Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

mugatea said:
I've noticed since starting keto that I've been shopping to replace the high I got from eating. Now that I'm aware I have to be vigilant cause I've read plenty on here and SOTT that the brain doesn't care where it hit comes from. Anyone else experienced this when starting?

Jamie

Yep. Bit unnerving to see how... flexible a person can be when it comes to addictive behavior...

I'm over a month into Keto and I think am adapting well. But is it normal to get so tired after a biggish meal? I just cant stay awake.

Jamie

mugatea said:
I'm over a month into Keto and I think am adapting well. But is it normal to get so tired after a biggish meal? I just cant stay awake.

Jamie

Are you taking any carbs with your meal ?
Are you taking too much proteins ?
Because you can have high ketones level but also high glucose level. So still not be in ketosis.

just the carbs from the mayo. I'm prob not getting the total 80g protein a day but close. Generally I think I'm getting the amounts right, its just straight after eating then *bam* I'm tired.

J

mugatea said:
just the carbs from the mayo. I'm prob not getting the total 80g protein a day but close. Generally I think I'm getting the amounts right, its just straight after eating then *bam* I'm tired.

J

Not sure but could it be that your digestion is not close to optimal? Thus taking lots of energy just to digest your "biggish" meal? On the other hand there were many people who mentioned being tired/fatigued (not necessarily after a meal) in this thread (and perhaps the Life Without Bread thread too) during the long journey where keto (adapted and lifestyle) becomes just a part of life. So hard to say at this point what may be your specific issue.

I'd say carry on and pay attention to what may lie at the heart of it. Probably you'll improve in all ways as time goes on. One of the things about a ketogenic diet after adaptation is that you have A LOT more energy and concentration and can go much longer without having to eat. One other thing to throw out is the quality of food - obviously the higher quality the meat and animal fats the better (from healthy pastured animals).

Maybe it could be some kind of food intolerance ? Maybe you could try to fast for two days and then introduce one food after the other and see the results. Bone broth first.

But as SeekinTruth said it could also be the transition period. I had the same thing for maybe two months when transiting from paleo to keto.

Thanks for replying.

I'll just keep going, sure it will sort itself out. I'm using top notch grass fed things foods. Today pig trotter aspic, bacon from pastured cows, some bone broth from grass fed cows. All top proper things. I'm also IF. I'm ok at breakfast time but start to get hungry at lunch when I have my first meal then straight after the tiredness. Will just grind through it.

J

soz, that was pastured pigs not cows.

Three nights in a row I've dreamed about eating savoury cakes. First two nights I found myself eating things I shouldnt be but last night I was in a clients home, heard rumbling upstairs, went up to investigate and there were hundreds of cakes everywhere, I panicked cause of temptation and left the room which is better than eating them like I did the first two nights.

J

So it been about a month now. Half the week I'm IF, I'm eating trotter aspic with homemade mayo bites, grass fed bone broth, bacon with mayo and drinking redbush tea at home and filtered water with added salt when out. Betaine and ox bile with meals help against the squirts plus I'm on other supplements just to help get me going eg probiotics. I'm using raw Shea butter to moisturise and today I got some African black soap, I been using mineral rock deodorant and natural toothpaste. I'm also resistant training and using steam room several times a week and smoking additive free baccy. I've lost half a stone and a bit of my (beer belly).

So huge changes from just over a month ago when I was on the SAD lifestyle inc gluten and dairy.

I think I've become a bit depressed and not sure if its cause of detox or what.

I'm stressed, my energy levels don't seem to be getting better, this evening was bad for cravings so had bone broth with butter but still had cravings - doesn't help house is packed with tasty junk food my bro eats - he won't eat anything but junk food.

I'm a dog walker so can walk 3-4 sometimes 5 hours a day . today did 3 hours then gym, steam room, then had bone broth and trotter aspic with mayo. I was full THEN 1 hour later was hungry again. Maybe I'm not eating enough overall. I'm watched first video of the EE breathing program and looking to that as my next step.

BTW, do peeps really measure their fat/protein count? I just eat and make sure plenty of fat - I'm not a big eater.

J

mugatea said:
BTW, do peeps really measure their fat/protein count? I just eat and make sure plenty of fat - I'm not a big eater.

I weigh my meat when it is cooked (more or less 100g per meal depending on variety of meat). I weigh the added fat but don't consider the fat content of the meat.
So, it is not very precise measure.

When I'm not home I measure quantity by the eye.

mugatea said:

Hi mugatea, measuring the far/protein ratio isn't that easy. Like Goemon said, you can weight the meat after it's cooked. I would try to have at least 1/3 of the cut as fat and you can always add exta butter or lard to the meat if it's not enough.

The sugar cravings take some time to disappear but once you've strictly followed the diet for at least a few weeks, you won't feel the temptation of grabbing that piece of cake anymore. The body takes some time to fully adapt to ketosis.

Goemon_ said:
mugatea said:

I weigh my meat when it is cooked (more or less 100g per meal depending on variety of meat). I weigh the added fat but don't consider the fat content of the meat.
So, it is not very precise measure.

When I'm not home I measure quantity by the eye.
I started by weighing my meat when it is in a raw state, now I just do it by eye. As Laura has stated, adding fat (butter etc) in a size that covers the meat 'slice' is a good way to measure the fat content needed (over and above any fat in the meat itself). Pork belly is a meat that has an abundance of fat, as is a cheap cut of meat. And, mayo in addition is another way of adding fat. :)

Thanks for the replies, I was feeling down yesterday. Pretty guaranteed if I'm down it's cause I'm tired through not resting or eating enough - jeez I can get so depressed but thankfully I just need to eat or rest and BAM I'm back to normal. So feeling much better today but am on double Betaine as I'm a bit squirty which aint much fun when out dog walking.

Regarding fat I usually have equal amounts of mayo with a forkful of what meat I'm eating. I just eat till full and try to do so in a window so I can IF - so usually 2 meals a day with some bone broth which I'm really enjoying. Tip! Lots and lots of black pepper!

Jamie

mugatea said:

I use a digital scale. If you're going for protein restriction as stated in Primal Body Primal Mind, then shoot for 25 grams of protein per meal. At first you will probably want to eat more protein than that before reducing it. Daily it is recommended to eat 0.8-1.5 g/kg of ideal body weight, depending on activity level. Keep in mind that various meats can be 25% protein, so the actual weight of the meat you measure will be around 100g.

For fat shoot for a 3:1 (or more) ratio of fat to protein + carbs in calories. Remember fat is 9 calories per gram and protein and carbs are only 4 per gram. Eating double the weight of fat versus protein seems to be close to what is needed. Eating more fat than needed is ok as long as you can digest it.

mugatea said:

Regarding fat I usually have equal amounts of mayo with a forkful of what meat I'm eating. I just eat till full and try to do so in a window so I can IF - so usually 2 meals a day with some bone broth which I'm really enjoying. Tip! Lots and lots of black pepper!

Jamie
You may well like to add an equal amount of butter, ghee, etc, with the mayo and meat. There is almost always more room for fat - for staying healthy - especially with what is predicted for the future. Fat bombs help too. :)

Back
Top Bottom