Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Christine said:
I should have specify is good "drops"

I think that 5 drops of 12% is too much. The headaches might come from bromide detox. I would do 1-2 drops every other day and see how that goes.

Gaby said:
The tests seem to suggest that your body is still adjusting to the iodine.

It could be. Maybe that's why I don't feel any big improvements so far.

Gaby said:
Do you take iodine every single day or on alternative days? Which percentage were you using?

I'm taking it for 6 days with one day off. Maybe I should take two days off? Once I tried two days off, but I felt so weak without the iodine that I decided after that to take only one day off. But now, before I did this test, I took two days off and I felt fine, so I guess I could try now with 5+2. Or maybe on alternative days.

I don't know about percentage, because they don't write that on our Lugol's, but it's probably 5%.

I've been following the thread and protocol for 3 months and not wanting to comment on my experience because I've been having a very bad dietary intake and smoked a lot of pot for the first 1.5 months of starting using lugol's, so my results have certainly been skewed by those things.

I just want to say that in Australia, lugol's is also restricted. There are some sites that will sell it to you bulk for gardening and other ones like GAPS diet Australia but I wasn't sure about those, and ordering from blooms online 2 25ml bottles of 5% solution, one in my name and one in my partners name as they will only allow one bottle per person every 60 days..
I took a shot and ordered the potassium iodide and iodine crystals from a medical lab in the UK and a month later they arrived at my front door. I also experienced similar luck with customs went buying tobacco seeds (illegal to grow tobacco here) that I also purchased from the UK.

I now have 1.13 L of 10% Lugol's in my medicine cupboard.

Customs can confiscate things without notice, after a few weeks of being notified the product had been sent I assumed someone at customs had taken my stuff to make some meth or something with it. I was ver happy that it arrived!

Persej said:
Once I tried two days off, but I felt so weak without the iodine that I decided after that to take only one day off.

That sounds like iodine withdrawal. In order to avoid that, I would take it on alternative days. It allows for some detox and it is not stopped long enough to cause withdrawal.

I wouldn't hurry the process if slowly but surely works.

Persej said:
I got new results from yesterday:

FT4: 17.8 (Normal: 10.0 - 25.0)

TSH: 14.4 (0.4 - 4.0)

Anti-Tg-AB <20 (<40)

Anti-TPO-AB: <10 (<35)

My old results are here.

As you can see, my TSH raised again. My endocrinologist is sick so I can see her in 12th May.

I raised my dosage to 8 drops in one week, hoping that I can kill some bugs inside, but nothing special happened. Then I lowered to 7 for one week and then I did this test. Now I'm on 6 and plan on slowly lowering down to 4 or 3.

The only symptom I have now is the itching on my soles. I never had that before so I'm guessing it probably has something to do with the iodine.

Ever since I introduced the second glass of salted water I don't have rapid hart beats in the evening, so that improved, but I still feel weakness in my heart, some days more that the others, depending on the weather.

I introduced the wild oregano oil again in my protocol, along with colostrum and bromelain. Maybe I should take something else, maybe I should increase the iodine, or maybe I just need to wait some more time for my body to become fully loaded with iodine.

I have the similar results, but my TSH was not so high. Everything else was normal , same as your results. As Gaby said , you body is still adjusting to iodine. Its sodium-iodine symporter system that is activated, and iodine have done that. If you feel bad just stop iodine and it will back to normal. Dr Brownstein writes about elevated TSH in his book, and he says that it can stay high even for a few months before it drops down to nornal. Just decrease the iodine dosage or cancel it for some time if you feel really bad, take your salted water and co-factors and everything will be fine. Take care

Menrva said:
Alana said:
He examined my throat and said there might be nodules on my thyroid, so by the end of May I'll know more about what's going on (that's when the ultrasound appointment is due).

It makes me wonder if it's the potassium iodide (KI) in the lugol's and if there could be a combination of iodine and a lower amount of KI that might help those who are sensitive?

I was wondering something opposite. Since only thyroid needs I2 iodine - about 5 mg daily, and the rest of the body prefers KI, taking more than 15 mg of iodine from standard 5% lugola is just wasting iodine which is probably excreted. So today I made lugola solution but with different proportions. I mean - 1% I2 and 12% KI. One drop contains then 5 mg of iodine from I2 and KI. And first observation - it is not so "spicy" and much easier to digest, since KI is a salt.

Gaby said:
Christine said:
I should have specify is good "drops"

I think that 5 drops of 12% is too much. The headaches might come from bromide detox. I would do 1-2 drops every other day and see how that goes.

Hello Gaby, :)
When I have my headaches I thought in of one detoxification of the mercury, then, when I read the last session I said to myself that I made a mistake, it is just EM who gives me headaches and on Wednesday, April 20th towards 4-5h I dreamed that I enjoyed a candy with a rather strange taste I continued to eat her(it) and more that became openly disgusting and I woke up with a taste of old metal in the mouth, I had to swallow several times to make this yucky taste leave, and before that, on Saturday, April 16th in the morning early I woke up with a strong pain in the breast and a sentence which resounded in the head “I shouldn't be doing” I asked myself the question “What I do not have to make?”

PS: My comment was written for a little more than a week on my Word but I had the slackness to translate him into English and on Thursday I was urged to make him.

Thank you Gaby, I think that you gave the answer, me cannot help but follow your advises. :hug:

If the translation is bad said the me

Michał said:
Menrva said:
Alana said:
He examined my throat and said there might be nodules on my thyroid, so by the end of May I'll know more about what's going on (that's when the ultrasound appointment is due).

It makes me wonder if it's the potassium iodide (KI) in the lugol's and if there could be a combination of iodine and a lower amount of KI that might help those who are sensitive?

I was wondering something opposite. Since only thyroid needs I2 iodine - about 5 mg daily, and the rest of the body prefers KI, taking more than 15 mg of iodine from standard 5% lugola is just wasting iodine which is probably excreted. So today I made lugola solution but with different proportions. I mean - 1% I2 and 12% KI. One drop contains then 5 mg of iodine from I2 and KI. And first observation - it is not so "spicy" and much easier to digest, since KI is a salt.

Yep, I have done the same after a while back when Laura mentioned that the chateau has less side effects from KI/iodide over Iodine.

If you want to calculate the mg combined iodine/iodide per drop after doing this, it is not hard if you are good with basic algebra.

One drop 5% lugol's is around 6mg combined.
One drop of SSKI is 50mg from what I've found.

So, you use a ratio to find the final amount.
Let's say you have 75% lugols and 25% SSKI mixed up.
x is lugol's per drop y is SSKI per drop and z is total per drop.
75x + 25y= 100z
75(6) + 25 (50) = 100z
450 + 1250 = 100z
1700 = 100 z
1700/100 = z -> z = 17 mg per drop for the combined solution.

Still, despite this increase in total iodine, I have not had to reduce my normal dose of around 4 drops.

Fluffy said:
I just want to say that in Australia, lugol's is also restricted. There are some sites that will sell it to you bulk for gardening and other ones like GAPS diet Australia but I wasn't sure about those, and ordering from blooms online 2 25ml bottles of 5% solution, one in my name and one in my partners name as they will only allow one bottle per person every 60 days..
I took a shot and ordered the potassium iodide and iodine crystals from a medical lab in the UK and a month later they arrived at my front door. I also experienced similar luck with customs went buying tobacco seeds (illegal to grow tobacco here) that I also purchased from the UK.

Customs can confiscate things without notice, after a few weeks of being notified the product had been sent I assumed someone at customs had taken my stuff to make some meth or something with it. I was ver happy that it arrived!

Hey Fluffy

If you wanted to buy some more in Australia without importing I've bought from this seller: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/wpproducts2012/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= and the quality seemed perfect to me there was no difference between it or Iodoral (lugol's in tablet form).
There's also this online compounding pharmacy that should be trustworthy: http://www.custommedicine.com.au/shop/products/lugols-solution-50ml.html
Hope this helps

Gaby said:
That sounds like iodine withdrawal. In order to avoid that, I would take it on alternative days. It allows for some detox and it is not stopped long enough to cause withdrawal.

Ok, I will try the alternative days method for some time and see how it goes.

I wouldn't hurry the process if slowly but surely works.

Yeah, you are probably right. Thank you Gaby. :)

Konstantin said:
I have the similar results, but my TSH was not so high. Everything else was normal , same as your results. As Gaby said , you body is still adjusting to iodine. Its sodium-iodine symporter system that is activated, and iodine have done that. If you feel bad just stop iodine and it will back to normal. Dr Brownstein writes about elevated TSH in his book, and he says that it can stay high even for a few months before it drops down to nornal. Just decrease the iodine dosage or cancel it for some time if you feel really bad, take your salted water and co-factors and everything will be fine. Take care

Well, aside from some detox symptoms in the beginning, I never felt bad from taking iodine. But these numbers do show that I'm probably forcing my body too much, so I will lower my intake preventively. I will try this new method and report back how I feel.

Menrva said:
Alana said:

I had a similar, but milder reaction to taking just potassium iodide (65mg). It makes me wonder if it's the potassium iodide (KI) in the lugol's and if there could be a combination of iodine and a lower amount of KI that might help those who are sensitive? Kelp and diary (cow's milk and yogurt) are really high in potassium iodide and I had a similar sick feeling with milk and dairy long ago. With your food allergy results for dairy, I wonder if there is a connection there? Can you eat kelp?

I have taken kelp many times through the years, and I didn't notice anything negative from it, so I don't know. It might be something to look into.

I hope all goes well with the appointment and you get better soon.

Thank you. Tiredness reached ridiculous proportions, so I went to see a homeopath yesterday (she is also a regular doctor). I remember 10 years ago when I had similar symptoms, homeopathy helped me a lot. She also said she will call the local hospital and ask that the ultrasound appointment happens sooner than the scheduled day. Meanwhile she gave me a prescription for some homeopathic solutions, I ordered them and they should be ready this afternoon.

Also, to all of you who worry about your TSH results being high: I also just got my blood test results for thyroid and they look all normal. Last year this time TSH was 12.15 and now it's 2.23 (normal ranges: 0.40 - 4.40). So iodine must have helped while I was taking it all these months! Maybe my system just reached a saturation point with iodine, and if I let some time go by I would be able to start with very low doses again with one day on, few off etc.

The other test results:

anti-thyroglobuline < 15 UI/ml (normal up to 60)
anti-thyroperoxydase < 28 UI/ml (normal up to 60)
Free T4 1.03 ng/dl (normal 0.89 - 1.76)

Lycurgus said:
Fluffy said:

Hey Fluffy

If you wanted to buy some more in Australia without importing I've bought from this seller: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/wpproducts2012/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= and the quality seemed perfect to me there was no difference between it or Iodoral (lugol's in tablet form).
There's also this online compounding pharmacy that should be trustworthy: http://www.custommedicine.com.au/shop/products/lugols-solution-50ml.html
Hope this helps

Thanks for that.
I can't say I'll be as lucky with customs in a year when the lugol's I have made is used up or out of date.
The main reason I wanted to make my own was the price because I'm taking so many different things and all the co factors with expensive food shopping bill buying organic/grass fed veg and meats, three kids doing sports and just general living bills, I'm trying to reduce costs wher I can.

I was paying $15 a bottle 5% solution 25ml from blooms online and $10 dollars postage. I paid just over $70aud for the stuff I ordered from UK and made 1.13 litres of 10% solution. Massive saving!

I wanted enough to to be able to share with family members and friends who are interested too. ☺️

Alana said:
Maybe my system just reached a saturation point with iodine, and if I let some time go by I would be able to start with very low doses again with one day on, few off etc.

That is my impression as well, maybe you reached a saturation point.

I don't know if you are doing some sort of heavy metal chelation, but I noticed that that made me extremely tired. On DMSA days, I had even unstable gait which cleared the next day. After the DMSA days, I feel much better and focused. Now I'm doing a standard low dose in order to avoid organ damage from a high release of mercury into my bloodstream. Slowly but surely seems to work for me here as well.

I'm glad to see that all the thyroid markers are good. :flowers:

Had some blood tests done recently and there were a few interesting things.

Red blood cell count was a bit on the low side: 4.47 (official normal range 4.5-5.8). This dropped from 4.81 last Dec. Not sure if that's a problem or not.

Transferrine saturation was 41% last Dec. dropped to 18% (official normal range 20-40%) I think the DSMA was the cause.

Total cholesterol dropped from 5.27g/L to 4.28g/L

LDL dropped from 4.29 to 3.04

HDL rose from 0.84 to 1.02

Triglycerides at 1.12g/L (up from 0.70g/L)

Glycated Haemoglobin is on the higher side: 5.6% (should be lower than 6%).

Cortisol still elevated. Last Dec it was 275 ug/L. That moved up to 282 ug/L (official normal at 9am is 45-225 ug/L). One year ago it was 199.

TSH is down from 1.219 uUl/ml last Dec. to 0.941.

T4L is 16.2pmol/l down a point from last Dec. (normal range 11.5-22.7)

T3L is 5.6 pmol/l (normal range 3.5-6.5)

Still waiting on ACTH (plasma corticotrophine) and DHEA.

The main thing I'm interested in is lowering my cortisol. From what I understand, the main way to do that is to chill out! Although cutting way back on carbs and sugar is also advised.

Started back on one drop 2% lugols. 2nd day today. So far so good.

Fluffy said:
I've been following the thread and protocol for 3 months and not wanting to comment on my experience because I've been having a very bad dietary intake and smoked a lot of pot for the first 1.5 months of starting using lugol's, so my results have certainly been skewed by those things.

Hello Fluffy, I managed to get 50 ml of Iodine tincture off the shelf at Blooms, it contains Iodine 25mg/mL, Potassium Iodide 25mg/mL and Ethanol.
I guess at the small doses required, the alcohol wouldn't affect you. (hic)

Back
Top Bottom