What's the weather where you are?

In SC Alaska, it's been raining for several days - high temps being around 60°F.

Yesterday we had a short break in the rain... I noticed first a wisp of steam coming off the roof, indicating sunshine. And it was getting sunny, but also windy. I knew there would probably be power outages because the wind was howling and the trees blowing around. The interesting thing about this wind event was it was warm air - at least room temperature - comfortable to stand in.

So, we had a power outage, and apparently the strong winds were wide spread, as it caused outages at three different electric companies. The power here was out for less than three hours, and the clouds returned and the temps back down to 60°F in a couple hours.

As far as the season goes, the trees are still mostly green, but a slight yellowing. Low temps are around 50°F. No termination dust yet in the mountains.

Sheets of rain last night in Belgrade. The most was in my municipality, 67 liters per m2. A month worth of rain in one night. I woke up several times during the night because it scared me. No thunderstorms, just constant heavy rain.

Stockholm, Sweden
19 Oct 2023 22:35

Wow - who would have thought. Newly awakened in the evening and on my way to work - SNOW on the ground (broken cover). Even in the city i see patches (at Gullmarsplan Plaza)

Yesterday evening i was aware that it already was snowing north of Stockholm with the cold air flowing southwards over the warmer sea, creating snow showers along the coast and a bit inland while temperatures where already falling towards 0°C there.

Yet, it still took me by surprise to see snow on the ground this evening and the temperatures unusual low, already close to freezing.

This is one of the earliest dates with snow on the ground i can remember, since i moved to Stockholm in 1984.

• 2-3 Oct 1994, 04.00 - 2-3 cm on the ground in the city but gone by 0800 when they measure the depth

• 10 Oct 1995: 8 cm snow on the ground turning eveything into a deep winter landscape

IMG_1621.jpeg

In SC Alaska, it is 35°F-45°F with morning frost. It snowed once so far, but did not accumulate and melted right away.

I'm hoping for a mild winter, and it's warmer than normal, but nothing dramatic.

Last night, we had freezing rain, and when the sun rose, the ice accumulation melted rapidly causing streams of water to flow off the roof. I went outside to look at the roof, because it didn't seem natural. The temp is at the point where the frost remains in the shade, but seems pretty warm in direct light.

Lower Austria, Southern Part
After we had a very nice September with lots of sunshine and warm temperatures (about 24° C) we started to getting nervous in October. We realized that It had not been raining for weeks, even in the forests the leaves are dry. And temperatures were really unusually high for October. Normally we have about 15°-20°C or so, one enjoys autumn and can prepare for the cold wintertime. But this year we had in the morning about 8°, sometimes even 4° and in the afternoon we had about 27°C. That was not very nice.
So the joke ran: You put on your winter dress in the morning and in the afternoon you change to your bathing suit.

Today in SC Alaska, we've had our 1st major snow. Between day before yesterday, and today, we have about 9-12 inches of snow. Schools are canceled, and the lights have been flickering, so power outages are possible. The forecast calls for the snow to turn to rain.

It is 36°F and has been very mild temperature-wise so far this fall. The days have been hovering above and below the freezing mark.

Since daylight saving time, it now gets dark around 5:30PM.

Stockholm, Sweden
13 Nov 2023

2023-11-11-09-34-49.jpg 2023-11-11-11-09-55.jpg

Finally... One hour of sunshine, 11 Nov 2023 at 11.10

While it has been pretty mild

during the first 1.5 weeks in November, up to 9°C. here in Stockholm... the temperatures are now going down towards frost. However, the most dreary aspect in the past 3 weeks has been the massive LACK OF SUNSHINE ! I personally feel it in the lack of creative inspiration and a stubborn overall "sluggishness" - like when you, on your free days from work, only do the absolutely necessary, nothing more.
In terms of rain, after only 13 days, we already reached the 100% mark for November: 48.0 mm

Temperatures 2023

Below you see how temperatures vs. anomalies developed this year in Stockholm City + (Minima) for Tullinge. Notice also up here in Sweden, (like other members reported earlier with similar experiences), that summer was a let down in July & August.

_-2023-11-13-at-19.09.29.png

Sunshine hours 2023

Below you can see how the monthly sunshine hours for Stockholm city went this year 2023, where June was fascinating sunny (and very warm), breaking almost the record in sunshine hours.

Then in July, weather turned into a very wet mess (129,7 mm, or 210% of normal) without any steady periods only to get even worse in August 2023, as it got even colder, as well wetter than normal (87,8 mm) And the sunshine hours dropped to an almost new low record. My flower plants on the balcony didn't like it at all, and went from brilliant to dull (as if it was already October)

September on the other hand, turned out beautifully warm (for our region) as well sunny - since the sun was out almost ever day at least for several hours. Also the rain was finally more normal (44,5 mm - while 53 mm is the normal average) - which gave us a sort of band-aid / making up for the bad July and August.

The first two weeks in October, where on the mild side, with temperatures at one occasion up to 17°C, but then dropped rapidly into cold weather more like beginning of December, with snow at times - and the sun disappeared ever since.

Now it is November, where the trend of the disappearing sunshine from October continued - like an "endless gray", day in and day out. Together with the outlook for the next two weeks calling for mainly overcast weather - it looks like the whole month will turn out extremely poor.

Reminds me of December 2020 - where we only got 3.6 hours of sunshine, and January 2021 only 24 hours. A three month period during winter 2020/21 with unusual little sunshine.

Will it repeat during winter 2023/24 again ?

_-2023-11-13-at-18.59.08.png

_-2023-11-13-at-18.59.56.png

Last edited:
Here in Wales, on the west coast, well it's a damp but mild Autumn so far. Rain has been regular for 6 weeks, but the temperatures remain very high for the time of year. We've also had a couple of storms pass over, very strong winds. I did a 5 mile walk to visit a friend on Wednesday, and I worked up a sweat doing it, unheard of for November. Thankfully this has enabled us to keep our heating bills low by conserving energy. But all in all, can't complain.

Stockholm, Sweden
13 Nov 2023

View attachment 85533 View attachment 85532

Finally... One hour of sunshine, 11 Nov 2023 at 11.10

While it has been pretty mild

during the first 1.5 weeks in November, up to 9°C. here in Stockholm... the temperatures are now going down towards frost. However, the most dreary aspect in the past 3 weeks has been the massive LACK OF SUNSHINE ! I personally feel it in the lack of creative inspiration and a stubborn overall "sluggishness" - like when you, on your free days from work, only do the absolutely necessary, nothing more.
In terms of rain, after only 13 days, we already reached the 100% mark for November: 48.0 mm

Temperatures 2023

Below you see how temperatures vs. anomalies developed this year in Stockholm City + (Minima) for Tullinge. Notice also up here in Sweden, (like other members reported earlier with similar experiences), that summer was a let down in July & August.

View attachment 85530

Sunshine hours 2023

Below you can see how the monthly sunshine hours for Stockholm city went this year 2023, where June was fascinating sunny (and very warm), breaking almost the record in sunshine hours.

Then in July, weather turned into a very wet mess (129,7 mm, or 210% of normal) without any steady periods only to get even worse in August 2023, as it got even colder, as well wetter than normal (87,8 mm) And the sunshine hours dropped to an almost new low record. My flower plants on the balcony didn't like it at all, and went from brilliant to dull (as if it was already October)

September on the other hand, turned out beautifully warm (for our region) as well sunny - since the sun was out almost ever day at least for several hours. Also the rain was finally more normal (44,5 mm - while 53 mm is the normal average) - which gave us a sort of band-aid / making up for the bad July and August.

The first two weeks in October, where on the mild side, with temperatures at one occasion up to 17°C, but then dropped rapidly into cold weather more like beginning of December, with snow at times - and the sun disappeared ever since.

Now it is November, where the trend of the disappearing sunshine from October continued - like an "endless gray", day in and day out. Together with the outlook for the next two weeks calling for mainly overcast weather - it looks like the whole month will turn out extremely poor.

Reminds me of December 2020 - where we only got 3.6 hours of sunshine, and January 2021 only 24 hours. A three month period during winter 2020/21 with unusual little sunshine.

Will it repeat during winter 2023/24 again ?

View attachment 85529

View attachment 85531

@XPan I heard about "unprecedented" snow at this time of the year in Stockholm - I'm wondering is it as "unprecedented" and bad as they say, or is it something seen before? Not a lot of mainstream news on this weather event, as it flies in the face of the "snowless"-AGW narrative.

Back
Top Bottom