Leave the world behind

Z...

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
There is nothing like a good ol apocalyptic movie on a rainy friday night.
I was left with mixed feelings about this one. Plot left a lot to be desired, but the suspense element was okay.
Predictive programming galore, perhaps giving us the taste of what's to come - and also downplaying the role of secret cabal that runs the world ( while acknowledging they indeed exists).
Nevertheless there were some nuggets of wisdom in character dialogues.
My favorite moment- self driving Tesla's pile up :)

And this has got to be my favorite movie quote ever:
“I came over here to watch the sunrise and I saw all these people starting their day with such tenacity, such verve. All in an effort to make something of themselves. Make something of our world. I felt so lucky to be a part of that. But then I remembered…what is world actually like.
And I came to more accurate realization - I f.....g hate people.”
Leave The World Behind | Final Trailer | Netflix

I enjoyed it too. I agree about those nuggets in the dialogue. Some pretty good moments (“this the part of the Venn diagram where we overlap”). However I found the ending, while charming, kinda left a lot to fill in with one’s own imagination. True I suppose there wasn’t really much to add, but for example, it never fully explained the little girl and the animals and the lure of the house. Did the deer know Ross and Rachel were there? J/K! 😆

And at the end it leaves a very precise subconscious programming, you have to have a final day bunker built, under your million dollar house.

A future desired by someone perhaps.
And I forgot to say that all those who are not rich are dead or worse..., according to the movie.

Which leaves a trace of anxiety/fear in the subconscious, about the fact that if the movie happens I will not survive, because I am poor and live in a city (that is, all the people).

This Obama production (obvious on purpose?) seemed more like a montage of apocalyptic snippets than a cohesive movie to me with some clichés like the crazy prepper guy or the warning from the animals (natural disasters maybe, but a cyber attack?) Could have been some truthful forewarning that they are supposedly required to provide, or predictive programming if they plan to go the route of the movie. But reinforcement of division (especially between races), hating people/not trusting each other, and staying perpetually afraid, etc., were pushed as usual. Then they make a point to tell you despite talk of a secret cabal, the reality is there's “nobody in charge”. Ok then. Thumbs down Barry and Mike.

I thought it was a bad movie. They somehow managed to make a societal collapse boring, I didn't like any of the characters, and the dialog / writing felt pretty shallow. The only thing that drove it was a handful of 'apocalyptic' type events, but even those were more haphazardly or awkwardly placed than sustaining or compelling. I regretted having watched the whole thing when it was over.

Nobody mentioned that this movie was filmed by Sam Esmail, the creator of Mr. Robot. He delivered same message again: control is illusion. While Mr. Robot was about external corporate control over citizens, this time is citizens' control over their lives, well, the lack of it actually. Hurry up and order yourself a new bunker. Are Obamas into construction business now?

From an aesthetic point of view the movie is gorgeous. Again Esmail creates a captivating screen experience, which is not so common these days. You may not like the script but the shooting is a piece of art.

From an aesthetic point of view the movie is gorgeous. Again Esmail creates a captivating screen experience, which is not so common these days. You may not like the script but the shooting is a piece of art.
I liked the screen experience, especially the house and the bunker shots. They were clean, clear, without being sterile, very modern in stark contrast with Julia Roberts's close-ups. However, it was extra emphasis added, a lingering over (time added), to make up for the superfluity of dynamics (personal + action), which gave very distinct impressions of promo videos for furniture, finishes, swimming pool, lawn etc, also combined with a bordering fixation on refurbishing (where the lifestyle guru is the handyman/contractor-Kevin Bacon, of all people). Who can afford the refurbishing these days? The same people that would paroxysmally suffer from a cyber attack? Dissonant and and antagonistic, to the point of making the screen experience utterly unmemorable which is far from the art effort of the shooting.

I liked the screen experience, especially the house and the bunker shots. They were clean, clear, without being sterile, very modern in stark contrast with Julia Roberts's close-ups. However, it was extra emphasis added, a lingering over (time added), to make up for the superfluity of dynamics (personal + action), which gave very distinct impressions of promo videos for furniture, finishes, swimming pool, lawn etc, also combined with a bordering fixation on refurbishing (where the lifestyle guru is the handyman/contractor-Kevin Bacon, of all people). Who can afford the refurbishing these days? The same people that would paroxysmally suffer from a cyber attack? Dissonant and and antagonistic, to the point of making the screen experience utterly unmemorable which is far from the art effort of the shooting.
For me art is about impressions. Intellectualizing it doesn't really help. Sometimes things are intended not to make sense. David Lynch is a good example. I'm not saying that your perspective is wrong, it's just yours.

Back
Top Bottom