we are supposed to check what things are OK and when she asked how that is done exactly I had to say I'm not really an expert on that, there's a book for that for an elimination diet. She said she thought I had some of their books and I had to say it's not their book but one they've mentioned. I'm going to have to get some books.

This is obviously an issue we are willing to spend some money on like the health club at $50 a month. My son started college in August so we are a bit in sticker shock mode overall with a bit of a money borrowing problem via a 2012 bankruptcy but between being able to borrow again next year, my parents being fairly well off, and the house being paid off in 7 years, we have a plan of sorts (which could change due to global situations of course).

The cardiologist appointment went well. Nothing bad in the EKG and a heart rate in the 40s didn't bother him if it wasn't anything more than occasional light-headedness. Kind of like what Gaby said. They will do an ultrasound in 8 days to be extra sure.

J'ai l'intention de rajouter à mes compléments alimentaires la vitamine A ainsi que la D? pourriez vous me dire où les incorporer au mieux dans la journée :

Directement au lever le matin : ½ cuillère à café de sel marin Celtic dans un grand verre d'eau
Petit déjeuner : 2 cuillerées à café de Glycine qui adoucit mon thé
Directement avec le petit-déjeuner (bol de thé) : 1 comprimé super vitamine B complexe, 1 comprimé sélénium, Lugol 5 gouttes 12% dans un verre d'eau
1heure après 3 grammes L-Arginine
Directement après le déjeuner midi : Chardon-Marie 1 comprimé ou 1 comprimé de NAC
Dans l'après-midi : 1 cuillerée à café Vitamine C dans un verre d’eau
Avant de dormir : magnésium 1 comprimé

En sachant que je ne prends plus : ½ cuillère à café de sel marin Celtic dans un grand verre d'eau et Lugol 5 gouttes 12% dans un verre d'eau suite à me prise de sang dont j'ai parlé dans cette rubrique en aout dernier et que je dois refaire mi-décembre.

Par ailleurs je signale que depuis le décès de ma Maman le 7/03/2015 et suite au régime cétogène j'ai perdu 18 kg en 18 mois...

I intend to add to my dietary supplements of vitamin A and D? could you tell me where incorporate the best in the day:

Directly up in the morning: ½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt in a glass of water
Breakfast: 2 teaspoons of Glycine that softens my tea
Directly with breakfast (tea bowl): 1 super tablet vitamin B complex, selenium 1 tablet, Lugol 5 drops 12% in a glass of water
1 hour after 3 grams L-Arginine
Directly after lunch Afternoon: Thistle 1 tablet or 1 tablet of NAC
In the afternoon: 1 teaspoon Vitamin C in a glass of water
Before sleep: 1 tablet Magnesium

Knowing that I am no longer: ½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt in a glass of water and 5 drops Lugol 12% in a glass of water after taking my blood I mentioned in this section in last august and I have to redo mid-December.

Moreover I note that since the death of my Mom the 07/03/2015 and following the ketogenic diet I lost 18 kg in 18 months. . .

PERLOU said:
J'ai l'intention de rajouter à mes compléments alimentaires la vitamine A ainsi que la D? pourriez vous me dire où les incorporer au mieux dans la journée :

Directement au lever le matin : ½ cuillère à café de sel marin Celtic dans un grand verre d'eau
Petit déjeuner : 2 cuillerées à café de Glycine qui adoucit mon thé
Directement avec le petit-déjeuner (bol de thé) : 1 comprimé super vitamine B complexe, 1 comprimé sélénium, Lugol 5 gouttes 12% dans un verre d'eau
1heure après 3 grammes L-Arginine
Directement après le déjeuner midi : Chardon-Marie 1 comprimé ou 1 comprimé de NAC
Dans l'après-midi : 1 cuillerée à café Vitamine C dans un verre d’eau
Avant de dormir : magnésium 1 comprimé

En sachant que je ne prends plus : ½ cuillère à café de sel marin Celtic dans un grand verre d'eau et Lugol 5 gouttes 12% dans un verre d'eau suite à me prise de sang dont j'ai parlé dans cette rubrique en aout dernier et que je dois refaire mi-décembre.

Par ailleurs je signale que depuis le décès de ma Maman le 7/03/2015 et suite au régime cétogène j'ai perdu 18 kg en 18 mois...

I intend to add to my dietary supplements of vitamin A and D? could you tell me where incorporate the best in the day:

Directly up in the morning: ½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt in a glass of water
Breakfast: 2 teaspoons of Glycine that softens my tea
Directly with breakfast (tea bowl): 1 super tablet vitamin B complex, selenium 1 tablet, Lugol 5 drops 12% in a glass of water
1 hour after 3 grams L-Arginine
Directly after lunch Afternoon: Thistle 1 tablet or 1 tablet of NAC
In the afternoon: 1 teaspoon Vitamin C in a glass of water
Before sleep: 1 tablet Magnesium

Knowing that I am no longer: ½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt in a glass of water and 5 drops Lugol 12% in a glass of water after taking my blood I mentioned in this section in last august and I have to redo mid-December.

Moreover I note that since the death of my Mom the 07/03/2015 and following the ketogenic diet I lost 18 kg in 18 months. . .

Vitamins A and D are fat soluble so you can take them directly after breakfast.

Merci Altair pour votre réponse rapide...

Altair thank you for your quick response. . .

Found a little nugget of information that may help explain some problems people are having?

_https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10646653
Homocysteine, hypothyroidism, and effect of thyroid hormone replacement.

Abstract

Elevation of total plasma concentration of homocysteine (t-Hcy) is an important and independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Hypothyroidism is possibly also associated with an increased risk for coronary artery disease, which may be related to atherogenic changes in lipid profile. Because hypothyroidism decreases hepatic levels of enzymes involved in the remethylation pathway of homocysteine, we prospectively evaluated fasting and postload t-Hcy in patients before and after recovery of euthyroidism
. Fasting and postload t-Hcy levels were higher in 40 patients with peripheral hypothyroidism (14 with autoimmune thyroiditis and 26 treated for thyroid cancer) in comparison with those of 26 controls (13.0 +/- 7.5 vs. 8.5 +/- 2.6 micromol/L, p < .01, respectively, and 49.9 +/- 37.3 vs. 29.6 +/- 8.4 micromol/L p < .001, respectively). On univariate analysis, fasting Hcy was positively related to thyrotropin (TSH) and inversely related to folates. Multivariate analysis confirmed TSH as the strongest predictor of t-Hcy independent of age, folate, vitamin B12, and creatinine. Thyroid hormone replacement significantly decreased fasting but not postload t-Hcy. We conclude that t-Hcy is elevated in hypothyroidism. The association of hyperhomocysteinemia and lipid abnormalities occurring in hypothyroidism may represent a dynamic atherogenic state. Thyroid hormone failed to completely normalize t-Hcy. Potential benefit of treatment with folic acid in combination with thyroid hormone replacement has to be tested given that hypothyroid patients were found to have lower levels of folate.

_http://thyroidimmunity.com/homocysteine/
High Homocysteine Could Be Causing Your Thyroid Blues While Flying Completely Under the Radar!

Homocysteine could be the reason your riddled with unexplained symptoms and your blood tests are normal.

Homocysteine is an amino acid that is formed during a chemical process called methylation. Methylation is the process of adding a methyl group to a substance that the body needs to break down, like arsenic or histamine for example.

The process of methylation starts with the amino acid methionine. When methionine loses a methyl group it becomes homocysteine. The next step is to reattach a methyl group to homocysteine recycling it back into methionine, so the methylation can start all over again.

The B vitamins B12 and folate are responsible for recycling homocysteine back into methionine. If we do not have enough of these important vitamins, homocysteine cannot be recycled. Homocysteine levels rise, and the body cannot perform more methylation reactions. {B12 levels drop with age, but can be replaced}

Methylation is involved in detoxification, the immune system, DNA repair, mood stability, energy production, and controlling inflammation. High levels of homocysteine and impaired methylation are associated with a plethora of health issues.

Homocysteine and the thyroid

High homocysteine levels lead to low levels of the amino acid tyrosine that makes up thyroid hormones. Therefore, the body cannot make as much T4 & T3. So if homocysteine lowers the amount of thyroid hormone the body can make, then won’t we see low T4 and T3 levels on blood work?

No. In addition to causing low levels of T4 & T3, homocysteine can block thyroid hormone from getting into the cell. If thyroid hormones cannot move into the cell, they are stuck in the blood stream. Therefore, high homocysteine can cause low thyroid symptoms all the while your thyroid blood tests stay “normal.”

Who’s at risk for high homocysteine?

Homocysteine levels rise if there is a lack of certain vitamins, particularly B12 and folate. People who take birth control pills and antacids often have low levels of these vitamins and have high homocysteine as a result.

People with hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) cannot break down food properly in order to absorb nutrients. These people often are deficient in a multitude of nutrients including the vitamins needed to lower homocysteine levels. People at risk of having low stomach acid include those with hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia, intestinal parasites, and gluten sensitivity.

What can you do about it?

First, get tested. I know most of us who are reading this do not have the highest regards for using blood work to find explanations for their symptoms. However, testing for homocysteine could be a game changer.

Many labs suggests a normal range for homocysteine = 5-15 μmol/L. However, studies suggests that levels equal to or greater than 7 μmol/L can be problematic.

In addition to testing for homocysteine, get tested to see if you have a variant (aka mutated, variant just sounds nicer) copy of the MTHFR gene. Huh?

Allow me to explain…

MTHFR

In order for homocysteine to be recycled back into methionine, we must have enough folate and B12, but these vitamins need to be in their “active” forms in order to be effective.

MTHFR is an enzyme required to convert folate into its active form, 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. It is this special active form of folate, with the help of active B12, that recycles homocysteine back into the good amino acid methionine.

People with variant copies (or mutations) of the MTHFR gene simply do not activate folate as well as someone with a normal MTHFR gene. Therefore, even if we are getting adequate amounts of folate from food or supplements, we may not be producing enough of the active form of folate needed to lower homocysteine levels.

Conditions linked to MTHFR gene mutations and elevated homocysteine

People with defects in the MTHFR gene may suffer from:

Alzheimer’s disease
Dementia
Autism
Multiple sclerosis
Pulmonary embolisms
Heart attack/stroke
Atherosclerosis
Depression
Anxiety
Insomnia
ADD/ADHD
Bipolar Disorder
Addictive behaviors (alcoholism)
Schizophrenia
Infertility/recurrent miscarriages
Allergies/chronic viral infections
Increased sensitivity to chemicals, drugs, supplements
Congenital heart defects
Spina bifida
Down’s syndrome
Chronic pain syndrome
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Fibromyalgia
Thyroid dysfunction
Cancer

While I attempted to oversimplify this explanation of the MTHFR gene, please refer to one of the leading experts in this field, Dr. Ben Lynch. Visit his website at www.mthfr.net for much more information.

Folic acid is NOT the same as folate!!

Before we get to the supplement recommendations, it is imperative that you know the difference between folic acid and folate. Folic acid is a synthetic (meaning it does not exist in nature) form of folate. Many people (especially those with MTHFR gene mutations) cannot turn folic acid into the useful active form of folate that the body needs. Research is showing this synthetic folic acid can even be harmful because the body cannot break it down very easily.

Therefore, folic acid can build up in the system and cause problems. Build-up of synthetic folic acid affects the immune system and as a result increases your risk of cancer.

The Supplemental Solution

It is very important to know if you have a mutation in the MTHFR gene because you will simply need to supplement with the active form of folate, 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. It is also recommended that you supplement with the active forms of vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin & adenosylcobalamin).

Both vitamin B12 and folate are needed to lower homocysteine levels. It is not recommended to supplement with either folate or B12 alone. Studies show that taking excess of one of these vitamins may mask a deficiency of the other. It is best to take these vitamins in the form of a B complex.

Seeking Health® is a brand of physician formulated vitamins that were designed specifically to contain these active vitamins. If you are concerned you may not be absorbing nutrients very well from your intestinal tract, you may want to try taking these vitamins in the form of a lozenge that dissolves in your mouth.

Start with taking:

400 mcg folate (as 5-methyltetrahydrofolate)
500 mcg vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin)

After a week or 2, you can then increase to 800 mcg folate and 1000 mcg vitamin B12. Starting with the full dose can make you feel jittery or anxious if you have been deficient in these vitamins for some time.

If high homocysteine due to a lack of active B vitamins has been contributing to your thyroid symptoms, you will likely notice a difference in the way you feel shortly after starting a supplement.

One step closer to Thyroid Immunity

Many things can hinder thyroid function without ever showing up on your blood work. This does not mean you are crazy, or that it is all in your head, or that you need an antidepressant. I can assure you that none of us are suffering from a Prozac deficiency.

Addressing elevated homocysteine levels by supplementing with the active B vitamins gets us one step closer to achieving true Thyroid Immunity.

For reference:
_https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21148317
Homocysteine suppresses the expression of the collagen cross-linker lysyl oxidase involving IL-6, Fli1, and epigenetic DNA methylation.

Elevated homocysteine (Hcys) serum levels represent a risk factor for several chronic pathologies, including cardiovascular disease, atherosclerosis, and chronic renal failure, and affect bone development, quality, and homeostasis. Hcys influences the formation of a stable bone matrix directly through the inhibition of the collagen cross-linking enzyme lysyl oxidase (Lox) and, as we have shown recently, by repressing its mRNA expression.

So high homocysteine can cause collagen problems in general (stiffening, weakening, poor repair etc).

Anger, frustration and chronic stress also raise homocysteine levels.

Bluelamp said:
My son started college in August so we are a bit in sticker shock mode overall with a bit of a money borrowing problem via a 2012 bankruptcy but between being able to borrow again next year, my parents being fairly well off, and the house being paid off in 7 years, we have a plan of sorts (which could change due to global situations of course).

If you are in the United States, I really encourage you to not take out private student loans or parental student loans; it would be much better if your son took out federal student loans.

This is my view on student loans.

hlat said:
Another way the system is set up to attack us in a big way is student loans. We should never take out private student loans or parental federal student loans. Student loans practically cannot be eliminated with bankruptcy. Federal student loans owed by student borrowers are relatively survivable because their monthly payments can be our based on our income. As a result, the monthly payment can be as low as $0, and these loans are forgiven after 25 years of being in income based repayment plans. Private student loans are very dangerous because they cannot be forced into an income based repayment plan or forced to be forgiven. The only protection against private student loans is the statute of limitations. After the number of years in the statute of limitations passes without us making a payment or promising to pay, the private student loan is not enforceable in court. But we would still be vulnerable if the private student loan owner sued us in court before the statute of limitations expired, so again we should never use private student loans. Parental federal student loans are even more dangerous because they have no statute of limitations, have no income based repayment plan, and practically have no forgiveness.

RedFox said:
Found a little nugget of information that may help explain some problems people are having?

<snip>

Thanks for that additional info, RedFox. After my mom's stroke back in May, at one of the follow-up blood tests, I asked to test her homocysteine levels as I suspected it's part of her problem. And sure enough the test showed a very elevated level. I had also ordered the methylated version of B vitamins a while back, after reading on the forum and a SOTT Radio Show about those problems. Will make sure to try them more again, as she's been taking the bare minimum supplements lately in the form of pills - she doesn't like swallowing to many pills. I think the methylated B's should be bumped up in priority for a couple of weeks to see if they help her overall.

In the last 2 weeks, i increased my iodine dosage to 5 drops of 5% lugols every second day.
Since I have done that I noticed a burst of energy. I feel so energized and strong. I noticed that last week in the gym. I could not believe that I could lift those weights, but I did it and after training, i felt that I could do another one.It was much more than i usually can lift.
Also, I need fewer hours for sleep. Besides that no other noticeable detox symptoms.

SeekinTruth said:
RedFox said:

<snip>

Thanks for that additional info, RedFox. After my mom's stroke back in May, at one of the follow-up blood tests, I asked to test her homocysteine levels as I suspected it's part of her problem. And sure enough the test showed a very elevated level. I had also ordered the methylated version of B vitamins a while back, after reading on the forum and a SOTT Radio Show about those problems. Will make sure to try them more again, as she's been taking the bare minimum supplements lately in the form of pills - she doesn't like swallowing to many pills. I think the methylated B's should be bumped up in priority for a couple of weeks to see if they help her overall.

The methyl-folate pills could be crushed and added to food (it doesn't taste of much of anything). B12 could be done in the form of injections if you find a decent doctor (and get her levels tested), or the sublingual pills can be broken into pieces and placed on the upper gum/under the upper lip and left for 1-2 hours (this is what I do).

Food that help are things that contain choline and betaine. Beetroot is a particularly good source of betaine, and it's leaves also contain a good amount of folate.
Fermented foods also seem to contain more of the active methyl-folate (_http://www.formatex.org/microbio/pdf/Pages329-339.pdf).
Fermented beetroot then would most likely be ideal!

Choline can be found in the largest amounts in egg yokes (probably not a good idea, as most people react to eggs), shrimps, scallops, cod and most white fish. The best source above all else in animal brains, but that's not something most people want to eat.
I make a hot chocolate using sunflower lecithin (which is high in choline), cocoa powder, glycine, goats butter and a tea spoon of coconut oil.

B12 in food is highest in liver, so making a duck liver pate (duck/chicken liver has the lowest iron content) would also help. The intestines don't absorb B12 well though.

Konstantin said:
In the last 2 weeks, i increased my iodine dosage to 5 drops of 5% lugols every second day.
Since I have done that I noticed a burst of energy. I feel so energized and strong. I noticed that last week in the gym. I could not believe that I could lift those weights, but I did it and after training, i felt that I could do another one.It was much more than i usually can lift.
Also, I need fewer hours for sleep. Besides that no other noticeable detox symptoms.

That is great progress! It was not too long ago when you were still doing the heel dosing protocol.

Glad to hear you're doing good :)

Gaby said:
Konstantin said:

That is great progress! It was not too long ago when you were still doing the heel dosing protocol.

Glad to hear you're doing good :)

Yes, i was doing a heel dosing after a strong iodine reaction that i had back in January-February this year. After that i was gently increasing the dosage.
Now with 5 drops of 5% Lugols i feel great.

Another thing that i noticed and i forgot to write in previous post, is that i can tolerate cold much better now. Temperatures are around zero in the morning here but I feel comfortable in the morning when going to work. Maybe iodine increased the thyroid function and them my metabolism increased and i became more tolerable to cold.

Thanks for the tips, RedFox. The methyl B's I have are combos (2 different brands with different dosages, types, etc. - e.g. folinic acid methyl group vs. methyl-folate) and come in capsules, so we can try opening the capsules and adding it to food to see how that works for her.

Glad to hear the new results and progress, Konstantin.

SeekinTruth said:
Thanks for the tips, RedFox. The methyl B's I have are combos (2 different brands with different dosages, types, etc. - e.g. folinic acid methyl group vs. methyl-folate) and come in capsules, so we can try opening the capsules and adding it to food to see how that works for her.

If she improves, then feels worse it may be that she doesn't have enough B12 to recycle the folate fast enough among other things (detox, immune system waking up etc). See _http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/what-is-methyl-trapping.22007/
This thread may also have some useful info in if this looks like the right route to take for her.

Thanks, I'll look into that pheonixrising/methyl trapping link. And yeah, I got some clues from that forum thread you linked quite a while back, but it's also worth reviewing. One thing about elevated homocystiene is that I've read years ago that it's part of the picture in cardiovascular disease as it's like sandpaper circulating in the blood vessels causing damage. Then these injuries are repaired in make-shift ways, etc. starting the CV disease process. Similar to the Lp(a) and other issues that can give an understanding of how to prevent and reverse CVD.

I'll list the two methyl B supplements I got later with types and amounts. I got those from what was talked about on the SOTT Radio Show a while back about it - from what Shijing and the guest said, I found these supplements from iherb as something to try. The thing is that my mom was doing so well with 4 drops of 6% Lugol's for many months (better than she'd been in a long time), but she had stopped taking some of the supplements she had taken regularly in the past (just on a whim) including fish oil which kept her blood thin and not sticky, etc. She's now taking the most important ones (but not always every day). Along with new ones including Arginine and "HeartTech" (Vit C, A, E, Lysine, Proline, Arginine etc.).

Back
Top Bottom