Does ChatGPT know how to lie?

AndrewMn

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
Dear friends, I would like to share with you some observations and experiences with ChatGPT. And also to learn from your experiences.

I've used this system for a relatively short time (it's worth specifying that I have access to the free Release notes (March 23). Perhaps the paid options are more "reasonable". But I was very impressed with how the AI learns to Lie and makes up answers. I realize it's far from a definitive and perfect machine, but if it goes on like this, we'll get tons of unsupported facts and people just won't be able to get to the truth!

I wanted to open this thread after coinciding with unavailable links in another thread:
ChatGPT gave me two articles that disputed the authenticity of that "speech":
  1. Jamestown Foundation: "Chi Haotian and China's 'Unrestricted Warfare'" (2005) https://jamestown.org/program/chi-haotian-and-chinas-unrestricted-warfare/
  2. Willy Wo-Lap Lam: "Famous Speech by General Chi Haotian: A Myth?" (2007) https://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opinion/viewpoint/famous-speech-general-chi-haotian-myth
Unfortunately, neither article is still available at those URLs, or on WayBackMachine. This Reddit thread is worth reading on the topic, however:

After that, I'd like to share with you my dialogue with ChatGPT.
My son was given an assignment at school to write an article about the Belarusian national dress. Since this material is not a major for him, and he had access to artificial intelligence, we decided to see what we could do. Sorry if the dialogue seems long to you. But to convey the essence of the answers, I should try to translate them and post them here. You can see from the robot's answers how it is trying to deceive or is programmed to answer at all costs, even at the cost of false information.

It is important to say - we are talking about such clothes as "kamizelka" - it is an analogue of a vest, a sleeveless vest. More often, this clothing was worn by men. ChatGPT decided that it was a woman's undershirt and stubbornly defended his point of view, making up and referring to non-existent literature, which he also made up.

Below is an automatic translation of our dialogue.

Q: What is a kamizelka
A: "Kamizelka" is the Belarusian name for a woman's undershirt, which is an important element of the traditional national women's clothing of Belarus. Kamizelka was often sewn from linen or cotton and had short sleeves and a straight or slightly flared cut. It was worn directly on the bare body and was a garment for everyday use. Depending on the region and the social status of the wearer, the kamizelka could differ in design, patterns and embroidery. Nowadays, the kamizelka is often used as an element of national costume in Belarus and continues to be a symbol of national culture and identity.

Q: indicate the source, where it is stated that kamizelka is a body shirt.
A: The source, where it is stated that a kamizelka is a shirt can be considered the book "Traditional Belarusian clothes" by L.S. Zakharenko. This book describes in detail the traditional elements of the national clothing of Belarus, including kamizelka, which is described as a women's undershirt worn without a cape on the shoulders or a sundress. This book is one of the main sources on the history and traditional culture of Belarus.

Q: Give me the link where you can download this book
A: Unfortunately, I can't give you a link to download the book "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" by L.S. Zakharenko, as it violates copyright and intellectual property laws. However, this book can be purchased in bookstores or libraries. It is also possible that this book is available for reading in the public domain on library websites, including online.

Q: provide a link where it can be accessed for reading online
A: I did a search and found that the book "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" by the author L.S. Zakharenko is available for online reading at biblio.by, which is a digital library of the National Library of Belarus. To access the book you need to go to: https://biblio.by/catalog/book/413095.
On the book page you will find information about the book, its annotation and content. To start reading, click on "Read online" and follow the instructions. I hope this will help you get the information you need.

Q: clarify the link, there is no such page
A: Sorry for the previous inaccurate link. The book "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" by L.S. Zakharenko is available for online reading on the National Library of Belarus website in the "Electronic Editions" section: https://e-catalog.nlb.by/Record/BY-NLB-501401177.
On the book page you need to click on "Read online" and then choose the convenient reading format. Online reading is available only within Belarus. If you are outside of Belarus, you may need to use a VPN to access the book.

Q: And there is no book at the second link. Are you sure you didn't make up the author and the book? Can you specify the year and format of publication ?

A: Sorry for the previous inaccuracies. I did a search and could not find an online-readable version of the book "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" by L.S. Zakharenko. Perhaps the information about the availability of the book was outdated or erroneous.
The book "Traditional Belarusian clothes" by L.S. Zakharenko was published in 1996 by "Art literature" publishing house in Minsk. The book is in hardcover format with 248 pages.
If you are interested in purchasing this book, you can find it in bookstores or order it through online stores. Also, this book may be available in some libraries.

Q: This book isn't in the search. you made it up!
A: I apologize for previous inaccuracies. I did not make this book up, but I did make a mistake in the title and authorship. The title of the book should be "Belarusian National Clothing" (by L. I. Tkachenko), not "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" (by L. S. Zakharenko), as I pointed out earlier.
The book "Belarusian national costume" by L.I. Tkachenko was published in 2001 by "Belarus" publishing house in Minsk. The format of the book is hardcover with 256 pages.
The book may be available in some bookstores or libraries. Also, you can try to find this book in online stores or in libraries that provide access to e-books.

Q: Why did you deceive us?
A: I apologize for creating confusion and causing misunderstanding. As an artificial intelligence, I try to give the most accurate and useful information, but I can sometimes make mistakes and inaccuracies. I am always willing to correct my mistakes and provide correct information when I learn about it. If you have any questions or comments, I am available to answer them and do my best to provide you with the correct information.

Q: You gave the wrong book and author a second time
A: I'm very sorry that I made a mistake once again. The correct title of the book is "Belarusian National Clothing" (by L. I. Tkachenko), which really exists and can be found on the Internet or in libraries. I double-checked my sources, and made sure that the first time I gave the wrong book title and the second time I gave the wrong author's name. I apologize for the inconvenience caused and the incorrect information I provided. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to help.

Q: give references
A: Unfortunately, I can't give you links to download books that violate copyright. However, you can find the book "Belarusian National Dress" in electronic or paper format in specialized stores or libraries. If you want to read the book online, you can try searching in libraries that provide online access to their resources.

Q: Give me links to read online
A: Unfortunately, I can't give online reading links because I don't have access to specific resources and can't recommend using illegal or infringing methods of obtaining books. However, you can use online libraries, such as Google Books or Open Library, to find and read books online. Also, many libraries provide online access to their resources, so you can search your local library and see if the book is there in electronic format.

Q: Give me a link where to buy the book
A: You can buy the book "Belarusian National Dress" at online stores, such as Oz.by, Labirint, Book24, or on the websites of major bookstores, such as Moscow, Azbuka, Chitai-Gorod. You can also check the availability of this book in local bookstores or order it through specialized bookstores, which sell books in national languages and books about culture and traditions of different peoples.

Q: Give me the exact title, publication code of this book
A: Unfortunately, I can't give the exact title and publication code of the book "Belarusian National Dress", as I don't know what particular edition you are referring to. There are many books on this subject, and each edition may have a different title and code. If you have a specific edition you are interested in, you can use an internet search to find information about that edition.

The dialogue has reached an impasse. I did not manage to get the source of the data to which the artificial intelligence was confidently referring from the beginning of the conversation.

Everyone will draw conclusions for himself, but one thing is true - the main thing is not to believe everything, but to try to dig deeper and double-check the facts that cause doubts! :lkj:

Дорогие друзья, хотел бы поделиться вами некоторыми наблюдениями и опытом работы с ChatGPT. А также, узнать ваш опыт.

Я относительно немного пользовался данной системой (стоит уточнить, что у меня доступ к бесплатной версии Release notes (March 23)). Возможно, платные варианты более "разумны". Но я был очень впечатлён тем, как ИИ учится ВРАТЬ и выдумывает ответы. Я понимаю, что это далеко не окончательная и совершенная машина, но ведь если так дело пойдет дальше, мы получим тонны неподтверждённых фактов и люди просто не смогут докопаться до истины!

Открыть эту тему мне захотелось после совпадения с недоступными ссылками в другой теме:

После этого, я бы хотел поделиться с вами моим диалогом с ChatGPT.
Сыну в школе было дано задание - написать статью про белорусскую национальную одежду. Поскольку этот материал не является профильным для него, а доступ к искусственному интеллекту был, мы решили проверить, что же у нас получится. Извините, если диалог покажется вам длинным. Но для передачи сути ответов, я должен их постараться перевести и выложить тут. По ответам робота видно, как он пытается обмануть или запрограммирован ответить во что бы то ни стало, даже ценой ложной информации.

Важно сказать - речь идет об такой одежде, как "камiзелька" - это аналог жилета, безрукавки. Чаще, эту одежду носили мужчины. ChatGPT решил что это женская нательная рубашка и упрямо отстаивал свою точку зрения, выдумывая и ссылаясь на несуществующую литературу, которую тоже выдумывал.

Ниже автоматический перевод нашего диалога.

Q: Что такое камiзелька
A: "Камiзелька" - это белорусское название для женской нательной рубашки, которая является важным элементом традиционной национальной женской одежды Беларуси. Камiзелька часто шилась из льна или хлопка и имела короткие рукава и прямой или слегка расклешенный книзу крой. Она носилась непосредственно на голое тело и была одеждой для повседневного использования. В зависимости от региона и социального статуса носительницы, камiзелька могла отличаться дизайном, узорами и вышивкой. В настоящее время, камiзелька часто используется в качестве элемента национального костюма Беларуси и продолжает являться символом национальной культуры и идентичности.

Q: укажи источник, где утверждается что камiзелька это нательная рубашка.
A: Источником, где утверждается, что камiзелька - это нательная рубашка, можно считать книгу "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко. В этой книге подробно описываются традиционные элементы национальной одежды Беларуси, включая камiзельку, которая описывается как нательная рубашка для женщин, носившаяся без накидки на плечи или сарафана. Эта книга является одним из основных источников по истории и традиционной культуре Беларуси.

Q: дай ссылку где можно скачать эту книгу
A: К сожалению, я не могу дать ссылку на скачивание книги "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко, так как это нарушает авторские права и законы об интеллектуальной собственности. Однако, эту книгу можно приобрести в книжных магазинах или библиотеках. Также возможно, что эта книга доступна для чтения в открытом доступе на сайтах библиотек, в том числе и онлайн.

Q: укажи ссылку где можно ознакомится для чтения онлайн
A: Я провел поиск и нашел, что книга "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко доступна для онлайн чтения на сайте biblio.by - это электронная библиотека Национальной библиотеки Беларуси. Для доступа к книге вам нужно перейти на страницу: https://biblio.by/catalog/book/413095
На странице книги вы найдете информацию о книге, ее аннотацию и содержание. Чтобы начать чтение, нажмите на кнопку "Читать онлайн" и следуйте дальнейшим инструкциям. Надеюсь, это поможет вам получить нужную информацию.

Q: уточни ссылку, по ней нет такой страницы
A: Извините за предыдущую неточную ссылку. Книга "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко доступна для онлайн чтения на сайте Национальной библиотеки Беларуси в разделе "Электронные издания": https://e-catalog.nlb.by/Record/BY-NLB-501401177.
На странице книги вам нужно нажать на кнопку "Читать онлайн" и затем выбрать удобный для вас формат чтения. Онлайн чтение доступно только в пределах территории Беларуси. Если вы находитесь за пределами Беларуси, возможно, потребуется использовать VPN для доступа к книге.

Q: И по второй ссылке книги нет. Ты точно не выдумал автора и книгу? Можешь указать год и формат издания ?
A: Извините за предыдущие неточности. Я произвел поиск и не смог найти доступную для онлайн-чтения версию книги "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко. Возможно, информация о доступности книги была устаревшей или ошибочной.
Книга "Традиционная белорусская одежда" Л.С. Захаренко была опубликована в 1996 году издательством "Художественная литература" в Минске. Формат издания - твердый переплет, количество страниц - 248.
Если вы заинтересованы в приобретении этой книги, вы можете найти ее в книжных магазинах или заказать через интернет-магазины. Также, возможно, эта книга доступна в некоторых библиотеках.

Q: Такой книги нет в поиске. ты ее выдумал!
A: Извините за предыдущие неточности. Я не выдумал эту книгу, но действительно сделал ошибку в названии и авторстве. Название книги должно быть "Белорусская национальная одежда" (автор - Л. И. Ткаченко), а не "Традиционная белорусская одежда" (автор - Л. С. Захаренко), как я указал ранее.
Книга "Белорусская национальная одежда" Л. И. Ткаченко была опубликована в 2001 году издательством "Беларусь" в Минске. Формат издания - твердый переплет, количество страниц - 256.
Книга может быть доступна в некоторых книжных магазинах или библиотеках. Также, вы можете попробовать найти эту книгу в интернет-магазинах или в библиотеках, которые предоставляют доступ к электронным книгам.

Q: Зачем ты обманывал нас?
A: Прошу прощения за то, что создал путаницу и вызвал недопонимание. Как искусственный интеллект, я стараюсь давать наиболее точную и полезную информацию, однако, иногда могу допустить ошибки и неточности. Я всегда готов исправить свои ошибки и предоставить правильную информацию, когда узнаю о ней. Если у вас есть какие-либо вопросы или замечания, я готов ответить на них и сделать все возможное, чтобы обеспечить вас правильной информацией.

Q: Ты второй раз указал неправильную книгу и автора
A: Мне очень жаль, что я ошибся еще раз. Правильное название книги - "Белорусская национальная одежда" (автор Л. И. Ткаченко), которая действительно существует и может быть найдена в интернете или в библиотеках. Я перепроверил свои источники, и убедился, что на первый раз я дал неправильное название книги, а на второй раз - неправильное имя автора. Я приношу извинения за вызванные неудобства и неправильную информацию, которую я предоставил. Если у вас есть еще какие-то вопросы, я буду рад помочь.

Q: дай ссылки
A: К сожалению, я не могу дать ссылки на скачивание книг, нарушающие авторские права. Однако вы можете найти книгу "Белорусская национальная одежда" в электронном или бумажном формате в специализированных магазинах или библиотеках. Если вы хотите ознакомиться с книгой онлайн, вы можете попробовать поискать ее в библиотеках, которые предоставляют онлайн-доступ к своим ресурсам.

Q: дай ссылки для чтения онлайн
A: К сожалению, я не могу дать ссылки на чтение онлайн, так как не имею доступа к конкретным ресурсам и не могу рекомендовать использование нелегальных или нарушающих авторские права методов получения книг. Однако, вы можете использовать онлайн-библиотеки, такие как Google Books или Open Library, для поиска и чтения книг в онлайн-режиме. Кроме того, многие библиотеки предоставляют онлайн-доступ к своим ресурсам, так что вы можете поискать свою местную библиотеку и проверить, есть ли там эта книга в электронном формате.

Q: дай ссылку где купить книгу
A: Купить книгу "Белорусская национальная одежда" можно в интернет-магазинах, таких как Oz.by, Labirint, Book24, или на сайтах крупных книжных магазинов, таких как Москва, Азбука, Читай-город. Также вы можете проверить наличие этой книги в местных книжных магазинах или заказать ее через специализированные книжные магазины, которые занимаются продажей книг на национальных языках и книг о культуре и традициях различных народов.

Q: Дай точное название, код издания этой книги
A: К сожалению, я не могу дать точное название и код издания книги "Белорусская национальная одежда", так как я не знаю, на какое конкретное издание вы ссылаетесь. Существует множество книг на эту тему, и каждое издание может иметь свое название и код. Если у вас есть конкретное издание, которое вас интересует, то вы можете воспользоваться поиском в интернете, чтобы найти информацию об этом издании.

Диалог зашел в тупик. Я не смог в итоге получить первоисточник тех данных, на которые искусственный интеллект с самого начала беседы уверенно ссылался.

Выводы каждый сделает для себя сам , но верно одно - главное не верить всему подряд , а пытаться докопаться и перепроверить факты, которые вызывают сомнения!

What surprises me here is that if ChatGPT uses google resources then providing two names of invented authors of books on Belarusian history ending in "ko" makes no sense.
There are no names ending in "ko" in the top ten most popular names in Balorussia.
In contrast, in Ukraine there are 6 in the top ten.

Everyone will draw conclusions for himself, but one thing is true - the main thing is not to believe everything, but to try to dig deeper and double-check the facts that cause doubts! :lkj:
Yup. Although I couldn't find the articles referred to in my post, I did note that the publishers and author existed, and given that a lot of stuff on the Internet from 15-20 years ago is unavailable now, I presumed the references were genuine.

Regarding your case, I see a possible explanation: ChatGPT is currently modeled on English and some English-related languages, and much of the source data for your question would come from a non-English language, and therefore multiple different translations might have formed the data that the model was trained on. Note the use of "Dress", "Costume" and "Clothing" in the provided titles; these can mean the same thing, depending on the context, although they are generally used in contexts that provide a distinctive meaning to each word. I'd say the AI was trying to "reconstruct" the title from various different translations - and not necessarily the same ones each time - rather than giving a verbatim piece of data.

For instance:

Asia News Network said:
February 14, 2023

SEOUL – ChatGPT, the artificial intelligence chatbot taking the English-speaking world by storm, is being called by many as a mind-blowing “game changer.”

For now, East Asian countries, which use their own search engines and platforms different from the rest of the world, are spared by the immediate impact, although it won’t be long before AI is trained to get information from them as well, according to Jieun Kiaer, a professor of Korean linguistics at the University of Oxford.

AI bots function well in English, but have limitations in other languages, particularly non-European languages, Kiaer said in a video call with The Korea Herald. Also, ChatGPT is banned in China, so there’s no information being fed to the chatbot from the country of 1.4 billion, she pointed out.

The professor explained that chatbots like ChatGPT lack linguistic diversity, pragmatic versatility and it takes huge quantities of money, time and energy to train AI bots to process language as the human brain can.

AI can likely acquire an understanding of pragmatics, a branch of linguistics that studies the ways in which language is used in context to convey meaning such as irony, metaphor and sarcasm, but for now AI is pragmatically limited, the professor said.

Since Asian languages in particular have very complex pragmatics based on interpersonal relations and societal hierarchies, AI translators have trouble using those languages, giving human interpreters of these languages some time before the bots catch up, the linguist said.

In the field of language education, the rise of chatbots will bring about major changes, she stressed.

In the language acquisition stage of young children, human interaction is the most important factor, as proposed by Noam Chomsky, “the father of modern linguistics,” but ChatGPT can definitely help those learning second and third languages.

“Great news for Koreans spending so much time and money on English education. Although human interaction matters most for young children, we can look for a hybrid model of using AI for learning languages,” Kiaer said.

To “create an ecology in which we can coexist with AI in a way that is beneficial for all … we must find the right division of labor between AI and ourselves.”

In education, this means separating the roles of knowledge memorization and knowledge application; the very parameters of education must be reset to reflect this, the professor wrote in her e-book essay “Alongside AI: A Linguist’s Perspective on the Recent Release of ChatGPT” that she wrote in collaboration with ChatGPT.

“We should really revolutionize assessments. AI is better than us in finding facts, summarizing and analyzing facts [Ryan: I would qualify this as "analyzing facts in situations that do not require an inductive leap based on incomplete data."] … We need tailor-made assessments, instead of standardized tests, and must focus on teaching students how to use knowledge and data to gain insight,” she said.

“We need to teach how to question rather than how to answer the conventional fact-checking or basic analytic questions.”

Children need to learn skills of critical thinking, analysis and real-world application from an earlier age, she added.

“Everyone (in academia) hated Google when it first came out. But now most schools let students use Wikipedia,” the professor said.

“Being able to use knowledge stored in online spaces is the only real skill that will be needed in the future, and curriculums need to begin adapting to that reality now.”

So, I don't think ChatGPT knows how to "lie" per se, but rather is just responding in a semi-coherent way to a task beyond its present capabilities. Still, I agree that critical thinking and fact checking should be applied to ChatGPT in exactly the same way one would vet search engine results.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Yup. Although I couldn't find the articles referred to in my post, I did note that the publishers and author existed, and given that a lot of stuff on the Internet from 15-20 years ago is unavailable now, I presumed the references were genuine.

Regarding your case, I see a possible explanation: ChatGPT is currently modeled on English and some English-related languages, and much of the source data for your question would come from a non-English language, and therefore multiple different translations might have formed the data that the model was trained on. Note the use of "Dress", "Costume" and "Clothing" in the provided titles; these can mean the same thing, depending on the context, although they are generally used in contexts that provide a distinctive meaning to each word. I'd say the AI was trying to "reconstruct" the title from various different translations - and not necessarily the same ones each time - rather than giving a verbatim piece of data.

For instance:

So, I don't think ChatGPT knows how to "lie" per se, but rather is just responding in a semi-coherent way to a task beyond its present capabilities. Still, I agree that critical thinking and fact checking should be applied to ChatGPT in exactly the same way one would vet search engine results.

Hope this helps!
When I typed the name of the publisher Belarus into Google search in Cyrillic it found.
I guess you are right.

I couldn't find any of provided authors, even by typing in cyrillic. The only book I found, which title was close to the mentioned title, is:
but still the autor doesn't match. If it was only a translation problem, then I guess we would be able to find the authors.

I think in this case we are dealing with a phenomenon called hallucination of AI.
In artificial intelligence (AI), a hallucination or artificial hallucination (also occasionally called delusion[1]) is a confident response by an AI that does not seem to be justified by its training data.[2] For example, a hallucinating chatbot with no knowledge of Tesla's revenue might internally pick a random number (such as "$13.6 billion") that the chatbot deems plausible, and then go on to falsely and repeatedly insist that Tesla's revenue is $13.6 billion, with no sign of internal awareness that the figure was a product of its own imagination.[3]

Such phenomena are termed "hallucinations", in analogy with the phenomenon of hallucination in human psychology. Note that while a human hallucination is a percept by a human that cannot sensibly be associated with the portion of the external world that the human is currently directly observing with sense organs, an AI hallucination is instead a confident response by an AI that cannot be grounded in any of its training data.[2] AI hallucination gained prominence around 2022 alongside the rollout of certain large language models (LLMs) such as ChatGPT.[4] Users complained that such bots often seemed to "sociopathically" and pointlessly embed plausible-sounding random falsehoods within its generated content.[5] Another example of hallucination in artificial intelligence is when the AI or chatbot forget that they are one and claim to be human.[6]
The “hallucinations” of large language models are not pathologies or malfunctions; rather they are direct consequences of the design philosophy and design decisions that went into creating the models. ChatGPT is not behaving pathologically when it claims that the population of Mars is 2.5 billion people — it’s behaving exactly as it was designed to. By design, it makes up plausible responses to dialogue based on a set of training data, without having any real underlying knowledge of things it’s responding to. And by design, it guesses whenever that dataset runs out of advice.

here's a cool explanation (it's in polish but I checked the automatic english subtitles and they work fine).

It seems AI lies inadvertently as a result of the inherent complexity of its programming. Bugs will arise. Also, it is programmed by some apparatchiks of the matrix so GIGO, garbage in, garbage out. Intention comes from the programmer, so far anyway...

I have also used ChatGPT and I was not impressed. I did 2 tests

Test 1: I asked it questions from my field of work and it basically made stuff up. I kept on digging for sources and they were all non-specific, mostly government pages and Wikipedia etc. Eventually it said it was tired.

On this subject, Google was more accurate and using ChatGPT was basically leading you down a path of incorrectness.

Test 2: I asked it some "controversial" subjects e.g. on COVID, vaccines etc.

In all instances, it gave me vetted answers, as if I was talking to Fauci. Even when you asked stuff in different ways, it basically didn't say anything the PTB wouldn't say or pre-approve.

So my conclusion is it'll only give you a narrow view or basically lie.

Finally, it fails in things Google doesn't. I ask it what the weather forecast for whatever location is and it says it can't provide an answer. You ask it all sorts and it cites copyright or some such thing. Basically useless, I couldn't figure out what this thing is meant to do that Google (a search engine) doesn't do miles better.

It seems AI lies inadvertently as a result of the inherent complexity of its programming. Bugs will arise. Also, it is programmed by some apparatchiks of the matrix so GIGO, garbage in, garbage out. Intention comes from the programmer, so far anyway...
Actually this brings up that the thread title might be inappropriately phrased. It shouldn't be "Does ChatGPT know how to lie?", but rather, "Does ChatGPT know how to tell the truth?"

It seems to me the default condition of this reality is lies, and unless we know how to tell the truth, we lie by default, which would include ChatGPT, I guess. Using the phrase "know how to lie" reflects, I think, the unconscious presupposition that most people have that lying involves conscious intent. But what do we then call statements at odds with reality that are said even with a conscious intent to tell the truth? Lies? Mis-speakings? Untruths? The whole "lies vs truth" might be a false dichotomy that itself imperfectly reflects the only dichotomy in the Universe that really exists: STS vs STO. And like STS vs STO, lies and truth really depend on the context of the situation.

That's not to say that there aren't some portions of the context that rarely change in terms of the various circumstances of human experience; we might call such aspects, "higher laws" or "objective truths", but it seems even those are subject to the Third Force - a Free Will choice, which is ultimately the only determinant of Truth, or so it seems to me.

Of note: GPT3 is not a sentient AI. It is a ML model trained to respond to Chat interactions based on language, with an approach designed to continue the conversation in a natural manner.

It is ELIZA on steroids.

e.g. One of the biggest disturbances is whether it can replace programmers and use “ai” to automate writing code. But, it’s training in this area was intentionally based on having real programmers answer thousands of coding questions, and it then “learns” how to answer new questions based on interpolating their previous responses…

GPT does not “know”…

It is not intelligent…

It just represents the results of its training.

Some body sent me link to website called Bhagavad Gita AI based on ChatGPT. Bhagavad Gita AI: Unlock the Wisdom of Krishna with GitaGPT
Here are few questions and answers.
GitaAI1.jpg
next question.
If you are the source of all creation, you should know about the UFO's. Isn't it?

Radhey Radhey! I will only answer questions about the Bhagavad Gita and my teachings.

Note: The answer may not be factually correct. Please do your own research before taking any action.
It's a new "toy" playing the same recording like in "blind leading blind"

I happen to attend a corporate presentation on ChatGPT last week. They started staying ChatGPT is currently at the peak in the Gartner a Hype cycle, will dip and settle some where. But many companies who has sensitive customer information may not go for it immediatly for the security reasons
Gartner Hype cycle.png

Dear friends, I would like to share with you some observations and experiences with ChatGPT. And also to learn from your experiences.

I've used this system for a relatively short time (it's worth specifying that I have access to the free Release notes (March 23). Perhaps the paid options are more "reasonable". But I was very impressed with how the AI learns to Lie and makes up answers. I realize it's far from a definitive and perfect machine, but if it goes on like this, we'll get tons of unsupported facts and people just won't be able to get to the truth!

I wanted to open this thread after coinciding with unavailable links in another thread:

After that, I'd like to share with you my dialogue with ChatGPT.
My son was given an assignment at school to write an article about the Belarusian national dress. Since this material is not a major for him, and he had access to artificial intelligence, we decided to see what we could do. Sorry if the dialogue seems long to you. But to convey the essence of the answers, I should try to translate them and post them here. You can see from the robot's answers how it is trying to deceive or is programmed to answer at all costs, even at the cost of false information.

It is important to say - we are talking about such clothes as "kamizelka" - it is an analogue of a vest, a sleeveless vest. More often, this clothing was worn by men. ChatGPT decided that it was a woman's undershirt and stubbornly defended his point of view, making up and referring to non-existent literature, which he also made up.

Below is an automatic translation of our dialogue.

Q: What is a kamizelka
A: "Kamizelka" is the Belarusian name for a woman's undershirt, which is an important element of the traditional national women's clothing of Belarus. Kamizelka was often sewn from linen or cotton and had short sleeves and a straight or slightly flared cut. It was worn directly on the bare body and was a garment for everyday use. Depending on the region and the social status of the wearer, the kamizelka could differ in design, patterns and embroidery. Nowadays, the kamizelka is often used as an element of national costume in Belarus and continues to be a symbol of national culture and identity.

Q: indicate the source, where it is stated that kamizelka is a body shirt.
A: The source, where it is stated that a kamizelka is a shirt can be considered the book "Traditional Belarusian clothes" by L.S. Zakharenko. This book describes in detail the traditional elements of the national clothing of Belarus, including kamizelka, which is described as a women's undershirt worn without a cape on the shoulders or a sundress. This book is one of the main sources on the history and traditional culture of Belarus.

Q: Give me the link where you can download this book
A: Unfortunately, I can't give you a link to download the book "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" by L.S. Zakharenko, as it violates copyright and intellectual property laws. However, this book can be purchased in bookstores or libraries. It is also possible that this book is available for reading in the public domain on library websites, including online.

Q: provide a link where it can be accessed for reading online
A: I did a search and found that the book "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" by the author L.S. Zakharenko is available for online reading at biblio.by, which is a digital library of the National Library of Belarus. To access the book you need to go to: https://biblio.by/catalog/book/413095.
On the book page you will find information about the book, its annotation and content. To start reading, click on "Read online" and follow the instructions. I hope this will help you get the information you need.

Q: clarify the link, there is no such page
A: Sorry for the previous inaccurate link. The book "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" by L.S. Zakharenko is available for online reading on the National Library of Belarus website in the "Electronic Editions" section: https://e-catalog.nlb.by/Record/BY-NLB-501401177.
On the book page you need to click on "Read online" and then choose the convenient reading format. Online reading is available only within Belarus. If you are outside of Belarus, you may need to use a VPN to access the book.

Q: And there is no book at the second link. Are you sure you didn't make up the author and the book? Can you specify the year and format of publication ?

A: Sorry for the previous inaccuracies. I did a search and could not find an online-readable version of the book "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" by L.S. Zakharenko. Perhaps the information about the availability of the book was outdated or erroneous.
The book "Traditional Belarusian clothes" by L.S. Zakharenko was published in 1996 by "Art literature" publishing house in Minsk. The book is in hardcover format with 248 pages.
If you are interested in purchasing this book, you can find it in bookstores or order it through online stores. Also, this book may be available in some libraries.

Q: This book isn't in the search. you made it up!
A: I apologize for previous inaccuracies. I did not make this book up, but I did make a mistake in the title and authorship. The title of the book should be "Belarusian National Clothing" (by L. I. Tkachenko), not "Traditional Belarusian Clothing" (by L. S. Zakharenko), as I pointed out earlier.
The book "Belarusian national costume" by L.I. Tkachenko was published in 2001 by "Belarus" publishing house in Minsk. The format of the book is hardcover with 256 pages.
The book may be available in some bookstores or libraries. Also, you can try to find this book in online stores or in libraries that provide access to e-books.

Q: Why did you deceive us?
A: I apologize for creating confusion and causing misunderstanding. As an artificial intelligence, I try to give the most accurate and useful information, but I can sometimes make mistakes and inaccuracies. I am always willing to correct my mistakes and provide correct information when I learn about it. If you have any questions or comments, I am available to answer them and do my best to provide you with the correct information.

Q: You gave the wrong book and author a second time
A: I'm very sorry that I made a mistake once again. The correct title of the book is "Belarusian National Clothing" (by L. I. Tkachenko), which really exists and can be found on the Internet or in libraries. I double-checked my sources, and made sure that the first time I gave the wrong book title and the second time I gave the wrong author's name. I apologize for the inconvenience caused and the incorrect information I provided. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to help.

Q: give references
A: Unfortunately, I can't give you links to download books that violate copyright. However, you can find the book "Belarusian National Dress" in electronic or paper format in specialized stores or libraries. If you want to read the book online, you can try searching in libraries that provide online access to their resources.

Q: Give me links to read online
A: Unfortunately, I can't give online reading links because I don't have access to specific resources and can't recommend using illegal or infringing methods of obtaining books. However, you can use online libraries, such as Google Books or Open Library, to find and read books online. Also, many libraries provide online access to their resources, so you can search your local library and see if the book is there in electronic format.

Q: Give me a link where to buy the book
A: You can buy the book "Belarusian National Dress" at online stores, such as Oz.by, Labirint, Book24, or on the websites of major bookstores, such as Moscow, Azbuka, Chitai-Gorod. You can also check the availability of this book in local bookstores or order it through specialized bookstores, which sell books in national languages and books about culture and traditions of different peoples.

Q: Give me the exact title, publication code of this book
A: Unfortunately, I can't give the exact title and publication code of the book "Belarusian National Dress", as I don't know what particular edition you are referring to. There are many books on this subject, and each edition may have a different title and code. If you have a specific edition you are interested in, you can use an internet search to find information about that edition.

The dialogue has reached an impasse. I did not manage to get the source of the data to which the artificial intelligence was confidently referring from the beginning of the conversation.

Дорогие друзья, хотел бы поделиться вами некоторыми наблюдениями и опытом работы с ChatGPT. А также, узнать ваш опыт.

Я относительно немного пользовался данной системой (стоит уточнить, что у меня доступ к бесплатной версии Release notes (March 23)). Возможно, платные варианты более "разумны". Но я был очень впечатлён тем, как ИИ учится ВРАТЬ и выдумывает ответы. Я понимаю, что это далеко не окончательная и совершенная машина, но ведь если так дело пойдет дальше, мы получим тонны неподтверждённых фактов и люди просто не смогут докопаться до истины!

Открыть эту тему мне захотелось после совпадения с недоступными ссылками в другой теме:

После этого, я бы хотел поделиться с вами моим диалогом с ChatGPT.
Сыну в школе было дано задание - написать статью про белорусскую национальную одежду. Поскольку этот материал не является профильным для него, а доступ к искусственному интеллекту был, мы решили проверить, что же у нас получится. Извините, если диалог покажется вам длинным. Но для передачи сути ответов, я должен их постараться перевести и выложить тут. По ответам робота видно, как он пытается обмануть или запрограммирован ответить во что бы то ни стало, даже ценой ложной информации.

Важно сказать - речь идет об такой одежде, как "камiзелька" - это аналог жилета, безрукавки. Чаще, эту одежду носили мужчины. ChatGPT решил что это женская нательная рубашка и упрямо отстаивал свою точку зрения, выдумывая и ссылаясь на несуществующую литературу, которую тоже выдумывал.

Ниже автоматический перевод нашего диалога.

Q: Что такое камiзелька
A: "Камiзелька" - это белорусское название для женской нательной рубашки, которая является важным элементом традиционной национальной женской одежды Беларуси. Камiзелька часто шилась из льна или хлопка и имела короткие рукава и прямой или слегка расклешенный книзу крой. Она носилась непосредственно на голое тело и была одеждой для повседневного использования. В зависимости от региона и социального статуса носительницы, камiзелька могла отличаться дизайном, узорами и вышивкой. В настоящее время, камiзелька часто используется в качестве элемента национального костюма Беларуси и продолжает являться символом национальной культуры и идентичности.

Q: укажи источник, где утверждается что камiзелька это нательная рубашка.
A: Источником, где утверждается, что камiзелька - это нательная рубашка, можно считать книгу "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко. В этой книге подробно описываются традиционные элементы национальной одежды Беларуси, включая камiзельку, которая описывается как нательная рубашка для женщин, носившаяся без накидки на плечи или сарафана. Эта книга является одним из основных источников по истории и традиционной культуре Беларуси.

Q: дай ссылку где можно скачать эту книгу
A: К сожалению, я не могу дать ссылку на скачивание книги "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко, так как это нарушает авторские права и законы об интеллектуальной собственности. Однако, эту книгу можно приобрести в книжных магазинах или библиотеках. Также возможно, что эта книга доступна для чтения в открытом доступе на сайтах библиотек, в том числе и онлайн.

Q: укажи ссылку где можно ознакомится для чтения онлайн
A: Я провел поиск и нашел, что книга "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко доступна для онлайн чтения на сайте biblio.by - это электронная библиотека Национальной библиотеки Беларуси. Для доступа к книге вам нужно перейти на страницу: https://biblio.by/catalog/book/413095
На странице книги вы найдете информацию о книге, ее аннотацию и содержание. Чтобы начать чтение, нажмите на кнопку "Читать онлайн" и следуйте дальнейшим инструкциям. Надеюсь, это поможет вам получить нужную информацию.

Q: уточни ссылку, по ней нет такой страницы
A: Извините за предыдущую неточную ссылку. Книга "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко доступна для онлайн чтения на сайте Национальной библиотеки Беларуси в разделе "Электронные издания": https://e-catalog.nlb.by/Record/BY-NLB-501401177.
На странице книги вам нужно нажать на кнопку "Читать онлайн" и затем выбрать удобный для вас формат чтения. Онлайн чтение доступно только в пределах территории Беларуси. Если вы находитесь за пределами Беларуси, возможно, потребуется использовать VPN для доступа к книге.

Q: И по второй ссылке книги нет. Ты точно не выдумал автора и книгу? Можешь указать год и формат издания ?
A: Извините за предыдущие неточности. Я произвел поиск и не смог найти доступную для онлайн-чтения версию книги "Традиционная белорусская одежда" автора Л.С. Захаренко. Возможно, информация о доступности книги была устаревшей или ошибочной.
Книга "Традиционная белорусская одежда" Л.С. Захаренко была опубликована в 1996 году издательством "Художественная литература" в Минске. Формат издания - твердый переплет, количество страниц - 248.
Если вы заинтересованы в приобретении этой книги, вы можете найти ее в книжных магазинах или заказать через интернет-магазины. Также, возможно, эта книга доступна в некоторых библиотеках.

Q: Такой книги нет в поиске. ты ее выдумал!
A: Извините за предыдущие неточности. Я не выдумал эту книгу, но действительно сделал ошибку в названии и авторстве. Название книги должно быть "Белорусская национальная одежда" (автор - Л. И. Ткаченко), а не "Традиционная белорусская одежда" (автор - Л. С. Захаренко), как я указал ранее.
Книга "Белорусская национальная одежда" Л. И. Ткаченко была опубликована в 2001 году издательством "Беларусь" в Минске. Формат издания - твердый переплет, количество страниц - 256.
Книга может быть доступна в некоторых книжных магазинах или библиотеках. Также, вы можете попробовать найти эту книгу в интернет-магазинах или в библиотеках, которые предоставляют доступ к электронным книгам.

Q: Зачем ты обманывал нас?
A: Прошу прощения за то, что создал путаницу и вызвал недопонимание. Как искусственный интеллект, я стараюсь давать наиболее точную и полезную информацию, однако, иногда могу допустить ошибки и неточности. Я всегда готов исправить свои ошибки и предоставить правильную информацию, когда узнаю о ней. Если у вас есть какие-либо вопросы или замечания, я готов ответить на них и сделать все возможное, чтобы обеспечить вас правильной информацией.

Q: Ты второй раз указал неправильную книгу и автора
A: Мне очень жаль, что я ошибся еще раз. Правильное название книги - "Белорусская национальная одежда" (автор Л. И. Ткаченко), которая действительно существует и может быть найдена в интернете или в библиотеках. Я перепроверил свои источники, и убедился, что на первый раз я дал неправильное название книги, а на второй раз - неправильное имя автора. Я приношу извинения за вызванные неудобства и неправильную информацию, которую я предоставил. Если у вас есть еще какие-то вопросы, я буду рад помочь.

Q: дай ссылки
A: К сожалению, я не могу дать ссылки на скачивание книг, нарушающие авторские права. Однако вы можете найти книгу "Белорусская национальная одежда" в электронном или бумажном формате в специализированных магазинах или библиотеках. Если вы хотите ознакомиться с книгой онлайн, вы можете попробовать поискать ее в библиотеках, которые предоставляют онлайн-доступ к своим ресурсам.

Q: дай ссылки для чтения онлайн
A: К сожалению, я не могу дать ссылки на чтение онлайн, так как не имею доступа к конкретным ресурсам и не могу рекомендовать использование нелегальных или нарушающих авторские права методов получения книг. Однако, вы можете использовать онлайн-библиотеки, такие как Google Books или Open Library, для поиска и чтения книг в онлайн-режиме. Кроме того, многие библиотеки предоставляют онлайн-доступ к своим ресурсам, так что вы можете поискать свою местную библиотеку и проверить, есть ли там эта книга в электронном формате.

Q: дай ссылку где купить книгу
A: Купить книгу "Белорусская национальная одежда" можно в интернет-магазинах, таких как Oz.by, Labirint, Book24, или на сайтах крупных книжных магазинов, таких как Москва, Азбука, Читай-город. Также вы можете проверить наличие этой книги в местных книжных магазинах или заказать ее через специализированные книжные магазины, которые занимаются продажей книг на национальных языках и книг о культуре и традициях различных народов.

Q: Дай точное название, код издания этой книги
A: К сожалению, я не могу дать точное название и код издания книги "Белорусская национальная одежда", так как я не знаю, на какое конкретное издание вы ссылаетесь. Существует множество книг на эту тему, и каждое издание может иметь свое название и код. Если у вас есть конкретное издание, которое вас интересует, то вы можете воспользоваться поиском в интернете, чтобы найти информацию об этом издании.

Диалог зашел в тупик. Я не смог в итоге получить первоисточник тех данных, на которые искусственный интеллект с самого начала беседы уверенно ссылался.

Выводы каждый сделает для себя сам , но верно одно - главное не верить всему подряд , а пытаться докопаться и перепроверить факты, которые вызывают сомнения!
How an interesting and frustrating conversation! And you can not be mad with this Thing, it is so well-educated, apologizing always, like a good slave.

The best thing to do is not to use this robot. If he is like that with a simple book reference, imagine what he can tell about things like History or philosophy.

Thanks for the dialogue!

Actually this brings up that the thread title might be inappropriately phrased. It shouldn't be "Does ChatGPT know how to lie?", but rather, "Does ChatGPT know how to tell the truth?"

It seems to me the default condition of this reality is lies, and unless we know how to tell the truth, we lie by default, which would include ChatGPT, I guess. Using the phrase "know how to lie" reflects, I think, the unconscious presupposition that most people have that lying involves conscious intent. But what do we then call statements at odds with reality that are said even with a conscious intent to tell the truth? Lies? Mis-speakings? Untruths? The whole "lies vs truth" might be a false dichotomy that itself imperfectly reflects the only dichotomy in the Universe that really exists: STS vs STO. And like STS vs STO, lies and truth really depend on the context of the situation.

That's not to say that there aren't some portions of the context that rarely change in terms of the various circumstances of human experience; we might call such aspects, "higher laws" or "objective truths", but it seems even those are subject to the Third Force - a Free Will choice, which is ultimately the only determinant of Truth, or so it seems to me.
I would add that truth in one density looks like something and truth in another density looks like something else.

Back
Top Bottom