Chinese Foreign Policy and Other International Things

Chu said:
Wu Wei Wu said:
I trust you realize that the Tianxia system of hegemony, though much softer, was by no a friendly policy. The Chinese have had no reservations about smashing foreign cultures into submission historically via genocide and assimilation especially. That's the reason the Han Chinese occupy such a large territory.

I have a somehow different take on this based on what I was able to experience when living in China for a year. I was in Chengdu (Sichuan), but traveled quite a bit around the YunNan Province, and the Northern regions of Sichuan, which is said to be more Tibetan than Tibet (around the Jiuzhaigou park, lots of Tibetan villages). Well, what I found was many ethnic groups, all living in fairly good conditions, allowed to speak their own dialects, and with the same rights as the Han. At the University where I was teaching, it was the same. There was no "Han domination" as it is often described.

[...]

But in terms of the global picture, I don't see China being the Evil player that it is often said to be, and see no reason for that country to have a say in a more multipolar world, instead of the pathological Empire what we have nowadays.

Wu Wei Wu, in the bolded statement above, I would replace the word Chinese with British Crown imperialism to better reflect the true history of the Chinese. When viewing "History" you need to look behind the main players and the possible "forces" behind them, that might be dominating culture and economics. History - of All Nations - has been rewritten, several times over, to reflect the personal agenda of a select few. It's important, to look further and deeper, than the standard text books.

British Imperialism in China A legacy of Commerce, Addiction, and Gunboat diplomacy
http://blogs.bu.edu/guidedhistory/moderneurope/tao-he/

The primary motive of British imperialism in China in the nineteenth century was economic. There was a high demand for Chinese tea, silk and porcelain in the British market. However, Britain did not possess sufficient silver to trade with the Qing Empire. Thus, a system of barter based on Indian opium was created to bridge this problem of payment. The subsequent exponential increase of opium in China between 1790 and 1832 brought about a generation of addicts and social instability. Clashes between the Qing government and British merchants ultimately escalated into the infamous Opium Wars. As a result, the British were given the island of Hong Kong and trading rights in the ports of Canton and Shanghai. Although British imperialism never politically took hold in mainland China, as it did in India or Africa, its cultural and political legacy is still evident today. Honk Kong remains a significant center of global finance and its government still functioned in much of the same ways as it did under British colonialism. Furthermore, the language of English and British culture highly impacted the society of Hong Kong and Southern China for over a century.

This Research Guide is divided into four main components. The first section is devoted to the definitions and qualifications of imperialism. This part mainly consists of print sources that focus on the political, economic and social mechanisms of imperialism. It provides scholarly perspectives and criticisms regarding its causes and effects. The second section consists of both print and interactive sources. This focuses on the topic of British Imperialism in China from a British perspective. The sources include various political justifications and financial factors that influence Britain’s diplomatic decisions and imperialist tactics. The third section presents the Chinese perspective. The sources in this section explain the development of Chinese nationalism and the intricacies of international relations in the Qing court. The final section deals with the legacy of British imperialism in Hong Kong and southern China. The sources here examine the cultural and political footprint of the British in this region.

Wu Wei Wu, the remainder of the article may enhance your understanding of the Hans dynasty?

In view of Chu's statement, "At the University where I was teaching" - you have my deep admiration. I'm personally aware, Chinese Universities require top notch Prudential's - just to get on a list - in any teaching position. I was fortunate to meet the family of the only Valedictorian in my youngest Son's University Graduation Ceremony. Their Daughter delivered the valedictory address. Her family was Chinese and had been living in the U.S. for the last 11-12 years, due to the Father's job and position. The Contract that he had been working under was near completion and the family were making arrangements to go back home - to China. In anticipation, the Daughter had applied at several Universities - only to be informed - she needed "more credits" for entry level teaching in Economics. So, even though she qualified for a teaching position here, when they got back to China, she would have to go back to university study to qualify for a position. China's educational standards are proportionally higher than the United States. Very much - so! China has been preparing it's younger generations to be instrumental in bringing about "a multipolar world".

Top 10 best performing education systems in the world
http://www.china.org.cn/top10/2013-12/24/content_30954768.htm

Recent international tests by OECD (the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) have revealed that Shanghai in China has the top education system in the world.

The PISA tests - the Program for International Student Assessment - investigates and compares the performance of schools and education systems worldwide by assessing 15-year-old students in three main subjects – mathematics, reading and science.

As one of the most influential rankings in international education, the assessments are held every three years, and each round places a special focus on one of the key subjects: in 2012, the 5th survey, it was mathematics.

China didn’t participate in the test as a whole country; instead, it was represented by some high-performing cities such as Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Shanghai outperformed 64 other countries and cities in all three subjects, with average scores of 613 in mathematics, 570 in reading and 580 in science, while the OECD average scores are 494, 496 and 501 respectively. Its math score was the equivalent of three years' schooling above the average.

The other top places were dominated by the school systems in Asian economies including Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.

Around 510,000 students between the ages of 15 years 3 months and 16 years 2 months participated in the assessment, representing about 28 million 15-year-olds globally.

The following are the top 10 economies for student performance - as of 2013. In 2015 - Russia was entered into 8th place.
#10 - Netherlands
#9 - Switzerland
#8 - Liechtenstein
#7 - Japan
#6 - Macao, China
#5 - South Korea
#4 - Taipei, China
#3 - Hong Kong, China
#2 - Singapore
#1 - Shanghai, China

Joe said:
Wu Wei Wu said:
The idea that global hegemony is particular to Europeans is, I think, pretty silly. Especially considering the Mongols, the Caliphates, and the Ottomans.

Neither the Mongols the caliphates or the ottomans ruled over the entire globe. Far from it. That dubious distinction is held by modern era Europeans and their descendants in the USA and Israel, who do indeed control the vast majority of the globe and its population. You might say that this is merely chance, and were the Chinese or others in the same position today, it would be no different. But we'll never know that, and we deal with what we know. The Anglo-Americans are today the stewards of the global evil empire.

Sure, the evil empire today is Anglo-American. That's right. And yes, it's the largest in our recorded history. That's right too. The other empires are examples of states that took as much as they could grab.

And that's what we're really talking about, aren't we? Not 'global hegemony' in particular, but the thirst to dominate all things one perceives. This hunger characterized Rome, China, Mongolia, the British Empire, and now the USA. It also characterized the Zulu Kings, even though they had little conception of how big the world around them was.

That's why I'm not in favor of singling out Europeans. I don't think it's chance either, but this desire for hegemony, in whatever environment they exist, is common to all pathological states. Why certain groups and not others won out in this sordid struggle is a different question.

Wu Wei Wu, in the bolded statement above, I would replace the word Chinese with British Crown imperialism to better reflect the true history of the Chinese. When viewing "History" you need to look behind the main players and the possible "forces" behind them, that might be dominating culture and economics. History - of All Nations - has been rewritten, several times over, to reflect the personal agenda of a select few. It's important, to look further and deeper, than the standard text books.

Yes, I'm aware of the history of the British in China. There were pathological merchants with the biggest guns. A dangerous combo.

That doesn't absolve the Chinese from their historical acts, nor their neighbors of their acts against them.

History is not a dichotomy. Just because I don't like the pathological USA doesn't mean I should be blind to the destructive characteristics of other nations. The violence of Chinese history is one thing. The enormous corruption that remains in Russia today is another. The degeneracy that is infecting the Iranian elite youth is a third. I could go on with examples from every nation.

That doesn't belittle their virtues, but nations are like people. If you look only through the lens of good or bad you lose access to the character of the whole.

That Satan looms nearby does not diminish the dangers from lesser devils. That a bear stalks the grounds doesn't mean a pack of smaller wolves is less dangerous.

But yeah, I hope no one assumes I'm ignorant of Anglo-Imperialist history. Let's keep our eyes open when discussing geopolitics.

Also, those education numbers are really interesting. If you want to explore more, I suggest looking at the IQ data relative to those places. I think it's less the education system (after all, if it was just that why wouldn't Xi'an or Chongqing score the same as Shanghai?) and more that those areas are IQ hubs that have attracted and continue to attract the brightest of China for generations. The result has been a eugenic effect. Intelligence, Money, and Education all feed each other resulting in this positive cycle of increasing prosperity and intelligence.

You need only compare relative IQ in Shanghai or neighboring Jiangsu with scores from Yunnan or Guangxi, though those scores are still high.

Probably no surprise that these same areas are historically high volume trade zones: River deltas or chokepoints, like Singapore. Taiwan is the exception, being settled en masse by the Kuomintang very recently.

That's what I think anyways. The data is pretty interesting.

Wu Wei Wu said:
That's why I'm not in favor of singling out Europeans. I don't think it's chance either, but this desire for hegemony, in whatever environment they exist, is common to all pathological states. Why certain groups and not others won out in this sordid struggle is a different question.

I don't think it is a different question. Because the answe to it leads to the core of the problem. Psychopathy and ponerization. The question then becomes, do some genes "select" for psychopaths more than others? And if so, would that not have an effect on the predatory nature of certain "races" that ruled at certain periods, and the way in which they did. And does that not then allow for a qualitative judgment to be made.

Joe said:
Wu Wei Wu said:

I don't think it is a different question. Because the answe to it leads to the core of the problem. Psychopathy and ponerization. The question then becomes, do some genes "select" for psychopaths more than others? And if so, would that not have an effect of the predatory nature of certain "races" that ruled at certain periods, and the way in which they did. And does that not then allow for a qualitative judgment to be made.

I definitely think there is a relationship.

Some research on this has already been done though. See the attached documents.

It appears that IQ is inversely associated with psychopathic traits. No surprise there. But it also appears there are other factors at play too.

I get the feeling that the races you're referring to are the Anglos and the Israelis though, am I right?

Attachments

• psychopaths lynn.pdf
    257.3 KB · Views: 1
  • psychopaths reply lynn.pdf
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
Wu Wei Wu said:
I definitely think there is a relationship.

Some research on this has already been done though. See the attached documents.

It appears that IQ is inversely associated with psychopathic traits. No surprise there. But it also appears there are other factors at play too.

I get the feeling that the races you're referring to are the Anglos and the Israelis though, am I right?

Don't know for sure. I think it may have been referred to in a Cs session at one point. But "but their fruits you shall know them" goes a long way. You really need to have a good understanding of the extent of the influence the anglo-American establishment have had on the world over the course of the last 300 years or so. I really don't think it's a coincidence or accident that they are the ones that happen to be at the helm as the world goes down the toilet, with them blindly urging it on. I also don't think it's simply a matter of obvious strategy (simply because they are not on top) that the Russians and Chinese are, to a large extent, taking an adversarial stance to the Western empire. Or to put it another way, I don't think the leadership of those nations can take an opposing stance without some of the values that must inform that stance being or becoming real for them.

Joe said:
Wu Wei Wu said:
The idea that global hegemony is particular to Europeans is, I think, pretty silly. Especially considering the Mongols, the Caliphates, and the Ottomans.

Neither the Mongols the caliphates or the ottomans ruled over the entire globe. Far from it. That dubious distinction is held by modern era Europeans and their descendants in the USA and Israel, who do indeed control the vast majority of the globe and its population. You might say that this is merely chance, and were the Chinese or others in the same position today, it would be no different. But we'll never know that, and we deal with what we know. The Anglo-Americans are today the stewards of the global evil empire.

I wouldn't say it was merely chance. Humans of many different cultures have all engaged in war and conquest throughout history. (Humans of vastly similar cultures have fought each other too - all it takes is one tiny difference of alignment and that is enough to form sides and battle each other, like competing football team fans.) In the case of European colonial subjugation of other parts of the world, which has led to today's Anglo-American dominance, I think that the more advanced military technology of the Europeans compared with that of the areas they were colonizing is a big factor, along with systems of political rule based on Empire building. Military technology and empire building philosophies of conquest are a cultural development, with origins in the Roman empire and the growth of scientific thought in Europe in the 17th -18th century "Enlightenment".

I think it could be problematic to see this warmongering, wetiko Anglo-American empire as being caused by intrinsic (genetic?) features of the white, European races, rather than the contingency of the European culture developing more effective military technologies first. In pre-European New Zealand, the Maori were also a warrior culture. They did not think of themselves as one united nation, but of many different tribes ("Iwi" in Maori), who were often at war with each other. With European culture's contact with Maori in the early 19th century, one result was a great willingness of Maori to trade with Europeans in order to obtain muskets. A kind of arms-race went on among the Maori tribes, in which the tribes to first acquire muskets would defeat other tribes that hadn't yet acquired this superior technology. This period is known as the "Musket wars". ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket_Wars )

Wu Wei Wu said:
Keep in mind that for all intents and purposes China, like Europe, considered the world over which they had hegemony the only world that mattered. The idea that global hegemony is particular to Europeans is, I think, pretty silly. Especially considering the Mongols, the Caliphates, and the Ottomans.

Well, Janey L. Abu-Lughod, professor of sociology and historical studies and author of Before European Hegemony: The World System AD 1250-1350, would disagree with you. She makes the case that there was no global hegemon until the western Europeans began conquering the seas about 500 years ago. Prior to that, both the Chinese and Islamic worlds were highly developed but cooperative, not antagonistic, while Europe was still climbing out of the post-Roman empire Dark Age. In citing the Mongols, Caliphates and Ottomans, you're conflating regional dominance with what we have today - global hegemony, one center of power. As far as we know, there hasn't been anything like this since Atlantis.

Wu Wei Wu said:
As they learned of new cultures, with the expansion of the Silk road and the sea voyages of Zheng He, they attempted to spread their Tianxia there too. Consider the demand for tribute and subordination in throughout south east Asia by Zheng He. Later dynasties, like the Manchu Qing, were particularly flagrant about this.

That's regional politics, incomparable to a situation where an alien culture from the opposite end of the 'world island' (Eurasia), 10,000 miles away on the far Western shores of the European peninsula, comes and says, "Trade with us or we'll burn everyone alive," then proceeds to burn everyone alive anyway and just steal everything instead. This practice was pretty much unheard of until certain Europeans landed on distant shores.

Wu Wei Wu said:
Tibet, for example, was conquered by the Qing, as was modern day Xinjiang. Neither of these areas are Chinese at all, but both have a multitude of Chinese settlers now. This tension is what makes them useful for American proxy terrorists.

WWW, these places were conquered almost 1,000 years ago. Tibet has been part of China (on and off, but mostly on) since before your country even existed! Tibet is still very much a cultural entity. But where is the Native American culture today? Is it reasonable for me to conjecture that neither of the Americas are European at all? It is what it is! Now, what can that tell us?

Wu Wei Wu said:
Reading the work of some China hawks, I'm not certain what a future dominated by China would look like. It probably wouldn't be good.

We'll probably never know because the global hegemon will have swallowed most everything into the black hole with it, but FWIW, my opinion on that is opposite; it probably would be good. With an emphasis on trade and integration rather than stealing and subjugation, a world 'ruled by' China would be a return to a non-hegemonic global order.

By the way, which 'China hawks' have you been reading?

Wu Wei Wu said:
As bad as the flagrantly violent Americans? Probably not. But why pretend that the CCP are the good guys, just because the Americans are so much worse.

We're not pretending; we're going by their track record. Countries invaded, or foreign governments overthrown: nil. If the CCP is the most evil manifestation of Chinese-ness, then they are saintly next to their Western counterparts.

Wu Wei Wu said:
On a side note Niall, I hope you don't think the desire to control is limited to Europeans.

Of course not, but the point here is that comparing European/British/'Anglo-American'/'Western' control issues with Chinese ones is like comparing two different species of animals. They are so qualitatively different that you need two different terms or descriptions to define each. There are no, nor have their ever been, Chinese colonies on other continents.

Wu Wei Wu said:
Modern China has taken huge steps to support minority cultures insofar as it suits the interest of the PRC.

I might suggest that that's because the interests of the PRC are antithetical to the interests of the (Western) globalists, but I admit to not yet having enough data to seriously propose that.

Wu Wei Wu said:
Historically China has engaged in a policy of either slow or fast genocide. Consider that the Miao were much larger historically than they are now, the Xiongnu have been either exterminated or assimilated into China (along with other turkic populations), the Manchus were forced underground following the Xinhai Revolution, and so much more.

Whether this is good or bad is up to us to decide. The Chinese have all but exterminated Manchu culture, but there's no doubt that they're a more sophisticated civilization anyways.

Certainly all this happened, but can it be simplified to 'historical Chinese policy'? You've listed a multiplicity of ethnicities, spanning several eras, as if one monolithic entity has been in charge throughout! Who or what is 'Chinese' today is not necessarily who or what is 'Chinese' tomorrow.

You might dismiss this as propaganda, but have you considered reading the CCP's take on 'comparative hegemony'?
http://www.amazon.com/The-China-Dream-Strategic-Post-American/dp/1627741402

Wu Wei Wu said:
But that doesn't change the fact that a major foreign policy tool of China historically was genocide.

Where, and when?

Wu Wei Wu said:
Today China assimilates, and so the nation is more stable and more prosperous, and I'm happy to see that. Still, we should know our history before believing in the CCP.

What books on Chinese history would you recommend?

Wu Wei Wu said:
I personally enjoy the study of China and the sophistication of their culture. I grew up reading 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms', 'The Red Dream Chamber', Confucian's 'Analects' and Daoist material. I grew up around this culture and with Chinese people. I learned this is not an altruistic culture, nor are the Han as altruistic as European peoples, and if we expect them to act as such we will be very surprised.

Europeans more altruistic than other cultures? May I suggest that you're seeing what you want to see!

Wu Wei Wu said:
Anyways, I'm not responding because I want my article on SOTT, the article is now out of date. I just figured that since we're throwing this all out there, maybe we'll help each other by sharing what we know. I, for example, found Chu's comments about Chinese universities very interesting. Thank you for your insights.

You should check out this thread, where some more has been thrown out.

Mal7 said:
In the case of European colonial subjugation of other parts of the world, which has led to today's Anglo-American dominance, I think that the more advanced military technology of the Europeans compared with that of the areas they were colonizing is a big factor, along with systems of political rule based on Empire building. Military technology and empire building philosophies of conquest are a cultural development, with origins in the Roman empire and the growth of scientific thought in Europe in the 17th -18th century "Enlightenment".

I think it could be problematic to see this warmongering, wetiko Anglo-American empire as being caused by intrinsic (genetic?) features of the white, European races, rather than the contingency of the European culture developing more effective military technologies first.

Which came first; the military tech, or some predisposition to develop and use military tech (and on a whole other level)?

The Europeans who began the global hegemonic process in the medieval period were far less developed, in every respect, than their Muslim and Chinese contemporaries. Heck, the first Crusaders didn't even know what was out there until they began their quest to 'take back the Holy Land for Jesus' and 'civilize the infidels' (who were far more civilized than they)!

Niall said:
Which came first; the military tech, or some predisposition to develop and use military tech (and on a whole other level)?
My suggestion is I think that the predisposition to conquest may be there in humanity in general. The predisposition for conquest was exhibited by the Mongols in the 13th century, who were the dominant military power at the time, and subjugated China and Tibet. If the Mongols had had aircraft carriers instead of horses, they might have extended their empire building to the tip of South America?

Joe said:
Or to put it another way, I don't think the leadership of those nations can take an opposing stance without some of the values that must inform that stance being or becoming real for them.

Fully agree Joe.

I think if we want to look back in history and judge nations it is not so black and white. There were always pathological types committing atrocities or inciting others to commit vile acts in many nations states - and these can be easily misconstrued, or misinterpreted unless you were there in the inner circles of power during the past events. Hence in reality history is mostly a "grey area" in my opinion; especially for a nation like China which has had a long and complex history.

They key point, would be to look at what their current actions are now; under the leadership of Xi, China is now setting the backbone for a multipolar world. Working together strongly with Putin and Russia, they are spearheading Eurasian integration, strengthening BRICs and SCO, and on the economic front creating viable financial alternatives to the dollar. Together their combined military might is what is keeping the Empire on their toes, and from completely terrorising the world from wars. These are current facts - and i don't think China is doing it because they want to be a world hegemony. I would go so far as to think, that were it not for China and Russia today - we would have ISIS type psycho's in many parts of the world now rampaging away; and the cleansing would be fast upon us.

Having lived and worked in China now for 7 years; i have very similar views to Chu. Similarly i have travelled to northern Sichuan and spent some time in the Tibetan majority areas in Jiuzhaigou area and from my observations they too are contented with their current state, and quite free to practice their culture and unique living. Further, if i recall correctly these districts within Sichuan are designated officially as Autonomous districts with Tibetans as the main cultural group. Hence they are given leadership roles politically, and the Tibetan language is used jointly with Mandarin in all government documents and dealings. Similar Autonomous districts and provinces exist in China with the same rights and protection for minorities; and the major ones are Tibet, Xinjiang, and Inner Mongolia.

Hence, once again, based on the actions and decisions of the present day; China under Xi gets my full respect for "doing the right thing" fwiw.

I think it's difficult to talk about genetic factors as the history human populations is a mess. Population migration, admixtures, especially during cataclysmic events, are hard to follow. I often check this excellent blog on human genetics research _http://dienekes.blogspot.cl/ and it goes all over the place. That some characteristics are passed down and reinforced throughout certain elite dynasties is very possible, as well as the reinforcement of these characteristics within an isolated population generation after generation. If one thinks for example of the witch hunt, what would be the general psychology of the population if certain abilities were not eliminated from the gene pool? As for the anglo-saxon world en general, the effect of genetic is probably less than the ideological factor, which was more ponerised than elsewhere due to historical reasons. It doesn't mean that it didn"t happen elsewhere at all, but there are different degrees as in everything. However, about the mongols example, things may have been much more complex (and far more interesting) than usually believed: http://cassiopaea.org/2012/02/23/jupiter-nostradamus-edgar-cayce-and-the-return-of-the-mongols/ , it may hold some clues to what is happening today.

Based on the current balance (or imbalance) of power in the world, it seems reasonable to conclude that the "anglo-saxons" (or British) that colonized the USA carried a significant psychopathic profile in their genetics. The way in which the USA as a nation and government has developed and structured appears to have selected for psychopathy, creating a pathocracy that does not exist elsewhere to the same extent, with the exception perhaps of the 'motherland' i.e. the UK or more specifically England, or even more specifically, London.

The genetic problem is, as you say, mkrnhr, almost impossible to sort out, but I think we can still assign probabilities based on where the power center is and the way that it projects that power.

Niall said:
Well, Janey L. Abu-Lughod, professor of sociology and historical studies and author of Before European Hegemony: The World System AD 1250-1350, would disagree with you. She makes the case that there was no global hegemon until the western Europeans began conquering the seas about 500 years ago. Prior to that, both the Chinese and Islamic worlds were highly developed but cooperative, not antagonistic, while Europe was still climbing out of the post-Roman empire Dark Age.

This documentary comes to mind:

https://youtu.be/PM8HnvuKbAo?rel=0

Wow! We've kicked off quite a discussion. I'm not going to respond to everything right now, but I'm going to try and respond to parts I think are important.

I think it may have been referred to in a Cs session at one point.

It was. I remember it being in the double digits, percentage wise. Exceptionally high. Another session mentioned the historical high was in Dutch traders in Amsterdam, also in double digit percentages.

Or to put it another way, I don't think the leadership of those nations can take an opposing stance without some of the values that must inform that stance being or becoming real for them.

I 100% agree with this. Russia, by virtue of it's stance against America, has hastened its transformation into an actual anti-thesis. There are so many examples of this. I hope this process continues but absent of a powerful outside force, it's hard to tell if it will. I'd love to see the small, good developments in Russia and China explode in scope.

Prior to that, both the Chinese and Islamic worlds were highly developed but cooperative, not antagonistic, while Europe was still climbing out of the post-Roman empire Dark Age. In citing the Mongols, Caliphates and Ottomans, you're conflating regional dominance with what we have today - global hegemony, one center of power. As far as we know, there hasn't been anything like this since Atlantis.

I definitely concur that the Sino/Islamic worlds were developed, but I don't think I'd call them cooperative. Definitely not cooperative.

China in particular was not. Anyone who studies Chinese history sees that it is filled with conflict, internal and external, defensive and offensive.

Nor were the Caliphates. Both the Ummayads and the Ottomans engaged in rapid and aggressive expansions of territory, and not because they needed to. Did the Ummayads need to invade Iberia to secure themselves? Did the Ottomans need to claim Tunisia, or strike Vienna to maintain their position?

These states may not have had access to European exploration technology but they certainly sought as much dominance as they could take.

That's regional politics, incomparable to a situation where an alien culture from the opposite end of the 'world island' (Eurasia), 10,000 miles away on the far Western shores of the European peninsula, comes and says, "Trade with us or we'll burn everyone alive," then proceeds to burn everyone alive anyway and just steal everything instead. This practice was pretty much unheard of until certain Europeans landed on distant shores.

No, that's basically what the Mongols did everywhere. And the Turks. And various other steppe nomads. Except be 'trade' they meant 'tribute'. See Timurid. Also see how the Turks ethnically cleansed the Greeks out of Anatolia, year after year.

If you want a naval example, the Wokou were a pretty destructive bunch, but those were more East Asians invading other East Asians.

WWW, these places were conquered almost 1,000 years ago. Tibet has been part of China (on and off, but mostly on) since before your country even existed! Tibet is still very much a cultural entity. But where is the Native American culture today? Is it reasonable for me to conjecture that neither of the Americas are European at all? It is what it is! Now, what can that tell us?

Niall, your writing makes it seem like you've been offended, or 'triggered' as they say these days. My clue is that you probably didn't know what country I'm from, and it's not relevant. I don't know this for certain, it just seems like fearsome writing, and I think you'd rather us both learn from this than one cow the other into submission.

Now let's talk about this. Tibet has not been part of China for 1000 years. That's a misunderstanding of history.

Just because Kublai Khan formed the Yuan dynasty (a very short lived dynasty, at that) doesn't mean Tibet is Chinese. Tibet was conquered by Mongols. You wouldn't say that Korea is part of China too, or Vladivostock, even though both were also owned at one time by the Mongol Yuan dynasty.

I'll put aside the point about my country, whatever that means.

Let's talk about Native American culture. Lots of it exists, though it doesn't span the land it once did. No one's trying to belittle NA suffering, although the same example could be applied to the Manchus, whose culture is all but lost at this stage.

By the way, which 'China hawks' have you been reading?

I don't read as much as I used too, but I like to read foreign policy from China every now and again, and the occasional financial article.
To get the pulse on the CCP, I prefer the People's Daily and Xinhua because they are exact about what they say and why. These papers double as propaganda outlets, so they often have hawkish sentiments.

We're not pretending; we're going by their track record. Countries invaded, or foreign governments overthrown: nil. If the CCP is the most evil manifestation of Chinese-ness, then they are saintly next to their Western counterparts.

Niall, please don't get caught in the trap of the false dichotomy. Rest assured, the Chinese have more evil manifestations to their name. Or have you forgotten the consequences of the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution? Tens of millions dying from hubris and the will of a few to make reality their twisted vision.

As for countries invaded, it seems to me that you don't know Chinese history. Countries invaded, by the CCP alone (not including other Chinese parties):

Manchuko/Manchuria (as a result of WW2, I'm aware)
Kuomintang China (That the Kuomintang could have maintained a rump state, like the various Wu dynasties, was never in doubt)
Vietnam (China and Vietnam continue to have a tense relationship. Undoubtedly, had the Vietnamese been weaker opponents, the Chinese could have continued on to Hanoi)
Tibet (Tibet had been de facto independent for decades, as had Turkestan under their own Warlords. The CCP crushed this government and forced into exile)
India (China launched the invasion into Ladakh, not the other way around)

We could even include the USSR (during the tension between the two, the Chinese launched their own attacks on Soviet Units) or the countries of the South China Sea (who consider China's attempts to seize marine territory to be shameless and aggressive, which it is). We could probably include the Korean war too, as the Chinese pushed well into South Korea.

Whether they had Causus Belli for their actions is irrelevant. The modern CCP is no stranger to invading foreign countries, though thankfully they have been much more responsible about their use of force. But perhaps it was also a lack of opportunity? Hard to say.

They are so qualitatively different that you need two different terms or descriptions to define each. There are no, nor have their ever been, Chinese colonies on other continents.

Let's talk colonists. Are you aware of the role and power played by Chinese emigrants as colonists throughout South East Asia? Much like how most of Latin America is run primarily by European descended colonists, the Chinese colonists in many countries have enormous influence. Singapore is the obvious answer, but you can also look at Malaysia, the Phillipines, Thailand, and Indonesia.

I definitely agree that they are qualitatively different, but not to the degree that you do. It's easy to think Asians are so much more peaceful and cooperative, but history shows them to be as if not more violent that Europeans were. It was simply done in a different way, peculiar to their character.

Also on the colonies on other continents, some suggest there used to a Chinese colony on the West coast of North America. Chinese relics have also been found as far as East Africa for certain, although that could also have been the result of Zheng He's voyages.

Certainly all this happened, but can it be simplified to 'historical Chinese policy'? You've listed a multiplicity of ethnicities, spanning several eras, as if one monolithic entity has been in charge throughout! Who or what is 'Chinese' today is not necessarily who or what is 'Chinese' tomorrow.

Yes, it can. It seems to me that you have not studied China in depth.

Are you familiar with the Chinese literary classics, especially those concerning war? Things like Sun Tzu's Art of War, the Spring and Summer Annals, The Six Secret Teachings, and the Wei Laiozi. Historical Chinese policy is, if one thing, sophisticated and consistent in its application.

The same tactics used on the Xiongnu by the Han were used against the Eastern Turks by the Tang, as well as others. The Chinese have had the same historical problems again and again.

Where, and when?

Historically, against the Wu people (who were once more like the Miao) and have long been thoroughly assimilated into the Han. This is documented in the Qin's domination of early China, especially their invasion of the Chu state.
The Manchus are a recent example. After running the Qing dynasty for hundreds of years, they were all but outbred and what few remained were violently attacked during the fall of the Qing. Apparently some vestiges of Manchu culture survive, but not a lot.
The biggest example of ongoing genocide would probably be in Xinjiang, or East Turkestan. Again, it's with the classic Chinese method of simply migrating en masse to a place where people would not rather have migrants. That qualifies as an invasion. Uighurs are not Chinese after all.

This isn't the flagrant extermination definition that Euros are used too, but I think it applies. They have a different way of doing things that is, I think, far less gruesome, but the results is still the intentional extermination of a culture.

What books on Chinese history would you recommend?

I would start with translations on the ancient classics so you see the world through their eyes. It is very different. Translations are never perfect though.

I would begin with the Art of War, the Spring and Summer Annals, and of course the Analects. Maybe some related commentaries. After you get a feel for the mindset, I'd dive into "Science and Civilization in China" by Joseph Needham. He was a far leftist and Sinophile, but also a brilliant man. That will show you just how brilliant Chinese culture is, but also how they lack other positive traits.

Then something like "China: A History (Volume 1): From Neolithic Cultures through the Great Qing Empire, (10,000 BCE - 1799 CE)".

I haven't read all these titles, but I've read quite a few of them. I doubt you'll ever finish Needham's volumes, there's a lot, but they're always full of insight. My favorite are, by far, the classics. The ancients made their knowledge as concise and clear as possible.

Europeans more altruistic than other cultures? May I suggest that you're seeing what you want to see!

Have you ever really thought about it?

Consider charity rates, violent crime rates, and general social trust among homogenous European cultures. It's no secret that charities are dominated by contributions from Europeans. Check out the World Giving Index.

There's other metrics we could use to, I'm sure. This can be verified through experimentation.

You should check out this thread, where some more has been thrown out.

Will do, thanks. I hope you actually read my responses as they took a long time to write. :/

The Europeans who began the global hegemonic process in the medieval period were far less developed, in every respect, than their Muslim and Chinese contemporaries. Heck, the first Crusaders didn't even know what was out there until they began their quest to 'take back the Holy Land for Jesus' and 'civilize the infidels' (who were far more civilized than they)!

I think that's a very crude understanding of European culture and history. Take the Islamic cultures; Most of them got their early infusion of knowledge from Roman/Byzantine and Persian Conquests. The great Arabic philosophers and scientists all speak of 'the Great one', Aristotle. Geniuses, like Avicenna, are very open about the immense contributions of the advanced Romans and the continuing theological battles between them and the culturally more sophisticated Byzantine populations.

And that's just one example. There was plenty of sophistication to go around as we saw with Aquinas' lengthy replies to Islamic Theologians in Summa Contra Gentiles and other works aimed at recently conquered muslims in Hispania.

History is a lot more complicated than that. We do no one any favors by disrespecting our history with that kind of simplification.

As for this, Europeans seem to be the most creative of populations. Historically they seem to have a disposition to develop and apply technology across all fields. We see this with many Chinese inventions that were developed first in China, often centuries ahead. Yet it's only Europeans who apply them, utilize them effectively, and use them for further innovation.

Gunpowder is the obvious one, but paper is another, as is printing, and the compass.

My suggestion is I think that the predisposition to conquest may be there in humanity in general.

My thoughts exactly.

That some characteristics are passed down and reinforced throughout certain elite dynasties is very possible, as well as the reinforcement of these characteristics within an isolated population generation after generation. If one thinks for example of the witch hunt, what would be the general psychology of the population if certain abilities were not eliminated from the gene pool?

-----
Based on the current balance (or imbalance) of power in the world, it seems reasonable to conclude that the "anglo-saxons" (or British) that colonized the USA carried a significant psychopathic profile in their genetics. The way in which the USA as a nation and government has developed and structured appears to have selected for psychopathy, creating a pathocracy that does not exist elsewhere to the same extent, with the exception perhaps of the 'motherland' i.e. the UK or more specifically England, or even more specifically, London.

The genetic problem is, as you say, mkrnhr, almost impossible to sort out, but I think we can still assign probabilities based on where the power center is and the way that it projects that power.

Yes, I think so too. Dysfunctional elites are typically purged every few hundred years in some kind of mass violence or disturbance. But notably, a few countries have been exempted from this rule.

Such as Britain. The masses seem fine. But what if the corruption in the Anglo world, which is top down, really is springing from certain genetically isolated elite groups that select specifically for high IQ and psychopathic traits?

Of course, America has never had such a purge except from the south. And the founders of the USA, being Freemason elite themselves connected to the British and French lodges in the same, remain the same stock as they were then.

I think there is definitely a genetic component to our corrupt elites.

It seems like a very logical course of action for them to take. Other populations behave in a similar way.

Joe said:

By their fruits one knows the tree. Also, there are clues in history. We have the neanderthal intermixing, the spread of agriculture (land possession and expansion = war, the psychological decline of human psyche = aggressiveness and psychosis, etc.) and the migration of certain "elite" people with dubious ideologies. For instance, I just remembered an interview by author and ex-freemason Christopher Knight describing how London was intended for a time to be the "new Jerusalem", before Washington DC was built for that very purpose.

Back
Top Bottom