Sensitive People in an Insensitive World

Megan said:
I scored 23, which seems to be a common score in this group, but then I have autistic spectrum issues and a lot of the questions were about sensitivity to sensory stimuli.

I don't know if you've found this to be true Megan, but to me, another sign of sensitivity with respect to high levels of sensory stimuli is that the more sensitive a person is, the finer distinctions a person can make, because you can see more relationships between the data and you can feel the data's effect on you.

For instance, in a situation where a lot is going on, if there are people being huffy and negative, things fall to the floor, something breaks, etc, I feel that as a sort of 'chaos' and it can seem like it hurts the brain. The typical reaction is: put my hands to my temples as if I'm trying to rub out a headache. The motivation is "get away from all that".

But in the same situation where a lot is going on, and people are busy, working quickly, keeping cool heads, things are moving, stuff is getting done (even if lights are blinking, buzzers are going off, monitors flashing for attention, etc), and something productive is coming together as a result of all that motion, then I feel that as wonderful and energizing. My brain or mind feels stimulated, alive! The typical reaction is: enjoy a deep breath. The motivation is: "dive in with all the senses and experience it all at one time because the subtle world of an unseen goal is part of what our being was designed to discern!

So when I see questions like: "Are you a sensitive person? Take this test and see!", I groan and think: Here we go again. It's not like THAT!!!!! :)

Bud said:
...So when I see questions like: "Are you a sensitive person? Take this test and see!", I groan and think: Here we go again. It's not like THAT!!!!! :)
I am reading the book now (listening to the audiobook, actually) and I see that the test questions don't really define a "highly sensitive person." They are more of a quick screen to see if you might be one according to the author's criteria. For example, there is a question about caffeine sensitivity. In the book, however, she says something about being sensitive to caffeine if you haven't adjusted to it. That jogged my memory and I realized that I used to be very sensitive to coffee.

I can handle "busy" situations much better if I am focused on one thing--I tune everything else out. I think the book mentions that sensitivity can be variable depending on the situation. I function best with quiet, though. If I have to solve a major problem quickly, I usually need to be alone although in recent years I have been able, occasionally, to solve certain kinds of problems in a group setting. Fortunately I work in software, not in an emergency room.

From what I have read so far, the sensitivity traits that Elaine Aron writes about seem to overlap to some degree with autistic spectrum traits. I can identify as a "highly sensitive person" in the sense described in the book, and I also have challenges that the book does not address (at least not so far). I have known other people that had similar sensory sensitivities but that did not show any defining autistic spectrum traits. So far, I feel as though the author is on to something but I am not convinced that "highly sensitive people" exist as a class. I will continue reading.

Ana said:
davey72 said:
Ok, this is also the reason that i would deny any of the questions when i first read the quiz. I think it may be a little debilitating to oneself to subscribe to the veiw that you are self centered to think this way.
Or perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part, as i always try to throw away any thoughts that lead me to believe that i am "special" in any way.
Any thoughts on this? I hope i made sense to someone.

Yes it makes sense, I think it was when you denied any of the questions when you first read the quiz because you thought it was self centered that you were showing self importance, osit
You were anticipating the outcome (based on a erroneus reasoning)and hence you hid the truth about your real current state.

It is not about answering what you think fits better "your ideal" but about answering the truth because only from there we can work and change if needed.

With that said remember it is just a quiz :D and we do not know the level of validity in its interpretation.
Hi Anna.
Thanks for the advice.
I wonder how we are to know the difference? I mean about whether i am showing self importance, or being constructively self analytical? I have a feeling that the more knowledge one obtains, the more he can tell the difference.
Any thoughts on this?
:/

davey72 said:
...I wonder how we are to know the difference? I mean about whether i am showing self importance, or being constructively self analytical? I have a feeling that the more knowledge one obtains, the more he can tell the difference.
Any thoughts on this?
After taking several online self-tests of this sort I have noticed that sometimes I have to go through the questions a number of times before I understand how to answer. We answer questions from some internal context, but the context we use the first time through an unfamiliar set of questions isn't necessarily the most appropriate one. Depending on the questions it might take several passes and a considerable amount of remembering to arrive at a self-view from which answering is possible. Then again, it might just be a matter of not wanting to answer the questions.

I think that not wanting to seem "special" might be a trait of "highly sensitive people" as described in the book. Because I am listening to the audiobook I can't easily go back and find a particular passage, but I remember hearing something to that effect near the end of chapter 1. It is useful to notice your reactions to the questions, but perhaps at this stage you might want to just "record" your observations rather than analyze them.

Came in at 22 and it possibly could have been higher, certainly a few years ago.

Thanks for posting this WhiteBear.

Thanks for the links, White Bear and seek10! :)

I did the test three rounds, as I needed time to look into myself, if some of the questions would apply for me or not. At the first round I got 18 - but I have felt, that I have left some things out. At the second round I got 24 - but I thought, that I made marks on questions I didn't really feel sure about. By leaving those out, at the third round, I got 21 in the end.

Maybe I will try out the test again in one year to see, if I had progressed on some of the questions due to Work - i.e. if I can stand some more turmoil and stressors in my life than it currently is the case. Or I find a test, that will take more dimensions into account, that I will take and also provide the link here in case of finding. But in the end, every test is just that - as Ana said. It doesn't provide all insight alone (there are plenty other ways outlined on the forum and still to be discovered outside of it, as we all know) - but it can give one some idea on traits, that play a role in our relation with other people and environment. This is at least how I perceived it.

I scored a 10. Most of the things that I would have checked "yes" when I was young (startles easily, becomes upset in chaos) went away after 14 years of Naval conditioning.

Megan said:
Bud said:
...So when I see questions like: "Are you a sensitive person? Take this test and see!", I groan and think: Here we go again. It's not like THAT!!!!! :)
I am reading the book now (listening to the audiobook, actually) and I see that the test questions don't really define a "highly sensitive person." They are more of a quick screen to see if you might be one according to the author's criteria. For example, there is a question about caffeine sensitivity. In the book, however, she says something about being sensitive to caffeine if you haven't adjusted to it. That jogged my memory and I realized that I used to be very sensitive to coffee.

I can handle "busy" situations much better if I am focused on one thing--I tune everything else out. I think the book mentions that sensitivity can be variable depending on the situation. I function best with quiet, though. If I have to solve a major problem quickly, I usually need to be alone although in recent years I have been able, occasionally, to solve certain kinds of problems in a group setting. Fortunately I work in software, not in an emergency room.

From what I have read so far, the sensitivity traits that Elaine Aron writes about seem to overlap to some degree with autistic spectrum traits. I can identify as a "highly sensitive person" in the sense described in the book, and I also have challenges that the book does not address (at least not so far). I have known other people that had similar sensory sensitivities but that did not show any defining autistic spectrum traits. So far, I feel as though the author is on to something but I am not convinced that "highly sensitive people" exist as a class. I will continue reading.

Perhaps, as in things like bi-polar disorder, it has a lot to do with our sensitivities to our diets, and the toxins in our bodies?

Megan said:
davey72 said:
...I wonder how we are to know the difference? I mean about whether i am showing self importance, or being constructively self analytical? I have a feeling that the more knowledge one obtains, the more he can tell the difference.
Any thoughts on this?
After taking several online self-tests of this sort I have noticed that sometimes I have to go through the questions a number of times before I understand how to answer. We answer questions from some internal context, but the context we use the first time through an unfamiliar set of questions isn't necessarily the most appropriate one. Depending on the questions it might take several passes and a considerable amount of remembering to arrive at a self-view from which answering is possible. Then again, it might just be a matter of not wanting to answer the questions.

I think that not wanting to seem "special" might be a trait of "highly sensitive people" as described in the book. Because I am listening to the audiobook I can't easily go back and find a particular passage, but I remember hearing something to that effect near the end of chapter 1. It is useful to notice your reactions to the questions, but perhaps at this stage you might want to just "record" your observations rather than analyze them.
I started doing opiates when i was prescribed them at about 6 yrs old (for migraines). i remember how they made all of the sensitivity, and self concioussness, (as well as any other uncomfort i ever felt) completely dissapear. Once i tried heroin at 13, that waas it. I thought i had found "THE" wonder drug. I wonder how many other "sensitive" people have had drug problems?
I am just now trying to learn to be comfortable in my own skin. It is very hard after over 30 yrs being high.

davey72 said:
Perhaps, as in things like bi-polar disorder, it has a lot to do with our sensitivities to our diets, and the toxins in our bodies?
The book suggests that sensitivity is influenced by both heredity and environment. I am not very far along in reading it, though. The main point near the beginning of the book is that high sensitivity is a trait that is not valued in all cultures, but you don't have to feel like there is something wrong with you if you are sensitive and your culture is not. Looking at it that high level, I have to agree. I would find the book more helpful, though, if I hadn't already had to work this out for myself long ago. :)

I completely agree with you Megan. I was very shy, and self concious as a kid, because of this. I thought at one point that it was because i was raised by a single mother. This was when i was a kid. I remember coming outta the shower when i was like ten before i knew that boys don't put towels up to their armpits. lol

WhiteBear said:
I scored a 10. Most of the things that I would have checked "yes" when I was young (startles easily, becomes upset in chaos) went away after 14 years of Naval conditioning.

Similar situation here. I scored 18. It would have been much higher when I was younger. But working in a construction field helped me become less sensitive to some loud noises and pain. Yet I still have a hard time dealing with my co worker putting the stereo in the truck very loud or if a light is shining in my eyes (yet I like sunlight).

Divide By Zero said:
WhiteBear said:

Similar situation here. I scored 18. It would have been much higher when I was younger. But working in a construction field helped me become less sensitive to some loud noises and pain. Yet I still have a hard time dealing with my co worker putting the stereo in the truck very loud or if a light is shining in my eyes (yet I like sunlight).
I know exactly what u mean by this. When, for quite a few years i was in construction, as well. In those days, i could handle it, only cause i was able to , well, its almost like going into a trance,sometimes. As long as you know yer job.
This has been my experience.
Now that i haven't been working for a couple months, When i am home, i am at peace. I think at this point, i will probably shovel snow for money, (being in Canada). I would like to advertise, and perhaps do small, and cheap renovations. maybe a bathroom. Give a seniors discount.
Sorrry, i went on a tangent. I am sure, if this is the completely wrong thread for this, i am sure the Mods will move it to the appropriate spot.
Then again, maybe i'm just being paranoid :/

Megan said:
The main point near the beginning of the book is that high sensitivity is a trait that is not valued in all cultures, but you don't have to feel like there is something wrong with you if you are sensitive and your culture is not.

This part has me thinking. Being that our culture is manipulated by psycopathological people, it seems a natural statement to make. But I think in actuality sensitivity, as long as it does not become compulsive and pathological itself, is a good tool. Using it as an ally in a world that is filled with dangers. Sensitive towards other peoples vibes to precipitate out the pathologicals, vampires and other predators out there.

Learning to protect ourselves in crowded places. A loud noise can be a sign of danger and reacting to it immediately can be a life or death thing. Watching the world around us, being vigilant and at the same time not to be afraid to go out and face the world we live in. Maybe I am stating the obvious here, but this statement threw me into much thought. That the PTB would want the average person to be desensitized by maintaining the idea that being highly sensitive means that there is something "wrong" with you makes sense in trying to keep everyone asleep.

Sorry if I am way off here, but just wanted to jot down my thoughts to see if what I am seeing is there or am I just making word salad here.

Edit: Wanted to make one point here. I used to work in recording studios where the music was very loud. Being able to stand the loud noise did not mean I liked it. Now many years later loud noises are still a discomfort. Not desensitized, just tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom