Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Zim, are you taking any omega 3, as in fish- and cod liver oil?

Aragorn said:

Are you taking potassium iodide to protect against nuclear radiation and urinary loss? Extra salt? Magnesium?

Aragorn said:

Not in this moment I have omega 3 in pills but I´m not taking it....

Laura said:
Aragorn said:

Are you taking potassium iodide to protect against nuclear radiation and urinary loss? Extra salt? Magnesium?

I’m taking sea salt, I added to the bone broth with butter and vinegar, but I´m not taking potassium iodine or magnesium yet, there must be many things that I missed from this thread!!! :huh: Or I didn’t pay attention to the supplements here… :headbash:. I´m just focusing in eating the bone broth, butter, 3 lard x 1 protein , taking vit C, black tea or chamomile tea, this is the food that I carry everywhere I go. ;)

I’m sorry to be lost here about the other supplements, :-[ that´s why my body have a deficit of several minerals that I didn’t know, plus the stress I´m handling now with my mother in a hospital, my kids sick, pressure in my work working late at night :whistle: :headbash:

As a way to put in order this process KD I must pay attention to:
1- Diet : 3 lard x 1 protein, -20 to 0 carbs per day
2- Resistance Training during the afternoons ( mini weights of 4lb by now)
3- Vitamins :
a. omega 3
b. C
c. Magnesium ( there are magnesium that sells here but it is for the stomach it is the same)
d. Potassium iodine ( Can I get it in GNC?)
4- IF ( as soon as I understand well all the process I will do it)

Is there something else that I need to take care for this process? :huh:

zim said:
... Potassium iodine ( Can I get it in GNC?)

I think you should be aware that if you do have thyroid issues and it turns out that Hashimoto's disease is involved, it's not exactly clear whether supplementing with potassium iodide would be recommended or not. Here is a link to a guest blog post on Paul Jaminet's website that should at least help to enumerate the issues and the variety of divergent views:

_http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-i/

There is a link to Part 2 within Part 1.

Perhaps what it comes down to is that you should pay close attention to what happens to you when you supplement with iodine and when you don't. And if you can find a knowledgable practitioner willing to help you throughly check your thyroid status, that could be useful as well, especially if the hair loss continues -- that is a significant symptom. Personally, however, I would not be inclined to regard lab tests as "absolute proof" of what is going on. They can point to what to try next.

[
quote author=Megan link=topic=28799.msg372070#msg372070 date=1349379590]
zim said:
... Potassium iodine ( Can I get it in GNC?)

I think you should be aware that if you do have thyroid issues and it turns out that Hashimoto's disease is involved, it's not exactly clear whether supplementing with potassium iodide would be recommended or not. Here is a link to a guest blog post on Paul Jaminet's website that should at least help to enumerate the issues and the variety of divergent views:

_http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-i/

Thanks Megan for the link I´ll check it, I think it is urgent for me now to have that T3 test I´ll made this afternoon and back with results !!!

Perhaps what it comes down to is that you should pay close attention to what happens to you when you supplement with iodine and when you don't. And if you can find a knowledgable practitioner willing to help you throughly check your thyroid status, that could be useful as well, especially if the hair loss continues -- that is a significant symptom. Personally, however, I would not be inclined to regard lab tests as "absolute proof" of what is going on. They can point to what to try next.

Ok I´ll try to get a good doctor in my area that help me to find out my thyriod status, meanwhile it is good that I continue with KD? :huh:

zim said:
...Ok I´ll try to get a good doctor in my area that help me to find out my thyriod status, meanwhile it is good that I continue with KD? :huh:

I don't know. Personally, I tend to freak if I think I am losing hair, but there is a history that goes with that (I lost a lot of hair in the past, possibly from my vegan days, and it hasn't grown back). Still, I have been able to proceed lower in carbs with the KD by moving at my own pace. I have worried about hair loss, but it hasn't actually happened.

Variations are possible with a KD, although this experiment involves a specific variation (~0 g/d, broth, resistance exercise). I have backed off at times but stayed in the ketogenic range, which tends to be around 0-50 g/d of carbs, although there may be ways to push it higher (not relevant to what we are doing here). I have more than once shifted higher within the 50 g/d range to experiment or while fixing a problem, then come back down.

The higher part of the range tends to produce BOHB levels of around 0.5 - 5 mmol, while zero carbs might reach 5 - 7 mmol, from what I have been reading. This is not what most people following a KD are doing, I don't think, and isn't intended to be.

Unfortunately, dropping from 50 g/d to 0 g/d can feel not unlike starting from scratch. For that matter I dropped from 45-50 g/d to about 25-30, and then down to zero, and got to go through re-adaptation twice. It would seem that when you keto-adapt, you do so at a particular level, or at least that is the way it has worked for me. It pays to not go higher than you have to.

All I can suggest is do what you need to do, proceed at your own pace, and don't do it "for" anyone else.

Posted by: Megan « on: Today at 12:40:36 AM » said:
Variations are possible with a KD, although this experiment involves a specific variation (~0 g/d, broth, resistance exercise). I have backed off at times but stayed in the ketogenic range, which tends to be around 0-50 g/d of carbs, although there may be ways to push it higher (not relevant to what we are doing here). I have more than once shifted higher within the 50 g/d range to experiment or while fixing a problem, then come back down.

The higher part of the range tends to produce BOHB levels of around 0.5 - 5 mmol, while zero carbs might reach 5 - 7 mmol, from what I have been reading. This is not what most people following a KD are doing, I don't think, and isn't intended to be.

Unfortunately, dropping from 50 g/d to 0 g/d can feel not unlike starting from scratch. For that matter I dropped from 45-50 g/d to about 25-30, and then down to zero, and got to go through re-adaptation twice. It would seem that when you keto-adapt, you do so at a particular level, or at least that is the way it has worked for me. It pays to not go higher than you have to.

All I can suggest is do what you need to do, proceed at your own pace, and don't do it "for" anyone else.

Hi Megan sorry but the I don’t know those terms in bold can you please explain what you mean with those numbers and letters????

Edit=Quote

zim said:
Posted by: Megan « on: Today at 12:40:36 AM » said:

Hi Megan sorry but the I don’t know those terms in bold can you please explain what you mean with those numbers and letters????

The first sentence is just a summary of the parameters of the experiment -- zero carbs (more or less), include bone broth, include resistance exercise. I should have also listed intermittent fasting (IF). If any of that is not clear, you should go back and read the opening portions of this topic.

BOHB (beta-hydroxybutyrate) is the ketone measured by current blood ketone/glucose meters. This also is discussed here in this topic, and you can learn a little about it by searching for "BOHB", although you need to read the entire topic to see all the information. I should have given the "normal" range as about 0.5 to 3.0 mmol, the range that you are likely to fall into while you are still consuming carbs.

The "deep ketosis" range for zero carb intake (also known as "starvation ketosis" since a lot of people seem to think that is the only time it happens) is about 3 - 7 mmol, depending on the individual, activity, and time of day. That's the goal.

Ketoacidosis starts at about 10 mmol. We don't want to go there, or even approach too closely. It won't occur spontaneously unless there is something seriously wrong.

This week I am finally transitioning from a low-carb/Paleo diet to the KD diet w/ resistance training because I have been having difficulty losing weight on the LC/P diet alone (I am not a "spring chicken" anymore with the addition of various medical problems and in the throws of menopause). I had wanted to start the KD diet fully on Monday, however better late in the week then never.

Late Tuesday I began my first batch of bone broth using a recipe from the "Traditional Foods" website (_http://www.traditional-foods.com/bone-broth/) which includes the addition of "beef feet" to boost the gelatin content of the bone broth and vinegar to draw more mineral content from the bones. I roasted the beef bones for about an hour in the oven, placed them in the crock pot along with the "beef feet", 2TBS of vinegar "with the mother", 1TBS sea salt, and then added spring water to about 1" or so above the bones. Brought the broth to a boil and the set the crock pot on low.

Yesterday evening, 24 hours later, the bone broth was complete with quite a bit of fat floating on the top, however I thought it unwise to drink any before bed so I left it on simmer and went to bed.

Starting at the beginning of this week, I have been skipping breakfast (unless supplements count as breakfast ;)), resistance train in the afternoon, and then eat a small portion of protein + fat shortly thereafter. Today instead of eating I had a cup of bone broth. I did not add any additional fat as there was already about an inch of fat floating at the top. I was surprised at the pleasant taste and thought to myself I could get quite used to this (drinking bone broth is the new "fast food"). I also felt as though I had more energy and less brain fog further on in the day, however this may only be a placebo effect. I will know more conclusively as I continue with the KD diet.

Just thought I would mention that I lost a LOT of hair when I separated from my ex husband. I also can see, looking back, that I was in the very early stages of menopause that took about 6 years to finish. And I mean, it came out in handfuls! It has never grown back, either. Only thing that saved me was that I had super thick and heavy hair to begin with. Now I have pretty much a normal head of hair, but it is "thin" to me because of what I was used to having. I was 44 at the time.

After being 'passed over' twice by the local flu bug, it appears the third time was the one. :P This particular virus has been going around Hubby's office for some time. He's had each permutation. This last one hit me with a sore throat, but no other signs. Last night the sore throat was miserable: I had to use throat spray, which I hate, to be able to rest.

This morning, I have no voice, as in what squeaks out is not understandable. I've been drinking broth almost exclusively during the day, and having a portion of meat at the evening meal. I'm still exercising, but its not the muscle building kind, its the maintenance movements for mobility. When things felt 'off', the exercise was cut back.

Hubby's picking up my next batch of ham hocks (which make a bone broth I can't seem to get enough of) tomorrow.

Other than the no voice, and sore throat, I feel 'off' but my mood isn't depressed or frustrated as it usually is with a virus. This is odd, as I've been clinically depressed most of my life.

It was odd enough to report it. ;)

Zim said:
Ok I´ll try to get a good doctor in my area that help me to find out my thyriod status, meanwhile it is good that I continue with KD?

If you do get a thyroid test, try to get a comprehensive one. Many doctors will only measure THS levels. You want T4 and T3 as well. Ideally also reverse T3, as this can be indirectly affected by a low carb diet.
Even if your thyroid is functioning perfectly well, if you are going to test it at least you'll get it properly done, and can more accurately exclude hypothesis.

Gimpy said:
This last one hit me with a sore throat, but no other signs

I have been suffering from a sore throat since July. In all honesty I am my worst enemy, as soon as I get a little bit better I do something stupid, like walking on bare feet or opening the window when it's cold. This is enough to make it worse again, I feel it straight after and always know what I've done wrong....then I feel better again, think I'm all cured, and repeat the same....

Anyway, lately I have been gargling with DMSO and it has helped a lot. So, in case you haven't yet tried it Gimpy, this is something that may help you too?

Gimpy said:
Other than the no voice, and sore throat, I feel 'off' but my mood isn't depressed or frustrated as it usually is with a virus. This is odd, as I've been clinically depressed most of my life.

:thup:
Could well be that your depression was due to a nutritional deficiency, even if just partly, and that is now being corrected?

Laura said:
Just thought I would mention that I lost a LOT of hair when I separated from my ex husband. I also can see, looking back, that I was in the very early stages of menopause that took about 6 years to finish. And I mean, it came out in handfuls! It has never grown back, either. Only thing that saved me was that I had super thick and heavy hair to begin with. Now I have pretty much a normal head of hair, but it is "thin" to me because of what I was used to having. I was 44 at the time.

I've been losing hair on this protocol, too, but I've chalked it up to bodily stress associated with the transition. I doubt it's a thyroid issue as I'm showing no other symptoms (my body temperature is running warm, no coldness in extremities etc.), but I suppose it's possible. I started losing hair in a similar way when I started doing crossfit exercise routines earlier in the year. When I stopped the exercise, the hairloss stopped and it even started growing back. When I started up again, hairloss resumed.

This leads me to believe it has more to do with stress. Not emotional stress, but actual physical stress on the body. Although my current routine of resistance exercise isn't nearly as intense as the crossfit exercise was, I imagine it in conjunction with a radical diet shift would cause a significant amount of stress on the system, at least until one adapts completely.

The last couple of days the hairloss seems to be slowing down, as I think I'm starting to adapt more. I still have the occassional incident where I overdo the fat and end up waking in the middle of the night with extreme nausia which sometimes leads to vomiting. I'm sure this is quite stressful, and I've been working to try and get fat and protein levels right. It's a difficult balance to strike, OSIT.

Just in the interest of full disclosure, however, I don't seem to be having bowel movements anymore, or at least they're so infrequent that they're beyond two week intervals. At two weeks, so far, I've become impatient and given myself an enema instead of waiting it out. I don't feel the least bit constipated, but I wonder if this is good for me. With everyone else here talking about diarrhea/baby poo type symptoms, I thought I should report my own since I seem the complete opposite. I'm wondering if I should add a veg or two here or there to get a bit of fibre going through the system. Maybe nuts? Before dropping protein I was at zero carb for over a year and I was still "going", although it was also quite infrequent (once or twice a week, maybe). Maybe my system is just really slow.

dugdeep said:
Laura said:

I've been losing hair on this protocol, too, but I've chalked it up to bodily stress associated with the transition. I doubt it's a thyroid issue as I'm showing no other symptoms (my body temperature is running warm, no coldness in extremities etc.), but I suppose it's possible. I started losing hair in a similar way when I started doing crossfit exercise routines earlier in the year. When I stopped the exercise, the hairloss stopped and it even started growing back. When I started up again, hairloss resumed.

This leads me to believe it has more to do with stress. Not emotional stress, but actual physical stress on the body. Although my current routine of resistance exercise isn't nearly as intense as the crossfit exercise was, I imagine it in conjunction with a radical diet shift would cause a significant amount of stress on the system, at least until one adapts completely.

The last couple of days the hairloss seems to be slowing down, as I think I'm starting to adapt more. I still have the occassional incident where I overdo the fat and end up waking in the middle of the night with extreme nausia which sometimes leads to vomiting. I'm sure this is quite stressful, and I've been working to try and get fat and protein levels right. It's a difficult balance to strike, OSIT.

Just a note that exercise will up your testosterone level which may speed up your hair loss. Also if you are burning more fat then before you will have more testosterone.
If you are genetically predisposed to androgenic alopecia (if your father or maternal grandfather is bald) could be just a speeding up of natural process. The same happens in menopausal women although usually on a smaller scale.

I wouldn't worry much about this, according to most of biologists male pattern baldness is perfectly natural expression of sexual dimorphism in homo sapiens, the same as crest is in chicken :)

H.E. said:
Just a note that exercise will up your testosterone level which may speed up your hair loss. Also if you are burning more fat then before you will have more testosterone.
If you are genetically predisposed to androgenic alopecia (if your father or maternal grandfather is bald) could be just a speeding up of natural process. The same happens in menopausal women although usually on a smaller scale.

That's a good point, and one I'd forgotten about. When the hair loss first started happening I tried taking saw palmetto, an herb that prevents the conversion of testosterone to 5 Dihydrotestosterone (5-DHT), the form of testosterone that leads to hair loss, prostate enlargement among other issues. It didn't seem to have any effect on the hair loss though.

[quote author=H.E.]
I wouldn't worry much about this, according to most of biologists male pattern baldness is perfectly natural expression of sexual dimorphism in homo sapiens, the same as crest is in chicken :)
[/quote]

Sexual dimorphism, eh? OK, thanks H.E. Guess that's a silver lining if ever there was one :lol:

I wouldn't say I'm overly worried about it, though. I've always had rather thin hair and have been told I'm losing it by various people since my early 20s (although I'd always maintained the same amount of thin hair since then). I guess I'd always kind of thought losing my hair was inevitable (although both my grandfathers had full heads of hair, my father started thinning in his late 50s). This protocol just seems to be speeding things up.

Back
Top Bottom