Another Hovering Airplane

lostinself said:
found this on YouTube - high-quality video of a plane hovering over the Ohio river:

http_://www_.youtube.com/watch?v=-PjCFO2noaI
That is a harrier "jump-jet" its designed for vertical take-offs.

Miss Isness said:
(...)is messing with my belief system and making me sick.

I find it tough to see how a one could get that reaction if its wasn't something more to it. I mean, if one sees something that might be this or that, then its treated as something strange, no big deal. But to get physical symptoms by seeing it then I think there might be more to it. Maybe Miss Isness unconscious understood something that the conscious mind didnt want to handle?

lostinself said:
found this on YouTube - high-quality video of a plane hovering over the Ohio river:

It looks like an AV8 Harrier, this British jet conceived in the 70's uses directional jets to hover.

Here is a video of a Harrier landing on USS Bataan

My partner and my son are both gyrocopter pilots/builders and i have an interest in aviation too
to make something fly you need lift and thrust
lift is achieved by air flowing over the wings or blades
thrust comes from the engines and gives you airspeed
airspeed is not the same as ground speed
in a gyro(a cross between a motor bike and a helicopter) with a strong headwind
you seem to fly backwards as seen from the ground --minus groundspeed --- even thou your airspeed is still enough to keep you flying
one of the exercises they do is called a 'engine out' , basically you turn your engine off(no more sound) in midair ,point the nose at the ground to keep up airspeed , and flare just before you hit the ground ,level out and land or do a touch and go(restarting the engine)
the same is theoretical possible for bigger planes and choppers but is usually practiced in simulators but the military with its higher budget(and less concern for human life) may well practice it for real
it also depends on your position relative to the aircraft and the wind direction if you can hear the noise of the engines
i'm not saying you didn't see a ufo or similar but occams razor is useful here

my 2 cents
btw if you ever have the chance to take a helicopter flight take it but beware you may get hooked on aviation too :D

RRR

I'm happy others have had the hovering airplane experience, I thought I was the only one. I have no explanation for what I saw. I was driving near a flight path to a regional airport, I was going one direction and the plane was going the other towards me except offset to the right. It had it's landing gear down and it's nose pointed upwards except It just didn't move. I was driving past at about 50 mph and kept looking over to my right but it didn't get any lower nor did it seem to move. Eventually I had to concentrate back on driving. It was one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Another one here perhaps, the sightseeing happened in the last November's weekend.

A close friend just leaned out of his bedroom window one evening and found what at first appeared like a normal airplane passing by over a narrow portion of sky, as seen by the window of a flat in a very narrow road. It has also white, red and greenish light, so no big deal at first.

But it was very close to the ground, it was just too slow and no noise at all. Very odd indeed as there's no airport in a 70 miles radius here! Never seen a commercial plane passing around.

He looked at it for awhile, and then concluded it was a sort of spaceship.

Then he asked his girlfriend that was there with him that night to have a look. Well, she's was still shocked when I talked with both of them on Monday, and she said she slept very bad too the whole weekend. I know this guy and he knows about ufo's and all that by years, while his girlfriend never read anything about it and she was a firm skeptic...

The shape of the object was like that a black triangle with light at its vertexes.

I do believe that UFO's exist simply because I don't see why they would not. However, I have had a lot of experience with hovering military planes (or drones), which remain still in the night sky. The ones I have seen are small crafts (not miniature therefore they are manned). They usually have a very bright light in the front (like a flood light), which makes it look as though it is a star, a very big and bright star, since you can't see the plane until it leaves and then the lights on the wings light up. If you film these and magnify your lens, you will notice that the light is always flat on top which accounts for the structure of the plane. These planes are surveillance planes which are potentially emitting EM waves, or RF waves.

lostinself said:

Looks like a harrier jet - those have that capability. Unless you were just using this for example.

Fwiw, the one I saw definitely wasn't a Harrier, which has a very distinctive design, osit.

The one I saw was a gunmetal grey colour, and looked like an ordinary passenger plane with out the porthole windows. There was no noise (that I could hear), no lights and no tailplume of smoke.
And it stayed exactly where it was, like the cutout of a plane pasted in the sky, and about the same size as the large models of planes one can see in a travel agent's window.

Seems to me that there are different hovering planes out there, as we all seem to be seeing different shapes and designs. Either that, or different images are being projected into our minds...

Andrew said:
Looks like a harrier jet - those have that capability. Unless you were just using this for example.

actually i didn't know currently used jets are capable of performing such maneuvers, at least to the degree presented on the video. now, after three forum members pointed out that some harriers can hover this way, i think i can accept such possibility ;-)

bedower said:
Fwiw, the one I saw definitely wasn't a Harrier, which has a very distinctive design, osit.

The one I saw was a gunmetal grey colour, and looked like an ordinary passenger plane with out the porthole windows. There was no noise (that I could hear), no lights and no tailplume of smoke.
And it stayed exactly where it was, like the cutout of a plane pasted in the sky, and about the same size as the large models of planes one can see in a travel agent's window.

Seems to me that there are different hovering planes out there, as we all seem to be seeing different shapes and designs. Either that, or different images are being projected into our minds...

Bedower,

I agree with you as I have seen many different types as well. Try looking at the night sky to see if you see unusually large bright stars. If you try to get a close up of the said light, check if it is flat on top. If so, you may want to check it until it leaves. The ones I have seen stay put for up to 6 hours and then leave. That's when you see the wing lights light up but prior to that, you could assume it's just a star. I guess if they are surveillance crafts, that's the whole point. What I can't figure is who is paying for this type of operation over Canadian territory...I mean we are at peace aren't we?

Hi, Amy B,

Thanks for that, :) and I shall follow through your suggestion about bright stars that appear suddenly in the sky. However, there's always the possiblility that these 'stars' could be satellites, which would still be 'observing', osit.

What I can't figure is who is paying for this type of operation over Canadian territory...I mean we are at peace aren't we?

Are you guessing at who might be paying for this, if it could be said that someone is paying? Otherwise, why link your musing with Canada being 'at peace'. I'm honestly just curious about your line of thinking here.

Also, slightly off-topic, if you are a Canadian, which you seem to be by your post, your government has joined the Bush/Blair/Brown 'War of Terror'. Canadian troops are helping to fight this 'war' in Afghanistan and Iraq, on the ground and in the air. So technically, no, Canada is not 'at peace', it is a country at war. As is Britain, much to my shame!

Bedower,

Of course I realize that Canada is at war overseas...but thank you for that. I also realize that satellites hover about in space however as mentioned these particular lights are attached to planes with wing lights, flying low enough to make them clearly visible once they leave their spot. These are military surveillance planes flying over either Canada or the US not over Irak or Afghanistan for which military budgets are allotted. So I think my question to the point when I ask from what budget is Canada or the US taking these funds to have planes masquerading as stars in the night sky over their own territory and citizens??...especially in light of the fact that, as mentioned by yourself, satellites are already doing that job higher up above!

AmyB

Today, October 7, 2009, at about 10:48, my wife and I were north driving along 32nd Avenue NE, near Barlow Trail, in Calgary, Alberta, when we - first I, then she also - saw a plane that appeared to be hovering in the sky. It was to our right, pointing south, and its profile was such that we could see the whole length of it. It seemed like a commercial airplane, with gray-blue colours, but no particular logo on it - even though it was big enough and close enough that we could have seen one if there was one.

It did not move at all, and for at least one minute I saw it stay in the same spot, as we drove on. I must mention again that it was pointing south, while we were travelling north, so I do not think that this was due in any way to our driving at about the same speed parallel to it. Again, recall that we were driving in the opposite direction from its supposed direction of flight.

After a minute or so of my observing it, and pointing it out to my wife, she also saw it, for an elapsed interval of at least 10 seconds, in-between trying to drive safely. She was also convinced that it was not moving. I did not hear any sound from it either. I do not think that the fact that we were in a car had all that much to do with hearing no sound from it, by the way, because, that close, we would have heard something.

Now, the area where we saw this airplane is close to Calgary airport, alright, but definitely not along any of the approach or takeoff paths that commercial planes take to or from the Calgary airport. I know, because I have often observed these planes' paths in NE Calgary close to my former college, as well as close to my residence.

I do not know what this was, or what it was all about, but my wife's research into the possibilities seem to be leading to something about waiting for air traffic control by balancing certain aerodynamic forces. Well, I tried to explain to my wife (and I do have some considerable university-level knowledge of physics and mathematics) that: some force would need to be balancing the force of gravity in order for the plane to stay up in the sky; that if the explanation (she was being given in some websites) that the horizontal forces were being balanced out were to be considered, then we would not have a net horizontal motion to help keep the plane from falling.

Right now, I am certain that what we saw has not yet been explained, and I want technical - I mean, really technical, though simple English - explanations that would rule out this conclusion.

Meanwhile, I am also considering having someone (or myself, who knows) search the catalogue of planes that took off or landed at Calgary airport within the relevant time frame, to see if any of them fit the description reasonably closely - and if they followed any flight path that included that spot (to within one kilometre, even) and at that time (even to within ten minutes). In this connection, I must say that the visual descriptions of the plane that I saw very much match the descriptions given by others on this forum: dull gray blue.

Thanks for the opportunity to post this information. I hope to follow it up with any technical information that I come up with to help explain the phenomenon (if it is explainable). Finally, I wish to state that everything I have said here is as I remember it, and I am willing to repeat this under oath - if I am permitted to say so, here.

Hi Toth,

Welcome to the forum. Could you please write a brief intro in the Newbies section? Read through the thread to get an idea. Thanks. :)

I have found this website that sheds more light on how airplanes stay aloft in the air:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/lift1.html

Here are some sample paragraphs:

"Lift is the force that directly opposes the weight of an airplane and holds the airplane in the air. Lift is generated by every part of the airplane, but most of the lift on a normal airliner is generated by the wings. Lift is a mechanical aerodynamic force produced by the motion of the airplane through the air. Because lift is a force, it is a vector quantity, having both a magnitude and a direction associated with it. Lift acts through the center of pressure of the object and is directed perpendicular to the flow direction. There are several factors which affect the magnitude of lift."

...and...

"NO MOTION, NO LIFT

Lift is generated by the difference in velocity between the solid object and the fluid. There must be motion between the object and the fluid: no motion, no lift. It makes no difference whether the object moves through a static fluid, or the fluid moves past a static solid object. Lift acts perpendicular to the motion. Drag acts in the direction opposed to the motion."

I hope this helps. If interested, you may check out the link.

Back
Top Bottom