2024 New Year's Day - 7.6 earthquake in Japan

I think it important to not jump the gun with sensational stuff that may not be the present reality. (old Fukushima vids) That said, the crow thing is interesting and it should be noted Fukuoka is far south of the quake. So maybe more to come.

Great time to review earthquake predictions from the scary Session 21 January 1995.
  • Sequence of earthquakes to hit Japan (Osaka M8.9, Tokyo M9.6,...).
  • Surrounding areas (China, Korea, Philippines, etc) will be affected by these quakes.
  • Some volcanos are waking up.
  • Quakes in Asia may trigger quakes in California (San Gabriel Mountains M8.9).
  • Destruction will lead to mass exodus from California. Economic impact, people moving east.
  • Hundreds of earthquakes all over the place.
  • Not just earthquakes... storms and hurricanes too!
  • Natural phenomena. Mother Nature gets out of bed. 😉
Q: (T) You predicted a quake in Japan, near Osaka, several sessions back, you were off by the magnitude a little bit and by the miles a little bit, but basically you were correct. What between that prediction and the prediction for the Tokyo quake can Japan expect?
A: Not correct interpretation. Osaka quake yet to be.

Q: (T) So this was not the quake that you predicted the 8.9, this was a 7.2, but it was miles distance from Osaka almost right on the money, but this was not the quake that you predicted? (J) There's going to be another one coming?
A: Yes 14 more this sequence. (?? 14 more this sequence ??)

Q: (T) 14 more quakes? (J) I'm sorry, I'm losing it real bad tonight, I don't know why. {She was referring to her inability to keep up with the speed of delivery.} (D) Are you breaking up? (J) No, it's me. Please repeat the answer. (T) We're having problems down here in 3rd density this evening!
A: SEQUENCE.

Q: (T) This is one in a sequence of earthquakes that are going to culminate in the 8.9?
A: 9 pt 6

Q: (T) In Osaka, near Osaka?
A: Tokyo

Q: Okay, that's the one you talked about, then a 9.6, that's going to be the culmination of the quakes in this. This is only the 3rd or 4th in a sequential series and the 8.9 that's going to hit them hasn't happened yet.
A: 7th.

Q: (T) This is the 7th earthquake?
A: Yes.

Q: (T) 7.2 was the 7th earthquake, there's going to be 14 of them, is that what you said before?

Q: (J) So there's 7 more coming? (T) So the 14th one will be the big one, in Tokyo?
A: 13th.

Q: (T) Okay, the 13th is going to be the 9.6 and I think the other prediction was 9.8, they're close. That'll be the 13th. What will be the 8.9, which one of those will be the Osaka 8.9?
A: Within next 4.(in the sequence?)

Q: (T) What will the 14th be?
A: Small.

Q: (T) So they're going out anticlimactically on the last quake. Is Mt. Fujiyama going to explode, is the volcano going to become active again?
A: Maybe.

Q: (T) Will these quakes, is China, Korea, Philippines and the surrounding area also going to be affected as these quakes increase in strength?

Q: (T) Are we talking about putting about 30% of the world's industrial output out of business in the next year and a half or so?
A: No.

Q: (T) They're not going to recover anytime soon, ok so when this all happens is there going to be an effect on California of all of this, on the West Coast of this country?

Q: (T) Not just California. Is Los Angeles going to be hit with any of these big earthquakes as the plate on the other side moves?

Q: (T) What magnitude?
A: 8.9

Q: (T) Where will that happen?
A: San Gabriel Mountains.

Q: (T) Is that outside of Los Angeles? San Andreas Fault line?

Q: (T) Will this be very destructive to Los Angeles?
A: What do you think?

Q: (T) In the destruction of this area, is this going to increase the job potential on the East Coast, in order to then, this is really serious stuff here, because this is going to affect the economy the way it shifts...

Q: (T) So it...
A: Mass exodus from California.

Q: (T) Those dumb people out there looked at that Osaka stuff and said, "Oh, you know, that might happen to us. OHHH, boy, the brain finally fired up out there. (J) They've been in denial about that out there... (D) Will that bring an influx of people to Florida?
A: Yes. 15 quakes.

Q: (D) And then they're going to move. (T) 15 quakes in the California area?
A: In near future.

Q: (T) Are we talking strictly the West Coast here?
A: California.

Q: (T) Are there going to be earthquakes elsewhere in the United States?

Q: (T) 15 in the near future in California alone... (D) This is the beginning of the destruction of the state of California, there'll be separation from the North American continent. (T) Well, they said don't take that literally, or it will fall off, it's symbolic...
A: Open.

Q: (T) So look at it symbolically. (D) Okay. (J) Where are the other quakes going to be?
A: Hundreds.

Q: (T) Hundreds? Hundreds of earthquakes. Hundreds of places?

Q: There's going to be that many additional earthquakes? Beside the 15 in California?

Q: (T) We're going to be rocking and rolling on this continent! Of course, when you move a plate, that's a lot of stuff. Are we going to be seeing a lot of water damage on the coast?

Q: (T) Is the West Coast of Florida going to see a rising water level?
A: That is vague.

Q: (T) Is there going to be earthquakes in Florida?
A: Seismically stable.

Q: (T) Will the seismic activity cause the water level in Florida to go up?
A: No.

Q: (T) So, for the time being, during the quakes, we'll be fairly safe, but there's other things to worry about beside that?
A: Storms.

Q: (D) are we talking hurricanes?
A: Cyclonic.

Q: (J) Will there be any damage from such storms in this area?

Q: (C) Are these caused by nature? (T) Is all this activity being.. is natural?
A: Close.

X should create a video comparison software and put when the video's are FIRST published. It was impossible to figure out which is the current one and which one is older one. Most of the video are reshared so many times it is hard to know the initial date. I checked who is the real poster for one and found to be some one in Japan. But it looks many others are not from Japan. Even that may not be sufficient.

X should create a video comparison software and put when the video's are FIRST published. It was impossible to figure out which is the current one and which one is older one.
All the tsunami videos in the first post show the tsunami of March 2011.

Still, what a rocky start to 2024!

This report says four people were killed as a direct result of the quake, thousands are in shelters, and tens of thousands more are still without power.

What stands out for me is the date, obviously, but also where it struck: a part of Japan which scientific authorities there estimated had a "0.1% - 3%" chance of experiencing a >6.0 quake "in the next 30 years."

Another FAIL for "the experts."

I had once commented on one of Jason "Jay" R. Patton's tweets about the nature of the sun's ability to cause seismic activity on Earth.
But he just brushed it off as nonsense.

Nevertheless, he does show some interesting facts with charts of the plate interactions between continents and other data that seem relevant to the conversation. PS to modes: He may have a copyright on his material if that makes a difference.

So, I'll show a snip of a very long thread.

Last night (my time) as I was winding down, I heard my phone go ‘tinggggg.’

A few moments later I got up and learned of a M 7.5 earthquake offshore of the west coast of Japan.

This place has had some recent seismicity (largest magnitude M 6.5; Kato, 2023), though I did not write up a report.

This earthquake was a shallow crustal fault earthquake associated with the Noroshi-oki fault.

This fault is a crustal reverse fault (compressional) that dips to the southeast. Kato (2023) plotted seismicity from a previous sequence and I include the plots from their paper below. These plots reveal the orientation of this fault system.

The aftershock pattern (see poster below) suggests that the entire fault slipped during (or shortly before or after) this M 7.5 mainshock.

There was a tsunami generated by this earthquake. Below are plots from the gages that have a clear record of the tsunami.

The nearest gage (Noto) is located very close to the epicenter and the data suggest that the gage has been damaged in some way.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 07-31-42 Earthquake Report M 7.5 in Japan - Jay Patton online.png
Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 07-32-49 Earthquake Report M 7.5 in Japan - Jay Patton online.png
Empirical fault scaling relations are ways that we can compare fault rupture sizes with earthquake magnitudes. One of the most used and well-cited empirical fault scaling relations papers is Wells and Coppersmith, 1994.
  • Wells and Coppersmith developed relations between earthquake magnitude/moment magnitude and surface rupture length, subsurface rupture length, and rupture area. They also consider the difference between mean and maximum displacement measures.
  • The length of fault rupture is the distance that the fault slipped measured parallel to Earth’s surface. When we see fault lines mapped on a map, these lines are representative of the fault length.
  • The width of fault rupture is the distance that the fault slipped measured down into the Earth. For a fault that dips straight down into the Earth (perpendicular to the Earth’s surface), the width of the fault rupture is the distance between the Earth’s surface and the depth where the fault slipped. For faults that dip at an angle (like along a subduction zone, or a reverse/thrust fault like the fault that caused this M 7.5 earthquake), the distance measured is measured along this non-perpendicular distance.
  • The area of fault slip is basically the fault length times the fault width.
  • Here is the USGS fault slip model for the M 7.5 earthquake. The length of the fault slip figure is about 40 kilometers (km) and the width of the fault is about 45 km. The color represents the amount that the fault slipped (in meters) during the earthquake. So, the slip area does not fill this entire area. Most of the slip length is within ~180 km and width is within ~180km. The maximum slip is ~3.7 meters.
    If we look at the spatial extent of aftershocks (which may indicate the slip region of the earthquake), the length is about 150 km. This is slightly shorter than the USGS fault slip model.
20240101_japan_75_slip.png
  • There have been some updates to these scaling relations that attempt to improve these relations. However, Wells and Coppersmith still work pretty well (the updates are not really that much different).
  • There remain certain types of earthquakes where we have small amounts of information to constrain these relations for those types of earthquakes (particularly large magnitude earthquakes, which are more rare than small and medium sized earthquakes). So, there is room for improvement.
Here is a plot from Wells and Coppersmith that shows the data relating magnitude with subsurface rupture length. We can see that there is a positive relation between magnitude and length (as the length is larger, so is the magnitude).
Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 07-35-29 wells_coppersmith_1994_fig_14.ai - wells_coppersmith_1994_fi...png
Continued

Back
Top Bottom