Iodine and Potassium Iodide

RedFox said:
Have you been doing the unrefined salt protocol too Lilyalic?

Recently I've been eating alot of fish, so have been drinking the brine out of the tins. Maybe I should start on drinking salt water too!

I am so excited and inspired by the last few days of this thread and will get going on the iodine protocol myself. I started taking iodine along with selenium months ago and have noticed a good increase in energy and mental clarity. 5 days ago, I noticed I have more cherry angiomas popping up on my chest, quite a lot! I was disappointed and surprised to see this as I have cut out the bakery goods, bread etc for almost a year and thought this would cut down on the bromine issue causing the angiomas. I had no idea the iodine would help with elimination of the bromine! Excellent!

So back to reading here and more instruction is needed before starting. Ive read only the first few pages of this thread, enough to get me going, so need to step it up. Also appreciate the toxicity reports on the bromine as a reminder and something I'd forgotten about. Diet and nutrition is such a important matter to me and something I've studied most of my life (with the incorrect material thrown in of course). I'm the "key" nutrition source for my growing family and everything I learn gets passed along. I appreciate what is shared here and its been a significant turning point in my education.

Lilyalic said:
RedFox said:

Recently I've been eating alot of fish, so have been drinking the brine out of the tins. Maybe I should start on drinking salt water too!

I don't think brine counts, as it's unlikely to be sea water. You need unrefined (sea) salt.

Gaby said:
davey72 said:
Would it matter if table salt or real salt is used?

Real salt, not the highly processed stuff. From:

_http://jeffreydachmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/The-Guide-to-Supplementing-with-Iodine-Stephanie-Burst-ND.pdf

Perform the salt loading protocol when you are experiencing detoxification symptoms with iodine supplementation.
**Note that you should not need to do this for more than 3 days. If you do then you need to reduce your dosing of iodine. 1/2 tsp celtic (or other unrefined) salt in 1/2 cup of warm water. Follow the above with a glass of 12 oz filtered water.** Repeat every 30 - 45 minutes as needed until urination begins.

RedFox said:
Lilyalic said:
RedFox said:

I don't think brine counts, as it's unlikely to be sea water. You need unrefined (sea) salt.

Gaby said:
davey72 said:
Would it matter if table salt or real salt is used?

Real salt, not the highly processed stuff. From:

_http://jeffreydachmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/The-Guide-to-Supplementing-with-Iodine-Stephanie-Burst-ND.pdf

Perform the salt loading protocol when you are experiencing detoxification symptoms with iodine supplementation.
**Note that you should not need to do this for more than 3 days. If you do then you need to reduce your dosing of iodine. 1/2 tsp celtic (or other unrefined) salt in 1/2 cup of warm water. Follow the above with a glass of 12 oz filtered water.** Repeat every 30 - 45 minutes as needed until urination begins.

OK - Thanks RF, I had some sea salt water this morning and have been the WC a few times already! I'm wondering if I'm having a detox reaction from the Iodide I had yesterday - planning to get the distiller from the apartment soon, and some Celtic salt. :)

From "The Iodine Crisis" by Lynne Farrow.

Lugol's iodine solution chart: Milligrams of iodine per drop

Lugol's content per drop - Total

2% - 2.50mg
3% - 3.75mg
5% - 6.25mg
7% - 8.75mg
10% - 12.50mg
15% - 18.75mg

Iodine Supplementation Protocol (October 2007 Iodine Conference) by Guy Abraham, David Brownstein and Jorge Flechas.

- 50mg Iodoral minimum (may start with 12.5mg).
- Some recommend lugol's solution. Iodoral is the lugol's formula in tablet form especially designed to avoid gastric irritation.
- Vitamin C 3 grams per day (more may be necessary to detox bromide).
- 300-600mg magnesium.
- 200mcg selenium or selenomethionine.
- 500mg niacin (B3) twice a day (NOT niacinamide). Start lower to avoid flush. 100mg vitamin B2 three times a day. ATP cofactors may be used as an alternative.
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed sea salt added to diet
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt in 8 oz. water twice a day as needed.
- A comprehensive vitamin and nutrition program.
- (February 2008) Dr. Guy Abraham cautions that "excess calcium supplementation (2000-3000mg/day) has been the most common cause of poor response to iodine supplementation". Vitamin Research news Vol. 22. Number 2.
- Protocol Update 2009: Data gathered from the Breast Cancer Choices Iodine Investigation Project participants reports that the ATP Cofactors helps iodine absorption and normalize TSH levels.

I have been looking for data regarding the oral ingestion of Betadine - povidone-iodine as a replacement for Lugol's solution and/or high-dose iodine tablets. The reason is that in many countries Betadine is easily available, while Lugol's and high-dose tablets are not.

In summary - the oral ingestion seems to be safe and effective, releasing free iodine in a slow and steady manner. The only problem I can see is that of dosage, as currently I am not 100% sure about the exact content of iodide in Betadine. The product sheet for Betadine 10% says (contains 1% available iodine).

As to safety, I found the following data:

Povidone iodine
Oral LD50: rat: >8 g/kg
Oral LD50: mouse: 8.1 g/kg
Intravenous LD50: rat: 640 mg/kg
Intravenous LD50: mouse: 480 mg/kg
Intravenous LD50: rabbit 110 mg/kg

"Oral LD50" describes the dose that kills 50% of animals - as you can see, this toxic dose is huge (but take into account, that this is the povidone iodine dose and not the iodide dose (which would be 10 times lower), but still huge.

As to "subchronic toxicity" the same link provides this information:

Povidone iodine
In a 12-week dietary study in rats, ingestion of povidone iodine at an average povidone iodine dosage of approximately 75 to 750 mg/kg/day {again huge dose} produced a dosedependent increase in serum protein-bound iodine and nonspecific, reversible microscopic changes in the thyroid. No other gross or microscopic povidone iodine-induced changes were observed. At equivalent iodine dosages, dietary potassium iodide produced similar thyroid changes of equal or greater severity.

Further evidence that povidone iodine seems safe for oral ingestion is the fact, that "povidone iodine was used as a blood substitute, toxicity can be considered a secondary problem" (excerpt from a Google book called "Disinfection, Sterilisation and Preservation" by Block.)

There is more interesting tidbits in the book, but I cannot copy/ paste, so I invite you to have a read yourself.

Now as to dose:

Povidone iodide 10% (10g/100ml) has an iodine content of 1g/100ml - or 10mg/ml. So if we want to take 50mg of iodide, we would need to ingest 5ml of the 10% solution. Just make sure if you go down that road not to buy any Betadine soap or surgical scrub solution, that would be BAD!

However I'd like someone to check my calculation, as I am not 100% sure I got this right.

nicklebleu said:
I have been looking for data regarding the oral ingestion of Betadine - povidone-iodine as a replacement for Lugol's solution and/or high-dose iodine tablets. The reason is that in many countries Betadine is easily available, while Lugol's and high-dose tablets are not.

Most people would say "No, it contains alcohol, it is toxic!" I think it does have other ingredients other than alcohol and iodine... But we have to keep in mind that betadine itself was/is used to bath tissues in generous quantities during surgical operations or even for things like vaginal douches. I remember seeing excellent results when treating open wounds with heart exposure (not your normal skin wound!) with betadine. I remember using between 10-20ml at once, mixed up with physiological solution.

I think it is still better to get the raw materials and make your own lugol solution if buying lugol directly is not an option. But yeah, betadine could be an emergency solution for more than one person.

Gaby said:
nicklebleu said:

Most people would say "No, it contains alcohol, it is toxic!" I think it does have other ingredients other than alcohol and iodine... But we have to keep in mind that betadine itself was/is used to bath tissues in generous quantities during surgical operations or even for things like vaginal douches. I remember seeing excellent results when treating open wounds with heart exposure (not your normal skin wound!) with betadine. I remember using between 10-20ml at once, mixed up with physiological solution.

I think it is still better to get the raw materials and make your own lugol solution if buying lugol directly is not an option. But yeah, betadine could be an emergency solution for more than one person.

I agree!

Every product information and every blog/ forum talking about iodine says categorically that Betadine is not for internal use. But I really haven't found any reason why - yet. So I would advise any person who wishes to go down that road to really make their own research and see, if they can't find Lugols or Iodoral tablets and so forth, because we are certain with these that they are safe and effective.

So, just a reminder!

Ingredients appear to be:

Active ingredient Purpose
Povidone-iodine, 7.5% –
equal to 0.75% available iodine

Inactive ingredients: ammonium
nonoxynol-4 sulfate, nonoxynol-9, purified
water, sodium hydroxide

Povidone iodine is: a brown powder used as an antiseptic for external application, consisting of a complex of polyvinylpyrrolidone and iodine.

Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), also commonly called polyvidone or povidone, is a water-soluble polymer made from the monomer N-vinylpyrrolidone

PVP was used as a plasma volume expander for trauma victims after the 1950s.

It is used as a binder in many pharmaceutical tablets;[2] it simply passes through the body when taken orally. However, autopsies have found that crospovidone (PVPP) contributes to pulmonary vascular injury in substance abusers who have injected pharmaceutical tablets intended for oral consumption.[3] The long-term effects of crospovidone or povidone within the lung are unknown.

PVP added to iodine forms a complex called povidone-iodine that possesses disinfectant properties.[4] This complex is used in various products like solutions, ointment, pessaries, liquid soaps and surgical scrubs. It is known under the trade names Pyodine and Betadine among a plethora of others.

It is used in pleurodesis (fusion of the pleura because of incessant pleural effusions). For this purpose, povidone iodine is equally effective and safe as talc, and may be preferred because of easy availability and low cost.[5]

PVP binds to polar molecules exceptionally well, owing to its polarity. This has led to its application in coatings for photo-quality ink-jet papers and transparencies, as well as in inks for inkjet printers.

PVP is also used in personal care products, such as shampoos and toothpastes, in paints, and adhesives that must be moistened, such as old-style postage stamps and envelopes. It has also been used in contact lens solutions and in steel-quenching solutions.[9][10] PVP is the basis of the early formulas for hair sprays and hair gels, and still continues to be a component of some.

As a food additive, PVP is a stabilizer and has E number E1201. PVPP (crospovidone) is E1202. It is also used in the wine industry as a fining agent for white wine or some beers. Other references state that polyvinyl pyrrolidone and its derivatives are fully from mineral synthetic origin. Therefore, its use in the production should not be a problem for vegans.

In molecular biology, PVP can be used as a blocking agent during Southern blot analysis as a component of Denhardt's buffer. It is also exceptionally good at absorbing polyphenols during DNA purification. Polyphenols are common in many plant tissues and can deactivate proteins if not removed and therefore inhibit many downstream reactions like PCR.

In microscopy, PVP is useful for making an aqueous mounting medium.[11]

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this chemical for many uses,[12] and it is generally considered safe. However, there have been documented cases of allergic reactions to PVP/povidone, particularly regarding subcutaneous (applied under the skin) use and situations where the PVP has come in contact with autologous serum (internal blood fluids) and mucous membranes. For example, a boy having an anaphylactic response after application of PVP-Iodine for treatment of impetigo was found to be allergic to the PVP component of the solution.[13] A woman, who had previously experienced urticaria (hives) from various hair products, later found to contain PVP, had an anaphylactic response after povidone-iodine solution was applied internally. She was found to be allergic to PVP.[14] In another case, a man experiencing anaphylaxis after taking acetaminophen tablets orally was found to be allergic to PVP.[15]

Povidone is commonly used in conjunction with other chemicals. Some of these, such as iodine, are blamed for allergic responses, although testing results in some patients show no signs of allergy to the suspect chemical. Allergies attributed to these other chemicals may possibly be caused by the PVP instead.[16][17]

PVP is soluble in water and other polar solvents. When dry it is a light flaky hygroscopic powder, readily absorbing up to 40% of its weight in atmospheric water. In solution, it has excellent wetting properties and readily forms films. This makes it good as a coating or an additive to coatings.

PVP was first synthesized by Walter Reppe and a patent was filed in 1939 for one of the most interesting derivatives of acetylene chemistry. PVP was initially used as a blood plasma substitute and later in a wide variety of applications in medicine, pharmacy, cosmetics and industrial production.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinylpyrrolidone
Povidone is used as a lubricant in some eye drops, e.g. Bausch & Lomb's Soothe.

Ingredients appear to be:

Active ingredient Purpose
Povidone-iodine, 7.5% –
equal to 0.75% available iodine

Inactive ingredients: ammonium
nonoxynol-4 sulfate, nonoxynol-9, purified
water, sodium hydroxide

You really don't want to ingest this!!! nonoxynol is those surfactant molecules that are endocrine disruptor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonylphenol

Nonylphenols are a family of closely related organic compounds called alkylphenols. They are used in manufacturing antioxidants, lubricating oil additives, laundry and dish detergents, emulsifiers, and solubilizers.[2] These compounds are also precursors to the commercially important non-ionic surfactants alkylphenol ethoxylates and nonylphenol ethoxylates, which are used in detergents, paints, pesticides, personal care products, and plastics. Nonylphenol has attracted attention due to its prevalence in the environment and its potential role as an endocrine disruptor and xenoestrogen, due to its ability to act with estrogen-like activity.[3]

Human health hazards

Alkylphenols like nonylphenol and bisphenol-A have estrogenic effects in the body. They are known as xenoestrogens.[15] Estrogenic substances and other endocrine disruptors are compounds that have hormone-like effects in both wildlife and humans. Xenoestrogens usually function by binding to estrogen receptors and acting competitively against natural estrogens. Nonylphenol has been shown to mimic the natural hormone 17β-estradiol, and it competes with the endogeous hormone for binding with the estrogen receptors ERα and ERβ.[2] Nonylphenol was discovered to have hormone-like effects by accident because it contaminated other experiments in laboratories that were studying natural estrogens that were using polystyrene tubes.[4]

Effects in pregnant women

Subcutaneous injections of nonylphenol in late pregnancy causes the expression of certain placental and uterine proteins, namely CaBP-9k, which suggest it can be transferred through the placenta to the fetus. It has also been shown to have a higher potency on the first trimester placenta than the endogenous estrogen 17β-estradiol. In addition, early prenatal exposure to low doses of nonylphenol cause an increase in apoptosis, cell death, in placental cells. These “low doses” ranged from 10-13-10-9 M, which is lower than what is generally found in the environment.[16]

Nonylphenol has also been shown to affect cytokine signaling molecule secretions in the human placenta. In vitro cell cultures of human placenta during the first trimester were treated with nonylphenol, which increased the secretion of cytokines including IFN-γ, IL-4, and IL-10 and reduced the secretion of TNA-α. This unbalanced cytokine profile at this part of pregnancy has been documented to result in implantation failure, pregnancy loss, and other complications[16]

Effects on metabolism

Nonylphenol has been shown to act as an obesity enhancing chemical or obesogen, though it has paradoxically been shown to have anti-obesity properties.[17] Growing embryos and newborns are particularly vulnerable when exposed to nonylphenol because low-doses can disrupt sensitive processes that occur during these important developmental periods.[18] Prenatal and perinatal exposure to nonylphenol has been linked with developmental abnormalities in adipose tissue and therefore in metabolic hormone synthesis and release (Merrill 2011). Specifically, by acting as an estrogen mimic, nonylphenol has generally been shown to interfere with hypothalamic appetite control.[17] The hypothalamus responds to the hormone leptin, which signals the feeling of fullness after eating, and nonylphenol has been shown to both increase and decrease eating behavior by interfering with leptin signaling in the midbrain.[17] Nonylphenol has been shown mimic the action of leptin on neuropeptide Y and anorectic POMC neurons, which has an anti-obesity effect by decreasing eating behavior. This was seen when estrogen or estrogen mimics were injected into the ventromedial hypothalamus.[19] On the other hand, nonylphenol has been shown to increase food intake and have obesity enhancing properties by lowering the expression of these anorexigenic neurons in the brain.[20] Additionally, nonylphenol affects the expression of ghrelin: an enzyme produced by the stomach that stimulates appetite.[21] Ghrelin expression is positively regulated by estrogen signaling in the stomach, and it is also important in guiding the differentiation of stem cells into adipocytes (fat cells). Thus, acting as an estrogen mimic, prenatal and perinatal exposure to nonylphenol has been shown to increase appetite and encourage the body to store fat later in life.[22] Finally, long-term exposure to nonylphenol has been shown to affect insulin signaling in the liver of adult male rats.[23]
Cancer

Nonylphenol exposure has also been associated with breast cancer.[2] It has been shown to promote the proliferation of breast cancer cells, due to its agonistic activity on ERα (estrogen receptor α) in estrogen-dependent and estrogen-independent breast cancer cells. Some argue that nonylphenol's suggested estrogenic effect coupled with its widespread human exposure could potentially influence hormone-dependent breast cancer disease.[24]

I have seen iodo-povidone preparations that don't list nonylphenol in their ingredients but knowing the pharma industry I can be sure of it.

Galaxia2002 said:
You really don't want to ingest this!!! nonoxynol is those surfactant molecules that are endocrine disruptor!

So for emergencies... I suggest planning ahead: get the raw materials and make your own lugol. Better safe than sorry!

A few observations from the book "The Iodine Crises" by Lynne Farrow:

The book is very useful in terms of testimonials. You learn how to use iodine and what to expect from all the stories shared.

There is a testimonial in the book of a woman with a 2.7 cm breast tumor. She was given tamoxifen to shrink it before surgery. She started taking it and developed asthma induced by tamoxifen. The doctor's advice was to keep using tamoxifen, but only half the dose. She was shocked to hear the advice as it was a very scary thing for her and her family. She nearly choked!

She decided to stop tamoxifen and take iodine instead. By the time of the next scheduled appointment, the tumor went from 2.7 cm down to 0.8 cm. This was in three months. The doctor was extremely upset she did not took the tamoxifen and proceeded to scare the hell out of her with threats of metastases. She was all stressed out about it after 3 years from that appointment.

She was told to take the tamoxifen for 8 weeks and then have surgery. She decided not to take tamoxifen, but continue with iodine and after 8 weeks, there were no signs of the tumor.

They also recommend a combination of iodine ointment + progesterone cream to be applied on the breasts for fibrocystic disease, uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts. Although internal use is highly recommended, people have had better results when they apply iodine locally in the affected area. It has to be mixed with coconut oil or another oil in order to avoid irritation. And some recommend painting the area and waiting for 48 hours until you paint again in order to avoid irritation from any excess. This has to be done on top of the oral iodine for those with specific breast disease or other conditions. What you apply topically in the local area will be absorbed partially and will have a good local effect.

They also recommend starting the salt loading protocol (to palliate Herx reactions) two weeks before the iodine treatment. Some people just start the salt with the iodine therapy though. It is an interesting observation for those who can't be at home, need to work and not miss days from Herx reactions and so forth.

A lot of people used 130mg before they saw results and nearly all of them had some temporary Herx reactions.

I posted the "official" protocol in this post:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,13371.msg614769.html#msg614769

They also suggest pulse dosing with iodine. That is, skip iodine therapy on two days per week in order to allow toxins to be flushed out. You keep taking the salt water on those days. It causes all side effects to go away. When Herx reactions stop, you can just take your iodine every single day.

Lugol dose for pets: 0.08mg/per pound.

If you have breast cancer or melanoma, avoid tyrosine supplements.

Just some observations from the book.

Thank you everyone for another amazing discovery. I just had the last of my mercury fillings removed, so it's fantastic to know that we have this multi-purpose tool for killing off invaders and detoxing heavy metals too, especially considering the multi-systemic nature of our symptoms.

Thanks for the warnings about bromide detoxing, and the importance of salt loading. I've already been noticing some effects from not having a mouth full of mercury, so this sounds very promising.

From another article by Dr. Sircus:

http://drsircus.com/medicine/iodine/iodine-and-detoxification

Iodine and Detoxification

Iodine intake immediately increases the excretion of bromide, fluoride, and some heavy metals including mercury and lead. Bromide and fluoride are not removed by any other chelator or detoxifying technique. Dr. Kenezy Gyula Korhaz states that iodine chelates heavy metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium and aluminum and halogens such as fluoride and bromide, thus decreasing their iodine inhibiting effects[1] especially of the halogens.

The toxicity of modern life is impacting iodine levels. It is well known that the toxic halides, fluoride and bromide, having structure similar to iodine, can competitively inhibit iodine absorption and binding in the body.

In the case of the halides, which are all antagonistic elements to iodine, they will impede the absorption of iodine. Heavy metals get stored in the same receptors that are looking for iodine. Almost all of us are exposed to bromine and fluorine and are storing these toxic halides in our iodine deficient receptors. The mechanism of iodine in the cells is very ancient and lacking of specificity, in fact, cells are not able to distinguish iodide from other anions of similar atomic or molecular size, which may act as “pseudo-iodides”: bromide, flouride, chlorine, thiocyanate, cyanate, nitrate, pertechnate, and perchlorate.[2]

[snip]

Iodine has the highest atomic weight of all the common halogens (126.9). Iodine is the only option when it comes to removing these toxic haloids from the thyroid and even the pineal gland where fluoride concentrates, especially when there is a deficiency in iodine in the body. In an age of increasing radioactivity and toxic poisoning specifically with fluoride[3], chlorine and bromide, and even mercury, iodine is a necessary mineral to protect us from harm for immediately these toxic substances will increasingly flow out of the body in the urine.

Humanity is traveling down a deadly path. Awaiting each and every child born on the planet is a life doomed to being poisoned. There is “overwhelming evidence that every child, no matter where in the world he or she is born, will be exposed, not only from birth, but from conception, to man-made chemicals that can undermine the child’s ability to reach its fullest potential — chemicals that interfere with the natural chemicals that tell tissues how to develop and construct healthy, whole individuals according to the genes they inherited from their mothers and fathers,” says Dr. Theo Colborn, Senior Program Scientist, at the World Wildlife Fund.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022800_antibiotic_antibiotics_infection.html#ixzz3rfYJpfFZ
Iodine - a Pillar Against Infections

Though it kills 90 percent of bacteria on the skin within 90 seconds, its use as an antibiotic has been ignored. Iodine exhibits activity against bacteria, molds, yeasts, protozoa, and many viruses; indeed, of all antiseptic preparations suitable for direct use on humans and animals and upon tissues, only iodine is capable of killing all classes of pathogens: gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, mycobacteria, fungi, yeasts, viruses and protozoa. Most bacteria are killed within 15 to 30 seconds of contact.

Iodine is by far the best antibiotic, antiviral and antiseptic of all time - Dr. David Derry

Dr. Derry says that iodine is effective "for standard pathogens such as Staphylococcus, but also iodine has the broadest range of action, fewest side effects and no development of bacterial resistance." There is a world of difference between using an antibiotic – anti-life substance – and an antibiotic, antiviral and antifungal substance like iodine, which is life serving because it is a basic and most necessary nutritional substance.

Iodine kills single celled organisms by combining with the amino acids tyrosine or histidine when they are exposed to the extra-cellular environment. All single cells showing tyrosine on their outer cell membranes are killed instantly by a simple chemical reaction with iodine that denatures proteins. Nature and evolution have given us an important mechanism to control pathogenic life forms and we should use it and trust it to protect us in ways that antibiotics can't.

"My husband Ron had a small infection at the base of the nail. This very quickly turned nasty and our doctor agreed it looked like gout. Three weeks later Ron heard back from his Doctor who was in a mad panic saying Ron had septicemia. On seeing the surgeon that same day the surgeon wanted to go in and cut the finger open end for end and look at the finger and that she would probably have to take it off anyway. Finally the Nascent Iodine we ordered arrived (my husband was refusing to take antibiotics) He started on quite a hefty dose of 15 drops while continuing to apply magnesium chloride transdermally."

"Two days after starting the iodine there was feeling starting to regenerate and pain again in the finger and Ron thought it looked less discolored. Then the following day the swelling had started to go down and the normal healthy pinkness was returning at the base of the finger. Over a period of days it has progressively improved with no other treatment than the iodine and magnesium chloride. We also then made a poultice with a mixture of comfrey, honey and garlic for a few days, then the Nascent Iodine dripped into a goldenseal ointment."

Magnesium chloride is the only form of magnesium known to have anti-infectious properties. When it comes to fighting infections, iodine and magnesium chloride are a dynamic duo that should not be overlooked by allopathic or naturopathic physicians or by anyone else. I talked a few months ago to a missionary in Africa who was using iodine (in the atomic or detoxified form) to successfully treat malaria. My own children have recently had bad coughs and it is iodine, not dangerous over-the-counter cough medicines I reach for.

The feeling of security for a parent comes from administering substances like iodine (Nascent and other forms) and magnesium chloride (natural forms) to their children. Yes in dire emergency we would still use an antibiotic when fever is high and all else has failed but until that kind of critical point, iodine, backed up by magnesium chloride, sodium bicarbonate and even clay, is our main line of defense against a full range of pathogens.

Determining what is an appropriate use of an antibiotic is a judgment call in which cultural, social, psychological, and economic factors play at least as great a role as clinical and epidemiological considerations - Dr. Marc Lipsitch et al.

The way to combat antibiotic resistance is not bigger, better, stronger antibiotics but, rather, no antibiotics at all. Instead, other molecular weapons are available with the ability to disable bad germs without bothering good ones. Iodine is the ideal broad spectrum antibiotic that is not an antibiotic - it is not against life. Not against human life that is but you can hear the little pathogens screaming as high enough levels of iodine fan out through the system. Meaning all the viruses, bacteria, yeasts and molds that are threatening us are threatened with instant death when iodine is used orally to fight infection. It's hard to make a mistake with iodine but with pharmaceutical antibiotics we are playing at the crap table hoping our choice of which one to use works against the pathogen that is actually threatening a person.

Infection depresses levels of vitamins B6 and C.

I got herx reactions on the second day of taking 6 drops of 5% a day (6x6.25=37.5mg combined iodine/iodide).

Out of the health maintenance dose mentioned of 50mg/day, how should that be split among the iodine/iodide? SSKI is all iodide from what I understand.

Divide By Zero said:
I got herx reactions on the second day of taking 6 drops of 5% a day (6x6.25=37.5mg combined iodine/iodide).

Out of the health maintenance dose mentioned of 50mg/day, how should that be split among the iodine/iodide? SSKI is all iodide from what I understand.

From "Clearing up the Iodine Confusion":

_http://pharmacistben.com/health/clearing-up-the-iodine-confusion/

Some literature suggests that different people and conditions respond differently to iodide and iodine. If you are using a blend (Lugol’s or Ioderol or Iodizyme HP) you’re getting both forms and that seems to me to be a better option than just the iodide form (as in SSKI or KI) , although general consensus among the experts is mixed.

Certain tissues prefer iodine over iodide and vice versa, i.e. the thyroid, ovaries and breasts.

I think the doses mostly refers to iodine, but you use what you can get. I think people are referring Herx reactions and results with both solutions: lugol and SSKI.

Back
Top Bottom