What's the weather where you are?

There are some temperature spikes in Moscow. As I wrote above, at the end of December there was a plus temperature, which is generally unusual for this time. Then, within 3 days, the temperature dropped by 30 degrees to -27. Now it has jumped in the opposite direction. Yesterday it was still -24, today it is already -13, and tomorrow they promise -6. Coupled with record December snowfalls, the picture is unusual, although there is nothing yet that cannot be experienced.

В Москве происходят какие то температурные скачки. Как я выше писал, в конце декабря была плюсовая температура, что в общем то необычно для этого времени. Потом в течении 3 дней температура опустилась на 30 градусов, до -27. Теперь скакнула в обратную сторону. Вчера еще было -24, сегодня уже -13, а завтра обещают -6. Вкупе с рекордными декабрьскими снегопадами картина необычная, хотя и нет пока ничего такого, что нельзя пережить.

In SC Alaska, it is snowy. We've about 5-6 inches of new snow. Yesterday, the temps were hovering around 32°F (freezing), so snowflakes are larger. The surface of the snow is real lumpy, looking like the snow flakes clumped together as they fell. Usually the snow surface is nice and smooth.

It's cooler today at 22°F and mostly clear. It's supposed to dip into the single digits by midweek.

For 2023, the precipitation for the Anchorage area is the 3rd most on record, at 24.22 inches.

Sunrise: 10:07am sunset 4:05pm

Stockholm, Sweden
13 Jan 2024

As of this moment, it is just normal winter weather, slightly milder than average with -1°C [30.2°F] and occasional snowfall. Despite northerly winds, we had in the past days occasionally up to +3.7°C [38.7°F] , which from a meteorological point of view, was quite interesting (While places like Berlin had -10°C)

Oddly low temperatures in the cards ?
What I find a little bit odd is that SMHI's (Swedish Weather Service) prognosis for the period of 15-20 January, may go down to -24°C [-11.2°F] in the City with a windchill effect down to -33°C [-27.4°F] (and likely even colder in the suburbs). Daytime max could stay as low as -21°C [-5.8°] 🥶 A daytime temperature below -20°C in Stockholm city would be a very rare event.

In any case, such temperatures would be rather extreme, I must say - if that comes true. Then my second thought is that our metro trains certainly are not built for that: Too sensitive, less robust due too many digital components... often failing as soon it gets cold like -15°C. Once it goes below -20°C or -25°C... oh boy ! That's gonna be "fun".

Yet, perhaps its just prediction drama, while reality turns out a bit less extreme (say from -10°C to -15°C). But I'll report here if there are any unusual temperatures taking place.

_-2024-01-13-at-20.25.28.png

Stockholm, Sweden
16 Jan 2024

The temperatures have plunged, and cold air has swooped all the way down over Sweden (as well Finland and Norway). You find smilier low temperatures no matter where you are located within Sweden; whether in the South, Middle or in the extreme North, often reaching -20°C [-4°F]. Inland however, we find minimum temperatures all the way down to (the most) -36.6°C [-34°F], in places like Gielas, and Sveg (-36.1°C)

Stockholm area got -12°C [10.4°F] to -17°C [1.4°F] now, this morning around 09.00.

But at least... it is SUNNY ❤️

2024-01-16_temperatures.jpg

Stockholm, Sweden
22 Jan 2024

So, the earlier old prediction of that Stockholm city could possibly experience -24°C in the city, never came through (of course). The lowest in the city reached a value of "only" -13°C (8.6°F), while in the outer regions around and further away - it was a lot colder, like -22°C (-7.6°F) in Stockholm-Tullinge, and -25°C (-13°F) at Uppsala airfield.

2024-01-19-at-21.25.20.jpg 2024-01-21-at-14.41.33.jpg 2024-01-22-at-19.55.51.jpg

As I am writing - we got a strong switch of temperatures: Now around +6°C (42.8.6°F) in the Stockholm region, which after winter cold feels like "spring".

Due to plenty of snow on the ground (was 18 cm) and the feminine Eco clowns in the Stockholm Town hall - ordering to change snow cleaning patterns, as the the city told its entrepreneurs, only to clean the upper snow layers without touching the asphalt (on the walkways) - meaning that hard snow after people walk on, remains on the ground - but is now under influence of thawing weather, more like ice skating walkways). So... more bone breakage for the elderly, huh ?! 😤

It appears that the highway of cyclones is and will continue to stretch over North and Middle Europe, sending one after the next swirl over our lands, mixing the atmosphere well, resulting into mild weather.

This far in January 2024, Ø temperatures have been 5°C colder compared to normal (1990-2020 Ø) in Stockholm.

Since I'm from Winnipeg Manitoba, and most of my family still live there, I periodically check the weather in "Winterpeg". I was amazed when I checked yesterday and saw that the daytime temperatures were well above freezing for the last several days and for the next several days as well. I talked to my son last night and he said that most of the snow has melted as well. I lived the first 40 years of my life in Manitoba and I don't recall the temperature ever going above freezing in January.

Talk about strange weather! Is this another indication that we are very near the "tipping point"?
(L) Okay, let me see the questions. [Scrolling through chat to find questions...] "Observing the weather around the world, are we about to enter the next ice age?"

A: On the threshold.

Since I'm from Winnipeg Manitoba, and most of my family still live there, I periodically check the weather in "Winterpeg". I was amazed when I checked yesterday and saw that the daytime temperatures were well above freezing for the last several days and for the next several days as well. I talked to my son last night and he said that most of the snow has melted as well. I lived the first 40 years of my life in Manitoba and I don't recall the temperature ever going above freezing in January.

Talk about strange weather! Is this another indication that we are very near the "tipping point"?

It's unbelievable here in Winnipeg today - +7C and beating the warmest Jan.31 of +5 in 1952. It feels like early March. Everything is melting. Back to minus digits next week, though. A nice break for what's usually hands down the worst month of the year.

In SC Alaska, it is -11°F (-23°C). For the last couple weeks, it has been 0°F -10°F, with an exception of one day where it was 20°F and snowy, when about 9 in. of snow fell.

This is the coldest day I've seen so far this year. And it was a 7 degree drop from the previous coldest day... hope it don't stay cold too long!

Southern California, 3.5 inches of rain in the last three days. Personally I love it. There are people literally paddling down the street on surfboards. The downside is that some people are slogging through two feet of water to get to their mailboxes. The storm drains and channels are over capacity. Cars are being swept away. I will say this though, our mail carrier is a woman of immense fortitude! 😄

Olga is raging in Moscow. This is an Atlantic cyclone. It's been snowing since last night. Now the visibility is 100 meters, no more. A white veil, beautiful. Perhaps there will be another record.

В Москве бушует Ольга. Это атлантический циклон. Снег валит с прошлого вечера. Сейчас видимость метров 100, не больше. Белая пелена, красиво. Возможно будет очередной рекорд.

A white veil, beautiful.
The sad consequences of this beauty are already coming. How careless people are!
29 cars collided on the M-4 Don highway in Stupino

MOSCOW, Feb 7 — RIA Novosti. Almost 30 cars collided on the 86th kilometer of the M-4 Don highway in the Moscow region, according to the official Telegram channel of the Ministry of Transport and Road Infrastructure of the Moscow region.
"
"Due to an accident on the 86th kilometer of the M-4 Don highway in Stupin, there is no movement towards Moscow. There was a passing collision of 29 cars, according to preliminary information, there are victims," the department noted.
The Ministry of Transport clarified that it is possible to bypass the scene through the Kashirskoye highway with an exit from the M-4 at 94 kilometers.
In turn, a representative of the emergency services told RIA Novosti that one person was killed in the accident and three others were injured.
The day before, forecasters warned about the deterioration of weather conditions in Moscow due to cyclone Olga. Snow will fall in the capital on Wednesday afternoon, and a blizzard is forecast in some places. The formation of ice is also possible. Wind gusts of up to 17 meters per second are expected to increase.
На трассе М-4 "Дон" в Ступино столкнулись 29 машин

Уже наступают печальные последствия этой красоты. Как беспечны люди!

SC Alaska - It has warmed up since the last weather report considerably. Today it is 40°F (4°C), which is a fifty degree improvement over last week! It has been warm for the last 3-4 days at around 30°F daytime temps.
We've had a above average snow season, but warmer than average temperture wise. I was hoping it wouldn't snow anymore so I wouldn't have to shovel the roof, but with the last snowfall, it had to be done. One window is nearly covered to the top!
I'm thinking it's going to be a early spring, as our temps in recent years have been consistently above average.

Back
Top Bottom