How’s your sleep lately?

nicoleblalonde

The Force is Strong With This One
Hi everyone,
I’m curious to know how people are sleeping lately?
I’ve noticed my sleep has changed a lot over the past few years and I’ve started noticing some correlations as well.
I have difficulty falling asleep during the New Moon and sometimes the Full Moon. I have a disturbed sleep during solar storms/CME type activity.
Also, are there any remedies or exercises that you do to improve your sleep?
I have not tried EE before bed mainly because I have kids and can really only do that without interruption during the day when they are at school.
I have tried some various herbs, as well as melatonin. Sometimes it helps and other times it has no effect.

The year before last, I had problems with allergies and breathing. I didn't sleep for 12 days (I probably managed to fall asleep during the night, but I would wake up in fear if I wasn't breathing). When I managed to solve that problem, I realized that sleeping problems will recur, sometimes it's stress, the full Moon or some hormonal changes, and that the only way to solve the feeling of discomfort or worry about not being able to fall asleep is to find a constructive suggestion for what to do if you can't fall asleep.
So as soon as I see that I can't fall asleep, I read romance novels or pray. When there is no resistance, there is no pressure, IMO.

A few things you didn't mention. GABA-Calm before bed will help relax you if the moon excites your thinking so much you can't sleep well. There are tablets that are like mints that you can take 30 minutes before bed. Also taking a tablespoon of glycine with warm water and also magnesium supplements will also let your body know it's time to sleep. Do you eliminate blue screens before bed, like no cellphone and computer use?

Last edited:
Like what's been reported in How Are You Feeling? there's been a huge increase in sleep disturbances as of late and have had this going on for the past few months as well. Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to fall asleep again. So after some discussion about this, I started investigating ways of getting my sleep back in order again.

After listening to this interview with Matt Walker and Andrew Huberman realized that anyone who can fall asleep at night without much issue but is continuously waking up in the middle of the night and not falling back asleep is going through a deep sleep cycle of about 4 hours, where a person can still relatively function, but not a REM sleep cycle, where one dreams but also when memories and emotions are processed. He gives a number of tips and suggestions.

Walker mentioned some of the 'dangers' of melatonin supplement usage, the least of which being that the amounts suggested on the supplements can be off in terms of accuracy, but that tart cherry juice has been shown to be more effective than magnesium and melatonin supplements at helping to improve sleep.

I'm still going through the research, but it's been a week so far and my sleep has been getting much better. Might want to give it a try and see if it helps. I was taking different sleep aids and nothing seemed to work, but introduced tart cherry juice before bed (about 1/4 cup in water). Although its effectiveness also depends on whether I ate inflammatory foods that day, how late into the night I smoke, whether I'm in front of the computer just before bed and what I spend time thinking about before bed.

Apparently, tart cherries are high in melatonin, so that could be the reason why it works, although the jury is out as to whether it's that alone or there is a synergistic effect because they are high in phenolic acids and flavonoids which act as a natural inhibitor of inflammation. Another study showed a mixture of this juice with a few other types actually increased vagal tone and parasympathetic activation during sleep while simultaneously downregulating sympathetic arousal.

The tart cherry juice beverage was associated with statistically significant pre- to post-treatment improvements on all sleep variables. When compared to placebo, the study beverage produced significant reductions in insomnia severity (minutes awake after sleep onset); no such improvements were observed for sleep latency, total sleep time, or sleep efficiency compared to placebo. Effect sizes were moderate and in some cases negligible. The results of this pilot study suggest that CherryPharm, a tart cherry juice blend, has modest beneficial effects on sleep in older adults with insomnia with effect sizes equal to or exceeding those observed in studies of valerian and in some, but not all, studies of melatonin, the two most studied natural products for insomnia. These effects, however, were considerably less than those for evidence-based

One laboratory study has demonstrated a positive linear relationship between the level of anthocyanins in cherries and the degree of protection from oxidative stress in neuronal cells.3 Levels of anthocyanins in tart cherries have been found to exceed those found in sweet cherries and other fruits.4 Tart cherries in particular also have high levels of anti-inflammatory substances3 at a level comparable to a number of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory products.1 In the few human experiments conducted with tart cherries, a cherry juice blend (CherryPharm, Inc., Geneva, NY, USA) was found to decrease oxidative stress in healthy older adults,5 enhance muscle recovery following a single bout of strength training in a randomized clinical trial,6 and decrease inflammation and oxidative stress following marathon running.

Finally, this study was not designed to address mechanism of action. If the mechanism for sleep enhancement is melatonin, perhaps anecdotal reports of sleep improvements by college and professional athletes is related to circadian regulation of sleep afforded by melatonin. This is a testable hypothesis. Similarly, a study undertaken with the study beverage in a population with diagnosed circadian rhythm disturbances would be informative. Alternatively, given that several pro-inflammatory cytokines are involved in the regulation of sleep,9 the anti-inflammatory properties of tart cherries may be a mechanism of action.

I have trouble staying asleep, wake up for as much as 2 hours with so much going on to consider. What I do when I realize I HAVE to fall asleep is an old exercise from yoga, or other relaxation training. Starting in your toes, you take yourself down to the toes and turn of the lights, as if the body were a building and you, a night watch man or woman in this case, amble through from toes, to instep to heel to ankle and so on up through pelvis and torso to the heart level and then down the arms, up into the head, leaving a light burning in the heart area. It does work.

Otherwise, I have learned to notice tense muscle areas and change them as I go through the whole body, imagining or conveying to that centre of nervous activity that it needs to let go, feel heavy and let the bed/pillow hold the WHOLE weight of that part of you. This reminds me of another new thread, posted by Placematt, 'What is safety', this past Monday morning. It seems like a cross references with your question, nicolelalonde, as this thing of relaxing muscles relates to whatever is making you/us feel unsafe and tense.

A dance teacher used to say without identifying the feeling of relaxed muscles, she would have spent the night with her head never touching the pillow.

A few things you didn't mention. GABA-Calm before bed will help relax you if the moon excites your thinking so much you can't sleep well. There are tablets that are like mints that you can take 30 minutes before bed. Also taking a tablespoon of glycine with warm water and also magnesium supplements will also let your body know it's time to sleep. Do you eliminate blue screens before bed, like no cellphone and computer use?
Thank you, I will look into the GABA calm and glycine, I haven’t heard of either of them. I was taking magnesium but I think I need to try a different one because it affects my bowels. Yes, I have been putting the phone away usually at least an hour before bed. I usually read before sleeping if I’m not too tired.
The weird thing is some nights I sleep like a log which is why I was wondering what other factors besides internal could be at play and what others are experiencing.

Like what's been reported in How Are You Feeling? there's been a huge increase in sleep disturbances as of late and have had this going on for the past few months as well. Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to fall asleep again. So after some discussion about this, I started investigating ways of getting my sleep back in order again.

After listening to this interview with Matt Walker and Andrew Huberman realized that anyone who can fall asleep at night without much issue but is continuously waking up in the middle of the night and not falling back asleep is going through a deep sleep cycle of about 4 hours, where a person can still relatively function, but not a REM sleep cycle, where one dreams but also when memories and emotions are processed. He gives a number of tips and suggestions.

Walker mentioned some of the 'dangers' of melatonin supplement usage, the least of which being that the amounts suggested on the supplements can be off in terms of accuracy, but that tart cherry juice has been shown to be more effective than magnesium and melatonin supplements at helping to improve sleep.

I'm still going through the research, but it's been a week so far and my sleep has been getting much better. Might want to give it a try and see if it helps. I was taking different sleep aids and nothing seemed to work, but introduced tart cherry juice before bed (about 1/4 cup in water). Although its effectiveness also depends on whether I ate inflammatory foods that day, how late into the night I smoke, whether I'm in front of the computer just before bed and what I spend time thinking about before bed.

Apparently, tart cherries are high in melatonin, so that could be the reason why it works, although the jury is out as to whether it's that alone or there is a synergistic effect because they are high in phenolic acids and flavonoids which act as a natural inhibitor of inflammation. Another study showed a mixture of this juice with a few other types actually increased vagal tone and parasympathetic activation during sleep while simultaneously downregulating sympathetic arousal.

Thank you, I will listen to the video. I’ll check my health food store for the tart cherry juice. I just started a juice that I made with fresh ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, lemon and honey, which is supposed to help with inflammation, sleeping, immune system and metabolism but it’s only been 2 days so too early to tell if it helps.

I have trouble staying asleep, wake up for as much as 2 hours with so much going on to consider. What I do when I realize I HAVE to fall asleep is an old exercise from yoga, or other relaxation training. Starting in your toes, you take yourself down to the toes and turn of the lights, as if the body were a building and you, a night watch man or woman in this case, amble through from toes, to instep to heel to ankle and so on up through pelvis and torso to the heart level and then down the arms, up into the head, leaving a light burning in the heart area. It does work.

Otherwise, I have learned to notice tense muscle areas and change them as I go through the whole body, imagining or conveying to that centre of nervous activity that it needs to let go, feel heavy and let the bed/pillow hold the WHOLE weight of that part of you. This reminds me of another new thread, posted by Placematt, 'What is safety', this past Monday morning. It seems like a cross references with your question, nicolelalonde, as this thing of relaxing muscles relates to whatever is making you/us feel unsafe and tense.

A dance teacher used to say without identifying the feeling of relaxed muscles, she would have spent the night with her head never touching the pillow.
I notice this too, sometimes holding excess tension while lying in bed! It does help to consciously relax the muscles for sure.

Sometimes during a full moon I struggle to fall asleep. It’s like an agitated or restless feeling in my limbs, if this happens I do a bit of stretching to release the agitated energy but can’t say I’ve found a solution that works every time. Usually I fall asleep quite easily, so yeah it’s an interesting observation that others also have this during a full moon, is it common?

Sometimes during a full moon I struggle to fall asleep. It’s like an agitated or restless feeling in my limbs, if this happens I do a bit of stretching to release the agitated energy but can’t say I’ve found a solution that works every time. Usually I fall asleep quite easily, so yeah it’s an interesting observation that others also have this during a full moon, is it common?
Yeah, I remember being 'derailed' many times during a full moon. It amplifies negativity. It's like sugar for long-buried programs and thought loops!

Hi everyone,
I’m curious to know how people are sleeping lately?
I’ve noticed my sleep has changed a lot over the past few years and I’ve started noticing some correlations as well.
I have difficulty falling asleep during the New Moon and sometimes the Full Moon. I have a disturbed sleep during solar storms/CME type activity.
I have not tried EE before bed mainly because I have kids and can really only do that without interruption during the day when they are at school.
I have tried some various herbs, as well as melatonin. Sometimes it helps and other times it has no effect.
You can also try full spectrum CBD-Oil before going to bed. For me it’s been the best remedy.

Overall my sleep is pretty solid - I hardly wake up at night. Only thing is length, it is usually a bit on the lean side, but entirely self-inflicted. i think I need at least 7 hours (up to 8) to feel totally rested, but that happens only on weekends. I usually feel tired around 6pm, could easily go to bed and sleep, but by 8am I take off again like a rocket, and then I struggle to go to bed (often around 11pm). I fall asleep fairly quickly and my alarm goes off at 5:30am. Rinse, repeat!

However, I don’t seem to be able to remember my dreams anymore. I know that I dreamt, but there is only a very dim recollection, no details, mostly just … well, that I had some sort of a dream. I used to have very vivid dreams and was easily able to remember, not anymore (for probably about the last 10 years?) Kinda sucks …

Over the past few years (about 2 years) I've noticed that I sleep less well during new moons than during full moons, whereas before I used to suffer from a recurrent feverishness during full moons, as many people do. According to the astrological cycles of the moon, the new moon corresponds to a "crisis of consciousness" and the full moon to "material fulfillment". Which makes sense to me. Well, I think it makes more sense to sleep badly on the new moon. And above all, it confirms for me an evolution in my "spiritual" sensitivity.

I take 12mg of melatonin since 2 years. I can not stop taking it. Who else? Well, i was even taking more than 12mg (16mg i was taking) but i lowered my intake as i was kinda lethargic.

Back
Top Bottom