Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Gaby said:
Ant22 said:
Oh, I’m sure internal iodine played a major role too! I mentioned the iodine rinse because it seems to me that it really accelerated the process.

That is a great testimonial, thank you for sharing!

Recently, someone gave me the fungus that produces goat kefir as a gift. Since I don't want to eat dairy even though my IgG tests are negative for goat products, I decided to use the goat kefir in my hair. My dandruff problem stopped almost immediately! I might add some iodine to the kefir to see if I can regrow more hair ;)

This does sound interesting. I might try adding some iodine myself but will it stain my scalp for a while if I do? My hair is pretty thin and you can easily see my scalp in certain areas. Maybe I should only try it on my days off huh?

Pete said:
This does sound interesting. I might try adding some iodine myself but will it stain my scalp for a while if I do? My hair is pretty thin and you can easily see my scalp in certain areas. Maybe I should only try it on my days off huh?

Those who have tried topical iodine will know better, but I think that if you mix it with coconut oil or something else, the chances of staining are decreased. You can do a trial test of topical iodine in your heel, see if it stains and for how long.

Pete said:
Gaby said:
Ant22 said:
Oh, I’m sure internal iodine played a major role too! I mentioned the iodine rinse because it seems to me that it really accelerated the process.

That is a great testimonial, thank you for sharing!

Recently, someone gave me the fungus that produces goat kefir as a gift. Since I don't want to eat dairy even though my IgG tests are negative for goat products, I decided to use the goat kefir in my hair. My dandruff problem stopped almost immediately! I might add some iodine to the kefir to see if I can regrow more hair ;)

My hair is quite long but I never noticed any staining on my scalp, I just double checked in the mirror and it looks normal. It could be because with long hair there's simply less iodine getting through to the scalp but I do make sure I it does get to the roots of the hair. I had hair loss too on top of poor hair condition so I felt it was important to make sure the roots get some iodine goodness too.

I normally do the rinse in the shower and I just pour it over my head so it ends up running down freely. There's never been any staining anywhere else, including the shower curtain. I live in a house share so if there was any staining I overlooked it would definitely be brought to my attention quickly :lol:

Now when I think about it, it is quite interesting as I also used undiluted 12% topical iodine on a mole / lesion on the side of my ribs. It looked a wee bit suspicious to me, having grown in size over the years. I put iodine on it a couple of times per day, to the point it burnt and hurt quite a lot. Eventually it dried out and 80% of it fell off. It's been over six months since I did that and there still is a visible darkening on my skin around it. But during 9 months or so of using the iodine rinse at least every other day there's been no sign of any staining on my skin. Also, when I put the 12% iodine on my wrist the stain would stay there for a couple of hours. I don't know what to make of it, maybe iodine stains very little when used in a weak concentration and that's why I never noticed it?

The iodine rinse may be worth trying for you as I did suffer from hair loss too and it was pretty bad. I was concerned about the amount of hair left on my comb, mostly because of other symptoms I was suffering from. It made me wonder how bad my overall health actually was and what was going on inside my body since the outside was reacting this badly. I don't know what the case with you is, my hair loss was clearly an external sign of poor internal health, I don't know whether iodine would be equally effective if hair loss was more of a natural process due to age for example.

There is new hair growing all over my head too. When I blow-dried my hair with my head down one time I ended up looking like a little hedgehog for the rest of the day due to the new hair sticking out :) I didn't notice it until a colleague asked me if I was receiving a radio signal or something :shock: so maybe it will help you as well.

I'd definitely check if mixing iodine with coconut oil like Gaby said will prevent staining in less visible areas before using it on your hair. Or an iodine rinse left in for a while and followed by a Vitamin C rinse? Or maybe the colourless potassium iodide would do the same job for you? Gosh, I have more questions than answers really :umm:

Ant22 said:
I'd definitely check if mixing iodine with coconut oil like Gaby said will prevent staining in less visible areas before using it on your hair. Or an iodine rinse left in for a while and followed by a Vitamin C rinse? Or maybe the colourless potassium iodide would do the same job for you? Gosh, I have more questions than answers really :umm:

:lol: That's fine ant22. Mixing it with coconut oil sounds like a good idea to me cause I've had someone else tell me that was great for their scalp too. I'll just try to be careful and do it on one of my days off in case I have to stay home.

Pete if you want potassium iodide (SSKI) I can bring some next meeting.

You can also remove the color from the iodine by mixing it with a tiny bit of vitamin C. As we saw on your counter, vitamin C converts the elemental purple iodine into colorless iodide/etc :)

Chemistry is fun, not just for nerds :)

ant22, that second to last column with F I Cl Br are called halogens:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen

Since they are 1 tiny electron short of a totally balanced electron cloud (they call them valences- those rings the electrons are in around the nucleus). That means they want an electron bad to finish their set- and flouride is especially reactive in this way, so it's used in a lot of industrial and medical processes- out of ignorance pfft!

Divide By Zero said:
Pete if you want potassium iodide (SSKI) I can bring some next meeting.

Thanks for the reminder DBZ. I actually have an unopened bottle of that in my cabinet. ;) Probably better I use that instead.

Merci Ant22, :hug2:
Je venais juste de laver mes cheveux quand je regardais la brosse pleine de cheveux comme à chaque fois et je m’inquiétais en me demandant pourquoi je perds autant de cheveux, quand j’ai lu ce que ça fait pour vous je me suis dit peut-être qui il a un espoir pour moi, mais il y avait juste un truc qui me bloquait c’était le coût de l’iode parce que je suis très limite financièrement, mais Laura a toujours la réponse finale à mon soucis alors merci à toi Laura, j’espère qu’avec cette formule ça marchera pour moi.

Je ne suis pas très fière de dire cela parce que je n’aide personne ici, mais quand je suis vraiment inquiète ou j’ai une question qui me trottine dans la tête on finit toujours par me donner la réponse ici sur le forum.
Milles merci à vous tous.

Thanks Ant22,
I had just washed my hair when I was looking at the brush full of hair like every time and I was worried by wondering why I was losing so much hair when I read what it did to you I said to myself -be that he has a hope for me, but there was just one thing that was blocking me it was the cost of iodine because I'm very financially limited, but Laura always has the final answer to my worries so thanks to Laura, I hope that with this formula it will work for me.

I'm not very proud to say that because I'm not helping anyone here, but when I'm really worried or I have a question in my head, I always get the answer here on the forum.
Thank you to all of you. :hug:

PhoenixToEmber said:
Could topical iodine on the scalp help with dandruff?

It seems it can:

You can use it to prevent and treat seborrhoeic conditions of the scalp associated with excessive dandruff, pruritus (itching), scaling, exudation (wet lesions), erythema (inflamed redness) as well as fungal infections (Pityriasis capitis) and infected lesions of the scalp - (furunculosis, infective folliculitis and impetigo).

http://betadine.co.za/scalp-care/

Those who cannot find iodine shampoo can also use povidone-iodine foam. I see that many people recommend it for hair problems.

_http://www.ana.rs/forum/index.php?topic=2388.msg751891#msg751891

PhoenixToEmber said:
Could topical iodine on the scalp help with dandruff?

I don't know myself as I never used it for dandruff but as Persej posted above, it should! Gaby also posted about kefir she made with fungus someone gave her and it helped her with dandruff so that may be something for you to consider as well.

Also, one of the issues iodine helps with is candida and I just found information that apparently one of the causes of dandruff is a form of yeast/fungus, called Malassezia Globosa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malassezia). So I guess iodine should do the job with dandruff too.

Ant22 said:
Gaby also posted about kefir she made with fungus someone gave her and it helped her with dandruff so that may be something for you to consider as well.

Yeah, I could try kefir too if iodine doesn't help. I tried kombucha but it didn't help.

Persej said:
Ant22 said:
Gaby also posted about kefir she made with fungus someone gave her and it helped her with dandruff so that may be something for you to consider as well.

Yeah, I could try kefir too if iodine doesn't help. I tried kombucha but it didn't help.

There are 2 types of kefir I think. One that is made with milk, and another one that is made with water and sugar, and it is called water kefir.
Water kefir looks like small crystals.You put then in a jar with water and some sugar.

Maybe that watery liquid will be more suitable for hair rinsing or for some topical applications.

Laura said:
Don't forget betadine solution as an iodine wash.

Yes, thanks for the reminder.
I will try this form of iodine to see if it's efficient for dandruff, because I have some.

Aboutr dandruff, what I can see is that doing Oil Pulling Therapy (with coconut oil, for example, but I guess it's work with any oil) remove dandruff and improve the skin on the face. It's fun to see it... This thing is claimed par Dr Fife in his book (oil Pulling Therapy), and I can attest that it's true.

Back
Top Bottom