Mystery movies about airplane accidents

Persej

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
All this talk about the strange disappearance of Malaysia Airlines airplane reminded me of two, not very famous, but in my opinion very interesting movies about airplane accidents:

The Langoliers

On a red eye flight to Boston from LA 10 people wake up to a shock. All the passengers and crew have vanished. When they try to contact the ground they make no connections. They land the plane only to discover that things haven't changed. But its like the world is dead. No one is there, the air is still, sound doesn't echo, the food is tasteless. And a distant sound is heard coming closer. A race of monstrous beings bent on their destruction is heading for them, eating everything in sight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112040

Millennium

Bill Smith, chief investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board, is hired to determine whether human error is the cause of an airline crash. He and his team of investigators are very confused by the words on the cockpit voice recorder by the crew relating to the crash. But at the same time, a theoretical physicist named Dr. Arnold Mayer has a real professional curiosity about the crash, which borders on science fiction. While giving a lecture, he talks about time travel and the possibility of visitors from the future. Smith discovers the involvement of an organization of time travellers from a future Earth irreparably polluted who seek to rejuvenate mankind from those about to perish in the past.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097883

I never saw the movie, but the Langoliers story was interesting, and very creepy. Which is to be expected, since it's by Stephen King and all. Definitely a High Strangeness type of story.

I feel I should mention the show Lost (minor Spoilers ahead). It's about a plane that crashes on a mysterious island due to an EMP-like event. Many of the passengers survive and try to eke out a living there, Lord of the Flies style. They also have to defend themselves against a group of people called the "Others", descendants of a research group that arrived on the island before the plane crash. This group, the "Dharma Initiative" is very much like the group described in the Ong's Hat material, IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(TV_series)

Persej said:
All this talk about the strange disappearance of Malaysia Airlines airplane reminded me of two, not very famous, but in my opinion very interesting movies about airplane accidents:

The Langoliers

On a red eye flight to Boston from LA 10 people wake up to a shock. All the passengers and crew have vanished. When they try to contact the ground they make no connections. They land the plane only to discover that things haven't changed. But its like the world is dead. No one is there, the air is still, sound doesn't echo, the food is tasteless. And a distant sound is heard coming closer. A race of monstrous beings bent on their destruction is heading for them, eating everything in sight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112040

Spoil alert:

This is the part, at the beginning of the movie, where the "writer"gives a sort of theory about what maybe happened at the airplane. His theory, that is a conspiracy theory, as you will see, have sense... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fojj7E7w3-U

Edit=Quote

Recently was released a movie starring Liam Neeson about a plane hijacked by the terrorists ,the movie it's called Non-Stop,interesting it may be nothing but,taking in consideration the disappearance of the flight 370 i thought interesting that it came out recently,for sure it's nothing,but anyway what a good coincidence.

On the same day when Boeing 777 went missing, there was a movie on TV
about a runaway train, I didn't watch it but what caught my attention was
that the train was also named 777.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unstoppable_(2010_film)

The film, loosely based on the real-life CSX 8888 incident, tells the story of a runaway freight train, and the two men (Washington and Pine) who attempt to stop it. It was Scott's final feature film before his suicide in 2012.

And suicides again.

I watched Langoliers some months ago around New Year and came across it by coincidence but remembered through it that I watched it once as a kid. Maybe the good movie that fits this category is also The Mist from 2007 about dimensional portal gone wrong through military experiments.

Corvinus said:
I watched Langoliers some months ago around New Year and came across it by coincidence but remembered through it that I watched it once as a kid. Maybe the good movie that fits this category is also The Mist from 2007 about dimensional portal gone wrong through military experiments.

Even "The Thirteenth Floor "(1999) is a good movie or especially the some episodes from the Twilight Zone like:
Season 1:
- Ep. 11, "And When the Sky Was Opened"
Three U.S. astronauts blast off from Earth on an initial test flight in an experimental rocket-ship, but during the flight into space the ship disappears from radar, then reappears. On return, the rocket-ship is hangared and put under a tarp, pending an investigation. One crewman is hospitalized for a leg broken on landing, and is visited by the other two. Next the pair go for a drink, and then one crewman phones his parents from a bar phone-booth - but they say they have no son! The astronaut immediately disappears, and no one in the bar remembers him, except the other astronaut in the bar, the Captain.

- Ep. 18 "The Last Flight"
A World War I British fighter pilot lands at an American air force base in France 42 years in the future.

- Ep. 20 "Elegy" - This one I thought was very creepy and weird
Three astronauts touch down on an asteroid, where they discover a world of people that appear to be frozen in time. Confused, they theorize as to why everyone is motionless, until a man springs to life and explains.

Ep. 20 "Elegy" - This one I thought was very creepy and weird

I like weird, where s the fun if everything stays the same always, and weird is description for something unknown or different based on someone s perceptions of normal which depends largely on influence of enviroment, but enviroment also depends on them in a way. I like when someone s mouth end up to the floor because in a way it shatters their preconcieved ideas and prejudices, it openes you in a way, and I always laugh inside when I see people s reactions, it is funny in a way. Maybe people would learn more from that weirdeness if not taking it through prejudices, fear and repulsiveness. The purpose of work is to become as much as "weird" for world and to see world as "weird" place. In the end everything has purpose and is up to everyone to find it.

Corvinus said:
Ep. 20 "Elegy" - This one I thought was very creepy and weird

I like weird, where s the fun if everything stays the same always, and weird is description for something unknown or different based on someone s perceptions of normal which depends largely on influence of enviroment, but enviroment also depends on them in a way. I like when someone s mouth end up to the floor because in a way it shatters their preconcieved ideas and prejudices, it openes you in a way, and I always laugh inside when I see people s reactions, it is funny in a way. Maybe people would learn more from that weirdeness if not taking it through prejudices, fear and repulsiveness. The purpose of work is to become as much as "weird" for world and to see world as "weird" place. In the end everything has purpose and is up to everyone to find it.

I agree with you and your internal judgement. It gives me the impression that my categorization of this episode made you angry a little bit. This was not meant to describe how the purpose of the Work is. What would you do if you would be immobilized like those characters in the episode? Wouldn't it be subjectively creepy for you not to be able to move, to act, just wander in an eternal dream, which is exactly what we do while being asleep in a world where we could be able to do? And if I would say what is one of the factors of the Work, I would name it in the Orthodox way and like Gurdjieff said: "Death to the World" or to sacrifice one's sleep in exchange of a Real World. Rather being dead for the world and see the world as it is. The world nowadays is not weird. It is just asleep. And it is how the balance works.

P.S. I don't want to be rude, I somehow know that your response was here for me only, not for the "straw people" who could learn more from that weirdness. Check the straw man fallacy when you have your opinions in a discussion with someone. Again, I am sorry if this seemed rude to you or if I am mistaken.

I agree with you and your internal judgement. It gives me the impression that my categorization of this episode made you angry a little bit. This was not meant to describe how the purpose of the Work is.

No, I did not get angry, frankly it was quite opposite in a way, do not know why would I got angry for that, I know it was not meant for work, I just made some analogy. Everybody works in a way even when they do not.

What would you do if you would be immobilized like those characters in the episode?

Nothing really I could do in that scenario. Maybe that would be the purpose.

Wouldn't it be subjectively creepy for you not to be able to move, to act, just wander in an eternal dream, which is exactly what we do while being asleep in a world where we could be able to do?

Maybe some need a good night of sleep to function properly in the morning of next day. Why we are not able to do if we can?

And if I would say what is one of the factors of the Work, I would name it in the Orthodox way and like Gurdjieff said: "Death to the World" or to sacrifice one's sleep in exchange of a Real World. Rather being dead for the world and see the world as it is. The world nowadays is not weird. It is just asleep. And it is how the balance works.

Maybe I did not express myself correctly, but I meant weird as you say dead for the world and seeing the world as weird when seeing it as it is.

P.S. I don't want to be rude, I somehow know that your response was here for me only, not for the "straw people" who could learn more from that weirdness.

I was reffering to majority of people s reactions and was also thinking about mutual interactions between people when one is acting weird, you can in that way test the people s openes and prejudices in a way.

Check the straw man fallacy when you have your opinions in a discussion with someone. Again, I am sorry if this seemed rude to you or if I am mistaken.

It is ok, it s a matter of personal choice in the end how somene views things.

Corvinus said:
I agree with you and your internal judgement. It gives me the impression that my categorization of this episode made you angry a little bit. This was not meant to describe how the purpose of the Work is.

No, I did not get angry, frankly it was quite opposite in a way, do not know why would I got angry for that, I know it was not meant for work, I just made some analogy. Everybody works in a way even when they do not.

Just a fwiw, I didn't take Corvinus' statement as angry, either. It looked to me that he was just trying to explain why "weird" is okay with him.

If we talk about TV series, another interesting episode about airplane accident is episode 17 of the 4th season of X-Files:

Tempus Fugit - Max Fenig is traveling on an airplane. He watches another man on the plane who seems to be following him. The man heads to the plane's bathroom, where he assembles a zip gun. However, when he comes back out, the airplane begins shaking and a bright light flashes outside, showing that the plane is encountering a UFO.

This one is talking about alien abduction scenario.

Persej said:
If we talk about TV series, another interesting episode about airplane accident is episode 17 of the 4th season of X-Files:

Tempus Fugit - Max Fenig is traveling on an airplane. He watches another man on the plane who seems to be following him. The man heads to the plane's bathroom, where he assembles a zip gun. However, when he comes back out, the airplane begins shaking and a bright light flashes outside, showing that the plane is encountering a UFO.

This one is talking about alien abduction scenario.

I read up a bit more online about the Tempus Fujit episode (I have seen it before but it's been awhile) and found it interesting that Tempus Fugit in Latin means "time flees" or "time flies."

There was also the X-Files episode, Piper Maru (episode 15 of season 3) that is somewhat related in regards to a plane crash and surrounding high strangeness.

From Wikipedia:
"Piper Maru, a French salvage vessel, is exploring the Pacific Ocean. Gauthier, a member of the ship's crew, dives down into the sea and finds a sunken fighter plane from World War II. He is shocked to find a man alive in the plane's cockpit, with what looks like black oil in his eyes."

This is an episode (if has not been mentioned already on another thread ), of the Twilight Zone. It was one i never forgot as youth when it was first aired back 1961. And thought, could it really happen? :umm:

It's not a movie, but a popular TV series that captivated the American television audiences in it's prime time spot.

Twilight Zone Flight 33
Season 2-Episode 54-Written by Rod Serling
Original air date February 24, 1961
1 (1959–1960) Friday at 10:00 pm E.T.
2 (1960–1961)
3 (1961–1962)
4 (1963) Thursday at 9:00 pm E.T.
5 (1963–1964) Friday at 9:30 pm E.T.
_www.answers.com/topic/the-twilight-zone-1959-tv-series
Flight 33
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RuIrMADj9U
Plot
The episode takes place on Global Airlines Flight 33, en route from London to New York City. About 50 minutes from Idlewild Airport (now called JFK), Captain Farver and his crew notice that their Boeing 707 is drastically increasing speed, repeatedly crossing some kind of barrier. With much of their equipment malfunctioning, including radio communications, they eventually realize they have been thrown back in time when they see no signs of civilization but spot a grazing Sauropod Dinosaur. They increase altitude in an attempt to cross the barrier again and to return to 1961, but arrive above the 1939 New York World's Fair instead. Realizing that they can't land all the passengers in 1939 at LaGuardia Airport, and low on fuel, the captain decides to keep trying to return "home" to 1961. "All I ask is that you remain calm", he informs the passengers over the P.A. system, "...and pray". This is one of the few episodes using an ending with neither a twist nor a resolution.
_en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_of_Flight_33

Attachments

• TZ.jpg
    TZ.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom