Session 9 April 2011

Laura said:
You may definitely want to read "Life Without Bread" where the issue of underweight people on a low carb diet is addressed in some detail.
Will do, just put it on order.

Laura said:
Stranger said:
I see you've read "Life Without Bread"? :P
Yup! Great book and HIGHLY recommended!

Glad you liked it!

Laura said:
I just wish he was onto the gluten and dairy thing too. But, so far, no book on these topics that we have read has been perfect based on our own experimentation and putting the puzzle together. I guess we'll have to write our own!

Indeed! Luckily you can't eat much bread/grains on his diet due to the carb limitation (but off course still to much). It is just fascinating how important the carb restriction is, conducted from his experiences with patients. Even without keeping off gluten, dairy, coffee, sugar and with grain-fed and factory farmed meet he had this great results. His books is one of few describing also how thin or underweight people can reach normal weight. This is a problem for me and you barely find advice about how to accomplish it in other books.

I remember he talks about gluten one or two times but attached no importance to it (which is quite sad) because in his eyes it's all about carbohydrates. But he wrote his book before intensive research was done on the glycemic index and glycemic load of foods, he also didn't knew about omega 6/3 ratio, lectins in general, the opioids in grains and off course he was a practical researcher and only wrote down what he had confirmed on his patients. I liked it how he critiziced raw fooder, wholefooder, the organic "hype" and other diet types because everybody claims something but doesn't back it up with real data. (Nevertheless today we have enough data about organic food for example) He really was between two extremes: the alternative people (raw, organic, etc.) on the one side and the medical establishment on the other, both rather dogmatic than scientific; there were no lobby for "low carb" at that time. I wonder if this was the reason why his important book wasn't well known during the first three or four decades.

If there wouldn't be the financial part, I would guide my carbohydrate input by his recommendations and switch to a almost all-meat diet. So gaining weight has to wait. :rolleyes:

Legolas said:
seek10 said:
though I started teaching EE recently, going to Rolfing, the feeling of this constant running is not good for me still lingers. Still Feel tired in a day of office work( obviously from endless mental programs that run in hectic life) after 2 days of charged up weekend rest. Though I control the negative emotions ( rather shut it) , still Confuses me to no end about what else to do ?. thoughts like "Why don't I use retirement savings any way all will go down soon." Well, they won't come for long, so I chugg on. Not sure what is right or wrong. I know there is some thread in forum, read little bit.

Hello seek10, I'm sorry to hear where are you going through, have you the chance taking some days off from work, so that you could gain perspective again? Cause I can imagine, if you are still in this vicious cycle, it is really hard to make a proper decision and from there network about it.

My two cents.

I hope I can. I am stuck in a very important project that will go on for another 2 months along with usual dozens of project and no Hope of taking break with out shocking management ( of course reactions will follow) . funny as it is, 2 days back my manager decided to take leave for 3 weeks of annual his quota , that will bring my stress levels to sky in newer future.

another thing I observed is for months, every day I woke up with panic attacks. If I want to wake up after 5 hrs sleep, I can, unless lies like "I need sleep" interferes. For some strange reason All this stops at 7 AM , as if some body switched off some thing. Now it all makes sense. could be HAARP and my panic attacks are a reaction to this thought loops. I usually get rid of them, but they instantly comes back, which inferiorates me no end.

Stranger said:
If there wouldn't be the financial part, I would guide my carbohydrate input by his recommendations and switch to a almost all-meat diet. So gaining weight has to wait. :rolleyes:

I think that for the individual who really needs to do an almost all-meat diet, and finances are an issue, there is one good way to approach it: stew beef/pork/lamb, whatever. The cheap cuts of meat can be cut into chunks, put in the pressure cooker with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and cooked under pressure for 30 minutes. Use very little water, and the meat juices make a fine sauce. You can have a bowl of this a couple times a day and meet your nutritional needs very inexpensively.

Laura said:
Stranger said:

I think that for the individual who really needs to do an almost all-meat diet, and finances are an issue, there is one good way to approach it: stew beef/pork/lamb, whatever. The cheap cuts of meat can be cut into chunks, put in the pressure cooker with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and cooked under pressure for 30 minutes. Use very little water, and the meat juices make a fine sauce. You can have a bowl of this a couple times a day and meet your nutritional needs very inexpensively.

I still don't know how to handle the fact that many persons tell us that if you eat too much meat, the ph of your body would be too much acid which could cause some problems and even some diseases.

So far, I have not find anything that explains in a simple way the effect of the meat on the body and his ph. :huh:

Laura said:

Thanks, Laura! :)

I will give it a try. Anyway it's crazy how much I can eat when my diet contains mostly carbs. I really eat the whole day. Some meet and I am full half of the day. So maybe it isn't really more money, when I follow your tips.

First, thanks A LOT for this informative session.

I was wondering in the last days a lot about inner changes, my reactions to it, feeling low in mood and dna changes. I have had strange vision changes too, like after working with myself, breathing and remembering my personal history (recapitulating). What was new was the fact that "behind the remembering" images appeared of abstract faces and even geometrical structures. It was hard to grasp but left a deep impact in me as the energy was supportive. I wonder how see this?

About hygiene on all levels, I decided to finally stop watching TV, except news updates. It does harm a lot and I feel it.

Thanks too for the "Life without bread" tip, I have ordered it. I became slim on Paleo diet and should not loose more weight than that.

Stranger said:
Laura said:

Thanks, Laura! :)

I will give it a try. Anyway it's crazy how much I can eat when my diet contains mostly carbs. I really eat the whole day. Some meet and I am full half of the day. So maybe it isn't really more money, when I follow your tips.

Also, what we've started doing is buying 'off-cuts' of cold meats from the butchers section of our local supermarket which sell at a much cheaper price than the weighed and sliced meats. They often come with a fair amount of fat which is useful for making stocks/broths or juts eating on its own. Perhaps you could try doing this?

Laura said:
Stranger said:

From my experience, since I'm eating every day from about 200 - 700gr of meat (mainly chicken), I gained in the last months about 4-6kgs. My diet is still mixed with veggies, fruits and lentils/amaranth ...

And thanks for the tip Laura, I like to do it that way with the pressure cooker and cheaper meat.

seek10 said:
I hope I can. I am stuck in a very important project that will go on for another 2 months along with usual dozens of project and no Hope of taking break with out shocking management ( of course reactions will follow) . funny as it is, 2 days back my manager decided to take leave for 3 weeks of annual his quota , that will bring my stress levels to sky in newer future.

another thing I observed is for months, every day I woke up with panic attacks. If I want to wake up after 5 hrs sleep, I can, unless lies like "I need sleep" interferes. For some strange reason All this stops at 7 AM , as if some body switched off some thing. Now it all makes sense. could be HAARP and my panic attacks are a reaction to this thought loops. I usually get rid of them, but they instantly comes back, which inferiorates me no end.

Could you integrate more EE parts in your daily life and how is your diet going? Maybe some work out: walking etc. may of help.

Just to mention since gaining weight has been evoked, on the other part of the spectrum, since i switched a few months ago to a meat-based diet, i am loosing weight. A lady from the neighborhood asked me about how i did it. I tried to explain the animal fat part but she didn't seem to understand (or she thought i was joking).

Pai said:
Also, what we've started doing is buying 'off-cuts' of cold meats from the butchers section of our local supermarket which sell at a much cheaper price than the weighed and sliced meats. They often come with a fair amount of fat which is useful for making stocks/broths or juts eating on its own. Perhaps you could try doing this?

Fresh chicken wings from the butcher are also cheap. Here, it is half a price one would pay for kilo of pork pieces, for example. They are fatty and easily done in the oven. Beef is pretty pricey here for almost all-meat diet, but there are cheaper alternatives. Also try red turkey pieces. It's cheaper than beef and has fat in it too.

Pai said:

Yep :) With "cheap cuts of meat" (Laura), I associated this off-cuts from the butcher. Everything else is to expensive. Off course, problem is always that I don't eat factore farmed meat. So I have to pay 2-6 times more in general.

mkrnhr said:
Just to mention since gaining weight has been evoked, on the other part of the spectrum, since i switched a few months ago to a meat-based diet, i am loosing weight. A lady from the neighborhood asked me about how i did it. I tried to explain the animal fat part but she didn't seem to understand (or she thought i was joking).

That's the fascinating thing. Everyone will get to his ideal weight, some earlier, some later. Also explained in "Life Without Bread".

Legolas said:
Laura said:
Stranger said:

From my experience, since I'm eating every day from about 200 - 700gr of meat (mainly chicken), I gained in the last months about 4-6kgs. My diet is still mixed with veggies, fruits and lentils/amaranth ...

And thanks for the tip Laura, I like to do it that way with the pressure cooker and cheaper meat.

Hm I'm on meat diet about 500- 800 gr day and I lost weight 6 kg.

Keit said:
Pai said:

Fresh chicken wings from the butcher are also cheap. Here, it is half a price one would pay for kilo of pork pieces, for example. They are fatty and easily done in the oven. Beef is pretty pricey here for almost all-meat diet, but there are cheaper alternatives. Also try red turkey pieces. It's cheaper than beef and has fat in it too.

If you want cheap meet try to buy pig and to the same quarter of the cost to convert 8 zł / 2 euro per kilo.

Gandalf said:
Laura said:
Stranger said:

I still don't know how to handle the fact that many persons tell us that if you eat too much meat, the ph of your body would be too much acid which could cause some problems and even some diseases.

So far, I have not find anything that explains in a simple way the effect of the meat on the body and his ph. :huh:

Possibly excess of some aminoacid with negative charge circulating resultant of the proteolisis of meat in the stomach.
If I had the sequence of aminoacids of meat perhaps I could make an educated guess at which one.

seek10 said:
It looks as if this is for me. I will need to rant which I was postponing for a while.

Hi seek10,

What you described seems pretty intense. Too intense in fact, not to be addressed. You mentioned constant ADD problems and sleep panic attacks. Even if the management becomes shocked by you asking some time off, it seems that you are about to run out of steam if you don't do so, or at least find any other way to calm yourself down. When one runs on one's last energy reserves, all the will and motivation tends to fly out of the window since all energy is used to preserve one's basic functions.

Have you had the opportunity to read Are you getting enough sleep? Sleeping Properly? thread?

I'm sure that you know how important it is to get yourself balanced in all senses in order to function, and that includes proper rest. Also, as you are teaching EE, it is important to, as much as you can, live what you are teaching ;) attendants can pick up on those things you know, so that if you are a pile of stress, that will somehow overflow.

Meager1 said:
Also noticed a sudden craving for unhealthy foods (haven't given in except for a bit of chocolate, which I've regretted) and dissociation, as in everything felt like too much of hard work and I just wanted to forget for a while (didn't give in to that at all).

Yup same here. I actualy ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a chunk of cheese on the side!
Some recent but minor depression, though I refuse to dwell in it.

It is very easy to give in to bad habits when one's energy is low, and what you both described seems to be happening to several members lately.
One thing to remember that might help is that actions are like snowballs. The more we act in a certain way, the easier it becomes to continue acting that way. In that sense, when you push through and don't give in even when your energy is so low that it feels like you "deserve" a piece of nasty food, it will make it easier to keep pushing through next time, and it tends to actually make one feel better on a deeper sense, as in, capable of sticking to one's aim. Will tends to grow gradually like a muscle that's exercised.

I would certainly love to keep pushing through all the time with the several things I need to work on in my life, but eventually something, or many things, gives in. In any case, when I have pushed through several times in the past, it becomes increasingly easier to get back on track.

Back
Top Bottom