Recommended Books: Discussion

Carlise said:
...I'm sure you're well aware of this, but it is quite easy to send PDFs to your kindle. I just email them to my kindle address, with the word convert in the subject line, and it syncs to my device in an eBook format (just requires a few minutes of WiFi)...

Yes. I call it "shredding" a PDF, and you are probably aware of why. :)

Megan said:
Carlise said:
...I'm sure you're well aware of this, but it is quite easy to send PDFs to your kindle. I just email them to my kindle address, with the word convert in the subject line, and it syncs to my device in an eBook format (just requires a few minutes of WiFi)...

Yes. I call it "shredding" a PDF, and you are probably aware of why. :)

Haha, sometimes it's worth it for me to just fight through the horrible typos and crazy formatting for a book that's £100 on amazon. I just think of it as a fun brain training exercise :)

What books are good for understanding hyperdimensionality? Jacques Vallee perhaps, if so which book?

Carlise said:
Megan said:
SMM said:
Robert Hare's "Without Conscience", along with many other titles, can be found on Audible as an audiobook, on the UK or US site. It's 8 hours & 43 minutes long.
Listening to a book is different to reading one though, what are others' take on it?

Most of my reading is through audiobooks. The main issue I run into is that they are pretty much impossible to search, afterwards, and that to even identify which book contained something I remember, I have to go Googling for a table of contents, which Audible doesn't provide.

The solution to that of course is to buy both the Audible audiobook and the Kindle edition, assuming that both are available. And the more recent ones will even sync between the two, though I have yet to use that feature.

The reason I prefer audiobooks is that my vision is poor and I can't go through nearly as many "print" books (I use Kindle whenever possible, so that I can enlarge the fonts) in a given time. My Kindle/print backlog is huge, and problematic because I am missing important things discussed here on the forum, where my Audible queue is empty at the moment. Oh well.

I'm sure you're well aware of this, but it is quite easy to send PDFs to your kindle. I just email them to my kindle address, with the word convert in the subject line, and it syncs to my device in an eBook format (just requires a few minutes of WiFi).

I've done this with a lot of books which haven't yet been released on kindle, but where people have posted a pdf of a given book somewhere online (usually pretty easy to find). Of course, it's good to buy the book as well, giving back to the author.

Been listening to Hare's "Without Conscience". For my first audiobook, I like it a lot - frees up the hands to attend to other things.
Motivated me to read it, probably more so now.

I find I'm not a big fan of Kindle, preferring paperbacks/hardbacks. Could be from being used to them so may get used to reading electronically over time. With that said, my Kindle catalogue is expanding.
I've sent PDFs, books, articles etc., to my Kindle & other PDF-reading apps on my phone too.

loreta said:
MK Scarlett said:
Approaching Infinity said:
The list has been updated with a section on essential reading about Caesar:

12. Caesar
Gallic War and Civil War - Julius Caesar
Civil War - Appian
Ancient City - Numa Denis Fustel de Coulanges
Escape From Evil - Ernest Becker
Caesar: Politician and Statesman - Mattias Gelzer
Assassination of Julius Caesar - Michael Parenti
Julius Caesar - Philip Freeman
Et tu Judas! Then Fall Jesus - Gary Courtney
Jesus Was Caesar - Francesco Carotta

Thank you very much for the update! I was not came for a while, and to say the least, it grew up very fast! :thup:

I second this: thank you very much for this list. I checked, Ancient City I found it in Project Gutenberg in French. The other books will wait till I have money for them. :) But I keep the list!

Thanks for this, still debating which book I'd like to get into first. Might check if the library has/can get any of these titles.

The list has been updated, as you can see here (also linked in the first post of this thread). The footnotes of the previous version turned into a more extensive guide to the recommended books.

The changes are: new introduction text on top; some more books listed; a lot of new footnotes; and the guide also contains general info for each section of the list, in the corresponding part of the guide. It's also been formatted with heading sizes, etc., to hopefully be easier to navigate.

There were three major goals with the new general info provided:

1. To provide some sense of the role of each section of the list - what the importance of the subjects are, how they fit into the big picture of what we do here. How they relate to the network, to our research, and our individual and collective Work.

2. To make it easier to find your way around the forum, to various threads, excerpts and summaries, and other resources related to the books.

3. As the intro text also mentions: take it easy - take your time with the new info, and doubly so with the books on the list. We can't take on everything at once. It is the hope that the new information will also help you prioritize what to read, according to the needs of your present, individual situation. Of course, whenever it is needed, you can also network such questions as well.

So, hope this helps, and hope you have fun learning. As before, feel free to suggest any additions or other improvements, or just generally discuss things.

Psalehesost said:
The list has been updated, as you can see here (also linked in the first post of this thread). The footnotes of the previous version turned into a more extensive guide to the recommended books.

The changes are: new introduction text on top; some more books listed; a lot of new footnotes; and the guide also contains general info for each section of the list, in the corresponding part of the guide. It's also been formatted with heading sizes, etc., to hopefully be easier to navigate.

There were three major goals with the new general info provided:

1. To provide some sense of the role of each section of the list - what the importance of the subjects are, how they fit into the big picture of what we do here. How they relate to the network, to our research, and our individual and collective Work.

2. To make it easier to find your way around the forum, to various threads, excerpts and summaries, and other resources related to the books.

3. As the intro text also mentions: take it easy - take your time with the new info, and doubly so with the books on the list. We can't take on everything at once. It is the hope that the new information will also help you prioritize what to read, according to the needs of your present, individual situation. Of course, whenever it is needed, you can also network such questions as well.

So, hope this helps, and hope you have fun learning. As before, feel free to suggest any additions or other improvements, or just generally discuss things.

Thanks a lot for the update, the list is very comprehensive, I have a question though

This list

14. Caesar
The Civil Wars - Appian
The Ancient City: A Study on the Religion, Laws, and Institutions of Greece and Rome13.2 - Numa Denis Fustel de Coulanges
Escape from Evil - Ernest Becker
The Assassination of Julius Caesar - Michael Parenti

That book seems out of place, checking the Amazon page doesn't seem to be about Caesar:

_http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Evil-Ernest-Becker/dp/0029024501/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387492393&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Escape+from+Evil7.12+-+Ernest+Becker#reader_0029024501

Navigator said:
14. Caesar
The Civil Wars - Appian
The Ancient City: A Study on the Religion, Laws, and Institutions of Greece and Rome13.2 - Numa Denis Fustel de Coulanges

That book seems out of place, checking the Amazon page doesn't seem to be about Caesar:

_http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Evil-Ernest-Becker/dp/0029024501/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387492393&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Escape+from+Evil7.12+-+Ernest+Becker#reader_0029024501

Laura mentioned on one of the Caesar threads that it should be read with the others. I personally haven't read it yet, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it to be there.

Approaching Infinity said:
Navigator said:
14. Caesar
The Civil Wars - Appian

Laura mentioned on one of the Caesar threads that it should be read with the others. I personally haven't read it yet, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it to be there.

It's a good book to get a better idea of what really drives people, and it can be read with The Ancient City, and as being applied to the context of Caesar's era.

Here's one of Laura's posts on those two books:

Laura said:
Of course. The problems are due to social programming, society, culture, etc. You might find two books very interesting: Becker's "Escape From Evil" and Fustel de Coulange's "The Ancient City." They both talk about what is foundationally wrong with society. Neither has the whole banana, of course, but they have pretty big pieces of the puzzle. And knowing how things got the way they are helps us to be able to think about how they could be otherwise. Because we do have to take human nature into account and it is pretty basic for people to perceive such behavior as deserving of death. And maybe it is. But like you say, that won't solve the problems.

I'm wondering if Stefan Verstappen book "Defense Against the Psychopath: A Brief Introduction to Human Predators" should be added to the recommended book list?

I have a question: did anybody read "Our Life with Mr. Gurdjieff" by Olga and Thomas de Hartmann and "The Reality of Being: The Fourth Way of Gurdjieff " by Jeanne de Salzmann. Are they worth reading?

Thanks in advance

Altair said:
I have a question: did anybody read "Our Life with Mr. Gurdjieff" by Olga and Thomas de Hartmann and "The Reality of Being: The Fourth Way of Gurdjieff " by Jeanne de Salzmann. Are they worth reading?

The Reality of Being discussion can be found here:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,18689.0.html

I have yet read the other book.

Zadius Sky said:
Altair said:

Thanks, I will check the thread. Another question: what was the original language of Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson? I thought it was Russian, but in all the Russian versions I've found there was a remark: translated from english :huh:
Is it realistic to found the original russian unedited scripts of Gurdjieff's books?

Altair said:
Zadius Sky said:
Altair said:

Thanks, I will check the thread. Another question: what was the original language of Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson? I thought it was Russian, but in all the Russian versions I've found there was a remark: translated from english :huh:
Is it realistic to found the original russian unedited scripts of Gurdjieff's books?

As far as I know, Gurdjieff wrote it in Russian and Armenian, which was then translated into English. Gurdjieff worked on the English translation intensively with Orage, which became the definitive version. This article might be helpful: _http://www.gurdjieff-internet.com/article_details.php?ID=69&W=12

Back
Top Bottom