Greece: debt, creditors, austerity measures, Syriza, Varoufakis, Troika

Mr.Cyan said:
Thanks Alana for the post and interesting article from Alexander Mercouris.

It is certainly plausible. The decisions made by Syriza and Tsipras especially leading up to referendum and after - i think clearly show there are some hidden hands behind the scenes. It could well likely be the Greek oligarchs, as i guess they are the ones with the most to "lose" if Greece tries to reform its economy and switch to the new currency.

About Schauble offering Greece 50 Billion Euro to exit. I think this is plausible as well - as i do know that public opinion in Germany is that they dont want to foot the bill of any more bailouts etc. I recall reading an article that Merkel and CDU conduct policy and make decisions based on "think thank's" views. Basically always taking the middle path and making decisions according to the majority of the views of the German people...offcourse i guess majority views can always be shaped by their control of the media...

Time will tell, and it will be interesting to read his next analysis after his visit to Greece.

Yeah, I agree. Will be looking forward to his updated analysis too, as there's been so much noise from all directions and all sorts of contradictory claims.... One thing that seems to be clear is that if there was the political will and the competence and preparation, Greece could have left the Euro and really reformed in ways to get the country back on the right track.

luke wilson said:
People can say whatever they want to say but the world shows clearly what is true. We live in a hierarchical world and therefore, there will always be people at the bottom and a few at the top. Applies everywhere, even in BRICS nation. Brazil is no paradise, poverty is rife, sure political corruption is rife, inequality rife, discrimination rife etc, Russia is no different, India the sane, add China to and lastly South Africa. The majority will always suffer for the benefit of the few. Just the structure of what surrounds us, both outside in the world and in our own nature as people. Ain't this what all STO channeled material has been saying?

Well, I don't think that applies to Russia and China, as a very large part of the populations lives and living standards have improved a lot in the last decade or more. The only way that can happen is if there's the political will and the competence to make it happen - it won't happen on its own. Even if nothing is done, things will tend to get worse, if left to its own path, especially when starting out with a very bad situation. There are other countries where this kind of improvement happened too, and it's always because some new leadership wanted things to get better and had enough of a competent team to work on it to make it happen....

When you look at the world, especially the political "West" and its vassals, things have been getting worse and worse for the same duration of time. It's more complex than saying they're all the same, etc. Because if we're going to be as objective as possible, and compare what's going on all around the world, we have to give credit where credit is due when leadership in some of these countries has worked long and hard to get some results in the opposite direction of the rest of the world pathocracy - AND they had to do it all against all odds with attacks from all quarters (including 5th column internal sabotage) so that they wouldn't be able to improve things.

Mr.Cyan said:
Thanks Alana for the post and interesting article from Alexander Mercouris.

It is certainly plausible. The decisions made by Syriza and Tsipras especially leading up to referendum and after - i think clearly show there are some hidden hands behind the scenes. It could well likely be the Greek oligarchs, as i guess they are the ones with the most to "lose" if Greece tries to reform its economy and switch to the new currency.

About Schauble offering Greece 50 Billion Euro to exit. I think this is plausible as well - as i do know that public opinion in Germany is that they dont want to foot the bill of any more bailouts etc. I recall reading an article that Merkel and CDU conduct policy and make decisions based on "think thank's" views. Basically always taking the middle path and making decisions according to the majority of the views of the German people...offcourse i guess majority views can always be shaped by their control of the media...

Time will tell, and it will be interesting to read his next analysis after his visit to Greece.

Thank you too Alana. For me it is no surprise to consider the possibility that Schauble proposed and wanted a Grexit. Because he would have the chance to control it and make it fit his own terms and needs. Because a so-called "Grexit" can have many different forms and shapes. Not all "Grexits" are good for the Greek people. For example it could be limited to just exiting Eurozone. But what about the new Greek currency, the "Drachma", in such an event? Would it be still connected to the "parent" Euro (being more like a soft "Euro v.2", and even with fixed rating between the two) and thus still not really available for printing to the proper quantity and/or value Greece needs? Open also to speculators in international currency markets, both of which would mean more disaster for Greeks? Or it would be (for some time) a "protected" currency used solely for satisfying the domestic needs and growth of Greek economy, being this way the tool for precise monetary control of both value and liquidity, while unavailable to the vultures of the currency-exchange market trading?

A "Grexit" could also come to be an exit from the European Union too. This would mean that Greece would be further relieved by not having to comply to the suffocating regulations and legislation of the EU, like the monstrous "Common Agricultural Policy" and so many other nasty EU laws that were made to fit the economy of Germany and maybe France... And what about the huge Greek public debt in a post-Grexit scenario? Will there be a consensus for a common agreement for it to be "restructured" (meaning more new loans with longer servicing time, to pay and replace the expiring old ones)? Loans that would then become even more unbearable by having to be paid back by Greece using a devaluated new national currency? Ideally a new Drachma would definitely have to be devaluated so as to give Greek economy the healthy competitive boost that it lacks from using the "hard" Euro. Or the greater part of the public debt will be unilaterally refuted by Greece as illegal and odious, permanently removing this burden, but setting a bad example for other debt ridden countries in the EU? What about the WW2 reparations Germany owns to Greece and are near 320 billion Euros, almost as much as the public debt itself? Will they be forgotten, or maybe exchanged with current Greek debt to Germany, or what? There are many on-going issues a "Grexit" must settle.

To cut a long story short, my impression after these past few years of reading about a "Grexit" and it's variations is this: What Greece actually needs is both an exit from Eurozone and the European Union. Anything less will not really do, as Greece remaining bound to EU's laws would not allow it the freedom to use all the proper "tools" for recovering it's society and economy. Then the new Drachma has for a few years to be in a "protected state", removed from markets and the possibility of speculation and manipulation of it's value through international cross-currency exchange trade. Then the public debt has to be unilaterally written off by Greece at least by 70%. This has been substantiated thoroughly, and is in accordance to Greek constitution and international law. The rest of the debt should only start to be paid again after the economy fully recovers from the huge 25% loss of GDP it suffered the past 6 years. These are some very-very important aspects a "Grexit" should have in my view, if it is to serve the well-being of the Greek people. Many other things are important too, but these three (an exit from European Union too, the control and protection of new Drachma, and public debt-write off) are for me the details to really look out for whenever I hear someone arguing for or against a "Grexit", and I want to estimate their true intentions and who they serve. So Schauble might have wanted a kind of "Grexit", but only his own inspired version of it, one that is nowhere near what it should be in order to serve and relief the suffering of Greek people.

Thank you.

Slightly going off topic from Greece

SeekinTruth said:
Well, I don't think that applies to Russia and China, as a very large part of the populations lives and living standards have improved a lot in the last decade or more. The only way that can happen is if there's the political will and the competence to make it happen - it won't happen on its own. Even if nothing is done, things will tend to get worse, if left to its own path, especially when starting out with a very bad situation. There are other countries where this kind of improvement happened too, and it's always because some new leadership wanted things to get better and had enough of a competent team to work on it to make it happen....

When you look at the world, especially the political "West" and its vassals, things have been getting worse and worse for the same duration of time. It's more complex than saying they're all the same, etc. Because if we're going to be as objective as possible, and compare what's going on all around the world, we have to give credit where credit is due when leadership in some of these countries has worked long and hard to get some results in the opposite direction of the rest of the world pathocracy - AND they had to do it all against all odds with attacks from all quarters (including 5th column internal sabotage) so that they wouldn't be able to improve things.

Very true.. the situation in the world is complex.

Fortune is like a wheel.... whenever someones fortune is going down, another ones is going up. It doesn't necessarily mean that the one whose fortune is going up is somehow better than the one whose fortune is going down. Things move in cycles and this is a mechanical world after all.

Living standards in various countries in the world has gone up in recent years as their economies grow due to various reasons. China for example has seen a huge increase in its GDP and one can argue that Russia, even though it hasn't made global headlines in terms of sheer economic growth, its economy hasn't faced the same turmoils the economies in the West have in recent times. I should also remind you that at one point not to long ago, before the financial crisis struck the west, Moscow had one of the highest concentrations of billionaires. Nonetheless, despite all what you say about Russia and China in terms of economics, the disparity between the very poor and the very Rich is huge. The middle class in both countries as a percentage of the population can't compare to the middle class of Europe and North America. You can make the point that the middle class in the West is heavily in debt but regardless, it still has huge purchasing power. More so than the corresponding middle classes in China and Russia as whole nations.

The leadership in both countries have done tremendously well not to be vassals of the western governments, which if we are to be honest, have become very Rich through ploughing other countries in the most undiplomatic of ways imaginable, war profiteering, stealing of resources, access to cheap labour etc. This is a super plus that these 2 governments haven't fallen prey to the western governments but also is part of what is normal in the world. It is not normal in the world for everyone to just submit to bullies and you will always get those who stand up to bullies successfully. There are those who stand up to bullies unsuccesfully and there are many countries in the world where this can be seen. However, China and Russia are have stood up so far successfully. At no point in the known history of the world have you had 1 bully put the whole world into submission. There have always been those who have stood up and done so without being crashed as they offer a natural counter balance.

Finishing off, my point about the BRICS in general is that within those countries, despite what their governments have done on the international stage, they still face huge internal challenges. There are many positives, but there are also negatives which persist. As a person living in a country, your reality is not only what the government is doing on an international level, but also what it is doing in the country, for the whole population, not just things that affect a few. I am saddened for example that in Russia I hear that Xenophobia exists and persists against caucasian minorities for example and that deep divisions exist. I have read a lot of articles and watched enough youtube videos to see that this is indeed the reality. That swastikas can be found in open display regardless of whether this is one of the countries that fought the nazis and lost so many people doing so or that you hear whispers about corrupt police behaviour regarding bribes which is per for the course, or what about sexism or what about lack of the means to fight against such stuff within the society in such a way that will lead to institutional change towards such things. The populations though not western is still not 'advanced' despite the seeming appearance of its government to be advanced, and therefore it still falls prey to many of the same things that have afflicted societies the world over. So, my point, the many suffer for the privilege of the few the world over.

Need I also remind you that in this very forum you have had russians come in, spoken in russian language, in the most misogynistic of ways towards the female moderators... these very same people have had to be put in check by other russian speakers who could understand what they were saying... Point being.... the world is complex and just because Putin is busy kicking ass on the international level, doesn't mean he is presiding over a population that is fair and just and all these good things that make your heart go warm and fuzzy.

Whole point being that things happen on their own, mechanically... mechanically people will rise to stand up against tyranny but also mechanically people will continue to act the way they do i.e. they will be bad/evil if it suits them...

End of going off topic. :)

I think you're mixing too many things - some of them being the narrative/propaganda of the West - about China and Russia, luke wilson. A very large amount of their problems that the governments / leadership have solved / improved greatly were CAUSED by the West. And they have made these improvements in an impressively short time and against very difficult circumstances. Point being that a small percentage of pathological and ponerized people everywhere (and the ponerized do seem to be much less in Russia and China - as if they've developed some immunity) will always try to dominate everything in society. But if there's leadership with a team to stop them from succeeding in dominating and infecting everything, and protecting the majority from the predators as much as is possible from the starting positions, you'll see results like in Russia and China. Otherwise, you'll see what's happening in most of the rest of the world, particularly the "West", where a pathocracy matures and has nowhere to go but down.

While there are bigots/xenophobes and even neo-nazis in Russia, for example, the picture you present is quite exaggerated, as people from the Caucasus, including Armenia, have a very large number of people living and working in Russia (many sending money home) without any problems.

Another thing you said that's not accurate at all is the "buying power" of the middle class in the West. You can't be over-indebted, with wages/salaries going down for decades, wealth being redistributed upwards at an ever faster pace, and have any "buying power" to speak of (that's just a cover story that helps the process of making them poorer and debt slaves without noticing, crying out, or doing anything about it until it's too late). When credit (debt) was the driver for consumer spending (mostly on unneeded things), it drove western economies to a large part. With the situation getting out of control with all the scams and criminality of the banksters, we see a situation where ever larger parts of (what used to be) the middle class can barely survive, and their debts are a big trap for them AND the economies they live in - as the debt burden is unsustainable, but the economies will collapse in a "credit/debt" deflation when the scams are up....

Think about how complex large countries/societies like Russia and China are, and how difficult it would be to make the kind of positive changes they've had in the last 15 years or so. Think of the circumstances they started out with and had to deal with all the while making those changes, decisions, and policies that led to the improvements. Large differences between the very rich and the very poor are facts of life that have been around for thousands of years. The important facts about the achievements of the Russian and Chinese leadership is that they've succeeded in not letting the super rich oligarchs in dominating everything and controlling policy so that they've been able to make the positive changes they have made - WITHOUT hurting they're economies and creating job losses by going after every oligarch. Instead, they made the practical decisions to let oligarchs have their businesses and create/retain jobs, etc., as long as they are not directly and overly working against the interests of the country and its people. That's the way it has to work in the real world.

Yeah, we live in a mechanically STS world, but it takes a certain vision, will, hard work, and competence to consistently work against the mechanical (and also willful on the part of the pathological and ponerized) tendency of thing getting worse, or at least remaining as dreadful as they were....

SeekinTruth said:
Think about how complex large countries/societies like Russia and China are, and how difficult it would be to make the kind of positive changes they've had in the last 15 years or so. Think of the circumstances they started out with and had to deal with all the while making those changes, decisions, and policies that led to the improvements. Large differences between the very rich and the very poor are facts of life that have been around for thousands of years. The important facts about the achievements of the Russian and Chinese leadership is that they've succeeded in not letting the super rich oligarchs in dominating everything and controlling policy so that they've been able to make the positive changes they have made - WITHOUT hurting they're economies and creating job losses by going after every oligarch. Instead, they made the practical decisions to let oligarchs have their businesses and create/retain jobs, etc., as long as they are not directly and overly working against the interests of the country and its people. That's the way it has to work in the real world.

Yeah, we live in a mechanically STS world, but it takes a certain vision, will, hard work, and competence to consistently work against the mechanical (and also willful on the part of the pathological and ponerized) tendency of thing getting worse, or at least remaining as dreadful as they were....

Thanks SeekinTruth, i think you have summarised quite well the situation in Russia and China - and most importantly how they managed to balance the interests of the majority of the people, increase their social wellbeing - while keeping the oligarchs at bay. This is no easy feat, and requires foresight and good leadership. Offcourse it is not perfect, and there are still issues with poverty and corruption in Russia and China, but again these are being addressed and worked upon. Both these countries are vast in land area and complex politically and socio-economically, and in my opinion, i similarly feel that the measures taken by their current leadership to get them to this stage have been remarkable.

Edit:
Coming back to Greece, i guess this was the path that I was hoping that Syriza would lead Greece to; however this is not looking very likely at the moment...i still have hope though...

You know, I don't really know. Never been to Russia or China nor lived there so who knows if it'll be better than living in the west. Also the lack of knowledge of the different layers of these societies and experience therein means I don't really know. For sure I am more informed about the west, both from experience and extra stuff like reading and interacting with others. Do you know about Russia and China or are you just saying things you've read in articles like me? I had one really good Russian friend at university who was just here studying. To him Russia was Moscow & St Petersburg. He was super wealthy though and his views were skewed that way. From him I got the impression the mental divide between the poor and the rich still exists there I.e. The poor are poor because they are lazy and don't work hard enough.

I had a western friend who just went in may for the big parade and took the time to listen to the media over there about what they are saying. According to him its like over here except reversed, I.e. Anti American. He basically said that its hard to get a clear image because obviously all these different outlets have their own agenda. For sure he said the western media misreports on the situation over there because of entrenched agendas...

All I am saying is that I wont buy into an idea where there is one side which is good and another side which is bad. Reading, hearing from people with direct experience indicates there ate many grey spots and I don't have enough personal experience and knowledge to come to an informed view.

PS: Not looking for drama... Just want to get my impressions right in my head. I don't disagree with what has been said, just feel its pushing me to see Russia & China and BRICS in general in to much of a positive light and I don't want to be blind to the darkness that may lurk underneath these places. Anyways, that's my underlying mechanism.

I moved from US to Armenia in summer 2006. There are many deep ties between Armenia and Russia - as I said many people from Armenia work and live in Russia and come back (many also live there permanently/semi-permanently). Plus you don't have to live somewhere to see the general direction of where the country's been going - domestically and in international relations and stances. If I'm not mistaken, Mr.Cyan lives in Hong Kong (and knows personally about China proper).

Look at how the Russian media covers important world events. You would be lucky to have the level of freedom of expression and press in the West - not to mention the much more accurate reporting on these. AND they allow the outright lies and propaganda from western financed media too, but the Russian people for the most part can see right through that nonsense. Any Western politician would be lucky to have 1/2 the approval rating and support, in his/her wildest dreams, that President Putin has (around 89%). Under the conditions of having so much wider media views and reporting with much more integrity, that approval rating reflects the informed views of the vast majority of the Russian public whose lives greatly improved under the 15 years of President Putin's leadership. The fact of the matter is that Putin and his team are a legitimate government elected by much better informed and with much deeper hard life experiences people than anything remotely comparable in the West. I can go on and on.

I've never lived in UK (and except for visiting London and Brighton for a couple of weeks in 1985, have no personal experience there), but I have quite an accurate picture of what life in the UK is like. I also know some people who are from the UK and visit Armenia (they have "summer homes" near where I live) and want to sell their business and move to Armenia to retire, etc. And these people were not born in Armenia, as I was, though I lived most of my life in New York City area, even though they are from an Armenian background. If things weren't in such a drastic downward spiral in the West, people like this would never even think about such a move - heck, I wouldn't have thought about it (my move was to get the heck out of the US and the only place could think of to try first was here, as I know the language and wouldn't be in an immigrant status; but it was one of the best decisions I've made, not because the country is some impossible utopia, but it is just normal and livable enough to not drive me crazy like living in a sick society - a mature Pathocracy - like the US).

Ok, thanks. Now I see better where you are coming from! Have you been to Russia? Were your experiences good there? One day I will visit the surrounding central asian countries. Obviously I always want to be informed about stuff like xenophobia as the universe didn't grant me the privilege of hailing from the dominant groups.

PS: You aren't missing much from not having spent much time in the UK. Pretty standard western country.

Varoufakis is facing five separate lawsuits according to this report?

Former Greek finance minister Varoufakis facing calls for criminal prosecution
_http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/07/30/gree-j30.html

July 30, 2015 - The witch-hunt against former Syriza finance minister Yanis Varoufakis by various right-wing forces has intensified after Greece’s senior state prosecutor, Efterpi Koutzamani, ordered parliament to examine a swathe of complaints against him.

Five separate lawsuits have been brought against Varoufakis. He faces a series of charges that could lead to his imprisonment, including treason and participating in a criminal organisation.

He is under attack after revealing that he carried out “Plan B” contingency planning when he was finance minister, including looking at setting up a parallel payments system that could be rolled out overnight in the event that Greece’s banks were forced to close. (See: Conflicts erupt over Syriza’s contingency planning for Greek euro exit)

In transcripts of a private teleconference, leaked at the weekend by the right-wing Kathemerini, Varoufakis said that at one stage he enlisted a close friend of his, Michalis Hatzitheodorou, to hack into the public revenues system within the finance ministry.

The attacks against Varoufakis bear the hallmarks of a well-prepared operation. The first set of complaints were brought last week, with Kathemerini’s release of the transcripts then used to ratchet up the campaign

The first was brought by Apostolos Gletsos, an actor who is the head of the pro-EU Teleia (Full Stop) Party and the mayor of Stylida in central Greece. Teleia, a nationalist formation, was founded last year with Gletsos saying, “I support any and all views with a national concern whatever democratic party” they derived from and “honour and respect the people of our armed forces and our security forces who guarantee our safety.”

The second case was brought by lawyer Panagiotis Giannopoulos. His complaint accuses Varoufakis of high treason and causing “incalculable damage to the interests of the country.”

Koutzamani also authorised a colleague to establish whether any “non-political” figures should face criminal charges in connection with the affair.

This followed the decisions of a group of five lawyers who are seeking an investigation into the actions of Varoufakis and his associates. According to Kathemerini, the “charges would involve violation of privacy data, breach of duty, violation of currency laws and belonging to a criminal organization.”

Speculation emerged Wednesday that among the “non-political” figures who could face criminal charges is the US-based economist James K. Galbraith, with whom Varoufakis worked closely while finance minister.

The attempt to railroad Varoufakis takes place as representatives of the European Union (EU) led “troika” return to Athens in order to oversee the imposition of the £12 billion austerity package it finalised with the government of Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras this month. This would lay the basis for a third “bailout”, in which up to €86 billion would be released to Greece.

As with the previous loans, this would go straight back to paying off Greece’s creditors and would be contingent on even deeper cuts and a further decimation of democratic rights.

So despised are the troika that its “technical” team, who returned to Athens in the last few days, is being guarded around the clock at the city’s Hilton hotel by more than 250 police officers.

The lawsuit of Gletsos reveals the openly pro-EU bias of the campaign against Varoufakis. It states Varoufakis, “either through malice or extreme negligence,” exposed Greece and its citizens to negative reactions by third countries. The actions of Varoufakis “upset the friendly relations of the Greek state with our partners in the European Union” and caused “massive damage to the Greek economy.”

The witch-hunt testifies to the reactionary character of the EU. Even the consideration of any contingency plans, not overseen by the troika, is now treated as serious criminal activity.

Under Greek law, Varoufakis, as a sitting deputy, is immune from prosecution. Only parliament, by a ballot, can decide if immunity can be lifted so he can stand trial.

Four deputies from the main conservative opposition New Democracy (ND), have submitted a request that Varoufakis be forced to testify before a parliamentary commission. Their letter also threatens Tsipras’ position asking, "if the Prime Minister and the government were aware of the actions of the former Minister of Finance and to what extent.”

Varoufakis and his team, the deputies say, wanted to establish a parallel banking system, "which would operate with euro first but had the potential of becoming a harbinger of the drachma."

ND deputy and shadow finance minister Anna Asimakopoulou told the Guardian Wednesday, “I would not want to be in Varoufakis’ shoes. I think that it is highly likely he will end up in a courtroom.”

In response, Varoufakis said he would have been “remiss” not to have formulated alternative plans. In an article published in the Financial Times on Tuesday he noted the dictatorial powers imposed by the troika in Greece over the last five years in which basic democratic norms have been torn up.

Varoufakis said he was forced to take the measures outlined in the transcripts as there is “a hideous restriction of national sovereignty imposed by the ‘troika’ of lenders on Greek ministers, who are denied access to departments of their ministries pivotal in implementing innovative policies.”

He followed this up with a tweet to US columnist Paul Krugman, Wednesday, reading, “Have you not heard Paul? Drawing up contingency plans vs the troika unapproved by the troika = High Treason.”

Such is the scale of Tsipras’s capitulation to the troika that it has forced a section of his party, the Left Platform, headed by the Stalinist Panagiotis Lafazanis, to register their opposition.

On Monday evening, the Left Platform held a rally in Athens addressed by Lafazanis, in which he outlined his faction’s policies, including a Greek withdrawal from the euro zone on a nationalist basis. Describing the event the GreekReporter website said it “looked suspiciously like an election campaign.”

Speculation intensified this week that Tsipras will split with the Left Platform, which would necessitate him calling new elections, in order to secure a parliamentary majority and pass the savage cuts demanded by the troika.

On Wednesday, Tsipras threatened the Left Platform with expulsion if they did not support the agreement he signed. Speaking to Sto Kokkino radio station he said, “Regardless of whether or not we agree or disagree with these conventional obligations, we will implement them. But nothing beyond that.”

“You can’t say you disagree with government decisions but that you back the government,” adding that those who opposed him in parliament should “give up their seats.”

“I’m the last person who would want elections. If I don’t have a parliamentary majority, though, we will be forced to head to a snap vote.”

Referring to the various pseudo-left outfits that make up Syriza, Tsipras warned, “Syriza’s problems are not going to become the country’s problems… We must admit that Syriza never became a unified party. The effort to move from a party of many factions to a unified one didn’t bring the desired results.”

Syriza’s central committee is to meet today, with the Left Platform demanding that an emergency party congress be called immediately. Tsipras told the party’s political secretariat Monday he favoured a congress in September, i.e., in the aftermath of a new loan agreement with the troika, expected to be reached by August 20.

luke wilson said:
Ok, thanks. Now I see better where you are coming from! Have you been to Russia? Were your experiences good there? One day I will visit the surrounding central asian countries. Obviously I always want to be informed about stuff like xenophobia as the universe didn't grant me the privilege of hailing from the dominant groups.

PS: You aren't missing much from not having spent much time in the UK. Pretty standard western country.

No, the only time I was in Russia was for about a week in 1975 in Moscow on our way out of the Soviet Union (with a 45 day stay in Rome) on our way to the US - but that was Soviet Russia and I was only 8 years old. But I have several friends that have visited / are visiting Russia recently and I get some input from those direct experiences.

@angelburst29, thanks for that wsws.org article. The plot thickens yet again....

From Yanis Varoufakis' blog:

“Treason charges: What lurks behind the bizarre allegations” by Yanis Varoufakis

http://yanisvaroufakis.eu/2015/07/29/treason-charges-what-lurks-behind-the-bizarre-allegations/

“(…)Instead of indicting, and persecuting, those who, to this day, function within the public sector as the troika’s minions and lieutenants (while receiving their substantial salaries from the long-suffering Greek taxpayers), politicians and parties whom the electorate condemned for their efforts to turn Greece into a protectorate are now persecuting me, aided and abetted by the oligarchs’ media. I wear their accusations as badges of honour (…)”

angelburst29 said:
Varoufakis is facing five separate lawsuits according to this report?

Former Greek finance minister Varoufakis facing calls for criminal prosecution
_http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/07/30/gree-j30.html

5, eh? Last time I heard about it there were 3.

This whole thing against Varoufakis is ridiculous. There are so many enemies outside and inside Greece lurking waiting to make profit on the suffering of the people, all those oligarchs who benefited from the EE austerity measures and thus promoted them despite the outcome for everyone else, those people that now go to the trouble to sue Varoufakis show their true colours. There's something that Tsipras said in a radio interview 2 days ago about all these rumors about extravagant and illogical plans that the government or members of the government had in store, and he said that they obviously spring from within Greece itself, they go around the world, and then come back to Greece again to become known there.

I was just reading the reply Tsipras gave today in Parliament to the president of PASOK, called Fofi, about the accusations against Varoufaki and how he stood by him. From Greek link, http://www.koutipandoras.gr/article/147226/tsipras-se-gennimata-eiha-dosei-entoli-sto-varoyfaki-na-sygkrotisei-shedio-amynas-gia

here's translation

I instructed Varoufakis to establish a deference plan - for scandals turn to Venizelos

(Venizelos - member of PASOK, held positions in Greek government since 1993 until SYRIZA was elected last January)

Alexis Tsipras totally covered Yianis Varoufakis regarding the notorious Plan B in reply to Fofi during Prime Minister's Time. He said it was the government's obligation to devise a defense plan when lenders had already drawn up a Grexit plan and even pointed out that Varoufakis' plan has positive elements which can be used under normal conditions. The prime minister accused the president of PASOK on political expediency and urged her that if she is looking for scandals, to look inside her own party, referring specifically to Evangelos Venizelos.

Tsipras spoke of efforts to attack the 5-month negotiations by those who never negotiated, the negotiations of his government who tried to defend the Greek people. [...]

"Grexit Plan we never had, emergency plan we obviously had and you would be calling us on it if we did not," said Alexis Tsipras, raising the tone of his voice.

Alexis Tsipras charged Fofi with "flagrant political expediency" and accused PASOK that it had never prepared for anything and that they want the country as "sheep for slaughter."

At this point the Prime Minister went on a counterattack and told Fofi that if she is looking for scandals, she should look inside her party and the governments in which it participated. He even mentioned the submarines, the concealment of the Lagarde list and the "Agricultural Bank loans." "Now that Justice breathes ..." said the prime minister twice, wanting to show that the change in the political climate accelerates judicial procedures.

Saw your post seekingtruth, yes, I just saw that too.

All these lawsuits prove that Varoufakis has been chosen as a target by the oligarchs and their media, the deep state, the other corrupt puppet Greek political parties and even the big part of SYRIZA that voted for the new humiliating agreement, in order to set an example and penalize any discussion about an alternative to the complete submission of Greece, thus supporting and trying to establish the "TINA" (There Is No Alternative) doctrine.

And although I do not agree with all of Varoufakis' views and proposed solutions, I still think he is a really smart person with integrity of character that might also prove to be more than they can chew. Especially for Tsipras, I think that his apparent change of tune in his last speeches and his seemingly "support" for Varoufakis, comes only from the realization of how popular he is among Greeks as even in the last elections when SYRIZA came in power, he received a great more votes than any of SYRIZA's "traditional" party members.

It is evident that Varoufakis (together with the president of the parliament, Zoe Konstantopoulou) has all the potential to become a major player in Greek politics in the next critical months, and the attack he receives at the moment by all these corrupt centers of power can only make him more popular with the Greek people, who know pretty well by now what his "opponents" and accusers stand for.

Thank you.

Does anyone know what the status of investigation of the Greek Parliamentary Investigative Committee on the Greek debt is? I haven't run into any updated material on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom