Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

First of all, here's a picture of our latest broth batch, using pig bones, and a couple pig feet. When it's done we remove the bones and blend. As for the second picture, after seeing the supreme gelatinous quality of the batch, Alana had an idea: chocolate pudding. So one cup of broth, a couple teaspoons of xylitol, and a teaspoon of cocoa powder later... well, just look at the picture. Definitely not something to have too often or in large amounts (Christmas might be a suitable option), but wow. This stuff is delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 23

Approaching Infinity said:
As for the second picture, after seeing the supreme gelatinous quality of the batch, Alana had an idea: chocolate pudding. So one cup of broth, a couple teaspoons of xylitol, and a teaspoon of cocoa powder later... well, just look at the picture. Definitely not something to have too often or in large amounts (Christmas might be a suitable option), but wow. This stuff is delicious.
What a fantastic idea ... gotta try that too.
But not sure if I can wait till Christmas, though. :lol:

nicklebleu said:
As for the second picture, after seeing the supreme gelatinous quality of the batch, Alana had an idea: chocolate pudding. So one cup of broth, a couple teaspoons of xylitol, and a teaspoon of cocoa powder later... well, just look at the picture. Definitely not something to have too often or in large amounts (Christmas might be a suitable option), but wow. This stuff is delicious.
What a fantastic idea ... gotta try that too.
But not sure if I can wait till Christmas, though. :lol:

:lol: Thank goodness Canadian Thanksgiving is just around the corner! I've actually been trying to experiment with zero-carb cakes since I've tasked myself with making a low carb, anti-inflammatory dessert for thanksgiving for some of my paleo friends. I'll definitely be trying out your and Alana's experiment. Thanks for sharing!

I'm wondering if anyone reuses the bones? I remember someone posted a link where one made broth from the same bones for 12 days? From what I've read we would remove the bones and store the broth in some other container then put the bones back in the pot (unless you have another pot that can be used), add water and start the process again. I'm thinking that would be a good way to stretch out a batch if you're running low on bones and get more out of them.

I took out the last batch of bones but didn't freeze them until about 1hr later (got tied up with other things and wasn't able to start another batch right away). So not sure if re-using those would be okay as there could have been bacterial growth on them? My guess would be it might be okay but I remember reading something about cooling and reheating the same food too often is not good, and I assume that would also apply to bones.

fabric said:
I'm wondering if anyone reuses the bones? I remember someone posted a link where one made broth from the same bones for 12 days? From what I've read we would remove the bones and store the broth in some other container then put the bones back in the pot (unless you have another pot that can be used), add water and start the process again. I'm thinking that would be a good way to stretch out a batch if you're running low on bones and get more out of them.

I took out the last batch of bones but didn't freeze them until about 1hr later (got tied up with other things and wasn't able to start another batch right away). So not sure if re-using those would be okay as there could have been bacterial growth on them? My guess would be it might be okay but I remember reading something about cooling and reheating the same food too often is not good, and I assume that would also apply to bones.
I seem to recall that in the past in Scotland they passed the bones from house to house for about six days, by which time, the last processing had finally exhausted the goodness in the bones.

Hello everybody! After reading all the posts , I started KD yesterday with pig broth and IF.
I was a bit afraid of starting earlier because of my operation (parotis disectomy) and all the poison, anestetics, they put in my body .
But all went well. I waited a week and now I am in my second day of KD.
I did the Paleo diet for nearly a year.
Yesterday I felt a bit tired, but I could not tell if it was the fasting or still the result of this operation. Feeling fine today.

I saw Laura's answer to Nicklebleu that this was an experiment lasting a year.
Just have a question : What after one year?

Went to the butcher this morning for beef bones and he was really happy he could give them to me for free, because he has to pay to get rid of them!

I tried a different way to make bone broths these last times and I personnaly do not use bones several times, because I also take the marrow contained in bones. Let me explain.

I put bones of pigs (with meat on them yet), approximately (depends of the size of them) 6 bones marrow together from the beginning of the cooking. After approximately 6 hours, I add 2 feet of pork in the pot. At the end of the cooking I let the whole warm and I get back with one skimmer all bones and put them in a big plate. I keep the feet pig in another plate going later in the refrigerator to eat them of course, it so good! Thus at this time, I just have broth in my pot.

After this, I empty marrow bones in the mixer, I get back with hands all the pieces of meat and cartilage which stays on pork's bones and put them in the mixer two. I mix the whole together with a litlle bit of broth and I put back the whole in the pot. At this time it is ready to go (before being too cold) in several glass cans of food, put them in my refrigerator and some hours later, I have a broth in three floors in the canning.
Below: Jelly;
In the middle: Part of meat;
And at the top: Fat.

Which makes of this bone broth a complete lunch requiring only little or no addition of meat (in case of it would be too expensive in the future) for the rest of the day. Of course, as bones are free, this makes the most ship meal I know. At the moment where I need to warm some, I just add some fat pork.

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=671006BoneBrothMG6122ScarlettPhotographies.jpg

And hereafter the fat pork I've made on this Sunday:

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=636095PorkFatMG6118ScarlettPhotographies.jpg

Regarding the cold adaptation because of the weather, I had noticed previously I was cold enough due to the very wet cold in my appartment. To explain, it is colder inside than outside. When I go out I feel hot by wearing the same than inside home.
On Sunday evening, I had all the flu symptoms and went sleep earlier than usual. On the Monday morning, all symptoms were gone, and from this moment it looks I have a better ability to support the cold even in my house. From yesterday I also could take cold showers better than the previous days.
Thus I suppose that I have still crossed another step in the KD and its regenerative effects. :cool:

First of all, here's a picture of our latest broth batch, using pig bones, and a couple pig feet. When it's done we remove the bones and blend. As for the second picture, after seeing the supreme gelatinous quality of the batch, Alana had an idea: chocolate pudding. So one cup of broth, a couple teaspoons of xylitol, and a teaspoon of cocoa powder later... well, just look at the picture. Definitely not something to have too often or in large amounts (Christmas might be a suitable option), but wow. This stuff is delicious.

Wow that looks amazing! Are you using a crock pot or leaving a pot on the stove overnight to make this stuff? I'm using a crock pot and it's very rare that I get a batch like that. And what's your approximate water to bone ratio there? Doesn't have to be too specific, I would really just love a ballpark that could get me a broth that good. Thanks :)

Megan said:
WIN 52 said:
...They all were nervous about my cooking...

Maybe they should be. High fat and high carbs do not mix. Were these people all low-carbers?

No, they were high-carbers who rarely eat bacon and certainly render as much fat as possible out of the bacon before throwing the lard out. Their belief is that animal fat is evil.

If it is that evil, why was animal fat a preferred offering for atonement of sins in the temple of God?

fabric said:

I mentioned reusing bones here
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.msg362631.html#msg362631

I have not tried this womans recipe though. So I can't say what the first broth would look like compared to say the 4th. If you scroll down on my post, you will see the reply TruthSeeker gave me which made a lot of sense. She noted she's done multiple boils adding fresh bones in with the old, not more than three times. That would stretch out your reserves of bones.

As far as freezing bones that were raw, then cooked, I found this from the USDA on freezing.
"Refreezing
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F. "
Here's the link to the complete article on freezing
_http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Focus_On_Freezing/index.asp

I hope that helps, Fabric.

WIN 52 said:
Megan said:
WIN 52 said:

Maybe they should be. High fat and high carbs do not mix. Were these people all low-carbers?

No, they were high-carbers who rarely eat bacon and certainly render as much fat as possible out of the bacon before throwing the lard out. Their belief is that animal fat is evil.

If it is that evil, why was animal fat a preferred offering for atonement of sins in the temple of God?

The point is that if they are on a high carb diet then adding high fat to that can be deadly, so feeding those particular people that was, in fact, not healthy since they are on a high carb diet. Carbs must be reduced or removed for a high fat diet to be healthy, which it is, very healthy, if carbs are removed.

Hesper said:

Wow that looks amazing! Are you using a crock pot or leaving a pot on the stove overnight to make this stuff? I'm using a crock pot and it's very rare that I get a batch like that. And what's your approximate water to bone ratio there? Doesn't have to be too specific, I would really just love a ballpark that could get me a broth that good. Thanks :)

We use a big pot, kind of like this one:
cooking_pots.jpg

We start it in the morning, bring it to a boil, then bring it down to a simmer (lowest heat on our gas stove) for around 8 hours. When the bones are in the pot, there are usually a couple sticking out the top of the water, but it's not like the pot is packed full of bones. If they were in a bag, the bag would probably be approximately the size of a small head. I'll try to take a picture next time to give a better idea.

anart said:
WIN 52 said:
Megan said:
WIN 52 said:

The point is that if they are on a high carb diet then adding high fat to that can be deadly, so feeding those particular people that was, in fact, not healthy since they are on a high carb diet. Carbs must be reduced or removed for a high fat diet to be healthy, which it is, very healthy, if carbs are removed.

Thanks Anart. I do not know all the details as there are many distractions on this path. I know for me that meal left me feeling quite bloated. I assumed it was the cheese. For them, they said they had much more energy than normal that day. I did not feed them bread or potatoes as they requested. I do not have that type of food in my fridge. The women did comment on the lack of food in my fridge and how was I going to provide them with a meal that would fill them up. That seemed to work for them, though I was a bit sluggish.

MK Scarlett said:
Regarding the cold adaptation because of the weather, I had noticed previously I was cold enough due to the very wet cold in my appartment. To explain, it is colder inside than outside. When I go out I feel hot by wearing the same than inside home.
Thus I suppose that I have still crossed another step in the KD and its regenerative effects. :cool:
That is my situation and experience too.

anart said:
WIN 52 said:
Megan said:
WIN 52 said:

Exactly. That is where I was going, once I had an answer to the question I asked. I do not understand, however, what the reference to "evil" has to do with the answer.

If someone (my housemate, for example) is influenced by my high fat intake to try eating more fat, I make sure that person knows that this is something that has only been shown to be safe if carbohydrate intake is restricted at the same time. To simply encourage someone to eat high-fat, even if only for one meal, without mentioning that would, to my mind, be withholding important information.

Back
Top Bottom