Gagging while Swallowing Fat

Caesar soup is good as well, and has a lot of fat in it I made it last weekend Alana posted the recipe thanks again Alana
_http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,37332.0.html

although, I may add the juice from half a lime and some hot peppers the next time I make it, I know about the gag reflex, I was like that
when I first started out but after a while it's no so bad, although you seem to be getting through it alright, whatever work's for you I suppose.

T.C. said:
Hi Mildain

What's your general diet situation?

I eat basically no carbs (only a few vegetables, some xylitol). No grains, no fruits, and I stay away from starchy vegetables. I eat alot of bacon and try to eat a pork chop or steak each day, but some days i skip the protein and do a day of just fat. I find lately that im getting a huge boost in energy because I started eating alot more raw fat. I drink down about 100-150ml in the morning, and sometimes before bed (I've noticed i sleep better, and can function better the next day if I do this). Im a terrible cook, so on a regular basis I eat :

Bacon
Bacon Fat
100% pure cocoa powder (22% fat) with heavy whipping cream (35%)
Pork Chops, usually 1 a day
Steaks
Eggs
Chicken

I only gag from pure coconut oil and bacon fat / beef tallow / goose fat. So I started taking it with ACV, and boy does it go down easy. No gagging at all !
So far no problems, but i hope im not damaging my gut by doing this. Any thoughts ?

Wu Wei Wu said:
In my experience it takes some getting used to. Most people can't tolerate eating as is.

Have you tried mixing fat into other foods? Using liquid fat in sauces is a great way to get more into your diet. Fat bombs are also pretty ingenious.

Do you have difficulty eating the fat on a steak? Or fat in bacon? Or crackling? There are lots of ways to ease yourself into it, depending on your sensitivity.

Yeah but when I do this I noticed I don't get as good an energy boost from it. When i eat it raw it seems to be alot better for consistent energy throughout the day. I don't have any problems with what you mentioned, just when it's pure. Cracklings (I render my own pork lard) I have no problems with either.

Huxley, I already drink (daily) a cup of hot chocolate with whipping cream.
Keyhole said:
If you cant eat the fat directly yet, use a egg yolk and mix it into the fat, this will emulsify it and form a gravy. For example, if you want to eat 50 g of butter with your meal, melt it first, add a table spoon of water and blend an egg yolk into it. You will find that the fat no longer takes on the consistency of fat, but is more like a creamy sauce. This will help while your body adjusts to the intake of fat. You can also try the fatbomb recipes and variations. You can also blend butter into drinks such as tea, coffee and cocoa.

I'll have to search the forum for some fatbomb stuff. I know it's been mentioned on the health & wellness radio shows a bunch of times, they usually have a recipe at the end of the show.

Seaniebawn said:
Caesar soup is good as well, and has a lot of fat in it I made it last weekend Alana posted the recipe thanks again Alana
_http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,37332.0.html

although, I may add the juice from half a lime and some hot peppers the next time I make it, I know about the gag reflex, I was like that
when I first started out but after a while it's no so bad, although you seem to be getting through it alright, whatever work's for you I suppose.

this is on my to-do list for sure.

Thanks alot guys !

Some great advice in the above posts. Using some digestive enzymes might help as well. I know when I first started increasing my fat intake, I felt really nauseous because my body wasn't used to having to digest so much fat. I also don't think I secreted enough hydrochloric acid either, which helps with protein digestion. Supporting your body while you transition into the keto diet is really important - there are quite a few threads on that.

Arwenn said:
Some great advice in the above posts. Using some digestive enzymes might help as well. I know when I first started increasing my fat intake, I felt really nauseous because my body wasn't used to having to digest so much fat. I also don't think I secreted enough hydrochloric acid either, which helps with protein digestion. Supporting your body while you transition into the keto diet is really important - there are quite a few threads on that.
I second the use of digestive enzymes to aid digestion. I learned the other day that improper digestion of the fats would cause the body to not absorb the nutrients properly. I think a good sign of improper digestion would be stomach aches and toilet troubles, constipation or diarrhea.

Many people are sensitive to dairy and there are some good articles on SOTT as to why a lot of our members cut out dairy from their diet (except butter)
http://www.sott.net/article/225467-Why-Milk-Is-So-Evil
All in all check out the diet and health section and SOTT, there is a wealth of knowledge that will help you make the most informed choice for yourself.

lainey said:
Arwenn said:
I second the use of digestive enzymes to aid digestion. I learned the other day that improper digestion of the fats would cause the body to not absorb the nutrients properly. I think a good sign of improper digestion would be stomach aches and toilet troubles, constipation or diarrhea.

Thanks, and to Arwenn also. I'll have to take a look around the forum for info on these enzymes.

Many people are sensitive to dairy and there are some good articles on SOTT as to why a lot of our members cut out dairy from their diet (except butter)
All in all check out the diet and health section and SOTT, there is a wealth of knowledge that will help you make the most informed choice for yourself.

Whipping cream contains almost no casein or lactose - very very small trace amounts, if there is any.
It's the same with butter as far as I know. Or am I missing somthing here?
I don't seem to get any reactions from the heavy whipping cream at all. I do get reactions to cheese, milk, and other dairy products though, so i've cut those out completely.

Butter has trace amounts of the problematic dairy proteins. This is why many use Ghee, which is further purified, though it can also have a small amount of problematic proteins.

I myself react to butter and am investigating Ghee.

On Coconut fat, a lot of people react to it. You aren't alone. There are more MCTs in it, and other things. Remember, you may be the first person in your heritage to be eating Coconut on a regular basis. Other populations have centuries or millennia with it. I encourage you to test it by eating none, then eating some alone, mixing it, eating gradually increasing amounts, etc. Maybe you're sensitive to it?

If you can take crackling easily, it sounds like you're on the right track. Lots of fat there too.

What is ACV? I don't have a gag reflex, but it is a mind over matter thing. It's still uncomfortable. If you've found a way to eat it as is and feel great, I'd like to know.

Mildain said:
lainey said:
Arwenn said:

Thanks, and to Arwenn also. I'll have to take a look around the forum for info on these enzymes.

Whipping cream contains almost no casein or lactose - very very small trace amounts, if there is any.
It's the same with butter as far as I know. Or am I missing somthing here?
I don't seem to get any reactions from the heavy whipping cream at all. I do get reactions to cheese, milk, and other dairy products though, so i've cut those out completely.
I just read all the comments on this page (linked below) and came to the conclusion that yes they do contain small amounts (same with butter like you said) so it depends on your sensitivity I guess. I react badly to cream but not butter but maybe cream in the UK is different to where you are from? Perhaps I'm thinking about a different kind of cream.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread47026.html

Aparently goats milk/butter contains less casein than cows butter . About a month ago I went from strictly no butter(only ghee and tallow) to eating butter again, for about a month now I have been feeling crappy and really tired after eating, also having a neck ache and sneezing within about 5 mins of eating a butter fat bomb :O I agree everyone can tolerate different things, but it was only when I eliminated butter for a period and went back to eating it again that I realised how bad a reaction I get to it.

Wu Wei Wu I think ACV is apple cider vinegar

Any kind of cream has much more casein than butter. Enough to make it stand up and no longer behave like pure fat. An easy way to tell is to simply look at the nutrition info and see how many grams of protein there are for every gram of fat. I don't remember any examples of people who have eliminated cream and then decided to go back to it.

Mildain said:
T.C. said:
Hi Mildain

What's your general diet situation?

I eat basically no carbs (only a few vegetables, some xylitol). No grains, no fruits, and I stay away from starchy vegetables. I eat alot of bacon and try to eat a pork chop or steak each day, but some days i skip the protein and do a day of just fat. I find lately that im getting a huge boost in energy because I started eating alot more raw fat. I drink down about 100-150ml in the morning, and sometimes before bed (I've noticed i sleep better, and can function better the next day if I do this). Im a terrible cook, so on a regular basis I eat :

Bacon
Bacon Fat
Pork Chops, usually 1 a day
Steaks
Eggs
Chicken

I only gag from pure coconut oil and bacon fat / beef tallow / goose fat. So I started taking it with ACV, and boy does it go down easy. No gagging at all !
So far no problems, but i hope im not damaging my gut by doing this. Any thoughts ?

Well it looks like you have the basics of the diet down Mildain. And it will become more varied and experimental as you keep going, on this diet you have to become abit of a better cook to not get bored with the food we eat, but its a work in progress for sure! There are countless ways to spice up meals, even while sticking to keto. It really becomes quite fun trying to ways of making things. But when you start it does seem to be very simple and have lack of creativity when making meals.

The coco oil, beef tallow and goose fat are very strange to the taste. They are so oily and greasy that it knocks alot of people sick thinking about gulping a mouthful down. But as youve said; your feeling the benefits, and thats what counts. If you taste abit of foul fat for 5 minutes, but feel great and full of energy for 5hours then id say its worth the trade until you can find some time to make alterations to consuming fat.

In regards to the Apple Cider Vinegar, it is a very beneficial and tasty food addative. I would suggest getting a raw unpasturised/organic brand, especially if you are consuming quite alot of it. The description should say that it is from 'The Mother', meaning that it is as natural as possible. I currently use a brand called Raw Health:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raw-Health-Organic-Vinegar-Unpasteurised/dp/B004JBRVAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437738823&sr=8-1&keywords=raw+apple+cider+vinegar

Its a really good ingredient to have in the house, as it can be used for an array of things; from a simple tasty 'sauce', to an antibacterial, and even for washing your hair!

http://www.sott.net/article/295111-32-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar

lainey said:
I just read all the comments on this page (linked below) and came to the conclusion that yes they do contain small amounts (same with butter like you said) so it depends on your sensitivity I guess. I react badly to cream but not butter but maybe cream in the UK is different to where you are from? Perhaps I'm thinking about a different kind of cream.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread47026.html

The cream that ive tried here in the UK knocks me sick straight away, and ive found in the past it was very addictive compared to butter. Kind of like a creamy crack or something like milk used to be. Which to me is a very clear sign that its not for me aswell. It feels very hard to digest compared to butter, it is very thick and sloppy on the stomach, too dense.

Thorn said:
Aparently goats milk/butter contains less casein than cows butter . About a month ago I went from strictly no butter(only ghee and tallow) to eating butter again, for about a month now I have been feeling crappy and really tired after eating, also having a neck ache and sneezing within about 5 mins of eating a butter fat bomb :O I agree everyone can tolerate different things, but it was only when I eliminated butter for a period and went back to eating it again that I realised how bad a reaction I get to it.

Ive also cut out butter, for 2 months+, and have recently re-introduced it. But avoid using it for puddings, keeping it to the fat i have on my meat. And not every meal/day. When you re-introduced butter, did you consume it in moderation along side all the other forms of fat? Or did it become the number one fat to eat for energy?
I personally feel alot more clean and straight headed when i fuel myself off direct animal fats, with butter as a side to my food. Maybe you consumed too much too soon, especially with the fat bomb?
But it is always good to test these things, due to different peoples sensitivities! Ive not yet tried goats butter, have you noticed any intolerance to that of cows butter when you have had it (that's if you have :P),

Hi Mildain

Could it be that you have digestive problems with regard to the fat, and the body is trying to stop you eating more than it can handle?

Do you get pain in your right or left side below your ribs after a meal? Shoulder or neck pain? Gas or bloating?
You may need to supplement with a digestive aid, especially an acid as this triggers bile release to digest fat.
This may be why ACV works (it's acidic and promotes bile flow).

Another possibility is you are perhaps sensitive to the types of fat? Coconut oil is inflammatory for a lot of people.

For what it's worth, several people were sensitive to heavy cream, but not butter. It was discussed a few years ago on the Ketogenic Diet thread.

RedFox said:
Hi Mildain

Could it be that you have digestive problems with regard to the fat, and the body is trying to stop you eating more than it can handle?

Do you get pain in your right or left side below your ribs after a meal? Shoulder or neck pain? Gas or bloating?
You may need to supplement with a digestive aid, especially an acid as this triggers bile release to digest fat.
This may be why ACV works (it's acidic and promotes bile flow).

Another possibility is you are perhaps sensitive to the types of fat? Coconut oil is inflammatory for a lot of people.

If this is the case, Ox bile is really good for helping you digest fat. I was struggling digesting it until I took these.

SeekinTruth said:
For what it's worth, several people were sensitive to heavy cream, but not butter. It was discussed a few years ago on the Ketogenic Diet thread.

Yeah you should maybe try to cut that out for a month or so and see how it effects you afterwards. There are many things we don't think we're sensitive to until we cut them out and try again.

Huxley said:
Thorn said:

Ive also cut out butter, for 2 months+, and have recently re-introduced it. But avoid using it for puddings, keeping it to the fat i have on my meat. And not every meal/day. When you re-introduced butter, did you consume it in moderation along side all the other forms of fat? Or did it become the number one fat to eat for energy?
I personally feel alot more clean and straight headed when i fuel myself off direct animal fats, with butter as a side to my food. Maybe you consumed too much too soon, especially with the fat bomb?
But it is always good to test these things, due to different peoples sensitivities! Ive not yet tried goats butter, have you noticed any intolerance to that of cows butter when you have had it (that's if you have :P),

:-[ It pretty much became the main source of fat, I admit I got lazy and just reached for the butter! I think you're right, it was way too much and definitely too soon. Just these few days being off it I feel way better, no neck ache and less phlegm.

I can't say I was looking out for any reactions to the goats butter to be honest, I was trying it for taste really rather than testing it haha. It would be interesting to see if there is any difference though

Back
Top Bottom