Jupiter Ascending

Quote from: RedFox
I didn't see anyone leave, but some people (including myself) did laugh at the ridiculousness of it. I don't think any people really got it (how could they with no frame of reference?), but maybe it's about planting seeds?

--------------
IMO, you start by utilizing the same or similar concepts from similar films in this genre. The first that comes to mind is '4d' type people in the original Star Trek series, whose presence was only 'heard' thru a song effect of the staff hearing a 'bee' buzzing sound.... The latter ST 2nd generation had a few '4d' type concepts like time travel and its affects... and one '4d' type was 'Q' , wouldn't he be considered that? I never really cared for that series, though the wormhole series was interesting. Either way, if this structure was utilized, then pre-release buzz could be perhaps generated through that Star Trek fan base, which is at minimum worth a few million in ad revenue, and if pre-screenings are any good, will generate 'word of mouth' buzz. The problem is collecting the various concepts as utilized in various sci-fi projects and meshing or morphing them together in a manner that takes them to a better understanding of '4d', both the negative and positive which is preferable and understandable to most people, especially those in this fan base and genre. Star Wars covered the 'dark vs light' dynamic of empire vs republic, telepathy, jedi genetic abilities vs normal people and Yoda would be a good example of the mind vs form as well as the basic teach/learn profiles. Harry Potter is another popular series using some of these concepts in some ways. There's alot of anime in Japan dealing with post-catastrophic destruction scenarios, mulitple dimensions etc.
The main problem seems to be the lack of apparent conformity, but then most esoteric data is the same and isn't this true for most languages until some latter acclaimed writer delineates it and gets others to accept this version as the new standard? Perhaps the problem is whether or not the director et al have a consistent idea of what they are presenting to the public? Haven't seen the film, but usually you start with what is already present and then proceed to make course corrections only after getting the audience's attention and 'hooked' enough to start any exposition that might require them to actually think and not just watch. It seems that most entertainment vehicles just utilize these concepts as tools for fantasy and not much else. Too much static on their 'radio'... the Matrix is about as good as it gets it seems, even for that team, as they couldn't get out of their own Matrix except perhaps death.... perhaps as the 2 and 3 sequels didn't make even that seem possible, which brings in the question of thought vs form and they didn't seem ready to tackle that subject.

I watched it this evening, Anh, Interstellar Love Story, kind of like Cinderella meets Prince Charming, that happens to also be an Alien. With a twist, Cinderella is an Alien too. The Kingsmen, In His Majesty;s Secret Service was Way Better.

Don Diego said:
Well the most interesting thing is that the lanlord of Earth, a woman, has chosen to reincarnate in a russian family...For once not an american man who saves our world.

It is again a telling metaphor from the Wachowski brothers.

My thoughts too about Russian link in the movie, maybe the Wachowski's trying to send us a message about Putin :) - thoroughly enjoyed watching the 3D version of the movie with all visual effects combined with the esoteric knowledge. I really liked the movie.

My all time favourite movie is the Matrix, and over the years the Wachowski's have been "releasing" a lot of knowledge through their films. This time they went all direct with the Orions, Lizzie's and Greys, hmmmm maybe they too know the Wave is arriving, and are trying to spread as much knowledge as possible ? just a thought....

I think it must have been like PTB goal was to let them make the movie, but make sure - through actions of agents of the matrix (probably most of crew involved in production) - that it will be as bad as possible, so the story, the concepts will be ridiculized and nobody will ever pick the subject again. Well, there could be remake after couple of years, though... (too late)

osher said:
I think it must have been like PTB goal was to let them make the movie, but make sure - through actions of agents of the matrix (probably most of crew involved in production) - that it will be as bad as possible, so the story, the concepts will be ridiculized and nobody will ever pick the subject again. Well, there could be remake after couple of years, though... (too late)

This makes sense, it's like they make a strange interpretation of the hegel triad.

Thesis: I present the truth, or something similar to the truth
Antithesis: I mix the truth with disinformation elements, and exaggerated/absurd ideas
Synthesis: Anyone who defends it lacks rational thinking

Well it's not exactly this way but you get the idea.

Big thanks to Wachowski as the ones who "dare" to show the people the reality "close" to as it is!

I found interesting comments about the film made by one of the famous Russian bloggers and businessman (who also lives in France, may be the Team already knows him? :) in Live Journal named Avvakum (his real name is Oleg Nasobin, owns a famous organic cosmetics company), who also played in that movie as a "secondary" actor (a member of Jupiter's family). According to him - the movie was supposed to be the biggest blow to PTB and a sign of the New world coming (I read through his other posts as well -he really seems to be in the know of "our topic" here and pretty collinear minded).
The original version also showed her russian family dynamics (main idea here was that Russians are not castaways, but genofond with a great potential for the future world events) - in his opinion it was one of the main reasons why 'overseer' of the project in the light of changing political situation had persuaded Wachowskis to cut the film to the "simple" blockbuster version. But as long as he singed confidential agreement he can't release the draft version of the original scenario that he possesses.
Here is the link to one of his comments on the film (there he tries to analyze the ancestry of Abrasax family from "mystical/occult" point of view. Unfortunately only small excerpt of it in English).
http://avvakoum.livejournal.com/1377378.html

Antony said:
According to him - the movie was supposed to be the biggest blow to PTB and a sign of the New world coming (I read through his other posts as well -he really seems to be in the know of "our topic" here and pretty collinear minded).
The original version also showed her russian family dynamics (main idea here was that Russians are not castaways, but genofond with a great potential for the future world events) - in his opinion it was one of the main reasons why 'overseer' of the project in the light of changing political situation had persuaded Wachowskis to cut the film to the "simple" blockbuster version.

Interesting. I was tempted to leave already in the beginning because of this stereotypical depiction a Russian family. Didn't expect that with the Wachovskis. Good to know that there was more that got cut out.

I wonder when the original draft will be released?

M.T.

I saw this movie last weekend and honestly did not like it at all; believe me, i"m a big fun of sci-FY movies.. :shock:

I saw this movie yesterday afternoon, I seemed nice, kidnappings, delete forthwith, human farm, harvest, what I do not like is that long in fights, special effects was taken and all that, I think that demerito to esoteric topics, and ends in a nice try, how interesting, as others have mentioned here, this kind of topics, brought to the screen, they can plant a seed in some people and find more information.

Antony said:
Big thanks to Wachowski as the ones who "dare" to show the people the reality "close" to as it is!

I found interesting comments about the film made by one of the famous Russian bloggers and businessman (who also lives in France, may be the Team already knows him? :) in Live Journal named Avvakum (his real name is Oleg Nasobin, owns a famous organic cosmetics company), who also played in that movie as a "secondary" actor (a member of Jupiter's family). According to him - the movie was supposed to be the biggest blow to PTB and a sign of the New world coming (I read through his other posts as well -he really seems to be in the know of "our topic" here and pretty collinear minded).
The original version also showed her russian family dynamics (main idea here was that Russians are not castaways, but genofond with a great potential for the future world events) - in his opinion it was one of the main reasons why 'overseer' of the project in the light of changing political situation had persuaded Wachowskis to cut the film to the "simple" blockbuster version. But as long as he singed confidential agreement he can't release the draft version of the original scenario that he possesses.
Here is the link to one of his comments on the film (there he tries to analyze the ancestry of Abrasax family from "mystical/occult" point of view. Unfortunately only small excerpt of it in English).
http://avvakoum.livejournal.com/1377378.html

Looks like that livejournal entry has been restricted and cannot be read by the average bear.

Too bad! I'm always hungry for the inside scoop wrt the creative process with books and films which resonate.

I've watched Jupiter Ascending yesterday, and while I liked some parts of the film, and the special effects were nice, ultimately I was quite disappointed. Of all the Wachowskis films I've seen and immensely enjoyed (Matrix trilogy, V for Vendetta, Cloud Atlas), this one wasn't nearly half as good. It felt unfinished to me, patched up even, and at times quite ridiculous.

There was a few interesting things though. Like the general idea of House of Abrasax dynasty, poster family for high-hierarchy STS, the fact that Earthians didn't even come from Earth to begin with, and that they were a part of a large investment that was to end up in harvest, during which human bodies were used as a serum to prolong life of "the masters". That was something I would like to see more explored in the film.

The character of Jupiter on the other hand, was in my opinion poorly written and two-dimensional. I've had hard time connecting to her on a deeper level.

And don't even let me start on those poor caricatures of Grays and Reptilians.

This movie could've been good. Instead it was mediocre.

I watched this movie a few days ago, and, honestly, I'm still unsure exactly what to think about it.

I was quite taken aback by the blatant references to material that others have mentioned (Orions, Lizzie's, humans not originating on Earth etc.), but I can't help thinking: Cui Bono? There are some very important concepts in the film that would no doubt plant the seeds of better understanding the nature of our reality in the minds of attentive people, but why have these concepts been knowingly injected into a Hollywood production? To what ends are the Wachowski brothers' talent and insight being used?

Maybe this film serves a similar purpose to "Day After Tomorrow". I know that if I tell people that ice ages can start very quickly, they think I've seen too many movies. And now the idea of the earth being a farm for some higher beings to feed on us can be made fun of on the basis of it also being "fictionalized" by Hollywood. Basically if you release truth in a movie it can either have a potentially positive effect (V for Vendetta), or it can be used to make said truth firmly associated with Hollywood fiction. It's a double edged sword, and perhaps if the movie that portrays it is cheesy or unrealistic in other ways, the baby is more likely to be thrown out with the bathwater than if the movie was a commentary on current state of affairs in a fictional but believable setting, and intelligently done (like V did).

A double-edged sword indeed. There are some very important truths embedded in this film, but I suppose if you wrap said truths in enough fantastical Hollywood special effects and 'cheesiness', you can distract the unsuspecting majority and lay the groundwork for ridiculing those who aren't easily distracted.

Still, I hope the Wachowski brothers keep writing and producing, I very much enjoy their work! :cool:

I was also quite disappointed by this film. The concepts were good, and very interesting, but aside from the sheer intensity of the special effects, I thought it was very poorly done. The characters were really shallow and undeveloped, and IMO the major points of the film were too quickly brought up and then moved past. This might have been really well done as a series, where they could explore the concepts and characters more deeply.

One of the main things that stood out was clearly how much money HAD to have been spent on developing those special effects and battle scenes to prop up a really poorly written storyline. It just seems like a tragic waste. Better that the film had not been made at all and used that money for something else more beneficial, in my opinion.

All in all, I felt like it was pretty lame, and did a complete disservice to the concepts in the story. I think this will end up being more damaging than supporting to the idea of the planet being a "farm." Perhaps it was or was not the Wachowski's intention, but I do think that will be the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom