Session 2 May 2015

As to depression, I often find that old cliche to be true: it's always darkest before the dawn. It's amazing to me how one can feel renewed and re-inspired, and even onto something new creatively speaking, just after experiencing the worst and darkest feelings of doubt, and even despair. This has perhaps wrongly been attributed to the artistic temperament, since it's no doubt the creative spirit in all of us that needs to submerge in order to re-alight itself again.

… so, it's to hold fast sometimes, until that dawn… even amid all the chaos, it seems.

Oh, I thought I'd add, that my father (who was something of a ham, and had a pretty good singing voice too) used to sing The Impossible Dream to me as a child. I know the album from the musical well, in fact, and I love Richard Kiley's rendition especially:

https://youtu.be/cWRMUP1k-4E

… (you know, this is beginning to make me feel that I've fallen in with the right crowd!)

.. gee.. I did the video embed code and it didn't work for some reason.. putting the link between the two bracketed codes.. hmm..

Every day I learn something, in Sott.net and coming here. I feel connected. Learning how this planet is going is fascinating. And also very sad. And it is, I think so, understandable to feel depressed, sometimes, and feel fear. Lately I feel anguish thinking about my future, per moments, so what I do is telling myself that I do what I can do now and I am what I can do, now. Outside is always stressful, people around me are lost, they just talk about cancer, their misery, their gray lives. To be present and try to be me is the force that gives me energy. This planet is in a toxic mood, following a good diet, eating fat and smoking, not look tv, listening to the news with a grain of salt and be like a detective, are my survival kit.

I know what it is to be in a depression mode, I had a strong depression long time ago, it is very hard, a strong situation that need attention, care, love, comfort, and understanding about what is happening. Depression can be a very necessary lesson that help us to grow, to understand oneself, and others. I hope that people who are in a depression can understand also that we can exit a depression, that depression is not something eternal. Even if when you are in it you feel that that's it.

Thank you for the threat about depression, I will read it to learn more about it, and thant you Laura for the poem and your words.

Prometeo said:
sitting said:
Laura said:
Well, I'm in the club too. I've completely lost faith in humanity as a whole, but I continue to work for those who seem to be something more than just ordinary, machine-like humans. That's what keeps me going:

Dear Laura,

I for one, am counting on it.

Allow me to add another poem (a part, from Shelley)--which expresses so well the sentiments I hold dear.

Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number-
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you
Ye are many-they are few.

PS
Although sometimes I do question the proper placement of many and few.

Funny quote. I remember this dream I had few months ago. I was on a boat traveling from island to island, the problem was not only the storm, but the black seas moving as one singular black mass. When I got to the second island, I saw guys wearing some police suits and they were pulling chained lions into the black mass. These lions were not fighting too much, these men had machines and chains attached to the lions to be eaten by this monster.

Interesting dream, Prometeo. I had a dream this past week or so with a lion in it as well. In the dream the lion seemed to be running on a bridge in the city I use to live in, seems like there was some sort of obstacle midway through on the bridge. I don't know, It's pretty vague now in a way as I haven't written about it till now.

Konstantin said:
riclapaz said:
Leonel said:
MariuszJ said:
I have no idea at all why I am feeling so depressed. It started a year ago and is progressing. First of all I feel disconnected from the rest of society. I need to have a strong connection with other people because otherwise I have no strength to do anything. And it is difficult these days to have any connection with other people since people are so withdrawn and do not want to have anything to do with others, particularly in Poland.

I've been feeling depressed also. I'm tired. I have this feeling, that something has changed, don't know how to explain, as if something in life dried up. I used to write to my friends everyday but now there's not motive or stimulus to do it, like everything is said.

I don't know, maybe I need to rest and meditate.

Hello, if you have not yet had the opportunity to read this thread, I think it gives us some clues to understand and find some answers to these periods of depression.

Depression As A Stepping Stone (to Soul Growth)
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,2832.0.html

I`m on the same place as you. I feel the same . It usually comes in waves. This one starts 2-3 weeks ago and it still lasts , although i feel its loosing the strength.
I try to fight it by forcing myself to do. I dont have will to do EE, to post here, sometimes to do anything, but i`m forcing myself to do that. Sometimes its very hard. That thread Depression As A Stepping Stone (to Soul Growth) is an excellent source of informations. Just dont give up. Force yourself to do the work. There is no way back.

Here too, and I also find it comes in waves. There's resistance to putting forth the effort at times, especially when the low points hit. I think fighting it, is a good way to put it-about what it takes. EE/belly breathing does really seem to help weather some/a lot of the overwhelm of it all.

Have enjoyed reading others inspiring poems/songs/thoughts on this subject today, thanks.

Thank you

I want to share a poem from Mario Benedetti a poet from Uruguay:

Do not give up, there's still time
To reach out and start over,
Accept your shadows,
Bury your fears,
Release the ballast,
Return the flight.

Do not give up that life is that,
Continue the journey,
Chase after your dreams,
Unlock the time
Running the rubble,
And uncover the sky.

Do not give up, please do not give,
Although the cold burn,
Although the fear bites,
Although the sun goes down,
And the wind goes in silence
There is still fire in your soul
There is still life in your dreams.
Because life is yours and yours the desire.
Because you have loved and because I love you
Because wine and love exist, that's true.
Because there is no wound that time doesn't cure.
Open the doors,
Remove the bolts,
Leave the walls that protected you,
Live life and accept the challenge,
Retrieve your laughter,
Rehearse a song,
Lower the guard, extend your hands
Spread your wings
And try again,
Celebrate life and regain heaven.

Do not give up, please do not give,
Although the cold burn,
Although the fear bites,
Although the sun goes down and shut the wind,
There is still fire in your soul,
There is still life in your dreams
Because every day is a new beginning,
Because this is the hour and the best time.
Because you are not alone, because I love you.

Mario Benedetti
Do not give up

I love Peter O'Toole's version of The Impossible Dream:

https://youtu.be/RfHnzYEHAow?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0

Heather said:
.. gee.. I did the video embed code and it didn't work for some reason.. putting the link between the two bracketed codes.. hmm..

the code should look something like this:
Code:
[embed]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RfHnzYEHAow?rel=0&amp;controls=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Thank you Renaissance for that clip, Cassiopaea certainly does seem to be an unreachable star at times.
And Sophia Loren is as beautiful today as she was then, even in her eighties!
Peter O'Toole performs it well.

So, it seems that I'm not the only one with the depressing mood...

Ok, I know, one step forward and 2 steps back...

My petty tyrants made me to climb down some steps lately because I let them come too close. I still have problem to deal with selfish people. They put me out of me!
I'm aware that it's ok because I can see what I have to change to go forward, but It is really hard because they seem to be everywhere.
FWIW...

Heather said:

Hi Heather,

I just fixed your video.

You have to embed the iframe code and not the youtube link of the video.

You can find the iframe code below the video under share and after that you choose the second option which must be in English integrate and you copy the iframe code.

Or you can have a look at that thread: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,32215.msg436965.html#msg436965

And I love that version:

https://youtu.be/-Mfd4E7kpvc

Ok guys, maybe this will help with everyone’s depression:

It’s ok to be depressed,
It’s ok to be poor,
It’s ok to be unemployed,
It’s ok to be out of shape,
It’s ok to be lazy,
It’s ok to be less than handsome or beautiful, it’s even ok to be ugly,
It’s ok to be silly, to miss the point, to not grasp a concept,
It’s even ok to be stupid,
It’s ok to be disillusioned in the human race,

Could go on and on here with everything that is a reason for someone’s depression.

It’s better than being a corrupted politician or government official,
It’s better than being a judge dispensing immoral and criminal acts of injustice,
It’s better than being a layer lying to defend a corporation that destroys the environment, the health and lives of others,
It’s better than being a doctor that dispenses pharmaceuticals knowing that they are poison,
It’s better than being a general ordering air strikes against civilians or those who defend their home and families,
It’s better than being a soldier obeying orders that result in unjust, immoral and cruel actions,

You get the idea here… so many psychopaths that create so much suffering around,
And more than that… all there is “is lessons”,
Just choose the light.

I will chose the light no matter what... no matter when... forever and ever.... for as long as I exist.

And as long as even one of us does, the dark can not win, no matter how many temporary triumphs they have.

And I know I'm not alone

Thanks so much, Renaissance and Gandalf. I'll check out the details on how to embed videos myself for next time.

Also.. where might I find instructions to use this forum's software? I'm not sure how to quote from other people's posts, for example.

Renaissance, now that I look at it again, Peter O'Toole does quite a job with that song as well. And Gandalf, I love that Elvis did this song. It's the first time I'm hearing his version. It sounds like the Youtube poster over-dubbed a bit on the second half -- I guess this song just has this effect on people. It's like the national anthem, everyone has to have a go at it!

MariuszJ said:
I have no idea at all why I am feeling so depressed. It started a year ago and is progressing. First of all I feel disconnected from the rest of society. I need to have a strong connection with other people because otherwise I have no strength to do anything. And it is difficult these days to have any connection with other people since people are so withdrawn and do not want to have anything to do with others, particularly in Poland.

MariuszJ,

As you can now see you are not the only one who gets depressed. I don't know if you see the way I do but I think this post is a very good and honest one. For me this is what the Cs mean by networking. After reading your post I realized how depressed I am much or most of the time these days. Others have shared their feelings and experiences and then offered some ideas of how they deal with the depression. I have felt that you might be depressed from some of your previous posts but didn't know what to offer that might help.

I did go back to one of your previous questions when I saw that you had not given up on the forum. Here is the post in case you missed it scattered in with the other comments:

Re: Session 4 April 2015

I know you still have questions about some of the material here and I still have questions too. But I have found not found a better place than this forum to find others going through the same kinds of problems that I have in my own life. Even Laura is "in the club too." on this one.

Before I follow up on the Depression As A Stepping Stone (to Soul Growth) by reading more, I wanted to at least say a few words.

I actually think you have done us a service by bringing this common emotion to our attention. It sounds like you are going through a difficult "time" and you have my heartfelt sympathy. I share in the same struggle to live through these negative emotions (or at least learn from them).

Depression or (I prefer this term) crisis

If we consider that all existence (all manifestations) result countless: variations, combinations, permutations of the various waves, then so are our feelings.
If we look at the simplest wave; notice to its highest point and its lowest point, and that I place the crisis (in any form, physical, emotional and mental).

So you can be comfort :) : this is normal, cyclical, there is and will be.

I also noticed (and many of you), that position is very encouraging for me. Makes me want to questioning (asking questions) regarding anything and everything in my life, and that's the way I learn. When a man puts (formulate) questions, then answers come in various forms and in different ways. If the answers are identified and implemented, the man climbs, following the wave to a new high point.

This view (waveform) has caused in me a question: Am I Sisyphus?
When I looked well my whole life, I noticed the following; If I did a lesson, my life situation changes (some people go out of my life, the second coming, the problems that seemed unsolvable, in a sense, disappear or appear, opportunities that previously were not visible). It seems to me (as in a theater) that the whole scene changed for the next act. I also noticed, if a person's intentions have driven away (because evaluate that are harmful to me) or try to avoid a situation, this situation is repeated only with other characters (actors).

There is no running away from problems.

And I was also asked about the impact or no impact, my work at society. There then arose the question of responsibility; Am I responsible for other people's choices and actions?
I have satisfied myself with the role of small droplets in a waterfall.

(Translation does not look very poetic, but still ....)

Dobriša Cesarić:

Waterfall

A waterfall flows, and flows, and flows;
What does my little drop mean to it?

Look, a rainbow appears in the water,
And it shines, and tremble in thousand colours.

My little drop helps to create
That dream in the waterfall and makes it shine.

Regards to all.

Depression or (I prefer this term) crisis

Happy birthday to JFK
"The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis'. One brush stroke stands for danger,
the other for the occasion in a crisis, be aware of the danger - But recognize the opportunity"

Learning said:
Ok guys, maybe this will help with everyone’s depression:

It’s ok to be depressed,
It’s ok to be poor,
It’s ok to be unemployed,
It’s ok to be out of shape,
It’s ok to be lazy,
It’s ok to be less than handsome or beautiful, it’s even ok to be ugly,
It’s ok to be silly, to miss the point, to not grasp a concept,
It’s even ok to be stupid,
It’s ok to be disillusioned in the human race,

Could go on and on here with everything that is a reason for someone’s depression.

It’s better than being a corrupted politician or government official,
It’s better than being a judge dispensing immoral and criminal acts of injustice,
It’s better than being a layer lying to defend a corporation that destroys the environment, the health and lives of others,
It’s better than being a doctor that dispenses pharmaceuticals knowing that they are poison,
It’s better than being a general ordering air strikes against civilians or those who defend their home and families,
It’s better than being a soldier obeying orders that result in unjust, immoral and cruel actions,

You get the idea here… so many psychopaths that create so much suffering around,
And more than that… all there is “is lessons”,
Just choose the light.

I will chose the light no matter what... no matter when... forever and ever.... for as long as I exist.

And as long as even one of us does, the dark can not win, no matter how many temporary triumphs they have.

And I know I'm not alone

That is definitely a way to turn it around on the self and remember that we do have choices.

Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone, that soar above,
Enjoy such liberty.

Lovelace

Back
Top Bottom