Smoking is... good?

I figured this would be the correct thread to post this question...

Does anyone in the forum have any experiences with vapes? E-cigarettes? I understand a majority of them are more harm than good, considering metallic heating elements mixed with water vapor, and I believe some are soy based.. yuck.

Are there any decent vapes that someone has a bit of knowledge about that can still deliver nicotine but not all the other crap in them? I tried to look some up but apparently here in the US anything with nicotine is worse than cereal, gluten, lead, mercury, arsenic and is a 100% death sentence according to the drug deale.. I mean doctors.

It would be nice to smoke in the house while working and not freeze my tail off this winter... lol. I can forget about smoking tobacco in the house without getting a cast iron pan thrown at my head :lol:

Does anyone in the forum have any experiences with vapes? E-cigarettes? I understand a majority of them are more harm than good, considering metallic heating elements mixed with water vapor, and I believe some are soy based.. yuck.

Are there any decent vapes that someone has a bit of knowledge about that can still deliver nicotine but not all the other crap in them? I tried to look some up but apparently here in the US anything with nicotine is worse than cereal, gluten, lead, mercury, arsenic and is a 100% death sentence according to the drug deale.. I mean doctors.

It would be nice to smoke in the house while working and not freeze my tail off this winter... lol. I can forget about smoking tobacco in the house without getting a cast iron pan thrown at my head :lol:
First thing to bear in mind is that there is a strong anti-vaping contingent. These people were part of the anti-smoking lobby originally, but widened their remit once vaping started to become popular. IMO they are Neo-puritans. I found it hilarious because the pro-vaping anti-smoking people suddeny started complaining that these people were lying, fudging the science etc - all the things we used to complain about with regard to the anti-smoking fraudulent data.

However I say this because a lot of the negative stuff around vaping comes from these people so, just like the anti-smoking rhetoric,you can take it with a pinch of salt. All vapes have a metallic heating coil, it is after all how the vapour is produced. All the vape liquids I am aware of consist of a mixture of propelyne glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerine (VG) and no water.. The higher the level of VG, the more vapour they produce when heated, and these tend to use devices that need a high wattage. Not aware of any that are soy based.

Next thing is that the great majority of vape liquid suppliers are smaller manufacturers, vapers who decided to get into production to turn out flavours they wanted. Very few pharma type organisations, particularly in the liquid manufacturing area. Disposables are a bit of a different story so I'd steer clear of them. There are two different types of vaping devices, one tha uses nicotine salts which have natural nicotine in them, and the high VG liquids which use synthetic nicotine and which produce prodigious clouds of vapour.

I've been vaping for around 2 years now, after the cost of tobacco became prohibitive in NZ. I vape nicotine salt based vapes. You will need to acquire a vaping device - Innokin and Aspire are two good brands. You will also need to buy coils to go with them, which typically last a couple of weeks. Then you will need to source some liquid. Nic salt liquids typically come in 20, 30, 40, or 50 mg strength. I vape 40 or 50. As far as flavours, you just have to try a few and find something that you like. In my experience, avoid the supposed tobacco flavoured ones, I have tried literally dozens, and none of them taste like smoking a cigarette. I finally settled on an orange ice flavour.

So, over to you. It is a process of trial and error. Best of luck.

I don't know whether you can still get any decent liquids in the US but I doubt it. What still works are DIY methods. The basics are covered here:

and here:

@flashgordonv This is extremely helpful thank you. I believe it was vegetable glycerine that I was referring to, not soy. My mistake.
I guess I didn't want to go shooting in the dark so to say. I'm assuming the vapes that use the nicotine salts are carried in the propylene Glycol mixture.

@broken.english I appreciate the links

Now I have a great starting point!
The nic salts liquid tend to be 50/50 pg /vg. The synthetic stuff usually 70/30 vg/pg

Hey @Steph_rivers, I just wanted to chime in with my experience using nicotine salts in the US. I was a heavy smoker for 5 years (mainly American Spirit organic cigs/roll your own tobacco). Typically consuming a pack a day. I've been vaping for 10 years. Still smoke tobacco occasionally. I am more sensitive to stimulants especially as I get older. I used nic salts for maybe 6 months couple of years ago, because I vape heavily, I wound up getting really strong doses of nicotine to the point of overdose and would have very uncomfortable symptoms like heart racing, anxiety. Nicotine salts are stronger than regular nicotine liquids. I think it really depends on your individual constitution and how frequently you vape and the nicotine content you're comfortable with.

I would also advise to seek out an independently owned shop as opposed to a chain store (Vapor Maven, Vape 100, etc.) The independents that have been able to hang on through all the regulation of the last few years are in my experience much more knowledgeable and willing to help you find what you need.

Everyone's tastes are different when it comes to e-liquids. If you are a menthol smoker you might like icy flavors, fruit flavors are quite popular. I commented in an earlier post in this thread that I've seen commercial juices changed over the years in the US. They are just not as good as they used to be. Sometimes I try new things, but I haven't found anything I really liked in a while. The juice I like is Yogi (peanut butter banana granola bar/apple cinnamon granola bar/blueberry granola bar). Its the only juice I've tried that still has the same flavor impact as juices did in the early days.

There is also some great information in this thread about making your own e-liquid. My time is quite limited and this hasn't been an option for me to try currently, but I suspect this would be the most healthy way to go about it.

In Arkansas, a few years ago they outlawed the purchase of e-liquids online. This really has limited us to what we can obtain locally. I currently drive an hour to get to a good little independent shop still in operation. I'm not sure what Louisiana's laws are like around this issue, but you might look into it.

One last thing when I first started vaping, I had a bit of an adaptation phase. The vapor is a bit different from smoke, and my lungs hurt some at first. It passed quickly though. Afterwards, I noticed my breathing improved significantly and I no longer had a heavy feeling in my chest that smoking gave me, and my throat felt better too.

I wish you luck on your experiment.

@Freya Stewart Thanks, I will take the dosage into consideration. Yea I also recently found out in Louisiana they just recently banned E-Juices and vapes. Hilarious! I guess some senators got some extra cash from their sponsors this year. I'll postpone the quest until after I move, I guess :cool2:

With the UK government planning a similar smoking ban as implemented in New Zealand (I believe the plan is to ban anyone born after 2005 from ever buying tobacco) - the New Zealand government has apparently decided to scrap their ban…
Their excuse is fears over a "lucrative black market" arising. However, "the move has also been made to fund tax cuts"

The mention of the ‘Smokefree’ laws have been absent from any government policy during election campaigns and new finance minister Nicola Willis said on Saturday the government would repeal the legislation.
'Health' groups are up in arms over the decision.

The UK is still set to go ahead with its version of the ban

The new laws, unveiled at the Conservative Party conference, would mean a 14-year-old will ‘never legally be sold a cigarette’ as the smoking age limit is gradually increased from 18.

I've tried using an inexpensive cigarette rolling machine before but it was more irritating than helpful so I quit using it. The problem was that it wouldn't consistently pack the tube or would wad up the tube. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a machine that did a good job consistently.

I've tried using an inexpensive cigarette rolling machine before but it was more irritating than helpful so I quit using it. The problem was that it wouldn't consistently pack the tube or would wad up the tube. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a machine that did a good job consistently.
This is the one I use, it's been very good (Powermate) :

This used to happen to me as well. Here's what I found that helped increase my success in using tobacco tube injectors. First, make sure the tobacco is dry, but not too dry. A good gauge is the tobacco should be crunchy but not so dry it falls apart. Second, you want to cut the long shreds of tobacco down to a point the strands are no longer than a few centimeters. After I figured these two key things out I rarely have a failure in loading a tube properly. Of course a good injector is a must. I've got this one and love it.

Not the OCB organic hemp ones:

"The core fibres which are the main component of the filter, come from sustainably managed forests.
To reduce environmental impact, the paper tube and filter are unbleached and biodegradable, and they decompose naturally."
cellulose is still a plastic although a "bioplastic" but not necessarily bio compatible

Back
Top Bottom