Session 10 December 2016

To add another note for new Twitter users, it can be really useful for generating large numbers of 'impressions' (the number of times users see a tweet) to change your location and find out what's trending in large cities like New York or Los Angeles and co-opting it for a truthful purpose. For instance, #motivationmonday is trending right now for LA, so tweeting the article on Stoic principles or the benefits of caring might be a good way to get some truth into the trend that might also get people visiting SOTT.

Turgon said:
But even still, one thing I did learn from that was how to better debate someone who isn't listening and wants an argument, and that social media is a very real battleground of ideas and information and that as people who are trying to spread the signal of truth, I can't give into my emotions or be baited into back and forth's with trolls because we are trying to spread truth.

This is the one thing I find so totally frustrating. It actually takes effort to talk about the truth and spread it on line. There are just so many people out there who don't want to listen because of this. They aren't interested because they're lazy, entitled and want to stay in their smug little 'I'm so important because I'm not challenging anything at all' world. These people have never had to fight for anything in their lives, they've just had to behave like simpering, obsequious sheep. They are the ones who I see falling off that metaphysical cliff eventually.

Don't bother arguing or debating with them, they are nothing but agents of the matrix. Pity I usually end up having to talk to them at Christmas gatherings. It's like they've mentally all gone on holiday and want everyone to follow them off the cliff like the pied piper. :(

A Jay said:
To add another note for new Twitter users, it can be really useful for generating large numbers of 'impressions' (the number of times users see a tweet) to change your location and find out what's trending in large cities like New York or Los Angeles and co-opting it for a truthful purpose. For instance, #motivationmonday is trending right now for LA, so tweeting the article on Stoic principles or the benefits of caring might be a good way to get some truth into the trend that might also get people visiting SOTT.

That's really helpful to gain notoriety A Jay! use the trending topic hashtags for each country in a certain time. Thanks for the reminder

Galaxia2002 said:
A Jay said:

That's really helpful to gain notoriety A Jay! use the trending topic hashtags for each country in a certain time. Thanks for the reminder

Thanks A Jay! I always forget to add hashtags.. :/ which I guess is the point in Twitter hehe, just tried that with the article on Stoicism, and someone added me to a list.. which im not very sure how that works.. :huh:

whitecoast said:
Thanks Luc and Laura. Could I ask a question here about personal responsibility here? Does that apply to things like reducing ecological footprint or fuel consumption?

Well, a few years back when I woke up to the fact that this world is so horribly screwed, there was a period where I felt totally guilty when I drove by car - I could literally feel the enormous energetic imbalance. I was sad that we humans consume and senselessly waste so much energy. That all these roads kill our environment. That animals die on the street just because we senselessly drive around for no good reasons. I felt this not only in terms of transportation, but also in terms of waste, consumption and so on - WHY are we living so horribly? Why are we wasting all those resources on a senseless and evil lifestyle? I felt a huge longing for a simpler, more balanced life.

While I still have such feelings, I can see now that this is an overly simplistic way of looking at things. I mean, we are thrown into this particular world for a reason, and we do have an opportunity (and responsibility) to make something of it. We can't pretend that we can just 'go back to nature' or solve the problem by taking trains and so on. This is not compatible with this world. It would be an expression that we want to 'shut out' and ignore reality.

So it's always a matter of perspective and the specific situations we find ourselves in. For example, it is a very good idea to minimize unnecessary travelling, waste etc. But on the other hand, if the situation demands it, we can 'consume' as much energy as we want to reach our goals IMO. For example, if I can help people in my environment (family and friends) by being there for them, by redefining my relationships, and thus making a difference in a non-linear way that has tremendous effects, then all the driving and what have you is totally worth it and in fact is a moral obligation. Same with waste - if further minimizing my waste would mean to essentially 'shut out' and go live off the grid, thus losing the opportunity to be a positive force in this world, then I would consider this as morally wrong.

So yeah, the world is at it is, and I think we need to figure out our place in it and what we came here to do. And this requires moving, trying things, being part of this world to an extent, and thus it also requires the 'consumption' of energy. Pretending otherwise won't do, although I think it's a good thing to be aware of these energetic issues and our own place in it. And I think there's no doubt that in terms of environment, pollution, waste etc., our world is INSANE. But as always, the devil is in the details...

Voilà déjà plusieurs mois que je repartage les messages de Laure sur Facebook mais depuis qu'ils nous est demandé de touché de plus en plus de personnes j'ai réactivé mon compte Twiter et Google...
Par contre ce qui est dommage c'est que les traducteurs Facebook n'existent pas sur Twiter ou du moins je ne les ai pas trouvés...

It is already several months that I relay the messages of Laure on Facebook but since we are asked to touch more and more people I reactivated my account Twiter and Google ...
By cons what is a shame is that the Facebook translators do not exist on Twiter or at least I have not found them ...

A Jay said:

Thanks A Jay! I'm not a very advanced user of Twitter and I'm still figuring different functionalities out so the more tips the better :)

It would be great if someone could clarify these for me too:

1. If I'm retweeting someone else's tweet, is it advisable to add a hashtag or will retweet itself do the job?
2. If the original tweet I'm retweeting has a hashtag, will adding one in the retweet help or does it have no impact on the visibility of the retweet?

I've have a very limited idea of Twitter's algorithms work so if someone does - share the love so we all can adjust the sails!

PERLOU said:
Voilà déjà plusieurs mois que je repartage les messages de Laure sur Facebook mais depuis qu'ils nous est demandé de touché de plus en plus de personnes j'ai réactivé mon compte Twiter et Google...
Par contre ce qui est dommage c'est que les traducteurs Facebook n'existent pas sur Twiter ou du moins je ne les ai pas trouvés...

It is already several months that I relay the messages of Laure on Facebook but since we are asked to touch more and more people I reactivated my account Twiter and Google ...
By cons what is a shame is that the Facebook translators do not exist on Twiter or at least I have not found them ...

Hello PERLOU, I found this article about translating tweets in a different language here: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20172133 and if you would like to view it in French, there is a drop down option in the top right corner where you can select the language you want.

To view a Tweet translation:
1. When you see a Tweet in a different language, look for the globe icon located in the Tweet.
2, If you see it, click or tap the Tweet to expand it.
3. A translation of the text in the Tweet will appear below the original Tweet.

Once the translation shows up, I guess you could copy it and retweet it. Hope it works for you! :)

Marina9 said:
Thanks A Jay! I always forget to add hashtags.. :/ which I guess is the point in Twitter hehe, just tried that with the article on Stoicism, and someone added me to a list.. which im not very sure how that works.. :huh:

I was also added to two lists to my surprise. If the first looks "insignificant", the second is very pro Hillary and anti Trump!
I wanted to get out but I don't know how to do it. Is this only possible?

After reflection, and since it is not of my own free will, I think that it may finally not be a bad thing ...
I do not know how it works, but maybe some curious people on the list could be led to see my Tweets, think about it, and finally see things from another angle. I would thus "infiltrate" unwittingly the "enemy" camp to change the opinions of some from within.

It's just my thought.

Marina9 said:

If you click your profile picture icon on the top right of the screen, you can click and the second selections after 'view profile' is 'lists'. From there you can view any lists you've made or lists others have put you on. Just looked at some of the lists I'm on, and there's not much being tweeted there that's related to the group list. So not to sure about their usefulness.

Ant22 said:
Thanks A Jay! I'm not a very advanced user of Twitter and I'm still figuring different functionalities out so the more tips the better :)

It would be great if someone could clarify these for me too:

1. If I'm retweeting someone else's tweet, is it advisable to add a hashtag or will retweet itself do the job?
2. If the original tweet I'm retweeting has a hashtag, will adding one in the retweet help or does it have no impact on the visibility of the retweet?

I've have a very limited idea of Twitter's algorithms work so if someone does - share the love so we all can adjust the sails!

1. Just retweeting is sufficient to bump it back up to the top of people's feeds, so it's not always necessary though it can be useful.
2. Retweeting with the same hashtags that are already used in the original tweet doesn't do anything, but if a tweet that you're wanting to retweet has one or two hashtags and is related to other fields then adding more hashtags will increase exposure.

So say you have a tweet about #Aleppo that's really good. Well you can retweet it and add #Syria, #SyriaCrisis, etc. and it will spread the message farther than the original and keep it 'on message'.

Trytofly said:
I was also added to two lists to my surprise. If the first looks "insignificant", the second is very pro Hillary and anti Trump!
I wanted to get out but I don't know how to do it. Is this only possible?

After reflection, and since it is not of my own free will, I think that it may finally not be a bad thing ...
I do not know how it works, but maybe some curious people on the list could be led to see my Tweets, think about it, and finally see things from another angle. I would thus "infiltrate" unwittingly the "enemy" camp to change the opinions of some from within.

It's just my thought.

Yeah, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, and in a way it can be seen as doing you a favor. Your tweets will show up in the list feed and people may seem them that otherwise wouldn't, and who knows what may happen because of that.

A Jay said:
Marina9 said:

If you click your profile picture icon on the top right of the screen, you can click and the second selections after 'view profile' is 'lists'. From there you can view any lists you've made or lists others have put you on. Just looked at some of the lists I'm on, and there's not much being tweeted there that's related to the group list. So not to sure about their usefulness.

Ah, thanks A Jay, looking through that list doesn't seem to have much related to the topic, but they have some book recommendations, quotes, etc., Maybe it won't be totally related to the topic, but something out there could be worth, plus other members getting to know SOTT if interested :)

Divide By Zero said:
I wasn't saying it was useless. Some people might wake up to new info. I post things on facebook at times, on my personal account I post less "outide" things, but enough to give people some information that they might have never seen.

I just find the system that brings ranking, etc itself useless, it's like trying to get an article posted in news paper- they can still put your article in but hide it in the back.

That's just what I see with the viral trends, they're pre screened it seems. A youtuber joked at how the top trending videos are obviously paid, but they are so lazy to even falsify the views, haha. Something with 45k views magically was in the top 10 and he was making fun of how lazy youtube has become. It's similar on other social media platforms.

So, if we reach ONE person, that's good enough. But I do it knowing my voice may never be heard.

Divide By Zero,
Your voice may never be heard, but you might find letting your intellect, knowledge and years of studying the news and signs of the times rip against what is going on fun and satisfying. The last few days I've enjoyed doing just that and it is cathartic in a way. Seems to me the time to hold back, yet within certain boundaries of discretion, has passed.

edit: grammar

Ant22 said:
Yup, I can totally relate to that! I used to think that I could help people see the full picture if only I used the right arguments that resonated with them. But I've now gotten to the point where I think the "software" to understand certain concepts and truths that go beyond some people's pre-established beliefs just isn't there. It would be a complete waste of my time and energy to keep hitting my head against the wall.

As the saying goes, "in the age of information ignorance is a choice" and I guess they also have their free will to reject my arguments and stay where they are.

There are enough people with the right "software" out there who are capable of awakening to the "social proof". And you never know what words or news might strike a cord and inspire them to check the facts and data for themselves.
If it does, I'll make sure to explain and answer any questions they may have because a couple of years back someone did that for me too - and that set me on a path that eventually brought me here.

This is why it's important to me to only share content I'm comfortable with in terms of the amount and quality of facts I myself have gathered about it. Cognitive dissonance is a common initial response - and I must sheepishly admit that it was my first reaction too. It takes sufficient amount of information to support my point with, otherwise it will look like I'm trying to contradict their "facts" with my opinions and that's a short-cut to a disaster. For them, for me and most importantly - for the truth.

Just my two cents :)

As a nerd/geek/whatever, you used the perfect terminology. Software!

In mindfulness meditation, seeing how some of the thoughts are not really me, helped me see behind the scenes of this "software". It seems like the problem is the "drivers" (software that connects hardware and interconnects the parts of the brain/personality). If the drivers keep filtering the input or translate things incorrectly between parts of the brain (extreme case- split brain experiments), no matter how intelligent- the drivers will override logic. So we see snowflakes, global warming alarmists, and so on.

I too have hope in sharing information with people who have compatible "drivers/software" :)

It's just tiring to be in a world that seems to have a majority who aren't or who hide it to avoid uncomfortable truths.

I joke sometimes that if reincarnation is real, I want to reincarnate as a dumb person in a smart world, haha.

Back
Top Bottom