Gagging while Swallowing Fat

I'd gag too.

I wouldn't be surprised if your body was uninterested in stimulating further unnecessarily immune responses given the high pork content of your diet.

BTW I'm a fan of ghee. It's not clarified butter. Done correctly it no longer has water or lactose content, clarified butter retains both because they weren't cooked out.

Scientists at the list of senses with bitter, sweet, salty, sour and umami, want to add a taste of fat. More than half of respondents can distinguish fatty acids than other flavors.
Scientists will have to do more testing to oleogustus and officially became the new flavor, but also to find out why we vomiting in raw form, and causes pleasure when we eat food after heat treatment.

Link:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/fat-sense-scientists-show-distinct-taste-fat-32648645

Thorn said:
Huxley said:
Thorn said:
Aparently goats milk/butter contains less casein than cows butter . About a month ago I went from strictly no butter(only ghee and tallow) to eating butter again, for about a month now I have been feeling crappy and really tired after eating, also having a neck ache and sneezing within about 5 mins of eating a butter fat bomb :O I agree everyone can tolerate different things, but it was only when I eliminated butter for a period and went back to eating it again that I realised how bad a reaction I get to it.

Wu Wei Wu I think ACV is apple cider vinegar

Ive also cut out butter, for 2 months+, and have recently re-introduced it. But avoid using it for puddings, keeping it to the fat i have on my meat. And not every meal/day. When you re-introduced butter, did you consume it in moderation along side all the other forms of fat? Or did it become the number one fat to eat for energy?
I personally feel alot more clean and straight headed when i fuel myself off direct animal fats, with butter as a side to my food. Maybe you consumed too much too soon, especially with the fat bomb?
But it is always good to test these things, due to different peoples sensitivities! Ive not yet tried goats butter, have you noticed any intolerance to that of cows butter when you have had it (that's if you have :P),

:-[ It pretty much became the main source of fat, I admit I got lazy and just reached for the butter! I think you're right, it was way too much and definitely too soon. Just these few days being off it I feel way better, no neck ache and less phlegm.

I can't say I was looking out for any reactions to the goats butter to be honest, I was trying it for taste really rather than testing it haha. It would be interesting to see if there is any difference though

I was cautious of jumping back to mainly butter, because i felt so good with it cut out of the diet. If your off it again then maybe next time you want to try it, try not to over consume.
I found that it becomes quite addictive and easy to over indulge and forget about incorporating a variety of fats along side it. Which is a hazard light for me!

Thanks for the ACV recommendation. I haven't found any where I am yet, but I know it's around here somewhere since I've seen other people with it.

Notably, I've started testing butter in my diet. I don't appear to be having a reaction, though I've learned that chocolate is always a disaster.

I think I'm going to opt for Ghee over butter, it seems a wiser choice, just as soon as I can find it.

Wu Wei Wu said:
Thanks for the ACV recommendation. I haven't found any where I am yet, but I know it's around here somewhere since I've seen other people with it.

Notably, I've started testing butter in my diet. I don't appear to be having a reaction, though I've learned that chocolate is always a disaster.

I think I'm going to opt for Ghee over butter, it seems a wiser choice, just as soon as I can find it.

:lol: chocolate IS always a disaster! maybe we can tolerate it once enough gut healing has been done!

There are many online sites that sell butterghee,

US: http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Clarified-Butter-Ghee/dp/B00G12Z36W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438168050&sr=8-2&keywords=butter+ghee&pebp=1438168076346&perid=1VV34C5MSWTPDWVXS1VX

UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=butter+ghee

Huxley: yep totally agree, I think it probably has something to do with the casein/ opioids that make it addictive and easy to consume LOADS in one go! I think I will stay off it for now, as I can see/feel the benefits already.

Lilyalic said:
Wu Wei Wu said:

:lol: chocolate IS always a disaster! maybe we can tolerate it once enough gut healing has been done!

There are many online sites that sell butterghee,

US: http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Clarified-Butter-Ghee/dp/B00G12Z36W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438168050&sr=8-2&keywords=butter+ghee&pebp=1438168076346&perid=1VV34C5MSWTPDWVXS1VX

UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=butter+ghee

I also agree, last time I ate abit too much chocolate with a (high carb content) I felt more anxious and really emotional, unsure whether that has something to do with the carbs or something nasty in the actual chocolate.

Ghee is actually really easy to make, I usually put 9-10 packs of butter in a large saucepan on the stove and leave to simmer occasionally stirring so the milk solids don't burn on the bottom of the pan. When all the milk solids have sunk to the bottom and it looks golden and clear you strain it through a cheese cloth... done!

I found a video on youtube explaining the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZgIN4cZYc hope it helps :)

On the subject of butter etc.

Not to be too much of a downer, but I've learned repeatedly that any food that I reeally enjoy or crave will hurt me. Even those foods widely regarded in the paleo community as safe or healthy. That includes chocolate (:wow:), cream, fruit, coffee, coconut cream, cashews & pistachios, wine, cakey food or anything made with "safe" flour such as arrowroot or almond.

I've never had a definitive answer from my body on the subject of butter - probably because the reaction is more subtle and takes days to gain momentum. I just know that I crave it much more than other forms of fat, and given the track record above, that is a bad sign for me. Many of us crave our most damaging foods most for some reason. Ghee is nowhere near as more-ish as butter, so maybe that's alright!

On the plus side, it's not this way for everyone, but it is always worth testing to find out.

Carl said:
On the subject of butter etc.

Not to be too much of a downer, but I've learned repeatedly that any food that I reeally enjoy or crave will hurt me. Even those foods widely regarded in the paleo community as safe or healthy. That includes chocolate (:wow:), cream, fruit, coffee, coconut cream, cashews & pistachios, wine, cakey food or anything made with "safe" flour such as arrowroot or almond.

I've never had a definitive answer from my body on the subject of butter - probably because the reaction is more subtle and takes days to gain momentum. I just know that I crave it much more than other forms of fat, and given the track record above, that is a bad sign for me. Many of us crave our most damaging foods most for some reason. Ghee is nowhere near as more-ish as butter, so maybe that's alright!

On the plus side, it's not this way for everyone, but it is always worth testing to find out.
Carl, are there any noticeable signs of inflammation when eating butter? A sign that I continually dismissed and was in denial over was a build up of phlegm in the throat instantly after consuming a small amount of butter. Since coming back off it recently I have noticed a marked difference in my concentration and no more phlegm in my throat after meals. I was wondering whether this could be an acquired allergy from cross-reactions with things like coffee and gluten back when they were major parts of the diet, and the gut just hasn't healed yet.

It would be worth trying Rostenbergs 10-day protocol and then re-testing butter to see whether it made any difference, although not too hopeful on that front :thdown:

Eating eggs occasionally will really help my mood and energy, but I shouldn't eat them very often. There are things like black tea that also help occasionally, but cause problems in the long run, and I do tend to crave it. Butter is often the opposite of craved by me, but it is an acceptable fuel. Optimal for me would probably be going back and forth between lard and butter.

When making Ghee not only does the bottom stuff need to be brown, but the air bubbles coming from it need to stop. They're actually from water, which you don't want in the Ghee or it can spoil at room temp.

Keyhole said:
Carl, are there any noticeable signs of inflammation when eating butter? A sign that I continually dismissed and was in denial over was a build up of phlegm in the throat instantly after consuming a small amount of butter. Since coming back off it recently I have noticed a marked difference in my concentration and no more phlegm in my throat after meals. I was wondering whether this could be an acquired allergy from cross-reactions with things like coffee and gluten back when they were major parts of the diet, and the gut just hasn't healed yet.

It would be worth trying Rostenbergs 10-day protocol and then re-testing butter to see whether it made any difference, although not too hopeful on that front :thdown:

Phlegm/sinus issues are the most well recognized symptom of it, but I have that all the time anyway so it's hard to tell. But someone mentioned on the forum a while ago about how butter causes their anxiety. Since then I have noticed a few times that I'll be sitting in work, for instance, and I start feeling all paranoid and worried for a few hours. These periods have coincided with eating butter, either in the morning or the night before. Still not conclusive though so I'll try it again in about a month when I want to gain some weight.

Trying it after a decent protocol like that is a good idea IMO :).

Keyhole said:
A sign that I continually dismissed and was in denial over was a build up of phlegm in the throat instantly after consuming a small amount of butter. Since coming back off it recently I have noticed a marked difference in my concentration and no more phlegm in my throat after meals. I was wondering whether this could be an acquired allergy from cross-reactions with things like coffee and gluten back when they were major parts of the diet, and the gut just hasn't healed yet.

Fwiw, when I ate butter I used to get brain fog and I had difficulties concentrating as well, but it doesn't seem to have that effect now. Based on what you wrote, I think that not eating butter for a while, and introducing it back some time later, sounds like a good idea!

Oxajil said:
Fwiw, when I ate butter I used to get brain fog and I had difficulties concentrating as well, but it doesn't seem to have that effect now. Based on what you wrote, I think that not eating butter for a while, and introducing it back some time later, sounds like a good idea!
Did you also used to get a build up of phlegm? I originally cut butter out for about 6 or 7 months, went back to it and it still causes the same problems although they seem to be more noticable now.

OneFielder said:
When making Ghee not only does the bottom stuff need to be brown, but the air bubbles coming from it need to stop. They're actually from water, which you don't want in the Ghee or it can spoil at room temp.

Fat rendering instructions sometimes say to make sure the fat gets to at least 250F so that you know the water is totally boiled out.

I did many experiments back when I was living off of eggs fried in butter, as to how to remove the casein. I found it was very hard to do without giving the butter a rancid taste. I found the best way was to cover the pan and wait for a thermometer under the lid to get to 154F. Then I could take the lid off and skim off the white stuff. The result was as buttery as you could possibly get. The skim even tasted fresh, and didn't turn brown. However it did affect me badly if I tasted it. This is not quite ghee, but it could be useful to someone.

Whether it goes rancid seems to depend a lot on the quality of butter. Sometimes I have fried butter completely black but it was still buttery and rather flavorful. Burnt butter is a real recipe and it is good when it's not rancid.

Oxajil said:

It seems like there is no ideal food that is available. Of the available ones however, it seems my body tolerates them better in rotation. Depending on timing and which foods I've eaten the previous few weeks, eggs and butter either improve my concentration or cause me problems.

Getting the temp just right isn't easy sometimes. If it's too low you'll create a heat barrier at the bottom. If it's too high it burns before it's done (rancid).

Stirring a little on the bottom stuff to make sure it doesn't create the barrier helps. But mostly making sure it bubbles and not settles, is important.

I prefer wider pans.

Back
Top Bottom