Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

ok, I'll try to keep it simple but it's all getting to me now and I went a bought some dark choc and have ate a few squares and feeling like I've failed. I'm always hungry, not for food but for sugary things or savory things or things that taste nice and tbh today I'm going a bit crazy and feeling bit lightheaded/anxious. The diet seems so miserable so far and now I'm struggling or having a bad day. I had a meat ball and 1 bit of bacon for breaky and some fat bomb and again for lunch and then some pate and lettuce for dinner (which was ok and a welcome change to bacon), but I'm hungry and I think my body is telling me its starving to get me to go back to my old diet.

Online Keto recipes all contain dairy and stuff. On this forum you have the pig feet aspic which sounds nice. Fed up with bacon, I'm hungry but not for my food.

Can anyone reading this tell me what they ate today so I can try some new tomorrow?

Laura said:
Chili? Verboten. Nightshade. All peppers except black pepper should be eliminated along with other nightshade plants such as tomatoes, potatoes, even goji berries.

I suspected chilli was bad after I after I had put it in and remember reading about chillis, but I needed some flavour just to keep me going. My entry into Keto isnt going as perfect as I wanted it to be. Sugar, milk, gluten are narcotics.

mugatea said:
ok, I'll try to keep it simple but it's all getting to me now and I went a bought some dark choc and have ate a few squares and feeling like I've failed. I'm always hungry, not for food but for sugary things or savory things or things that taste nice and tbh today I'm going a bit crazy and feeling bit lightheaded/anxious.

Hello mugatea! I try to observe your travel in the ketogenic diet I like your manner of studying all the things through experiments and how you'r describe your experience.
Hold on, it is need a bit of patience. Here's a bit of information which can help you to step trough you problem

___http://jackkruse.com/brain-gut-9-what-really-killed-michael-jackson/

The gut bacteria become starved, FIAF rises, and this makes the human host burn its own fat for fuel and fat stores are depleted. This is precisely how the dance between our gut bacteria and our own adipose tissues is supposed to work in normal conditions. As amazing as this sounds it gets more bizarre. Since our gut flora controls our ability to make and store fat what if I told you they also might control our desires for the foods that they really want, namely fiber and carbohydrates? Well, this is precisely what happens. The gut flora control the levels of neurotransmitters, agouti, ghrelin, and NPY in the peripheral and central nervous system and this drives us to want to eat things. I have covered this numerous times already in many past blogs. The type of gut flora we employ actually is tied to the appetite, desires, and to the reward of the food with respect to the brain’s frontal lobes. (central dopamine levels)

Don't forget vinegar or Betaine HCL or something else what could help your digestive system!

Mugatea, I had wicked cravings when first going keto. Like for biscuits and Cheetos and other junk that I hadn't eaten in years. What helps is increasing your fat. A lot. Not so much that you're running to the toilet but probably more than you think. If you have any L-glutamine that also helps with cravings. Additionally, cravings are normal when you first start. Your body has to get used to a whole new fuel source. Push through it and you'll emerge on the other side.

Here are some ideas I have that might help with the cravings. This has worked well for me in several ways:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=462964;topic=9004.50;last_msg=516259

This, I have found to actually increase the amount and kind of carbs I can have without having problems with energy levels. Of course if you keep eating things you shouldn't, the problems will always come back. But it seems to have helped a lot to improve the bacterial situation in my gut, so it has a better reaction to carbs in general.

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,30683.0.html

If you increase carbs at all, you just keep the gut bacteria alive that crave carbs.

I ate this morning what I eat EVERY morning: a sausage and 5 or 6 pieces of home-smoked bacon (thicker than store-bought).

And, with the sausage (about 5 inches long, 1 inch diameter so it's a nice hefty bit), I put a thick pat of butter on every small bite so that I had eaten about 100 grams of butter by the time I was done with the sausage. Then I took two betaine-hcl capsules.

Doing this, I pretty much kill cravings and hunger feelings for the whole day. Later in the afternoon I may eat a bit, but not because I'm so hungry, but because I still have some protein allowance for the day. If I eat any good amount of fat in the afternoon, I have a couple more betaine capsules.

What to eat in the afternoon? (Never eat later than 6 pm).

4 meatballs one day with pats of butter on each bite. Meatballs had a bit of onion, garlic and oregano in them, fried in deep fat.

3 thin slices of ham one day, spread with home-made mayonnaise and rolled up in a lettuce leaf.

Slice of pork roast one day, with pats of butter on each bite.

Dish of scallops fried in butter with added butter per bite.

Salmon with added lemon and butter.

Chicken breast poached in coconut milk and tarragon with butter bites.

Slice of turkey thigh roasted with sage, garlic, sea-salt and black pepper - butter bites.

Turkey breast poached in coconut milk with tarragon and butter bites.

Steak with foie gras and butter bites.

Chicken salad loaded with mayonnaise on lettuce leaf.

Notice that I have all of the above with no side dishes usually. Once or twice a week I might have 1/2 cup of green beans or the same amount of a sweet potato or green peas. That's pretty much it.

Thing is, once your body gets what it really needs, lots of fat, it STOPS craving variety and spice and flavor and all that and you begin to eat simply to refuel your machine.

That's what the above is all about. Simple, nothing extravagant or costly, saves time and money, fully satisfied all the time.

Laura said:
nothing extravagant or costly
This has been something on my mind. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I've been buying organic pastured beef, pork, eggs, and butter, and it is expensive. Per pound bacon is $12.50, ground pork is $6.75, ground beef is $7.25, and butter is $6. Soy free eggs are $6.50 a dozen. I'm in a city and I don't know any farmers or butchers.

hlat said:
Laura said:
This has been something on my mind. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I've been buying organic pastured beef, pork, eggs, and butter, and it is expensive. Per pound bacon is $12.50, ground pork is $6.75, ground beef is $7.25, and butter is $6. Soy free eggs are $6.50 a dozen. I'm in a city and I don't know any farmers or butchers.

The prices are the same here. It is kinda expensive yea :/ But I think that overall if you consider that you (and your family) need to eat less with this diet, plus consider that you decrease the chance of developing a disease this way (health costs), it is cheaper I think.

You probably thought of this already, but maybe you can also try different ways to save money, a big pot of stew for example can be made with a bit of meat, lots of fat, and some herbs, which can be a great meal for the whole family for a day or two :)

hlat said:
Laura said:

I order meat from a butcher via the internet and he sends it to me in a big box, frozen and all every three weeks or so. The same goes for meat for my dog. Any chance of finding a farmer or butcher in your area that does the same? Maybe contact a few and see if they are willing to do that?
My butcher is (much) cheaper than organic shops.

Brill thanks and thanks Laura! Very kind and patient! I made some homemade chicken liver pate and rolled it lettuce. Best meal I've had yet.

hlat said:
Laura said:

hlat, have you tried US Wellness Meats for beef tallow? It is economical at about $110 for 36 pounds of fat. Assuming you add 50g of fat to each meal, that's about 327 meals, or 109 days if you eat three a day. I'd say ditch the eggs. They are more than six times the price per protein ratio compared to the ground meat. I pay about the same price online for beef and pork.

3D Student said:
hlat, have you tried US Wellness Meats for beef tallow? It is economical at about $110 for 36 pounds of fat. Assuming you add 50g of fat to each meal, that's about 327 meals, or 109 days if you eat three a day. I'd say ditch the eggs. They are more than six times the price per protein ratio compared to the ground meat. I pay about the same price online for beef and pork.
I save and re-use the bacon grease and I render lard from uncooked pig fat, so I haven't thought about trying beef tallow yet.

I find US Wellness Meats to be deceptive, so I've never bought from them. They feed GMO to their pigs. I may change my mind if they start getting an organic certification and have great prices. For now, I consider them liars.
GMO 2 years and counting
_http://blog.grasslandbeef.com/bid/87109/US-Wellness-Pork-II
"This is usually a non-gmo feed ration, however, due to the historic dought of 2012, it has been very difficult (and in some rural areas, almost impossible) for our producers to source and feed a 100% non-gmo ration. We are getting closer to 100% non-gmo, and this post and our website will be updated just as soon as we can claim 100% non-gmo feed once again. Since production is combined, we cannot currently split the gmo and non-gmo fed animals. We hope to have 100% non-gmo fed pork by the end of 2014."
_http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Page.bok?template=faqs.html
Are you certified organic? Why not?
All U.S. Wellness Meats pastures and animals have been maintained with organic principles in mind since 2000.

You do not feed GMO to your animals and then say you are maintaining organic principles.

hlat said:
You do not feed GMO to your animals and then say you are maintaining organic principles.

I've found that organic and pastured pork is pretty hard to source. I'm curious if you have this type of pork in your area? The only farm I know of that does this is Polyface, but they also have a local organic barley source and are big enough to do it. My guess is that's a rare combination, particularly in the US. Monsanto has made it near impossible for organic grain farms to exist, and those that do are expensive. I worked at a farm for a year that had grass fed cows and pastured pigs, and when I started I was a bit dismayed that the pigs weren't fed organic grains. But after becoming familiar with what was involved I don't hold it against them. They are trying to get there in the future, but they need to be big enough to buy feed in large quantities and the pork market isn't as demanding as it is for beef. It's a process and a slow going one given how most people do not shop local nor are they looking for pastured meat. The organic certification also isn't worth much. It's really for big agriculture and it's criminal how they treat their animals.

I think US Wellness may own some of their own farms, but I believe they source much of the meat from other farms. And these farms are probably facing the challenges mentioned.

mugatea,

My meals are always very simple.

1st meal arround 10AM : Arround 100g of cooked meat, liver, kidney, or brain (cut in little pieces) with 80g of fat (lard or ghee) with some broth. I add salt to my taste.

2nd meal arround 6PM : Same as 1st meal but with less fat depending on my feeling (gerenaly arround 40g).

Twice or three times a week I replace the meat, liver, etc by herring.

Twice or three times a week I had 100g of green beans or zucchini (courgette) to the meal.

Period.

Renaissance said:
hlat said:

I've found that organic and pastured pork is pretty hard to source. I'm curious if you have this type of pork in your area? The only farm I know of that does this is Polyface, but they also have a local organic barley source and are big enough to do it. My guess is that's a rare combination, particularly in the US. Monsanto has made it near impossible for organic grain farms to exist, and those that do are expensive. I worked at a farm for a year that had grass fed cows and pastured pigs, and when I started I was a bit dismayed that the pigs weren't fed organic grains. But after becoming familiar with what was involved I don't hold it against them. They are trying to get there in the future, but they need to be big enough to buy feed in large quantities and the pork market isn't as demanding as it is for beef. It's a process and a slow going one given how most people do not shop local nor are they looking for pastured meat. The organic certification also isn't worth much. It's really for big agriculture and it's criminal how they treat their animals.

I think US Wellness may own some of their own farms, but I believe they source much of the meat from other farms. And these farms are probably facing the challenges mentioned.

I agree. There are good sources of non-GMO grain/mix supplemental feeds for pigs. The fact that they are non-GMO suggests (but does not guarantee) that they are free of the worst of Monsanto's chems.

I have talked with the US Wellness folks many times and suggested better partition of their pork - even at higher prices. Their farm suppliers generally rely on non-GMO feeds, however their suppliers will not guarantee it in the face of availability/price issues - so, USW cannot guarantee it.

mugatea said:
ok, I'll try to keep it simple but it's all getting to me now and I went a bought some dark choc and have ate a few squares and feeling like I've failed. I'm always hungry, not for food but for sugary things or savory things or things that taste nice and tbh today I'm going a bit crazy and feeling bit lightheaded/anxious. The diet seems so miserable so far and now I'm struggling or having a bad day. I had a meat ball and 1 bit of bacon for breaky and some fat bomb and again for lunch and then some pate and lettuce for dinner (which was ok and a welcome change to bacon), but I'm hungry and I think my body is telling me its starving to get me to go back to my old diet.

Online Keto recipes all contain dairy and stuff. On this forum you have the pig feet aspic which sounds nice. Fed up with bacon, I'm hungry but not for my food.

Can anyone reading this tell me what they ate today so I can try some new tomorrow?

Laura said:
Chili? Verboten. Nightshade. All peppers except black pepper should be eliminated along with other nightshade plants such as tomatoes, potatoes, even goji berries.

I suspected chilli was bad after I after I had put it in and remember reading about chillis, but I needed some flavour just to keep me going. My entry into Keto isnt going as perfect as I wanted it to be. Sugar, milk, gluten are narcotics.

Hi Mugatea!

I thought I'd share my experience so far with you as after a few weeks of paleo I have just transitioned to a Ketogenic diet - I bought my Ketostix urine strips today and they confirm that I am between 15 and 40mg/dL on the colour chart - so I feel a little personal victory!

I can however totally relate to the cravings. Not feeling hungry, but feeling I could consume a whole pizza with no problem! I struggle with willpower, however I think what helps is simply not having things in the house that I can 'cheat' on, and feeling determined that what I am doing is trying to treat my body kindly, not polluting it as much as possible and keeping my mind busy and focused on things that distract me from cravings.

With regards to meals - my husband and I bought a leg of lamb on Saturday. We slow roasted it on Sunday, my husband ate his with vegetables and potato croquettes, and I had mine with butter soaked vegetables. We carved the remaining lamb into 4 days worth of portions, freezing 2 and refrigerating 2 for the next couple of days. I then made bone broth with the bone, adding the juice from the roast as it was not burned and full of flavour.
I then used the broth to make a stew, I added 2 leeks, some chopped onion, cabbage and a few small carrots, after the vegetables had softened over a couple of hours cooking slowly I added 2 of the portions of lamb and some organic bullion for flavour.

Previous to this I also tried the recipe for cream cheese pancakes here at :
_http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html
Although be careful if the egg whites are bothersome for you.

Perhaps a snack suggestion for you that would curb cravings for 'crunchy' things might be celery sticks with full fat cream cheese as a dip, or mayonnaise or herb butter?

I hope you manage to make it through the tricky transition - you're not the only one and I'm toughing it out with you =)

Back
Top Bottom