Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Yeah, I'm a no-go on nuts. I used to eat them like crazy, while on keto, but once I eliminated them and reintroduced, they proved to upset my stomach, give me headaches, and generally make me feel crappy. There was a time that I could eat bags of cashews and macadamias in one sitting because I loved them, but now I don't have any kind of cravings for them.

Yeah, I haven't been eating nuts for several years. I have to agree that cashews, especially, and macadamias can be very addictive and craving inducing - it's really hard to eat just a few, so better avoid them completely.

Blast!

If you are feeling like a salty or sweet type of snack, what do you reach for? This is not an easy transition, but I'm working on it!

Dylan said:
Blast!

If you are feeling like a salty or sweet type of snack, what do you reach for? This is not an easy transition, but I'm working on it!

Have you tried pork rinds with a slab of butter and zylitol? :D

I did just finish a breakfast which included bacon roasted with olive oil and garlic, which was good.

In my experience if you crave for sweet you'd better not eat anything sweet because you will likely be drive to crave for more.

A sweet fat bomb with 30gr of fat and 5gr of carbs could be ok for me if I didn't eat too much carbs previously in the day.

Also I prefer to eat it as a desert and avoid snacking.

When I can't avoid snacking I like to use some salami with ghee.

Dylan said:
Blast!

What helped me during trancision was hold off the total protein per meal (25 g) is exceeded when they arrived cravings, I think it is important to consider the total daily protein as well as total fat keep you satisfied for hours, A fat bomb in these cases is wonderful.

For the last couple of days I've been taking coffee with coconut oil and butter (maybe 25g each) as a start to my keto diet regime. It has given me an amazing amount of energy for about 4-6hrs but then I crash.

Traditionally I have drunk 1 coffee in the mornings for some years but I have never experienced that much energy or that much of a crash. The coffee is organic (but not bulletproof grade). I've reduced the carbs in my diet considerably (only minimal carbs for my evening meal the last 2 days).

My question is; has anyone experienced this themselves? Is it due to starting a keto diet, to a larger amount of fat I'm not used to, possibly a caffine/fat interaction or something else?

Tomorrow I might replace the coffee with green tea and see how that goes.

Many thanks

Agamemnon said:
For the last couple of days I've been taking coffee with coconut oil and butter (maybe 25g each) as a start to my keto diet regime. It has given me an amazing amount of energy for about 4-6hrs but then I crash.

Traditionally I have drunk 1 coffee in the mornings for some years but I have never experienced that much energy or that much of a crash. The coffee is organic (but not bulletproof grade). I've reduced the carbs in my diet considerably (only minimal carbs for my evening meal the last 2 days).

My question is; has anyone experienced this themselves? Is it due to starting a keto diet, to a larger amount of fat I'm not used to, possibly a caffine/fat interaction or something else?

Many thanks

Are you having just the coffee by itself or is it part of your breakfast? If you're just having coffee by itself in the morning it may be a bit unrealistic to expect it to last you all day even on the keto diet. I'm just wondering if you're eating enough during the day.

Also, how do you define "crash"?

Odyssey said:
Agamemnon said:

Many thanks

Are you having just the coffee by itself or is it part of your breakfast? If you're just having coffee by itself in the morning it may be a bit unrealistic to expect it to last you all day even on the keto diet. I'm just wondering if you're eating enough during the day.

Also, how do you define "crash"?

You need to increase the amount of fat a little by little. I am in full ketosis and still I get tired/dizzy if if I take 30-35g of fat in one shot, especially when I am not moving my body and sitting in the office all day. I think body has a limit to take fat for digestion, too.

Some people in my house are actually doing butter coffee fairly regularly for breakfast. I personally cannot tolerate coffee very well. Even though, the bulletproof I get a little bit jittery after. I do butter tea instead almost every day as breakfast. Then, after 6 hours or so, at the lunch time I have 3 ounces of meat with broth. You need to remember that you still need some protein in your diet to build and repair tissues and bones etc. It takes some time for body to get used to so listen to what your body says and start with the amount of fat you can tolerate.

You might also want to try eliminating coffee for a while and then reintroduce it a few months later. Many people find coffee quite problematic - but it must be eliminated for a while to see if it IS a problem for you individually.

Menrva said:
Hi Εἰρήvη​,
I wouldn't stress too much about being in ketosis. Your body is craving what it's craving for a reason. :)

You may want to add some potassium citrate or gluconate and see if that helps. It calms the heart. Try to keep animals fats in your diet, some fat soluble vitamins and just do the best you can to stay low carb/paleo until you deliver.
Dear Menrva, thank you for your advice. I am going to do some more research about the influence of potassium citrate or gluconate on pregnancy. By the way none of regular cardiologists were able to help me with the heart problem, because they know nothing about paleo diet and ketosis, which is very sad. And my heart patterns are completely normal when I am either in ketosis, or on low carbs. I am only having problems during the transitional time, from low carbs to ketosis. My health insurance only covers those doctors with common knowledge. But I guess it is better to do my own research and rely on myself and on help of or dear forum members.
I was very surprised to see this article on SOTT.net: http://www.sott.net/article/291883-Paleo-cardiologist-Never-inject-chemicals-into-ourselves-and-into-our-children-in-order-to-boost-our-immune-systems
First of all, it is very unusual for a mainstream media to show an alternative opinion on vaccination. But what is even more interesting in this article to me is that there are doctors who call themselves Paleo cardiologists. It sounds like the kind of doctor I would like to visit.

I was also crazy about nuts 2 years ago, when I was lowering my carbs and substituting them for nuts. It was a big mistake. Not only nuts are very addictive, but they contain Phytic Acid and high amounts of tannins. Nuts also contain carbohydrates. Also, you will never be able to lose weight on paleo, while eating nuts. My weight loss has stopped the moment I put a nut in my mouth. I tried soaking them, but the flavor you are looking for is no longer there. They actually taste pretty disgusting. So I think it is better to stop eating nuts altogether.

Yes, I am going to sorrowfully finish this last bag of cashews and be done with them. Weight is not a big concern for me as I'm a professional tree climber, but finding the right diet to fuel my body and mind is! The keto diet is fairly difficult to transition to, but on the days I've been a good boy at breakfast and go to work with a belly full of fats and proteins I definitely notice being more energetic and sharp, so to speak. Being a guy who makes a living with sharp steel tools, it is important for my mind to be honed as well!

Dylan said:
Yes, I am going to sorrowfully finish this last bag of cashews and be done with them. Weight is not a big concern for me as I'm a professional tree climber, but finding the right diet to fuel my body and mind is! The keto diet is fairly difficult to transition to, but on the days I've been a good boy at breakfast and go to work with a belly full of fats and proteins I definitely notice being more energetic and sharp, so to speak. Being a guy who makes a living with sharp steel tools, it is important for my mind to be honed as well!

I know it hurts (a favourite of mine used to be dipping cashews in butter..mmm) but it's for the best. Try a 30 day elimination and you may be surprised at the bad symptoms they can give you, especially in large doses. Sounds like a cool job by the way :) .

SeekinTruth said:
You might also want to try eliminating coffee for a while and then reintroduce it a few months later. Many people find coffee quite problematic - but it must be eliminated for a while to see if it IS a problem for you individually.

Yep. Just an N=1, but coffee consistently gives me depression and itchy skin, very similar to gluten symptoms. It ain't the caffeine either. You may be one of the lucky ones, but there's only one way to find out for sure.

Back
Top Bottom