Has Mercola Lost It?

dugdeep

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
I came across this on Twitter (X) when Erin Elizabeth of Health Nut News (Mercola's ex, if I'm not mistaken) posted that she's praying for Mercola and his family right now. I thought maybe it was a health emergency, but she linked to an article that seems much more bizarre. Apparently Mercola has been consulting with a psychic/channeler who has been advising him on both spiritual matters and on his business. Mercola has fired 3 or 4 of his top executives in his company, one of whom is his sister, and is now diverting the efforts of his company to publish a book based on these channelings.

Here's the article, quoted below:

Dr. Mercola consulted with psychic before axing top executives​

The CEO of Mercola and two other brand executives were terminated without warning last week, and video evidence suggests founder Dr. Joseph Mercola consulted with a psychic before making the move.

Top executives at Mercola, the brand founded by controversial figure Dr. Joseph Mercola, were terminated last week without notice, and evidence has surfaced that the doctor is taking direction from a man who claims to channel the voice of an “ancient and wise high-vibration entity from the causal plane.”

An email that appears to be written by Mercola and shared with a reporter for this story also includes language suggesting the firings were related to the executives’ religious beliefs. Mercola did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

Mercola products are sold online and in major retail chains, and the brand boasts an outsized presence in social media driven by Mercola’s outspoken views on health and medicine.

In hours of video discovered online, Mercola converses with a man going by the name Kai Clay who speaks as though he is the voice of the entity, referred to as “Bahlon.” Clay, with his eyes closed as if in trance, talks with Mercola about his business and spiritual matters in a rambling conversation that the doctor claims will be the basis of a series of books he plans to publish. In a video of Mercola that was shared with the brand’s employees Feb. 12, the doctor described a 12-book series as “a new beginning for the company” and declared that “my new goal is to reach billions, literally billions, around the world with a new paradigm of how to increase joy in their life.”

The Feb. 12 video came five days after three top executives — CEO Steve Rye; Chief Business Officer Ryan Boland; and Chief Editor Janet Selvig, Mercola’s sister — received termination letters signed by a Laura Berry, who had not worked at the company before but claimed in the letter she was the new Mercola CEO. In the Feb. 12 video, Mercola announced he will visit the offices on Feb. 14 with “my new CEO who's a brilliant, unbelievable woman who's going to take us to the next level,” but offers no name. He also promises a “surprise guest” who will be the company’s chief operating officer.

Mercola’s brand has found success online and in brick and mortar, including the massive Kroger chain — much of the appeal built on a deep social media presence with the doctor claiming 2 million followers. NHP Innovations LLC, the corporation behind the Mercola brand, employs 150 people in its Florida offices and contracts with dozens of co-manufacturers to produce more than 1,400 products. The brand has been praised for high quality and rigorous supply chain standards.

As a public figure, Mercola has attracted no shortage of controversy, with critics taking particular issue with his views on Covid vaccinations. Mercola was included in “The Disinformation Dozen” by the Center for Countering Digital Hate and The New York Times in 2021 labeled him “the most influential spreader of coronavirus misinformation online.” Mercola was banned from YouTube for his anti-vaccine views. He has 1.7 million followers on Facebook and 415,000 followers on Twitter.

Troubling signs​

In a Feb. 10 telephone interview, Selvig described the situation with her brother as evolving after she began noticing odd language in his emails in late 2023. She later learned Mercola had been consulting with Kai Clay as Bahlon for several months. Clay and the doctor were both advertised as speakers at an event on Nov. 19, 2023, at Sacred Space Miami. Clay is described as a “Master Trance Channel” on bahlon.com, where he offers readings. An affiliate program described on the site promises payment to followers who bring him more reading clients. Promotional postings on other sites claim he has worked with celebrities and “helps CEOs and entrepreneurs create competitive business strategies,” but no names are shared.

Selvig said she confronted her brother about the odd behavior on Jan. 31 after seeing hours of videos of his trance channeling sessions with Bahlon. “I just felt immediately that he was being taken advantage of,” Selvig said.

The confrontation did not go well. Selvig said her brother was very dismissive of her concerns and defended his work with Clay. “He thinks the book is going to save the world,” Selvig said. “He believes that he's [Mercola] a god and he's been reincarnated. And he even referred to himself as the new Jesus.”

On Feb. 2, Selvig was shown an email sent to a coworker from Mercola’s address announcing the doctor’s intention to fire Selvig, Rye, Boland and a fourth executive. The email offered the CEO spot to a different Mercola team member who later turned down the position. The email went on to explain “reasons for the mutiny,” describing the Catholic church as a “global cabal” that controls “50% of the world’s worth” and “created all the pain that most people experience.”

The email added that Rye, Boland, Selvig and the fourth executive have “strong commitments to the Catholic church.” “The group I am now working with is committed to liberating their wealth and control back to the people and give them back their freedom. I hope you will join me in this noble anti crusade against them,” the email reads.

The termination letters came five days later, sent to Selvig, Rye and Boland minutes apart in the evening of Feb. 7 and declaring their dismissals “effective immediately.” Signed Laura Berry, the termination letters state Selvig, Rye and Boland would not be allowed on Mercola property and their belongings would be shipped to them.

Reached Feb. 12, Boland said his termination came as a complete surprise. He had not been made aware of Mercola’s involvement with Clay and Bahlon. “No one told me anything. I just got a letter one day [that] I'm gone.” Boland said he is worried about the people still working at the company and can’t understand why he was fired four months short of his 10-year anniversary with the business. “You put this much into something and then you don't have it, in a day, for no reason.”

Selvig said she is also worried about what’s next for the company. “I've worked with my brother for almost 40 years,” she said. Among her concerns are that Clay is working with others to seize control of the brand Mercola built.

Outsider element​

Information on the new CEO, Laura Berry, has not been provided. A reporter for this story reached out via email to the address used in the termination letter, but it has not resulted in a reply. A voice message left at a phone number thought to belong to Berry was not returned. Messages and calls to email addresses, phone numbers and a LinkedIn profile associated with Clay were also not returned.

Information about Kai Clay is easier to find, but his actual identity is not clear. LinkedIn profiles for Clay and a Christopher Johnson share photos of the same man that appear to have been taken at the same time. The photos match the man identified as Clay at bahlon.com.

The Christopher Johnson profile includes claims of employment with “Whitehorn” dating to 2005. A website for Whitehorn Group describes “Chris’s approach to value creation” but offers little information and does not list a full name. Two people listed as Johnson connections on LinkedIn say they don’t know who he is. In the profile, Johnson claims to have been appointed to the U.S.-Afghan Women’s Council and describes the organization as being formed by Hillary Clinton, Laura Bush and Rula Ghani, the former first lady of Afghanistan. On her LinkedIn profile, a woman thought to be new Mercola CEO Laura Berry also claims to be on the U.S.-Afghan Women’s Council, but she describes it as established by former President George W. Bush and Afghan President Hamid Karzai. The council web page does not reference Johnson or Berry.

Natural Products Insider reached out to the U.S.-Afghan Women’s Council and Georgetown University where the council is based, but neither group immediately responded to emails regarding the council's association with Johnson and Berry.

The LinkedIn profile for Kai Clay declares he has been the owner of “Spiritual Mind” since 1999 and lists no other employment. Skills noted on the profile include “Spiritual Coaching” and “Spiritual Gifts.”

Promotional information on bahlon.com appears misleading. A headline on the site refers to LA Weekly labeling Bahlon as “the psychic’s psychic,” but a Google search turns up what appears to be a promotional piece on laweekly.com and not an article from the publication. Descriptions of Bahlon and the psychic services on other written sites appear similarly promotional.

The entity speaks​

What is clear is that Kai Clay/Chistopher Johnson has cultivated a deep relationship with Mercola. In hours of conversation, Clay advises Mercola on spiritual matters and also discusses the Mercola business. Between quasi-spiritual language like “all you're doing is returning to that which is you in the first place,” Clay talks to him about new enterprises and efforts Mercola could launch.

In the video sent to employees Feb. 12, Mercola spoke of a “new business partner” in Miami and referred to elaborate and ambitious plans, announcing, “We’re in the process of creating medical clinics over the entire country that's going to change the whole system.”

Selvig said she is worried Mercola is being isolated and manipulated. When she spoke to him after she saw the Feb. 2 letter discussing her termination and denouncing Catholicism, he dismissed her concerns. “He said, ‘Well, I could see how you would think that, but I'm fine. And I'm going to save the world with this. I don't know what's taking you so long to get on board and edit [the book]. I hear your concerns, but I am not going to debate you.’”
According to Selvig, Mercola exhorted her to “join this noble crusade.”

She did not sign on.

“I said, ‘I love you,’” she recalled. “And that was the end of that call.”

Ripple effects​

The impact of the upheaval beyond the Mercola supplement brand is difficult to predict. Yadim Medore, whose Pure Branding agency works with brands to understand and influence public perception, said the disruption at Mercola will ignite “a big media storm,” but there will likely be no effect on public trust in dietary supplements. Fringe beliefs abound in the industry and most consumers look past it, he suggested. “There's always been kind of these elements in the industry, and we know that people still have great trust and love for the industry,” Medore said.

It is unclear if Mercola’s followers will be troubled by news of his consultations with Clay and Bahlon, Medore added. Mercola has made persecution from mainstream medicine and media part of his narrative, and some followers will see criticism related to the Bahlon matters as further evidence of that persecution. “His followers are passionate,” Medore said.

After the mainstream media moves on from the story, the chatter may persist only in the supplement industry. “Certainly, all of us in the industry will wring our hands a bit,” Medore noted.

Organizations directly impacted by the shake-up at Mercola include the Organic & Natural Health Association, which counts Mercola’s company as a sponsor. Executive Director Karen Howard called the situation “a tragedy.” In a statement, she wrote that “Dr. Mercola, with a truly amazing management team, created a supply chain that currently stands as an industry bellwether. It is a supply chain that serves as a catalyst for growth in the regenerative and organic marketplace, and the participating companies are deeply committed to the health of the planet and its people.”
Howard’s organization, she said in the statement, stands by the principles the brand had embodied. “We have benefitted greatly from the leadership and quality standards of Dr. Mercola’s company. We will always be a champion for all of our remarkable member companies who adhere to our tenets. Our hearts go out to Dr. Mercola, his family, and our friends and colleagues who find themselves adversely impacted by the changes at hand.”

From the outside, it looks like Joseph Mercola is the victim of a new-age con and his entire business is threatened as a result, but obviously more information is needed. Mercola has always appeared to be a thorn in the side of the Official Narrative™, so maybe they finally found a way to silence him?

Hmmm that’s very interesting as I have noticed a bit of a change in Mercolas newsletters. I’m finding his research and reporting has changed a bit, I was wondering why the shift. Hard to describe exactly what it is but it seems like he is steering his whole ship in a different direction by back pedalling on a lot of previous research. My own thoughts on his new materials is that they should be extensions of the previous research or even caveats to be included rather than back pedals.

From the outside, it looks like Joseph Mercola is the victim of a new-age con and his entire business is threatened as a result, but obviously more information is needed. Mercola has always appeared to be a thorn in the side of the Official Narrative™, so maybe they finally found a way to silence him?

That was also my first thought. If we can rely on above article, it also looks like some 4d manipulation scheme found an entrance via his weak spots, and when he got into contact with that psychic he got all swallowed up by that guy's ego-feeding. Wow!

Did a search and found a landing page for booking private readings with Bahlon. It claims that articles have been published on him in Boston Herald, CBS, Fox, ABC, Market Watch, and NBC. If legacy media are OK with the channelings, it's probably a sign that it would be good to avoid. There's a webpage called Bahlon dot com where other legacy media are mentioned and an apparent quote from LA Weekly, 'Bahlon, the Psychic's Psychic is Hollywood's Newest Secret'. There's also a Bahlon fb page that has a bunch of reels where he is answering questions put to him.

One question was 'How to enhance spiritual abilities?'

The answer given: 'When a human is beginning to open to spiritual energy and to consider bringing that forward further into their own experience we always suggest that you begin with yourself. We are talking specifically about your own energy and your own truth. Your realm is filled with a lot of information, a lot of writing, a lot of experts, a lot of solutions, a lot of others who always want to show you the way. And what we often say is that the most power each of you have comes from deep inside yourself, your own truth, your own approach to your reality your own way of understanding what it is that is in front of you.'

Lots of red flags there and does seem to be very new agey.

The confrontation did not go well. Selvig said her brother was very dismissive of her concerns and defended his work with Clay. “He thinks the book is going to save the world,” Selvig said. “He believes that he's [Mercola] a god and he's been reincarnated. And he even referred to himself as the new Jesus.”

This brings to mind the scene from the movie, The Devil's Advocate, where Al Pacino - as the devil - declares: Vanity is my favorite sin.

Wow, I hope Mercola comes to his senses.

This brings to mind the scene from the movie, The Devil's Advocate, where Al Pacino - as the devil - declares: Vanity is my favorite sin.
That's what I was thinking too. It seems 'they' may have finally got to Mercola. It's unfortunate that they didn't have some protection within the company to stop something like this happening such as some kind of board where all members have to vote to fire people.

Here is Kai's YouTube channel, he also does a Spotify podcast with his 8y/o daughter.

This is the video describing how he became a 'open deep trance channel'. He said he had always been into meditation and one after a run he decided to meditate, he said he felt lots of energy come into his body that was new, powerful and that it felt 'so good'. Because he liked it, he let go. Later Bahlon introduced himself. He says both his parents are deep trance channels.

I checked out a couple of Q&A videos and there's nothing groundbreaking or much different from what you would get from a new age agony aunt.

Recently, through his newsletter, Mercola offered an interview with a long-time researcher/academic who was warning people that deep breathing exercises were harmful to the brain. And he wasn't talking about hyperventilating either. I didn't have time to listen, and unfortunately I didn't copy it in time. I thought I had enough time to listen the next day, but that window was closed. If anyone is a paid subscriber, maybe you can find that interview. Off hand, it doesn't seem like a credible statement, but this person seemed to be qualified. The interview was fairly recent, within the last two weeks or so. I emailed Mercola, asked him the name of the guest, but got no response.

Looks like a psyop to me. Certainly worked on arrogance and vanity. Jesus Really??? Oldest trick in the book. Where was his grounding and discernment amongst all his health and fitness knowledge?
Just proves how important Knowledge Protects as well as working on ourselves. 'Know Thyself" in all eventualities, to recognize when your are veering off tangent and remedy it quickly.
Next is alienating him from all his friends and those who can speak and correct his course. Very sad. We are all targets - and plenty of 'tempters' landed on our planet now.

I downloaded that article featuring Peter Litchfield, Ph.D. (who Mercola refers to as "one of the best breathing experts in the world") which Heather mentioned in post #7. Here it is in its entirety:

1708018070934.png
The interview above features Peter Litchfield, Ph.D., who is, in my view, one of the best breathing experts in the world. I’ve taken his breathing course, which gave me a deep appreciation for what he’s teaching. None of the breathing experts I’ve interviewed before compare to Litchfield when it comes to understanding respiratory physiology and its impact on your health.

According to Litchfield — who has decades of clinical training in both respiratory physiology and behavioral psychology — dysfunctional breathing habits are typically developed in response to some type of emotional trauma. It gets embedded in your brain circuits, and when you encounter this trigger, it activates them and lowers your carbon dioxide (CO2) level.
You may have been getting a hint over the last few months that I really value CO2. It's probably one of the most important molecules in your body. I'm going to go deep into this in the coming year, as strategies to increase your CO2 are probably some of the best things you can do to optimize your health.
The higher the level you can get within the biological normal optimal range, the better. Most of us are not even close to that. And, if you think you're already breathing well because you're belly breathing, deep breathing, or doing Buteyko breathing, you’re in for a surprise, because there’s a lot more to optimal breathing than learning to slow down, lessen or deepen your breathing.

Behavioral Physiology​

Litchfield has a long and varied professional history, but his primary interest is behavioral physiology, a field in which physiology is viewed as a programmable system. As he explains, your physiology self-regulates:
“It learns, in essence. It does something and there's a consequence, and based on that consequence it changes what it does. Physiology collects information, stores information. It uses information on all levels, not just on the level of the brain, but even on a cellular level. It's collecting and using data. That's what we call learning, ultimately; that is, physiology is behavioral, it’s psychology in action.
Physiology really is psychophysiological because it's a learning system ... One of the things that's important in the work that we do in breathing behavior analysis, based on this, is that people need to learn to form a working partnership with their bodies ...
The body is a learning, living system. The day the first cell came into existence, psychology was born. That is really such an important thing to understand. It's not just ‘you’ who's doing the breathing. Your body is doing the breathing. These aren't just genetic or organic considerations. The body gets programmed constantly by virtue of what it does, and what results from what it does, and breathing is no exception.
Look at the habits we learn in our lives. Look at my hands. I'm moving my hands right now. Look at my head and how I move it. I learned this unconsciously. I'm a whole collection of amazing habits, thousands of habits that come into play at just precisely the right place and time.
So, the right thing happens at the right time, and I don't even have to think about it. That's the nature of a habit. But they don't always go well, they can go very wrong.”

Habits Serve a Purpose​

As explained by Litchfield, habits always serve a purpose. You don't engage in a habit unless it serves you or your physiology in some way. This is why it’s so important to form a partnership with your body, to explore your habits, and how or why you learned them in the first place.
In a sense, you could say that your physiological system is part of your unconscious or subconscious mind, or an expression thereof. The task is to become conscious of what’s going on because your breathing habits may be unconsciously sabotaging your health.
“So, what we're really focused on in our work is observing and learning about breathing as a behavior,” Litchfield says. “We're not using breathing as a technique where you manipulate breathing so you can relax, or you manipulate breathing to achieve some otherworldly experience where you dissociate.
There are all kinds of reasons that people implement breathing techniques for presumed positive outcomes ... Our work isn't about breathing techniques.
Another thing that's very important, is that there is a trigger for every habit. Triggers are not there all the time. They show up at specific times. For example, in the statistics pointing the larger cities of the United States, like New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, where surveys suggest that about 60% of the ambulance runs are a result of symptoms brought on by dysfunctional breathing.
And it's not as if this person is breathing dysfunctionally all the time. It's that at that particular moment, they breathe this way, that then precipitates these symptoms.
They don't understand where these symptoms and deficits are coming from. They don't think of their breathing. They call 911, if you're in the United States, and they end up in [the] emergency [room] ... A lot of what our work is about is identifying these habits.”

What Is a Breathing Habit?​

So, how do you identify a breathing habit? There are many components to look at, including the following:
• Motivation — Behavior is motivated by something. There's motivation behind all habits, and any one of them can be tied up with your breathing.
• Behaviors — You need to identify the exact behavior involved. For example, you may be aborting the breath, meaning you inhale before you’ve fully exhaled.
In most cases, it’s rooted in a subconscious fear about not getting enough air. Whatever the cause, there’s motivation embedded in the behavior. Aborting the breath and inhaling early may serve the breather by reducing worry or anxiety about not getting enough air.
However, when you inhale too soon, air hunger sets in — a feeling like you can’t get enough air — and that can trigger the very anxiety the habit is trying to avoid.
“It's nothing to do with oxygen,” Litchfield says. “It's about claustrophobia. So, this person then develops a kind of claustrophobia that's now embedded in the breath.
You'll find some people constantly reaching, trying to get that one good breath. They may suffer with air hunger for an extended period of time. As they breathe out, they abort [the breath] constantly, trying to get a satisfying breath as soon as possible.”
• Outcomes — What are the outcomes of your learned breathing behavior, and how are those outcomes serving you? For example, when you start taking larger breaths, you may think you’re going to get more air.
You may feel like you’re in charge and in control, and that keeps you going. But what happens is you lose CO2 without realizing it. You may experience symptoms that you and your healthcare providers may misinterpret and attribute to unrelated causes.
In reality, you need far less air than you think. For every liter of blood you can move through your lungs, you can move 20 liters of air. But you only need 1 liter of air. So optimal breathing is usually not about getting enough oxygen. It's about regulating the CO2 concentrations in your extracellular body fluids, like blood plasma.

What Deep Breathing Does to Your Body​

Contrary to popular belief, deep breathing does not improve oxygenation. When you’re deep breathing, blood flow to your brain actually decreases as a result of a tightening of the blood vessels (vasoconstriction) in the brain.
Additionally, the cytoplasm in your red blood cells can become too alkaline and the hemoglobin carried by the red blood cells can become unfriendly, that is, less willing to give up the oxygen it carries to the tissues that need it. So, deep breathing actually contributes to an oxygen deficit already in progress as a result of vasoconstriction.
The vasoconstriction occurs because the primary vascular purpose of CO2 is vasodilation. When you have sufficient CO2 in your system, it will open your blood vessels much more effectively than nitric oxide, because nitric oxide has a dark side. It binds to Complex IV in your mitochondria and shuts down the electron transport chain. So, ideally, you want the vasodilation to be done by CO2 rather than nitric oxide.
So, the outcome of overbreathing is loss of blood in the brain, loss of oxygen, loss of glucose and electrolyte changes in the brain that then lead to setting the stage for lactic acidosis in neurons (brain cells). “Most people, lay or professional, have no idea that this is going on,” Litchfield says.
These brain changes, in turn, tend to trigger disinhibition where emotions — oftentimes anger or fear — are discharged. This release of emotions can serve you by allowing you to cope with a challenging situation or environment. Overbreathing (breathing that results in a CO2 deficit) leads to an outcome (a reinforcement) that serves you and is thus a “solution” to a perceived problem, a successful coping mechanism.
“Maybe they've come from a very traumatic kind of a background, and the only way they could really cope with it is to get angry,” Litchfield says. “But usually there is fear operating in the background ...
There are things like this that, when you overbreathe, you get a symptom, a physiological change, and people have learned to respond to that change in their own unique ways. Some people, for example, when they get dizzy because they lose oxygen in the brain, when they overventilate, feel like they're losing control and freak out. They can’t understand what's going on.
They can't focus. They don't remember what's happening. They feel unable to function. They're on the verge of a panic attack. The next person goes, ‘Hey, this is kind of cool. I really like this.’ They have a whole different response to it. So, one of the things we're always looking at are how people relate to the physiological changes brought on by breathing.”

Automatic Reflexes Regulate Your CO2 Level​

As explained by Litchfield, your CO2 level is regulated by automatic reflexes. There are receptors in the brain and in the arterial system that are sensitive to CO2 concentration and to the pH of various extracellular fluids, such as blood plasma and interstitial fluids (surrounding cells). There are receptor sites in the arterial system which are sensitive to oxygen concentration but, surprisingly, not in the brain.
This system wasn't designed to get out of whack just because you get stressed. Provided you haven’t learned bad breathing habits, your breathing optimizes respiration regardless of most circumstances., e.g., while talking.
As explained by Litchfield, breathing regulates acid-based physiology1 in extracellular body fluids. Your body must have the capacity to change your pH rapidly, almost immediately, because if it didn't, you would be in serious trouble and in could even die. Although bad breathing habits can quickly bring on fainting, for example, there are safety mechanisms that protect us.
“There's a simple little equation ... that addresses how blood pH is regulated by the relationship of carbon dioxide concentration with bicarbonate concentration; 'together they regulate acid-based balance from breath to breath.'
The carbon dioxide is controlled by the way you breathe. So as soon as you start to take over breathing, you take the control away from the reflexes, the result of which can be determined by doing a breathing behavior analysis.
You might be OK because in the background breathing and respiration are being coordinated properly, but maybe not, like when I'm eating and talking, I'm breathing. They have to be coordinated and linked. This is behavior. They get linked.
Sometimes they get out of sync and then people are really in trouble. They're struggling whenever they eat. Their breathing is all wrong. When they're talking, the breathing goes wrong.
They get real lightheaded when they're talking because they're overventilating. They're constantly trying to take another breath while they're talking to people ... What's happening is that they're losing carbon dioxide. They're getting completely disoriented, can't function ...”

Do You Overbreathe?​

Symptoms of low CO2 (hypocapnia), caused by overbreathing, include but are not limited to:
HeadacheNausea and vomiting
Abdominal symptoms and bloatingFatigue
Muscle pain and weakness, tetany, hyperreflexia, spasm, tingling in the hands and lips, numbness, trembling and difficulty swallowingCardiovascular changes like palpitations, tachycardia, arrhythmias, angina, ECG abnormalities
Cognitive changes, including attention deficit, difficulty learning, poor memory and brain fogSymptoms involving consciousness, such as dissociation, disconnecting from your environment, disconnecting from people, fainting and hallucinations
Emotional changes associated with the reduction of blood flow in the brainPersonality and self-esteem changes
If you frequently suffer any of these symptoms, it is possible that you may be struggling with hypocapnia, meaning low CO2 levels, and the No. 1 reason for hypocapnia is a poor breathing habit in response to all kinds of habit triggers, such as stress. The solution in this case is to identify the faulty habitual breathing behaviors and then correct them.

Optimizing Your CO2 by Relearning Better Breathing Habits​

You can very accurately measure your CO2 concentration with a tool called a capnometer, the wellness-educational version of it known as a CapnoTrainer:
“Being able to measure carbon dioxide is obviously the best of all worlds. There are ways you can look at overbreathing without a capnometer, but it's quite limited. It may be that you're not aware of how you're being influenced, so it's very difficult without a capnometer or CapnoTrainer.
But ultimately, the idea is not to need technology. The idea is you understand that you've learned habits and that you identify what those habits are, their components, their motivation, their outcomes, your belief systems and all kinds of things around it so that you can learn about who you are from a breathing perspective.
It's not about a breathing technique. This is about learning techniques, about how you become a different being when it comes to the way that you breathe, and your habits optimize respiration, your habits optimize acid-based physiology.
If you want to have your CO2 looked at from a perspective of habits that you may have learned, you can rent a device, which makes it affordable for many people. A CapnoTrainer is different in a certain way than a capnometer. A capnometer technically is used in medicine, in surgery and in critical care, emergency medicine and so on.
But a CapnoTrainer is used to learn about your breathing. How are you breathing? How is it affecting you? What habits do you have? How can you learn new habits? That kind of thing. So you can rent these devices and you can also buy them. There are different versions of them.
There are professional, basic and personal versions of them. They're all software-based, and you can operate these instruments on your cell phone and on tablets and Apple computers, PC computers, whatever, and really get to know your breathing in detail ...
What breathing behavior analysts do is they help you do that. Now, however, you can learn to do it on your own. We have a book out that can walk you through that ... The idea is to try to help you optimize your functioning. So many people just don't realize that they're breathing dysfunctionally and they attribute their symptoms to all kinds of other sources completely unrelated to breathing.
And so do the health care professionals because they don't know about it either. They're trying to figure out where these symptoms are coming from, but they don't think about the breathing ...
The breathing techniques out there generally don't address habits. They may, by accident, address a habit and then give credit to the technique rather than understanding it's about some kind of embedded learning that has occurred in the process — that fear was addressed, for example.
But they may think, well, it's the slowness of breathing. Breathing slow is really good. And so it's [about the] parasympathetic nervous system, and that's why it worked, when in reality what it was about was that you lost your fear associated with the end of the exhale, for example, because of the technique they were using.
But people aren't focusing on it that way ... They aren't looking at the experiential side of it, which is key to understanding breathing behavior.”

Trust Your Body​

Again, your body knows how to breathe. The only time you get into problems is when you unconsciously override it with a learned breathing habit that throws the system out of whack. So, trust your body.
“That's totally fundamental,” Litchfield says. “That's what we work on — helping people build trust in that system. And that's what I was talking about at the very beginning about partnering with your body. That partnership is vital.
You're not a victim of your body. You're in the body. This is who you are. You own this. You own your breathing. You're not a victim of your breathing. And that's often a problem. People think they're a victim of all of this.”

Why Most Breathing Techniques Don’t Address Your Health Problems​

While we’ve already mentioned this, it bears repeating. What Litchfield is talking about is not learning a specific set of breathing techniques. It’s not about the technique per se. It’s about understanding why your breath gets dysregulated and how new habits can be learned. In regard to the Buteyko technique, for example, he comments:
“Most issues around breathing, when it comes to hypocapnia, are acute. It isn't chronic. Buteyko [breathing] is really limited to [chronic overbreathing]. Secondly, you have to ask yourself, where did that hypocapnia come from in the first place? Why is this person breathing like that, that you now have to train them to habituate to a higher level of CO2? How did that happen? What's the history of that?
And if the history is that this is a way I can control my wife, if you're overventilating so you can get angry to control your environment, what good is Buteyko [breathing] going to do? That person isn't going to raise their CO2 level. They want it down so they can get angry.
So you have to address the motivation behind the behavior and what the outcomes are that sustain it. Just because you can habituate to a higher level of CO2 doesn't mean you've addressed the problem. The problem is the habit. You want to identify the habit, help the person through it, help them understand where it came from and what they can do about it.
And that may have a significant philosophical impact on them as well, their belief system about their physiology, the trust in their system and so on. So the [Buteyko breathing technique is] limited because you're not addressing history of the breathing. You're not addressing any of these various factors that we've been talking about. You're just looking at the CO2 level — ‘My god, it's too low. We need to raise it.’
Another problem with Buteyko is that they don't measure it. Some do, but it’s not part of their curriculum. We have a lot of people who graduated from our program who are Buteyko workers and they measure it. When you think you've been successful with your client, you need to see that the CO2 actually went up.
If it didn't go up, you weren't successful. So it's very important to be able to assess it right from the start because Buteyko, when they do their assessment, they're looking at correlational findings ...
On the other hand, they really do a great job because when people get ... comfortable with allowing the breath to sit out there for long periods of time, they can build trust, and they may find the reflex in it. Identifying the reflex is what ultimately builds trust because you can feel it kick in.
If you can find that reflex, then you've won a significant part of the battle. And there's a good chance that can happen because of what the Buteyko people do. Desensitization to the transition time eliminates anxiety and air hunger during the transition time by doing Buteyko, so that's helpful.”

The Breathing Behavior Analysis Procedure​

In the course I took with Litchfield, he provided many impressive practical examples. One was of a young woman, about 19 years old, whose CO2 level dramatically decreased when they began her breathing interview. Among the symptoms she’d indicated on the checklist was that she would get dizzy a lot, and when she gets these dizzy spells, she’d become frightened.
“So, we're talking and I see her CO2 level go down. I say, ‘Are you feeling dizzy right now?’ And she says, ‘Yeah, as a matter of fact, this is exactly how I feel in these kinds of situations.’ ‘Well, look at your CO2 level. Look what happened here.’
This is what we call transactional psychophysiology. We're interacting with the person around their physiology, and they're seeing what's happening while they're behaving in the way they are. So, we explore that together. And then we do all kinds of testing together depending on who the person is and what the issues are.
A good example might be, we'll have them overbreathe on purpose. Now, this isn't as simple as it sounds. You need to do it the right way. There's a real right way to do it, and there are wrong ways to do it. We have someone overventilate on purpose. And what happens when you do that, they start to get symptoms, and they start to get deficits, and they're there and they're focusing on their experience.
They're not talking. I'm the one who's doing the talking. I'm asking them questions to think about the answers, not to interact with me, but just to think about the answers to the questions.
I'll ask questions like, ‘Are there any emotions coming up right now? Are there any memories that are being triggered right now? Does this remind you of anything in your current life circumstances? Does this remind you of something that happened to you in the past?’
And I have a lot of information before I do this. I have this form. So they're not just random questions. They're really specific. They're about that person and their lives and what we've uncovered together. And then what often happens is, they're trapped. They can't get out. They're breathing that way and the CO2 level simply does not come up no matter what they do. And this is what happens in their real life situation when they get trapped ...
As I work with them, I use certain kinds of experiential paradigms that I implement so they can raise the CO2 level. The symptoms go away and they're amazed. Someone will say something like ... ‘My God, it seemed like I wasn't even breathing. I feel so much better and I was hardly breathing at all. How can that be?’
It's because their belief system was that they weren't getting enough oxygen and couldn't possibly be OK breathing with these very small kinds of breaths.
In fact, this is what allowed the trap to break open so they could allow those reflexes to operate, to trust the system so they get to where they need to be from a respiratory point of view. And this may all happen in one short session, if you know what you're doing.”

A Quick Rescue Method​

A good test that can tell you if your symptoms are due to a CO2 deficiency is to breathe into a paper bag. If the symptoms disappear, you know hypocapnia and hence overbreathing is the problem. Never use a plastic bag, as it can cause suffocation. Always use a paper bag, about 6 inches by 15 inches. If it’s too small or too large, it won’t work.
Place the paper bag over your nose and mouth and hold it in place with your hands as you breathe into it. The CO2 will accumulate in the bag, thereby raising your CO2 level as you breathe it in.
“I remember a woman we met in Georgia, in the United States, my partner Sandra and I. She had this irritable bowel syndrome kind of problem with major anxiety around it, so she wanted some advice. There wasn’t much I could offer her, but one of them was a paper bag.
About four months later she wrote back and said her whole life had completely changed. She no longer had to suffer with these episodes. She hadn't had any for months, and she couldn't believe it. But of course, she was dependent on the bag. She wasn't learning a new habit. She just grabbed the bag when she needed it, unfortunately.”

Negative Practice​

Another simple technique, which is part of the core of Litchfield’s program, is something called “negative practice.” Litchfield explains:
“What you do is you become an expert at performing the bad habit. So you're not a victim of the bad habit. You own it. You take ownership of it because you can do it whenever you want to. And if you can do it whenever you want to, you can disengage it.
So you learn to do it, disengage it, do it, disengage it. And there are specific ways of doing this. We use biofeedback in this whole process. That's an important part of it. So, then you're not afraid anymore of the symptoms because you can turn them on, you can turn them off, you don't really care. It's not a big deal.
In that process, you get highly reinforced. Again, that's how physiology works. The outcome of what it does determines what it can do within the potential it has. The idea is that there's a positive outcome for restoring good respiration.
On the other hand, it can be much more challenging because if someone is overbreathing to get angry at their husband, that’s a more complex issue. You have to address that. So it can be very simple or it can be quite complex, but nevertheless, it works wonders for people.”

Download this Article Before it Disappears​

Download PDF (I just noticed this link still works)

More Information​

To learn more, visit:
  • Better Physiology Ltd. at betterphysiology.com for information about and purchase of CapnoTrainer instrumentation for personal and professional applications
  • RespiMatters at www.CapnoLearning.org for information regarding online breathing behavior analysis services available worldwide
  • Professional School of Behavioral Health Sciences at www.bp.edu and www.e-campus.bp.edu for information regarding professional training in breathing behavior analysis
  • Breathing Science Inc., a nonprofit publisher, at www.theBSJ.org, where you can purchase the book “CapnoLearning: An Introductory Guide”

Last edited:
Yeah the breathing article is one of the back pedals I was referring to. I haven’t dissected it (just skim read it) but it seems to invalidate breathing methods and interventions way too much. Instead I think it would be more helpful to say as well as learning different breathing techniques it is helpful to understand your breathing habits and triggers.

Just thinking on this a bit more is that the problem of not breathing enough is also important as well as the overbreathing problem. There are a heck of a lot of people who stop breathing frequently and I think many breathing training methods help to just remember to breathe in the first place.

These are my emerging impressions as his articles are coming through to my inbox:
My problem with some of Mercolas recent articles is that he has this valuable new information to add to his database but swings so much in favour of the new thing and discredits the old in his personal take on it. Rather than synthesising the information. Because the article and information from its source is valuable but he seems to be getting on different bandwagons. There in may lie a clue into how he is operating in his mind these days.

It’ll be interesting to see what he continues to promote as he moves forward. But I most certainly have started to become more critical of his articles recently.

It also brings to mind (Pacino again), where Michael Corleone is telling Tom Hagen "if anything is certain, if history has taught us anything, you can kill anyone" I used to subscribe to Mercola's newsletter back in the day before internet. He seemed grounded and had some very good, sensible health info for so long. It seems a huge leap to turn into Jesus and claim intent on saving the world with the help of a "high vibrational entity from the causal plane". How does that happen, for someone to fall so quickly? Is it a vulnerable ego, or does someone/something surreptitiously mess with the mind first so it is primed for influence by such madness? I know we are always vulnerable to attack, but finding this site back in the late 90's helped to keep me continually questioning and on my toes much more. There was a time I sat awestruck before a good deal of channeled clownery. (smh)🤡:pinocchio:

Good grief this Bahlon character is everywhere. I see even featuring on 26 January in a podcast on New Zealand radio station iheart radio.
3 Key Highlights

1. Light Language is an ancient language from the Cosmos. The language of light is from a direct solid-state connection with Universal Source that speaks to the soul at vibration levels that are not typically understood by the mind. It is the language of the Universe.

2. Everything comes down to making a choice. How you react to what it is that is coming to you. The choice comes from the place that you are.

3. We always enjoy sharing about the truth of the future.
Then of course they provide a link where you can book a personal session with the dude.
I have no idea what the key highlights mean 🫤

Wow,

This is a bit shocking to learn, although, now playing devil's advocate (no pun intended), I suppose at some point, the more you dig through he physical body, the faster you're to find something that isn't physical that is tied to all the workings of the body, and perhaps that is what dragged him into a new age kind of approach?

Although, as I write that, it sounds not that plausible. It reminds me of that story that Diana W Pasulka told about her friend having a sudden conversion, it has that level of shock value, it feel so drastic, but I suppose, all of us knew his public persona, no one really knew what might've been going on in the background of his personal life.

When I read this earlier I had trouble processing it. Dr. Mercola was one of the main guiding lights during the COVID hoax, and he is one of the most thorough researchers I know. In fact, I have had some success with "normies" linking to his articles and sharing his books because he is so well-versed and thorough in his presentations. I remember him from way back too, one of the very first to promote natural remedies for common maladies back in the 90's.

Unfortunately, this turn of events will have a ricochet effect that may undo all of the good that he has done, especially in the minds of normal people who may have recently come across him and his complete, nuanced viewpoints on today's medical malpractice system. I know people personally who will read dugdeep's linked article and point to Mercola's "lunacy" to invalidate every single inroad into true understanding they were making because of him, and they will instead double-down on the MSM drivel - and not listen to people like me ever again.

So I have to wonder: did Dr. Mercola get "beamed" - or, replaced with a clone?? I write that with tongue planted firmly in cheek, waiting for the aliens to remove it without spilling a single drop of blood. I mean, who and/or WHAT is TRUE anymore?? I simply can't understand how a man of such demonstrated principle for over thirty years can "lose it" virtually overnight without some kind of external influence overriding his senses.

That makes him and RFK Jr. from Biden's infamous "Disinformation Dozen" list who may now, in fact, be actual disinformation artists in some areas. Has anyone here been watching Sayer Ji of GreenMedInfo lately to see if he's suddenly shedding cockroaches with every step?? Who's next???

Back
Top Bottom