Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

I'm really beginning to realise just what a self serving act the SAD is. Its all about emotional highs and pleasure and constant snacking and nothing about refueling the body. Its so STS and I didnt really see that's its an addiction till I was a couple of weeks into keto.

Anyway still going strong but my enegy levels still blow so I think im still keto adapting. I can't do butter bites, not liking my bone broths so am making a new batch without adding fat. I have made some brill mayo, first with grapeseed oil then with half n half of grape seed and butter- I love mayo!

mugatea said:
I'm really beginning to realise just what a self serving act the SAD is. Its all about emotional highs and pleasure and constant snacking and nothing about refueling the body. Its so STS and I didnt really see that's its an addiction till I was a couple of weeks into keto.

Anyway still going strong but my enegy levels still blow so I think im still keto adapting. I can't do butter bites, not liking my bone broths so am making a new batch without adding fat. I have made some brill mayo, first with grapeseed oil then with half n half of grape seed and butter- I love mayo!

Yup. It's hard to explain to anyone who isn't in ketosis for a while the difference. It may not be at all obvious from the Work point of view why diet is so important, but once experienced, it becomes obvious that the standard kind of diet like everything else in our lives is a key aspect of keeping people where they are. And making this kind of radical change opens up many possibilities that would have been hard to imagine. It's a giant step in becoming an "STO candidate" when maximizing all the benefits of ketosis (in addition to all the health improvements). Your energy should get better once fully adapted and having enough fat figured out - in fact, you can't compare the long-lasting energy of ketones/fat to the quickly diminishing sugar energy. Keep at it, it's really worth it.

SeekinTruth said:
mugatea said:

Yup. It's hard to explain to anyone who isn't in ketosis for a while the difference. It may not be at all obvious from the Work point of view why diet is so important, but once experienced, it becomes obvious that the standard kind of diet like everything else in our lives is a key aspect of keeping people where they are. And making this kind of radical change opens up many possibilities that would have been hard to imagine. It's a giant step in becoming an "STO candidate" when maximizing all the benefits of ketosis (in addition to all the health improvements). Your energy should get better once fully adapted and having enough fat figured out - in fact, you can't compare the long-lasting energy of ketones/fat to the quickly diminishing sugar energy. Keep at it, it's really worth it.

I couldn't agree more.
I noticed that I'd become totally obsessed with thinking about food more than ever after starting the diet and missing my old sugar habits, I think that's part of my struggle, just the realisation how self obsessed I was becoming (more than before- didn't think that was even possible) and it forced me to realise that being so focused on food/weight/eating is all part of the sts plan to keep us in misery.
The last few days have been better for me, I've upped my fat and stopped worrying that I might put on the baby weight I just lost and eating fat fat fat til I'm absolutely full and feel a little sick even. This has kicked my cravings for anything else right in the butt. Just the thought of eating my old high fruit, veggie and 'healthy sugar' diet turns me off. I'm so full of fat that if I spent too much time in the sun I'd quickly turn into a crispy lardon. :) yum

I used the search engine to try to find info on what the PH of the body should range with no luck. My understanding, being on the keto diet the PH is more on the acidic side. I got tested yesterday at the dr`s office (yearly exam) and my PH came back 4.5. Has anyone experienced acidosis being on the keto diet? Thanks.

Nancy2feathers said:
I used the search engine to try to find info on what the PH of the body should range with no luck. My understanding, being on the keto diet the PH is more on the acidic side. I got tested yesterday at the dr`s office (yearly exam) and my PH came back 4.5. Has anyone experienced acidosis being on the keto diet? Thanks.

What is that the pH of? Urine?

SeekinTruth said:
Nancy2feathers said:

What is that the pH of? Urine?

Yes. The urine ph was tested. came back 4.5

Nancy2feathers said:

That sounds okay. If you know someone with a ketometer, that will be more reliable: pH in blood. Urine can have a different pH than that one of the blood.

Urine Test
_http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/urine-test?page=3

Normal: 4.6–8.0

Don't forget to drink enough water :flowers:

Well I been doing resistance training at home but joined a gym yesterday - only £21 a month and they have a steam room and sauna with that. An an hour and a half before I started working out at gym I had my dinner which was liver and mayo and then when I came back I tried to eat more as I'm not eating enough. Yesterday night my stomach was hurting and I woke at 4:30 in a lot of discomfort. It's right in the front centre and just below the rib cage. The pain has now gone and I just have some discomfort. Not sure if its cause I ate too soon before/after gym or if I'm constipated as I haven't poo'd in a couple of days. When I started I'd take a couple of magnesium tablets before bed and that helped keep me regular but nothing so far. In other forums they talk about fibre. Is this something I need?

mugatea said:
Well I been doing resistance training at home but joined a gym yesterday - only £21 a month and they have a steam room and sauna with that. An an hour and a half before I started working out at gym I had my dinner which was liver and mayo and then when I came back I tried to eat more as I'm not eating enough. Yesterday night my stomach was hurting and I woke at 4:30 in a lot of discomfort. It's right in the front centre and just below the rib cage. The pain has now gone and I just have some discomfort. Not sure if its cause I ate too soon before/after gym or if I'm constipated as I haven't poo'd in a couple of days. When I started I'd take a couple of magnesium tablets before bed and that helped keep me regular but nothing so far. In other forums they talk about fibre. Is this something I need?

I'd try to eat as late as possible after a workout if at all. In this case your body will continue to burn it's own fats. Actually much fiber causes in most cases constipation. Have you checked Fiber Menace by Konstantin Monastyrsky? Check what he writes about fiber on his website: _http://www.gutsense.org/fibermenace/fm_chapter1.html. Your stomach may have hurted because you probably eat too late and too much protein. It's not recommended to eat after 18:00. You may also try good probiotics in order to get rid of constipation.

Altair said:
mugatea said:

I'd try to eat as late as possible after a workout if at all. In this case your body will continue to burn it's own fats. Actually much fiber causes in most cases constipation. Have you checked Fiber Menace by Konstantin Monastyrsky? Check what he writes about fiber on his website: _http://www.gutsense.org/fibermenace/fm_chapter1.html. Your stomach may have hurted because you probably eat too late and too much protein. It's not recommended to eat after 18:00. You may also try good probiotics in order to get rid of constipation.

Or vitamin C. If you have it in powder form I'd use 1/2 a teaspoon and drink it with water each hour until the tummy starts to make funny noises. It might happen after the first teaspoon or after many. Don't get alarmed if it takes a lot, it means your body needs it.

Gaby said:
Nancy2feathers said:

That sounds okay. If you know someone with a ketometer, that will be more reliable: pH in blood. Urine can have a different pH than that one of the blood.

Urine Test
_http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/urine-test?page=3

Normal: 4.6–8.0

Don't forget to drink enough water :flowers:

Yes, that urine pH is just a bit on the acid side. Probably nothing to worry about, but it's considered healthier to be in the 5.7 to 6 range. But so many things effect urine pH that one test is really not enough to say anything. Also, it's considered that it's normal and healthy that urine is somewhat acid (neutral is pH 7). It tends to fight urinary tract infections when the urine is on the acid side. You can get pH tape/strips and check early in the morning before eating, mid-day, etc. if you are concerned about that single reading that you need to follow up (like I said, it's probably nothing to worry about, but just in case you want to be sure).

But the urine pH will swing widely as the normal course. The blood pH is kept to a very narrow band between 7.3 and 7.4. That would be what would show if there's anything really worrying if the blood pH was out of that range (very rare to occur, as far as I know).

Just made pork scratchings with garlic and chive mayo. It's.... interesting.

I've noticed since starting keto that I've been shopping to replace the high I got from eating. Now that I'm aware I have to be vigilant cause I've read plenty on here and SOTT that the brain doesn't care where it hit comes from. Anyone else experienced this when starting?

Jamie

Alana said:
Altair said:
mugatea said:

Or vitamin C. If you have it in powder form I'd use 1/2 a teaspoon and drink it with water each hour until the tummy starts to make funny noises. It might happen after the first teaspoon or after many. Don't get alarmed if it takes a lot, it means your body needs it.

When taking ascorbic acid orally it's recommended to use a straw to protect enamel.

Altair said:
Alana said:

When taking ascorbic acid orally it's recommended to use a straw to protect enamel.

Yeah +1. And then swishing your mouth with clean water. I brush my teeth sometimes after oral vitamin C too. I have sensitive teeth so I am careful with hot foods too. I cannot drink cold water out of the fridge straight away without pain. I've made some re-mineralizing toothpaste with water instead of coconut oil to help with that too. You can alkalize it also by adding a 1:2 ratio of baking soda to the Vitamin C to make it Sodium Ascorbate, but I think that decreases absorption of the Vitamin C. Fwiw.

About a current controversy : were the Inuit in ketosis?

Eades answered to "Duck Dodgers" by saying that glycogen degrades to lactic acid post mortem, so there is no glycogen in the meat.
But others replied that glucogen does need a few days to ferment... (?)
He explains the fact that no ketones were detected in the blood of Inuits by saying that they were keto-adapted : they used immediately the ketones.

Then along comes the Duck claiming the glycogen survives death and is really there, which, he believes, is why the Inuit, under normal circumstances, don’t have measurable ketones. They’re eating all this meat, which is full of glycogen. What he fails to understand is that the Inuit are keto-adapted. Their lifelong diet of high-fat meat has gotten their ketone-producing-and-consuming systems working in precisely controlled fashion. Like, dare I say it, a well-oiled machine.

The Inuit burn ketones as they make them, so it stands to reason that they might not have measurable ketones under normal circumstances.

_http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/beware-confirmation-bias/

Then, maybe we will not see high ketones level with the ketone meter after a while in ketosis ?

Answering to Eades, there is this article : _http://freetheanimal.com/2014/10/damned-inuit-diet.html

It says that Inuits were not in ketosis because they consumed too much glucose.

"It's entirely possible that chronic ketogenic diets are well tolerated and beneficial to health, but the published scientific literature clearly shows us that the Inuit can no longer be offered as evidence for such a claim."

What do you think of his argument?

Also, it is interesting to read this article, about the "meat experiment" : http://www.sott.net/article/263707-Wonders-of-the-Ketogenic-diet-The-Andersen-and-Stefansson-Eskimo-Experiment

This time, however, the diet was even more radical than the traditional Eskimo diet, which is based on fish and includes a small amount of berries and vegetables - not a lot, but enough to keep them out of ketosis most of the time. Furthermore, since fish is high in omega-3 fatty acids, you could argue that it's all those good fats that keep the Eskimos free of disease. [...]

According to the authors, Andersen usually ate beef, while Stefansson often chose lamb. Both men ate about 800 grams of meat per day in 3-4 meals. The protein contents ranged from 100 to 140 grams, the fat from 200 to 300 grams, and carbohydrates from 7 to 12 grams. In calories, the percentages were 15-25% protein, 75-85% fat, and 1-2% carbohydrate. The carbs came solely from the glycogen of the meat, making this not so much a low-carb as a no-carb diet. [...]

Acetone bodies in daily averages per experimental period ranged from 0.4 to 7.2 gm, with the maximum excretion measured during the year being 12.3 gm.

"but enough to keep them out of ketosis most of the time." Why ?!

Back
Top Bottom