Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I have been having strong a metallic taste in my mouth even when I only take 25mg of lugols after a couple of days off, wonder if its Iodism of detox symptom or both? Been taking Lugols for abouy a year but for the first 8 months I took it very slow and easy and just increased my dosge in the last 3 months maybe I have reached Iodine saturation? I was hoping to take even more as I am sure I have infections but will fall back for while and retry in a week.....

AD said:
I have been having strong a metallic taste in my mouth even when I only take 25mg of lugols after a couple of days off, wonder if its Iodism of detox symptom or both? Been taking Lugols for abouy a year but for the first 8 months I took it very slow and easy and just increased my dosge in the last 3 months maybe I have reached Iodine saturation? I was hoping to take even more as I am sure I have infections but will fall back for while and retry in a week.....

This is a symptom I've had off and on since starting the iodine in conjunction with sore teeth (not the gums, but the actual teeth). I find that it usually subsides if I keep my dose relatively low (one or two drops of 5% Lugol's). I also notice it can creep up if I'm not drinking enough water. I'm still not sure what causes it, although I doubt it's iodism (I'm pretty sure iodism is just a mislabelling of detox symptoms caused by iodine supplementation). I did a heavy metals test awhile back and found I was high in lead and have been doing detox protocol since then. It could possibly be lead being detoxed from iodine when I up my dose. Have you ever been tested for heavy metals? If not, you might want to try ordering a DMSA provocation test.

The other possibility is that it's caused by bromine detox; although it's not often listed as a side effect of bromine toxicity, I have seen a mention here or there of metallic taste in the mouth as possibly being related to bromine. If this is the case, the salt water protocol would probably be helpful (I've had negligible results with this, but your mileage may vary ;) ).

Good luck with it, AD. Keep us posted on what you try and what works for you (or what doesn't). Although it isn't debilitating, it's a very annoying symptom!

AD said:

Hi AD, are you supplementing with selenium? . if you have not tried yet, you can also test only with potassium iodide rather that lugol's solution and see what happens.
Remember also that lugol's solution is an oxidant, this is why you have to take together with antioxidans, (avoid take it near your iodine doses). Antioxidants help to keep in good shape the liver, among other systems.

dugdeep said:
AD said:

This is a symptom I've had off and on since starting the iodine in conjunction with sore teeth (not the gums, but the actual teeth). I find that it usually subsides if I keep my dose relatively low (one or two drops of 5% Lugol's). I also notice it can creep up if I'm not drinking enough water. I'm still not sure what causes it, although I doubt it's iodism (I'm pretty sure iodism is just a mislabelling of detox symptoms caused by iodine supplementation). I did a heavy metals test awhile back and found I was high in lead and have been doing detox protocol since then. It could possibly be lead being detoxed from iodine when I up my dose. Have you ever been tested for heavy metals? If not, you might want to try ordering a DMSA provocation test.

The other possibility is that it's caused by bromine detox; although it's not often listed as a side effect of bromine toxicity, I have seen a mention here or there of metallic taste in the mouth as possibly being related to bromine. If this is the case, the salt water protocol would probably be helpful (I've had negligible results with this, but your mileage may vary ;) ).

Good luck with it, AD. Keep us posted on what you try and what works for you (or what doesn't). Although it isn't debilitating, it's a very annoying symptom!

I do agree with you, I doubt it is iodism but probably somesort of detox/herx reaction. I have not had any heavy metal testing done, usually get what my insurance covers. Ive read that chlorophpyll can help. I will add chlorella, just in case it is heavy metal releasing going on. I do take plenty of Vit C, Nac, Salt, Selenium, etc....

https://www.google.com/amp/naturalsociety.com/proper-heavy-metal-chelation-cilantro-chlorella/amp/

In last 10 days i have a very unpleasant taste in my mouth. I tried washing my mouth and teeth with every possible thing that came to my mind and nothing works.
I think its from iodine and its not a metallic taste like some other members have reported. I can't define the taste but it is very unpleasant. Nothing is changed in my diet either.
Maybe its some detox symptoms but i can't be sure.

Gaby said:
Chu said:
Small update: My swelling has subsided.

:thup: :flowers:

Andre' said:
Since it didn't cost me much i bought in anyway, but just to be sure i would like to ask you Gaby can i use this one?
Otherwise i will try to buy lugol's iodine from eBay, don't know if they can deliver it in Italy though, i have to check out.

So it is a similar situation like Keit, who has access to a glycerin lugol. Yours has alcohol. Actually, glycerin is better, but at least you got something now. Here is more info:

Nascent Iodine in Vegetable Glycerin vs. Nascent Iodine in Alcohol
_http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/nascent-iodine-in-vegetable-glycerin-vs-nascent-iodine-in-alcohol/

It is not the nascent info, but the OH Vs Glycerin.

I hear Italy is very strict, so is Spain. When you buy through ebay, you click the option of "reliable/premium seller". Usually they use transporting systems that might have less controls at customs. I got my progesterone cream, DMSO and lugol that way.

When I bought progesterone cream through iherb.com, it was returned at customs and they also charged me to get an evaluation by "Pharmaceutical Vigilance" at the Spanish border. With ebay, there was none of that drama and my packages arrived safely from the U.S. and UK.

You could try buying one thing (i.e. one little bottle of lugol) as a trial test.

Mikkael said:
Gaby said:
Chu said:
Small update: My swelling has subsided.

:thup: :flowers:

Andre' said:
Since it didn't cost me much i bought in anyway, but just to be sure i would like to ask you Gaby can i use this one?
Otherwise i will try to buy lugol's iodine from eBay, don't know if they can deliver it in Italy though, i have to check out.

So it is a similar situation like Keit, who has access to a glycerin lugol. Yours has alcohol. Actually, glycerin is better, but at least you got something now. Here is more info:

Nascent Iodine in Vegetable Glycerin vs. Nascent Iodine in Alcohol
_http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/nascent-iodine-in-vegetable-glycerin-vs-nascent-iodine-in-alcohol/

It is not the nascent info, but the OH Vs Glycerin.

I hear Italy is very strict, so is Spain. When you buy through ebay, you click the option of "reliable/premium seller". Usually they use transporting systems that might have less controls at customs. I got my progesterone cream, DMSO and lugol that way.

When I bought progesterone cream through iherb.com, it was returned at customs and they also charged me to get an evaluation by "Pharmaceutical Vigilance" at the Spanish border. With ebay, there was none of that drama and my packages arrived safely from the U.S. and UK.

You could try buying one thing (i.e. one little bottle of lugol) as a trial test.

Hi Mikael it looks like you forgot to post something since you just quoted Gabys post.

Anyway, seeing as this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

Gaby said:
MaZ said:
We two just agreed, that when we finish this antibiotic protocol, we will continue with Iodine protocol, both of us. It's our solution, to get rid of body's pollution. :cool2:

Sounds like a good plan. Just be careful when using high doses of lugol, don't push it. The antibiotic should do the job anyway. Make sure you both do probiotics afterwards. I would do a probiotic enema.

After the antibiotic course is finished, perhaps you both can request a control test to make sure the bacteria is gone.

Hi

update on current situation :)

after we finished the first round of antibiotic protocol, she went to her doctor, did a bacteria test and bacteria was still there. So we got the same protocol prescription again.
We finished the second round of antibiotic protocol and immediatly next day continued with lugol's solution that's got 5% iodine 10% iodine potassium . For her, after two weeks with 2 drops of lugol's in glass of water, now she started to drink 4 drops once a day after breakfast and without any other specific antioxidants added. With glass of salted water (celtic salt) protocol about a month before she started her first antibiotic protocol.
She did her bacteria test two days ago and now we're just hoping for the best and waiting for the results. Her gynecologist mentioned that it's hard to get rid off these kind (Ureaplasma urealyticum) but she recommended her some antibiotics (that cost 50 Euro each )but soon as I found out which one actually, it will be updated in a reply.

The protocol I have continued daily contains : 6:00 AM one cup of warm salted water with Celtic salt
8:00 AM after breakfast 3 drops of lugol's taken with 1 tablet of selenium 100 mcg,
1 capsule 300 mg ALA, B-50 complex (contains B-2 riboflavine -50mg- 3571%PU ; B-3
niacinamide-50mg-313%PU)
10:00 AM half tea spoon of (powder) vitamin-C 500mg 625%PU in glass of water
11:30 AM glass of Celtic salt-ed water and with 1 capsule Acidophilus ProBiotics-5 by "KAL"356mg%PU orally that contains 3 000 000 000 microorganisms: L.Acidophilus, Lactobacillus spp., L.Bugaricus, S.Thermophilus, B.Bifidum,)
01:00 PM after lunch 3 drops of lugols in glass of water with 1 of B-complex and 1 of ALA
03:00 PM half tea spoon vit-C in glass of water
10:00 PM glass of salted water with one or two capsules of magnesium glycinate 200 mg 53%PU

I started again this protocol after that last antibiotic treatment, I've felt that this antibiotic treatment feels like "chemo"therapy while on the contrary the iodine protocol, you know, well at least feels more ec(h)ologically for the body. :)

Just liked you to know that at least we're trying to figure that one out. :huh: :)

Hello everyone ;D
I haven’t posted in this thread before, although I diligently read it all in PDF on my phone (2000 pages and good couple of months!). I’ve been on the Iodine protocol for exactly a year now as I started in mid December 2015.

It feels like most of my journey is similar to other people's so I wouldn't like to bore you with yet another post with exactly the same info.
I've been on 5 drops of 12% Lugol for the past couple of months, all of the cofactors Brownstein talks about, NAC and Milk Thistle for liver support, half a spoon of Celtic salt twice a day and vit C in the afternoon.

There are a couple of things I picked up on that might add value to the discussion and I haven't seen them being mentioned here:

1. I was diagnosed with a mutation in the MTHFR gene in September but I suspected it for a longer while so I was on 5-MTHF Folate for a couple of months before the diagnosis. Active form of B12 is required too and sublingual methylcobalamin has worked wonders for me. I've noticed B12 as adenosylcobalamin was suggested on this forum too so I tried it and I had a rather bad response to it. It actually made me depressed. I didn't pick up on the source of the low mood straight away as I started on a combined pill of methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin so the dose was low. But when I increased the dosage of adenosylcobalamin it really got bad for me. It took a week for the symptoms to fully clear. I think my experience is more of an exception than the rule as adenosylcobalamin is actually often mentioned as a natural cure for for depression. But since it took me a couple of days to work out where the horrible feeling was coming from I thought I'd share this: it may save someone a couple of days of pretty bad emotional discomfort.

2. I had problems with split ends, weak hair and hair loss for years but around spring time I started rinsing my hair with diluted Lugol and it really helped! I haven't had my hair trimmed since June and it's not bad at all whilst before this I'd have to trim it monthly. My hair is thicker too since it stopped falling out like crazy.

3. This one's going to be a weird one but someone may actually find it useful so here it goes: I have a pair of shoes that within three months of purchase developed a really bad smell. I'd blame it on my feet if it wasn't for the fact that I actually have pairs I bought 5 years ago and they're completely fine to this day so I've no idea why these were so bad. Anyways, since iodine is so great with bacteria, viruses and fungus, I came up with an idea of rinsing them with Lugol, diluted with water of course. I let the lugol solution soak into the leather a bit and then I let them air dry. The first round did show quite a lot of improvement so I did three in total. The bad smell was literally gone completely and didn't start to return for like 6 months. I did another round recently with equally excellent result.

4. What makes me wonder though is the fact that in one of early posts in this thread topical application of Lugol was listed as a cure for skin cancer. The melanoma was supposed to fall off three times and after the third time the cancer was supposed to be gone. Well, my shoes were completely smell-free after the third round and it did make me wonder whether there is some significance to three rounds or applications. Just a thought.

I didn't describe my year on Lugol on purpose, because like I said my journey is quite similar to other people's on here. And compared to other's experiences it wasn't even particularly bad. My detox symptoms were quite minimal and easy to manage thanks to thorough research and reports that everyone provided.
But if you feel it would be much more useful if I provided more context to the above post by describing my 'adventure' with iodine in more detail I'm super happy to do that of course! I just wanted to avoid adding noise and duplicating information.

Ant22 said:
2. I had problems with split ends, weak hair and hair loss for years but around spring time I started rinsing my hair with diluted Lugol and it really helped! I haven't had my hair trimmed since June and it's not bad at all whilst before this I'd have to trim it monthly. My hair is thicker too since it stopped falling out like crazy.

I'm glad that Lugol helped you with your problems. :)
How much Lugol did you use for hair and how did you use it? After washing, before?

Ant22, could it be internal too, that taking iodine helped your hair become stronger?

Interesting story about the shoes. I have an extra pair of boots at work that I barely use. I always keep them dry but they also have a smell oddly like your case. It could be that some bugs or chemicals that don't come out with normal cleaning and/or drying need a strong electrically active element like iodine to be "pulled out".

Also, I just listened to the Health and Wellness show with Jack Kruse and I wonder if Iodine, like flouride/chloride/bromide having a very strong affinity for electrons (short one electron in outer valence) would be such thing that enhances the energy of the person. In that case, Flouride/Bromide being toxic and displaced by iodine/chlorine would help a lot.

See how it goes F, then Cl, then Br, then I. Bad, Good, Bad, Good...Hmm a pattern??
1200px-18_column_periodic_table%2C_with_Lu_and_Lr_in_group_3.png

Persej said:
Ant22 said:

I'm glad that Lugol helped you with your problems. :)
How much Lugol did you use for hair and how did you use it? After washing, before?

Hi Persej, I started with a teaspoon of Lugol but that turned out to be quite an expensive hair conditioner :shock: 10 drops in a glass of warm water (the same I shower in) is enough to do the trick. I wash my hair every 2-3 days and I do use iodine with every wash, after shampooing. I leave it in for like 3-5 minutes and sometimes I will use some conditioner on it too. I try to avoid chemicals as much as possible so I use pure glycerine in 1:10 ratio with water as a conditioner and it works just as well as commercial conditioners do.

My health problems started to gradually dissolve over the past 12 months on iodine and significant dietary changes and hair issues were just a tiny factor really. It was more like a litmus paper indicating there was a lot wrong going on inside. It would be useful to hear if someone with 'normal' split ends had similarly positive experience :)

Let me just add that my hair is natural colour and it hasn't been dyed in years. Also, it's not far off diluted iodine colour so I guess someone with dyed hair could end up with either their colour affected - or even rinsed out. Since iodine removes poisons and heavy metals from our bodies I wouldn't be surprised if it rinsed out the tint too. At the end of the day commercial hair dyes are not exactly healthy.

I use vitamin C rinse from time to time as well, it keeps the hair soft, obviously on these days I'll skip iodine.

I do wonder whether heavy metals simply built up in my hair and the iodine rinse removed them?

Divide By Zero said:
Ant22, could it be internal too, that taking iodine helped your hair become stronger?

Hi Divide by Zero,

Oh, I’m sure internal iodine played a major role too! I mentioned the iodine rinse because it seems to me that it really accelerated the process. When I started the rinse I had already taken iodine with cofactors for about 4 months with tons of internal and emotional positive symptoms but little noticeable impact on my hair. The rinse did the job pretty quickly. I used to have to trim my hair literally once a month and I noticed I didn’t have to do it for three months initially. It’s now been 6 months since I had to do it and the only reason why I did on Saturday was because it simply grew too long.

Interesting story about the shoes. I have an extra pair of boots at work that I barely use. I always keep them dry but they also have a smell oddly like your case. It could be that some bugs or chemicals that don't come out with normal cleaning and/or drying need a strong electrically active element like iodine to be "pulled out".

That's a very good point! Well, during the past year I developed this "I have some iodine, I wonder what else I can use it for" instead of "I have a problem, let's see if Iodine can help" attitude. And I have to say it's been largely successful :lol:

Also, I just listened to the Health and Wellness show with Jack Kruse and I wonder if Iodine, like flouride/chloride/bromide having a very strong affinity for electrons (short one electron in outer valence) would be such thing that enhances the energy of the person. In that case, Flouride/Bromide being toxic and displaced by iodine/chlorine would help a lot.

See how it goes F, then Cl, then Br, then I. Bad, Good, Bad, Good...Hmm a pattern??

Oh gosh, I'm going to listen to the show and look into this a little more before I can comment. Chemistry has never been my strong point but your observation is a really interesting one!

1200px-18_column_periodic_table%2C_with_Lu_and_Lr_in_group_3.png

[/quote]

Ant22 said:
Oh, I’m sure internal iodine played a major role too! I mentioned the iodine rinse because it seems to me that it really accelerated the process.

That is a great testimonial, thank you for sharing!

Recently, someone gave me the fungus that produces goat kefir as a gift. Since I don't want to eat dairy even though my IgG tests are negative for goat products, I decided to use the goat kefir in my hair. My dandruff problem stopped almost immediately! I might add some iodine to the kefir to see if I can regrow more hair ;)

Back
Top Bottom