Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Have been following the thread and started trying the 12% Lugols last week and a half.
This may be too soon to say what all the effects are conclusively, but it does seem to be having quite an impact.
The biggest one seems to be that of detox.

I've run a bunch of tests in the past that showed 0 heavy metals, and have never had any reaction (good or bad) to DMSA.
Last week (after a few days of just 1 drop a day of 12% Lugols) I was getting increased cognative and neurological problems (nerve tingling, loosing words, some balance problems), and considering the displacement of mercury/lead tried EDTA/DMSA and ALA.
This cleared things up (and included some pretty heavy detox symptoms - which where new despite having taken those things before in the same dosage a few times).

So wanted to add a note of caution for anyone who is trying the iodide to be watchful for heavy metals, and perhaps do a few rounds of EDTA/DMSA/ALA anyway.

Other changes:
Tendon stiffness/pain has almost completely gone along with occasional muscle cramping when stretching (I can see the difference in yoga).
Much better circulation - the first dose I took actually had a similar sensation to drinking whisky, my chest became quite warm.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/iodine/iodine-and-your-heart
According to Dr. Stephen A. Hoption Cann“Iodine deficiency can have deleterious effects on the cardiovascular system, and correspondingly, that a higher iodine intake may benefit cardiovascular function.”[1] Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism have been shown to have negative effects on the heart. Clinical cardiovascular features of hypothyroidism include: bradycardia, reduced cardiac output, increased pericardial and pleural effusions, increased diastolic blood pressure and peripheral vasoconstriction.

Dr. Michael Donaldson says, “Iodine stabilizes the heart rhythm, lowers serum cholesterol, lowers blood pressure, and is known to make the blood thinner as well, judging by longer clotting times seen by clinicians. Iodine is not only good for the cardiovascular system, it is vital.

RedFox said:
So wanted to add a note of caution for anyone who is trying the iodide to be watchful for heavy metals, and perhaps do a few rounds of EDTA/DMSA/ALA anyway.

It could actually be bromide detox symptoms. I was surprised to read about it. It is really some serious stuff!

From the MaryJoFahey_IodineRemedies PDF book:

Bromine intoxication has been shown to cause delirium, psychomotor retardation, schizophrenia and hallucination. Subjects who ingest enough bromine feel dull and apathetic and have difficulty concentrating. Bromide can also cause severe depression, headache and irritability. Is is unclear how much bromide must be absorbed before symptoms of bromism become apparent, but recent research has demonstrated that some symptoms of bromide toxicity can be present with low levels of bromide in the diet.[...]

In an audio interview available on breastcancerchoices. org, Dr. Jorge Flechas explains that bromide causes abdominal pain, cardiac arrhythmia and acute paranoid psychosis. He says that Bromo Seltzer was responsible for 20% of all paranoid schizophrenia admissions in psychiatric hospitals between 1920 and 1960.[...]

In Iodine: Why You Need It and Why You Can’t Live Without It, Dr. David Brownstein says that he was shocked by the results of a study he did in his own office to look at the difference in iodide, bromine and fluoride levels in eight women with breast cancer versus ten women without breast cancer.

A synthesis here:

_http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/10-health-dangers-of-bromine/

Bromine is a chemical compound frequently used in flame retardants, baking ingredients, cell phones, plastic, dye, soda, and prescription drugs. Despite the warnings from the Centers for Disease Control about the serious, long-term health effects from constant exposure, use of the chemical shows no signs of slowing down. [1] Why should you care? Because research has identified the following 10 dangers of bromine as the most damaging to human health.

1. Disrupts Thyroid Function

Exposure to bromine severely impacts the thyroid gland and causes hormonal issues. Bromine competes with iodine, an essential nutrient that supports the health of the thyroid. Bromine and iodine are absorbed in similar fashion and animal research has found that bromine exposure limits availability of iodine to the thyroid and interferes with hormone production. [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] The flame retardant PCBE, for example, has specifically been fingered as a thyroid and endocrine disruptor. [7] This is a HUGE problem — an impaired thyroid can lead to hypothyroidism, goiter, and hormonal imbalance.

2. Increased Risk of Preterm Birth and Birth Defects

Iodine plays an integral role in conception and gestation. When bromine replaces iodine during pregnancy, expectant mothers may be at an increased risk for delivering preterm babies. Avoiding bromine can be tricky as it’s often used during water purification. One study found that mothers exposed to higher levels of bromine showed an increased risk of preterm delivery. [8] An Australian study even reported a link between bromide exposure and birth defects. [9]

3. Slows Neural and Cognitive Development

Children exposed to high levels of brominated compounds (PBDEs) in flame retardants are known to suffer development issues. In one study, researchers tracked children born with high levels of PBDEs for six years. At all stages, their mental and physical development lagged behind children with lower, “acceptable” levels of PBDEs. [10] Based on this fact alone, it’s shocking that any bromine exposure could be considered acceptable.

4. Cognitive Failure

Mental dysfunction related to the overexposure to bromine is so common it even has a name — bromism. [11] In one specific case of bromism, a patient consumed vast amounts of soda that contained brominated vegetable oil. The patient experienced problems including fatigue, headache, memory problems, and loss of muscle control. [12] Next time you reach for a soda, check the label!

5. Contributes to Mental Illness?

Psychosis, schizophrenia, and other mental health consequences, as a result of bromine exposure, has been known for decades. [13] Nearly 30 years ago, researchers speculated that some mental illnesses, like schizophrenia, may be misdiagnosed. Why? Because in some cases, reducing bromine levels decreased or eliminated schizophrenia symptoms. Thus, many experts believe some mental conditions may simply be a symptom of an underlying nutritional problem. [14]

6. Skin Disorders

When bromine comes in direct contact with the skin, it can irritate or burn. Exposure to bromine has also been linked to the development of cherry angiomas and lesions. [15] [16] [17] This effect has been known for almost a century, with the term “bromine acne” noted in a text from 1926. These pus-filled eruptions and lesions were observed in individuals who took bromine for nerve conditions. [18]

7. DNA Damage

Recent research has determined that potassium bromate, a common baking ingredient, causes oxidative damage to DNA. [19] To date, the research has involved animals; however, the human population consumes the most of this compound on a daily basis and many people are extremely concerned of its negative health implications! [20]

8. Carcinogenic Potential

The International Agency for the Research on Cancer has identified potassium bromate (the ingredient used in bread and baking) as a known carcinogen. Although tests have only been performed on animals, the Agency states it may also behave as a carcinogen in humans. [21]

9. Toxic to the Kidneys

Potassium bromate is a known kidney toxin and has killed human embryonic kidney cells in lab tests. [22] Even the CDC acknowledges bromine may cause kidney damage. [23] Bottom line, if you prefer healthy kidneys, avoid bromine!

10. Hearing Loss

Ears require a balance of potassium and sodium, two minerals that are helpful for promoting proper hearing. When tested on animals, potassium bromate created chemical imbalances within the inner ear. Researchers believe that an imbalance of nutrients may lead to hearing loss in humans. [24]

[...]

I would do the following protocol, it is easy and could help you with detox symptoms:

Shevin’s Remedy For Clearing Bromide Symptoms

Dr. William Shevin has developed a salt loading protocol to clear bromide detox symptoms that may occur while taking iodine:

Take 1/4 teaspoon of salt in 1/2 cup of warm water and follow immediately with 12-16 ounces of water. Repeat
this twice in 30 to 45 minute intervals until urination begins.

A very good synthesis here:

Iodine treats breast cancer and more, overwhelming evidence
http://www.sott.net/article/305942-Iodine-treats-breast-cancer-and-more-overwhelming-evidence

RedFox said:

Don't know why you would want to switch from the iodine - which is detoxing you quite well - to EDTA etc.

Salt water is the key to alleviating these symptoms as Gaby has pointed out.

Laura said:
RedFox said:

Don't know why you would want to switch from the iodine - which is detoxing you quite well - to EDTA etc.

Also, it seems like it might be better to do days alternating with vitamin C instead.

A lot of this iodine information reminds me of how Jack Kruse was explaining about the importance of the electrical energy system of the body. As mentioned, many elements have similar outer valences, which can make them "fit" into the wrong places. I'm glad that this was discovered as a more natural way of healing the body. What better way to help the body than to supplement it with the raw materials it needs and energy (from fats- of course).

Subjects who ingest enough bromine feel dull and apathetic and have difficulty concentrating. Bromide can also cause severe depression,

Very interesting.

The past few days I was feeling rather dull, brain fogged, achey and depressed. I had the impression that this was detox, so yesterday I took a day off the Iodine and had lots of vitamin C and salt water instead, and I have been much better. It seems like it is really doing something, so I will get back on the iodine tonight and hope that these symptoms don't last forever.

I felt noticeably better than usual today after doing only 5 days of iodine treatment (until eating too much tonight) so maybe it is getting rid of some evil things, and fast.

Laura said:
RedFox said:

Would it matter if table salt or real salt is used?

davey72 said:

Real salt, not the highly processed stuff. From:

_http://jeffreydachmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/The-Guide-to-Supplementing-with-Iodine-Stephanie-Burst-ND.pdf

Perform the salt loading protocol when you are experiencing detoxification symptoms with iodine supplementation.
**Note that you should not need to do this for more than 3 days. If you do then you need to reduce your dosing of iodine. 1/2 tsp celtic (or other unrefined) salt in 1/2 cup of warm water. Follow the above with a glass of 12 oz filtered water.** Repeat every 30 - 45 minutes as needed until urination begins.

davey72 said:

According to the guide by Stephanie Burst, ND, HC's iodine supplementing guide, sea salt or another unrefined salt is best.

10. What is the Salt Loading Protocol?

Perform the salt loading protocol when you are experiencing detoxification symptoms with iodine supplementation.
**Note that you should not need to do this for more than 3 days. If you do then you need to reduce your dosing of iodine.

1/2 tsp celtic (or other unrefined) salt in 1/2 cup of warm water Follow the above with a glass of 12 oz filtered water.
** Repeat every 30-45 minutes as needed until urination begins.

Why does this help?

Salt - containing chloride - binds to the bromide in the blood stream and carries it out through the kidneys.

The guide is available here. http://jeffreydachmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/The-Guide-to-Supplementing-with-Iodine-Stephanie-Burst-ND.pdf

Gaby said:
For those who get acne or rash with iodine:

_http://www.jcrows.com/MaryJoFahey_IodineRemediesSecretsFromTheSea.pdf

Bromide Detox Symptoms

Iodine supplementation, if it is done too quickly, and/or in the presence of bromide in the body, can cause detox symptoms (constipation, acne or rash) that occur mostly from bromide (Note: For a list of 29 possible symptoms, see: www.breastcancerchoices.org/bromidedetoxsymptomsandstrategies.html). Dr. William Shevin has developed a salt protocol to clear these detox symptoms if they occur (See: Shevin’s Remedy for Clearing Bromide Symptoms on page 93)

[...]

Shevin’s Remedy For Clearing Bromide Symptoms

Dr. William Shevin has developed a salt loading protocol to clear bromide detox symptoms that may occur while
taking iodine:

Take 1/4 teaspoon of salt in 1/2 cup of warm water and follow immediately with 12-16 ounces of water. Repeat
this twice in 30 to 45 minute intervals until urination begins.

Dr. Shevin doesn't specify what type. I'd think the least evil, filler free salt you can find would work:

Real salt, Celtic salt and Himalyan salt
Why real salt is so important

Thank you for sharing this valuable information.

After researching this topic, thanks again to all of you, today I have taken my first dose of Lugol's Iodine Solution 2%, which contains Potassium Iodide 4% and Iodine 2%.
The reason I decided to go with a solution is because all tablets/capsules I could find on Amazon contain fillers, including Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, silica etc.

Please, everyone watch out for those unnecessary ingredients.

Also, if we take the liquid form and mix it up with some water, we should use a straw, because the teeth might become yellow.

I've got my dosage up to one 130 mg potassium iodide and 10 drops of lugol's in the AM with the supplements except magnesium and Vitamin C. I take the C in the afternoon, and the magnesium before bed. I have to say that I felt a significant change today (building the last 4 days of higher doses) and the blockage of detoxing must have been broken via the salt water because I had to stay very close to the WC the whole day!!!

I added the 2% Lugol's into my supplement regimen, tried it out on Monday night for the first time, just a single drop on my tongue. Took it with my ALA/Vitamin E/Magnesium and a light dinner. Within about 20 minutes my body temp spiked. It was a nice internal sort of heat, kinda like a warm fuzzy feeling that spread all over. Been doing 1 drop 3-5x a day since and I've felt awesome. Picked up some selenium today so I added that into the mix as well, but I'm clear-headed, energetic and cheerful.

I haven't felt this good, so the combination is definitely working some sort of magic.

I'm also taking C, D, Bs, Potassium, CoQ10, and probiotics. Alternating what i take on different days cuz otherwise it'd be fist-fulls of pills. My issues are also relatively minor so I figured it'd be more cost effective this way.

Laura said:
I've got my dosage up to one 130 mg potassium iodide and 10 drops of lugol's in the AM with the supplements except magnesium and Vitamin C. I take the C in the afternoon, and the magnesium before bed. I have to say that I felt a significant change today (building the last 4 days of higher doses) and the blockage of detoxing must have been broken via the salt water because I had to stay very close to the WC the whole day!!!

Laura, thank you very much for the update. How long are you planning to be on this protocol?

Puck said:
I added the 2% Lugol's into my supplement regimen, tried it out on Monday night for the first time, just a single drop on my tongue.

You should probably take it in water, as it's caustic and could possibly burn the skin on your tongue.

Laura said:
RedFox said:

Sorry about the poor advice. I hadn't read the attached pdf so didn't know the bromide could cause neurological problems.
After a day of salt loading things are starting to improve, slowly but surely.

Since taking the Lugol's solution (12%, about 3 drops in water 2x daily) - I didn't notice any massive differences other than hot flushes, change in sleep. However, when I took a day off yesterday and intended to have Vit C - I'm pretty sure I had brain fog because I messed a few things up in work that I never do, put things in wrong places, got easily stressed, easily forgot a number of things, was less able to deal with stress etc. It was amazing to see the difference!

Back
Top Bottom