Daylight Scandal Time Implementation

Today was the day for some of us, the day we spring ahead. After months of bitter cold, snow, darkness, where just a mere 60 days ago the sun dipped behind the mountains at 3:10 in the afternoon, they like to tell us we gain light with the imposed change now. As has been indicated, it is hard to keep readjusting the clocks, it has physiological implications on health. I'm ok if I don't look at clock time, unfortunately, some of our lives are rather governed by this instrument.

I think this says it well:

voyageur said:
Today was the day for some of us, the day we spring ahead. After months of bitter cold, snow, darkness, where just a mere 60 days ago the sun dipped behind the mountains at 3:10 in the afternoon, they like to tell us we gain light with the imposed change now. As has been indicated, it is hard to keep readjusting the clocks, it has physiological implications on health. I'm ok if I don't look at clock time, unfortunately, some of our lives are rather governed by this instrument.

In our case here on the East coast Australia, daylight savings will be ending in another 3 weeks. Thank you for bumping the thread voyageur- after reading the replies I might try melatonin to get me through the next round of daylight savings. I've been finding it harder and harder to adjust to.

Daylight Saving Time

Daylight savings time has been, in my opinion, a banal practice that I conform to, twice a year. I have never given it much thought, or looked deeply into the reasons, why we have to "Spring" forward on a specific date, only to have to "Fall" back an hour before Winter? I've always found the practice, to be disruptive and generally takes a few days or a week or so - to adjust to, especially when your working within a tight schedule, between work/job, kids/school and other activities, you try to jam into a 24 hour period. For the difference of "one hour" either way, it seems ridiculous. To make matters worse, they have periodically change the amount of months - in between? So, there's no "set dates" like having twelve months in a year? So, what's the purpose? Maybe the saying, "Time is Money" might be a clue and all this shuffling of "time" is to line the pockets of the Corporations?

Daylight saving time 2016: How big business benefits from more sunshine (Video)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/daylight-saving-business-energy-1.3485281

Why are there eight months of daylight saving each year?

It wasn't always this way.

We started with six months in the 1960s, then moved to seven in the mid-1980s. Now, we spring forward an hour in March and don't fall back until early November.

There's a pervasive misconception that this helps farmers. It doesn't. Farmers have been outspoken critics of daylight time since the idea picked up steam in the early 20th century.

Governments have long sold daylight time as a way to conserve energy. If we spend more waking hours in sunlight, we'll use less electricity to light our homes. Or so the idea goes.

But according to Tufts University professor Michael Downing, author of Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time, there's more to the story.

Commerce benefits

Studies suggest that consumers are more inclined to go out and spend money if there's more daylight after they leave work. But retailers and business owners knew that long before science backed the idea up, says Downing.

Take, for example, the most recent extension of daylight time. It came as part of the U.S. Energy Policy Act of 2005, a law ostensibly aimed at boosting energy conservation. A provision in the act pushed the start of daylight time from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March, and the fall back to standard time from late October to early November.

It took effect in 2007, and the parts of Canada that use daylight time also adopted the new parameters at that time.

Industry groups representing big-box stores, sporting and recreational goods manufacturers, barbecue and charcoal retailers, shopping malls and golf courses all lobbied the U.S. Congress to extend daylight time.

Downing is quick to point out the lobbying efforts are public and that most industry groups are very open about their involvement. Their endeavours are part of a long history of business interests pushing for daylight saving time.

A. Lincoln Filene, owner of the now-defunct U.S.-based Filene's department store chain, founded the National Daylight Saving Association — perhaps the first organized daylight time lobby group — in 1917, writes Mike O'Malley, a professor of American history at George Mason University in Virginia.

Among its biggest supporters were professional baseball leagues (afternoon games could be scheduled after work hours) and garden-supply retailers.

Unforeseeable consequences

But as some modern-day businesses profit from a longer daylight saving period, those benefits are "offset by the law of unforeseeable consequences," says Matthew Rosza, a doctoral student in history at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania and a political columnist.

Rosza spent about a year researching the history of daylight time for a piece published in Salon in 2014.

Adjusting the clocks twice a year "is one of those rituals that seems to make sense based on folksy wisdom, but when you study the science behind it, it doesn't," he said.

There are conflicting findings on the question of whether daylight time really conserves energy. Studies done for Congress have tended to report small savings, but others done at the state level and by independent researchers did not.

One of the most definitive studies examined electricity use in Indiana. It was a perfect test case because, prior to 2006, many areas of the state did not use daylight time. But that year, it was adopted in every county, which gave researchers an opportunity to compare before-and-after data

While electricity demand for lighting decreased in the evening, the extra hour of sunlight meant Hoosiers kept their air conditioners pumping for longer each day. In the end, the average household used more electricity after daylight time kicked in.

Further, a statistical analysis done in California found that the 2007 extension of daylight time had "little or no effect on energy consumption" in the state.

'They're going to drive'

According to Downing, there is another important consequence.

"People are going to use more evening light and enjoy it," he said. "They go out to shop, to the park, to sporting events — but they aren't going to walk. They're going to drive. Gas companies have known this dating back to the 1930s."

He notes that a prominent lobby group pushing for more daylight time is the National Association of Convenience Stores, which represents many businesses that are affiliated with gas stations.

In 2001, a senior U.S. Department of Transportation official testified before Congress that it's entirely possible that any energy savings from daylight time could be offset by increased travel but cautioned there was a dearth of data on the subject.

For his part, Downing supports the idea of shifting back to six months of daylight time. Keeping it year-round would mean extremely late winter sunrises for many people, particularly in the west, he said. (Though there is a compelling case for a move a to permanent daylight time.)

Downing says one of the biggest problems with daylight saving time is that it gives governments an excuse to avoid having to develop a "real mechanism to reduce energy consumption."

"Daylight saving time has become a damaging substitute for any meaningful energy policy," he said.

Fact or myth? 6 things to know about Daylight Saving Time
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/03/spring_ahead_crime_energy_and.html

WASHINGTON – Daylight Saving Time begins Sunday, March 13, so set your clocks ahead one hour.

The good news is you'll get an extra hour of daylight. The bad news is you'll also lose an hour of sleep. Unless you are in Arizona or choose to ignore clocks, you have no choice but to adjust.

Here are six facts, myths or tips to know before you fumble for your car's owner manual to figure out, yet again, how to change the digital readout. And a bonus: it's Daylight Saving, not Savings.

1. This is the 100th anniversary -- sort of.

Daylight Saving Time started in 1908 in Thunder Bay, Canada, to squeeze in an extra hour of daylight. It spread to certain cities in Canada, then to Germany, which in 1916 was the first nation to adopt the idea. The thinking: In wartime, better use of natural light among civilians would save coal for more important uses. England and France joined in that year, too.

The United States followed in 1918, though over the years it tinkered with the idea – repealing it, re-instituting it during energy crises, changing the dates and sowing consternation. If you accept 1916 as the real start, because that's when entire nations began using Daylight Saving Time, this year marks the 100th anniversary. (Yeah, we quibble with that too, but you'll see it mentioned in some accounts.)

2. Thank Dubya.

Daylight Saving Time in the United States was extended by four weeks in 2007 – starting on the second Sunday of March and going to the first Sunday of November – as a result of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, signed by President George W. Bush. The intent was to save energy, and the sporting goods and convenience store industries liked it, saying more daylight would be good for business.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and orthodox rabbis did not, saying children would have to walk to school or wait for buses in the dark. In fairness, this was a minor part of the bill, which was supported by Ohio's two U.S. senators at the time, Republicans Mike DeWine and George Voinovich. Opposing it were then-Reps. Sherrod Brown, Stephanie Tubbs Jones, Dennis Kucinich and Marcy Kaptur, all Democrats. They said the bill favored the oil and gas industries too heavily.

3. This is not for the dogs.

Most babies and dogs can't read clocks. They know when it's time to wake up, and time to eat, partly because they are creatures of habit and partly because of their internal clocks. Then along comes Sunday and the clock skips ahead – except no one told them.

Experts give the same advice to parents as to dog owners: Make small adjustment over several days. Start waking up 15 minutes early (sorry, since we're telling you this only two days in advance). Adjust your lights to better match the coming waking-hour (or sleep-time) light.

As Parents magazine says: Take baby steps.

Adjustments for pets may be easier if they are used to waiting for their owners and following their commands. But pet owners still may have certain habits to contend with. Julia Szabo, a pet journalist, gave this advice on the Dogster.com website a couple years ago, and it still applies: Carve out "a few extra minutes in your morning this week to take your pup for an additional outing, just in case it didn't get around to doing number two. If that still isn't forthcoming, don't be surprised if you're met with a little accident when you return home (and do be nice about it — it's not the dog's fault that the clock got reset)."

4. Arizona is full of rebels.

Arizona doesn't participate in Daylight Saving Time, except for the portion in the Navajo Nation. Why not?

The Arizona Republic, the newspaper in Phoenix, said it perfectly: "The short answer: The last thing Arizona needs to save is daylight. On a July day when the high is 114 degrees, do you really want the sun hanging around until 8:40 p.m.?"

The longer answer is that Arizona participated in the temporary time shift the first time the United States tried it, but Maricopa County – the greater Phoenix area – refused to. The state jumped on again during World War II, but when Congress decided on a semi-permanent time change with the Uniform Time Act of 1966, it let states opt out. Arizona joined in anyway, but one hot summer of extended daylight was enough. As the Arizona Republic describes the level of legislative heat, when the matter came up for a vote in 1968, "Arizona politicians may well have set a record for nearly unanimous agreement."

Indiana has a similarly checkered past with Daylight Saving Time. Before 2006, only a few counties observed it. Then the state passed a law requiring all counties to switch. That doesn't mean Indiana isn't confusing; most of the state's 92 counties are in the Eastern time zone, but 12 – in Indiana's northwest and southwest corners -- follow Central time, putting them an hour behind the others.

5. So much for energy savings.

With more time for outdoor activity, we use less energy in our homes – or do we?

In a 2008 study published by the National Bureau of Economic Research, the answer was the opposite of you'd expect. Based on millions of data points for electricity usage in Indiana over its first three years of fully observing Daylight Saving Time, the study concluded that electricity demand rose instead of falling. Sure, people turned on fewer lights in the evening. But they adjusted their thermostats for greater comfort in the morning.

A study in California reached a similar conclusion. But rather than consider a single state, the U.S. Department of Energy looked at electricity usage nationwide, examining data from 67 utilities. The department considered electricity consumption in industry as well as homes. This led to the conclusion that the four-week extension of Daylight Saving Time from the 2005 legislation shaved 0.5 percent off the nation's energy usage, according to Scientific American. That doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to power 100,000 households for a year. The federal government uses that study to make its point today.

This debate still rages, but a number of people who have examined the data -- Tom Zeller Jr. in Forbes, Michael Downing, author of a book that says it's time to "stop the annual madness," a study by academics looking at Daylight Saving Time in Australia -- say the savings, if any, are negligible, because while we use less electricity in the evening, we use more in the morning.

6. But changing time helps fight crime.

Robberies drop by 7 percent when Daylight Saving Time kicks in, according to a study last year in the Review of Economics and Statistics. In some areas, the drop is as high as 27 percent light lingers longer, wrote the authors, Jennifer L. Doleac, an economist and visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution and Nicholas J. Sanders an economist at Cornell University.

"Why might this time shift matter?" they wrote in a Brookings summary. "The timing of sunset is pretty close to the time many of us leave work, and walking to our cars or homes in the dark makes us easier targets for street criminals. We feel safer when we're walking in the daylight, and it's easy to imagine why light might have a deterrent effect on crime: offenders know they're more likely to be recognized and get caught if they're fully visible."

So Daylight Saving Time is good – no? Well, Doleac and Sanders say, "It's complicated. There's research showing DST does not, in fact, reduce energy consumption. And other researchers find that the DST time shift has substantial costs, including reducing our response time and cognition, and adding extra stress on our bodies."

For one thing, they say, it increases the number of traffic accidents, workplace injuries, and heart attacks in the days just after the time change, as our internal clocks are thrown off. Maybe you should use Sunday to sleep in.

Related articles:
Debate over daylight time continues as most of Canada springs forward this weekend
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/daylight-saving-time-facts-figures-1.3485261
1-hour time change linked to increases in heart attacks, traffic fatalities.

Daylight saving time: Should it be abolished?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/daylight-saving-time-should-it-be-abolished-1.2987517
Would you rather keep it, abolish it, or make it permanent year-round?

Re: Daylight Saving Time

angelburst29 said:
Daylight savings time has been, in my opinion, a banal practice that I conform to, twice a year.

It sneaked up on me again today and did not see it coming - so was slightly discombobulated between the time on the computer and on the stove and, as a marker between when SoTT Talk was to start. :D

There is a town not far from me that straddles a mountain range and two time zones. The citizens long ago figured out what to do. In spring, the time-zone change sign is located to their West. Come Fall season, they simply pick the sign up and move it to the towns East, therefor for them, nothing changes, it only changes for those transitioning through their zone. :)

I don't like it. It always takes a week or two to get used to. It surprised me too today when I looked at my phone after breakfast and was like, "Shoot I just lost an hour, it's DST!" I slept the same amount of hours I would normally sleep, so my day loses an hour. And I have to wait 8 months to get back that hour.

In a joking manner I was thinking, well, I could watch some movies or youtube videos that I would normally watch at 1.25 or 1.5 speed until I regain that hour back. :P

I find it amusing how much time controls us. It's just a widely accepted agreement and we're just saying, "Ok lets just adjust the clocks at this such and such time." And I wonder about people who don't have a set time to wake up, who maybe are freelancers or work from home. And they don't follow any social routines like watch television, etc. They must think nothing of this daylight savings time. It's like, "Let's all agree that the sun comes up and goes down at this appointed time."

Sometimes I wish I had more time. Like I will probably feel tonight. Like, "I didn't do enough of the things I want to do." It would be nice to be able to bend time and make it stretch so you could do more things and an hour becomes 2 or 3 hours. I mean come on, we can do it as a planet now when everyone agrees on it! It just doesn't work that way. :rolleyes:

It caught me by surprise today also. I was enjoying a leisurely morning, making breakfast, reading emails thinking I had plenty of time. Glanced at the computer time and saw it was one hour later then I thought! It was already time to be at work and I flew out the door. Humpf...... I don't like it either. I've always thought it was a conspiracy to throw us out of whack.

I too find DST disruptive, and a bit nonsensical really. Thanks for posting the article angelburst29. At a different practice to where I am now, I used to have a dear old lady as a patient a few years ago, who never conformed to the daylight savings time. We learned to adjust her appointment time on our books, because she would be either an hour early or late :)

That was a very interesting article indeed, angelburst29! Just glad our DST is over, since Feb 21. I'm shocked to know you guys have so much time on DST, like 8 months? In the southern hemisphere (where I live) it starts on Oct and continues until Feb. I too feel that it's very confusing and that it dusturbs our whole physiology.

The govt says that it saves about $1 billion a year by not having to turn those costy thermoelectric power plants for some months. Who knows?

i have noticed since a long time difficulties people and farm animals have to adapt to the one hour shifts which accompany these time shifts.

i happened to find an article on this subject, ref below. its interest lies in the nomination of experts on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom