Recommended Books: Discussion

Why was Gurdjieff and the Women of the Rope added to the list?
I'm thinking about ordering it but would like to hear other people's opinions.
Sadly I am unable to find it discussed.

Anthony said:

I couldn't find the discussion anywhere on the Forum, either. It didn't have an author, so I just found it on Amazon (by Solita Solano, Kathryn Hulme):

http://www.amazon.com/Gurdjieff-Women-Rope-1935-1939-1948-1949/dp/0955909066

I at first assumed that it was a different version of The Ladies of the Rope by William Patrick Patterson, but it's not. After reading the reviews on Amazon, it sounds like an interesting reading, so I'll add it to the list.

Zadius Sky said:
Anthony said:

I couldn't find the discussion anywhere on the Forum, either. It didn't have an author, so I just found it on Amazon (by Solita Solano, Kathryn Hulme):

http://www.amazon.com/Gurdjieff-Women-Rope-1935-1939-1948-1949/dp/0955909066

I at first assumed that it was a different version of The Ladies of the Rope by William Patrick Patterson, but it's not. After reading the reviews on Amazon, it sounds like an interesting reading, so I'll add it to the list.

It's quite good, I'd definitely recommend it. It's very compatible with Patterson's Ladies of the Rope, since Patterson essentially drew from their notes when writing his book, but it also has more insights about what the women were thinking and feeling during that time.

Which version of Beelzebub's Tales do you guys have?
The one available on amazon is supposedly a revised edition and lacking 100 or so pages.

Originally written in Russian and Armenian, it has twice been translated into English:

* The original translation of 1238 pages, first published in 1950 by Harcourt, Brace & Company (New York); Routledge & Kegan Paul (London). Copyright 1950 by G. Gurdjieff. This translation was made under the personal direction of the author, by a group of translators chosen by him and specially trained according to their defined individualities. Later published in 1964 by E.P. Dutton & Co., Inc., Library of Congress No. 50-5848. Again published in 1973 by E.P. Dutton & Co., Inc. in paperback (3 volumes), SBN 0-525-47348-3, 0-525-47349-1, 0-525-47350-5. Then published in 1993 by Two Rivers Press. Again published in 1999 by Penguin Arkana, a paperback which contains correction of errata and insertion of two paragraphs omitted from page 568 of Chapter 32 "Hypnotism" in earlier editions.

There is also a Guide and Index available for the original translation published in 1971 by Traditional Studies Press, ISBN 0-919608-01-9, copyright Traditional Studies Press 1973. There’s also a Beelzebub Syllabus available for the original translation printed in 1996.

* A revised translation of 1135 pages, first published in 1992 by Arkana, an imprint of Viking Penguin, a division of Penguin Books USA Inc. Copyright Triangle Editions, Inc. 1992, ISBN 0-670-84125-0. This revision was begun on the initiative of Jeanne de Salzmann. The translation team included members of the Gurdjieff Foundation of New York, aided by members of the Gurdjieff Society (London) and the Institut Gurdjieff (Paris), as well as Triangle Editions.

A Page Correlation Table between the original 1950 and revised 1992 edition is available.

So is the version available on amazon the one to go with?

http://www.amazon.com/Beelzebubs-Tales-His-Grandson-Everything/dp/0140194738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366565566&sr=8-1&keywords=beelzebub+tales

Anthony said:
Which version of Beelzebub's Tales do you guys have?
The one available on amazon is supposedly a revised edition and lacking 100 or so pages.

Originally written in Russian and Armenian, it has twice been translated into English:

* The original translation of 1238 pages, first published in 1950 by Harcourt, Brace & Company (New York); Routledge & Kegan Paul (London). Copyright 1950 by G. Gurdjieff. This translation was made under the personal direction of the author, by a group of translators chosen by him and specially trained according to their defined individualities. Later published in 1964 by E.P. Dutton & Co., Inc., Library of Congress No. 50-5848. Again published in 1973 by E.P. Dutton & Co., Inc. in paperback (3 volumes), SBN 0-525-47348-3, 0-525-47349-1, 0-525-47350-5. Then published in 1993 by Two Rivers Press. Again published in 1999 by Penguin Arkana, a paperback which contains correction of errata and insertion of two paragraphs omitted from page 568 of Chapter 32 "Hypnotism" in earlier editions.

There is also a Guide and Index available for the original translation published in 1971 by Traditional Studies Press, ISBN 0-919608-01-9, copyright Traditional Studies Press 1973. There’s also a Beelzebub Syllabus available for the original translation printed in 1996.

* A revised translation of 1135 pages, first published in 1992 by Arkana, an imprint of Viking Penguin, a division of Penguin Books USA Inc. Copyright Triangle Editions, Inc. 1992, ISBN 0-670-84125-0. This revision was begun on the initiative of Jeanne de Salzmann. The translation team included members of the Gurdjieff Foundation of New York, aided by members of the Gurdjieff Society (London) and the Institut Gurdjieff (Paris), as well as Triangle Editions.

A Page Correlation Table between the original 1950 and revised 1992 edition is available.

So is the version available on amazon the one to go with?

http://www.amazon.com/Beelzebubs-Tales-His-Grandson-Everything/dp/0140194738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366565566&sr=8-1&keywords=beelzebub+tales

Yep, that's the one.

I am currently quite interested in what I could best define as mental hygiene/psycho-spiritual defense. More specifically, I have become aware that I was potentially manipulated by someone using subtle NLP/hypnosis techniques.

I am aware of the Work, have read the wave, Gurdjeff, Oupensky, Mouravieff and many others. Also recently acquired Thinking, Fast and Slow & Strangers to Ourselves as well as some classical rhetoric.

Keeping in mind that Knowledge protects, I was wondering which books you would recommend as a priority for those who wish to be more stalwart in the face of modern persuasion/manipulation techniques?

Thank you!

Does anyone have a good substitute for 'New Light on the Black Death' since the book has
a high price. Anything that deals with plagues throughout history.

Anthony said:
Does anyone have a good substitute for 'New Light on the Black Death' since the book has a high price. Anything that deals with plagues throughout history.

I just looked at Amazon for Baillie's book, which is way too pricey ($630). So, I looked at its publisher, Tempus Press, and it has ceased its operations in 2007 (a year after Baille's book was published) and became "History Press" and found this on their website:

_http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/index.php/new-light-on-the-black-death.html

The cost is at £17.99. I do not know if they still have it on stock, but you can contact them.

Hope this helps.

Reposting from the John Keel thread: Big news! Anomalist Press has just published Operation Trojan Horse. It is selling for the very affordable price of $15.08 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1938398033/theanomalist

Yay! (Looks like they're working in cooperation with the estate of John Keel)

Approaching Infinity said:
Reposting from the John Keel thread: Big news! Anomalist Press has just published Operation Trojan Horse. It is selling for the very affordable price of $15.08 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1938398033/theanomalist

Yay! (Looks like they're working in cooperation with the estate of John Keel)

Thanks AI!

United Gnosis said:
I am currently quite interested in what I could best define as mental hygiene/psycho-spiritual defense. More specifically, I have become aware that I was potentially manipulated by someone using subtle NLP/hypnosis techniques.

Keeping in mind that Knowledge protects, I was wondering which books you would recommend as a priority for those who wish to be more stalwart in the face of modern persuasion/manipulation techniques?

I would be interested, too.

NLP was very popular in my home country 10-15 years ago and I have met a couple of people who obviously used it.
What I did at that time: I bought a book about NLP and read it myself ;) Even though it was difficult, it gave me a good glimpse into the techniques. And knowledge protects ... once you know how it works ...

Most people with "hypnosis techniques" seem to use them intuitively, aka narcisstic personalities or downright psychopathic behaviour, so any of the Big 5 books might be of help, too.

M.T.

Minas Tirith said:
United Gnosis said:

I would be interested, too.

NLP was very popular in my home country 10-15 years ago and I have met a couple of people who obviously used it.
What I did at that time: I bought a book about NLP and read it myself ;) Even though it was difficult, it gave me a good glimpse into the techniques. And knowledge protects ... once you know how it works ...

Most people with "hypnosis techniques" seem to use them intuitively, aka narcisstic personalities or downright psychopathic behaviour, so any of the Big 5 books might be of help, too.

M.T.

I lean towards a similar trend of thought. The problem for me is, on the intellectual aspect I'm kind of a hoarder, so that when I realized my potential weakness to NLP I went on a digital "raid" and obtained a variety of NLP reference books... which I haven't touched yet. I also have previously obtained many books from the Psychopathy, Narcissism and Cognitive Science subsections, all of which sit on my shelves, begging for my time and attention.

The core of my question was where I should focus my attention if my priority is to establish this subtype of mental hygiene, i.e. resilience in face of external manipulation/suggestion factors. Self-remembering and observing emotional/mental processes will clearly be vital, and I am frank enough to admit to myself that much more internal work remains to be done, but I think it makes sense to make a parenthesis in order to establish more specialized awareness of/against manipulation techniques.

If I do not receive any specific suggestions before I finish my current reading, my guess is that my next read will be the NLP Workbook by Joseph O'Connor with Thinking, Fast and Slow as a reading companion, and see where it goes.

United Gnosis said:
I lean towards a similar trend of thought. The problem for me is, on the intellectual aspect I'm kind of a hoarder, so that when I realized my potential weakness to NLP I went on a digital "raid" and obtained a variety of NLP reference books... which I haven't touched yet. I also have previously obtained many books from the Psychopathy, Narcissism and Cognitive Science subsections, all of which sit on my shelves, begging for my time and attention.

Understood, and I know what you mean :).

I read your post a couple of days ago and didn't intend to answer, but had, then, yesterday, two interactions with what I would call "narcisstic beings". In reflecting these interactions I found that narcissists seemingly try to manipulate you through your emotional center, whereas NLPers do the same through your intellectual center. I don't want to take up space here and it's a bit OT, just want to offer my thoughts.

Since you seem to have a "weak spot" for intellectual stuff (shooting into the dark here), you might indeed be quite susceptible for NLP manipulations: NLP was created to "reprogram" your thoughts and ways of thinking and people using it often come over as seemingly knowledgable and intellectually in control. Maybe this impressed you?

M.T.

Back
Top Bottom