What's up with all the slow-moving meteorites I keep seeing lately

JayMark said:
The only thing I wanted to point out about those "wild guesses" is that they lack explanation. I just wanted to know why you think any of those possibilities might be true. In other words, I want to know about what made you think of these possibilities. Not implying that they are wrong per se. You follow me here? My intention is to be objective here. Not to slap you or anybody in the face.

Yes,I am following you :) And you are right, and everyone else who pointed that out to me recently. I understand I have the habit of making wild explanations that are nothing else, but subjective, and even though some were meant as jokes(but poorly presented as well, if I may add) , that kind of thinking and communication is restricting, it blocks the free flow of energy and interaction.
I am currently at the process of cleaning my machine of this thought patterns, and it isn't pleasent but that might suggest that is working. It is process of intentional/conscious suffering and struggle with 'it', and it probably added to me falsely perceiving your post as an attack.

JayMark said:
Now about the joke thing, granted I didn't understand it was one and I'm sorry for that. What you described reminded me of what we call "superluminal motion" hence why I took it seriously. There is nothing wrong with these kind of jokes as far as I'm concerned. I just didn't "get it". :P

No need to apologize, if was my mistake. If I'm going to add jokes it's my responsibility to make them in the way that everyone can understand the meaning and that it's a joke.

I'm becoming concerned that something is wrong with me cause I can't tell what is the cause of what might appear(to me)as repeated attacks on me

JayMark said:
See, this is the sort of thing I've been trying to tell you. When you say that alone, you are just lacking objectivity. Why? Because we can't see why you think so. Before making an assumption like this, you should care to explain why you feel it might be an 'attack'. Do you feel threatened? Do you feel 'bad' when it happens?

That was 'it' talking and self pity thought patterns :-[

JayMark said:
See, I'm simply asking for clarifications. Not trying to bash you.

I see.When I wrote that the UFO might be playing with my head it was pure assumption.Important thing is that I see it now and am willing to work on it.

I'm simply sharing my experience as I saw it happened,and since I received,on my part much needed ''slapping'', I realized that on this forum I should leave my opinions out of the picture, but is it wrong to insert few jokes now and then? Please,tell me where is the problem now and I'll do my best to fix it. Thank you

JayMark said:
Your opinion is important. I'm just trying to help you being more objective. There is no "problem" at all to my eyes. I'm just giving my own opinion and asking for clarification.

So far you have pointed out theories and I just wish you could elaborate on them so we get a better picture as well. Why you think it could be an alien craft? Why do you think it could be an attack? Etc.

Peace.

I understand. Next time I'll clarify what I write. Need to go now. Big thanks to you for taking the time to help me :)

cholas said:
Serendipity, fwiw I'd go for the binocular gift. Or a telescope.......A good camera would be useful to share your experiences too.

I wish I had a good camera so I can show what I keep seeing for all of you to see. I am definitely getting binoculars. It might be usefull for other things other then watching UFOs in the future .

Serendipity said:
I understand. Next time I'll clarify what I write. Need to go now. Big thanks to you for taking the time to help me :)

No problem.

And I also want to apologize because I realise now I may have not expressed myself in the best manner. I even thought about it yesterday at home and felt bad.

Anyhow what is done is done and the only thing I can do now is to contemplate it, get the lesson and apply it.

cholas said:
Hi JayMark. No point in getting hung up on the usage of the abbreviation UFO.

You are right. When I mentionned UFO I had 'non-natural phenomenon' (not of natural cause) in head but you are right, as long as we don't know what it is, of course it's an Unidentified Flying Object.

Sorry again. Anyhow, so far all theories proposed here could be true to my eyes. The point I was trying to make was that we shouldn't focus on one explanation.

As a matter of fact, yesterday while watching the sky and Cassiopaea (the constellation) I thought about strange lights I have seen in the past. What caught my attention in your posts Serendipity is this:

About that UFO, it showed up again last night. In 4 last times that I went out, I saw it on 3 of those nights, and only didn't saw it one time when I spent less then 30 minutes out.It is always the same pattern.It has erratical movement and in the end it stops still in the sky looking like a star.I watched the sky for 20 minutes then it appeared(dot of light) and I saw by the way it was moving that it is the same or similar UFO that I saw before.

It then moved erratically,meandered, stopped and turned back, before it completely stopped after only 5 minutes of movement,and it appeared as just a star on the sky.

This time I noticed those barely visible tiny specks of light around the bigger light,but only while it was moving.The specks were moving fast and in unusual manner around the central light,and sometimes they would get separated and moved further away,then back again or the big light would go to them.

It struck me yesterday at night because I have seen a very similar thing in autumn 2008. I thought I was going nuts but a few of us have seen them too. Since then I had concluded it was probably just an optical illusion but seeing that post revived the memory.

It happened in the area of Saint-Jérôme, Québec province.

A lot of UFO activity has been reported as well especially in L'Annonciation (where my grand-mother happens to live). Note that Saint-Jérôme and L'Annonciation are both in the Laurentides (mountains) about 100-150 km appart.

There is even a youtube video and some articles about an alien body (gray) that was supposedly found in snow in this area. Now it might just be a hoax, I don't put too much faith in it but it makes me wonder and here is why. The weirdest thing is that well before I got aware of that, I had heard about one of my uncle's friend (who also lives there) who says he had been aducted by aliens. Since then he had never been the same.

Also, actually after hearing about the guy's tale but well before seeing the youtube media and articles, I went there for a trip to see my grandma and at night I saw 'weird lights' (kind of like you mentionned) in the sky. All of a sudden, everything went 'dead quiet'. Very unusual for a house in the woods. Dogs got terrified for no apparent reason (they never do, they will hunt any prey that usually venture on the property located in the woods) and slowly went inside the house, tail between the legs. Nothing else happened but I got an little uneasy to say the least.

Anyhow, let's see where we go with this. Weirdness on the way!

Peace.

JayMark said:
And I also want to apologize because I realise now I may have not expressed myself in the best manner. I even thought about it yesterday at home and felt bad.

Anyhow what is done is done and the only thing I can do now is to contemplate it, get the lesson and apply it.

Apology accepted :D And, I agree it's important to look at every experience as a lesson. After all, all there is is lessons!

JayMark said:
Sorry again. Anyhow, so far all theories proposed here could be true to my eyes. The point I was trying to make was that we shouldn't focus on one explanation.

No harm done, exactly the opposite. Even if it wasn't your conscious intention to come out like that, your posts were the push I needed to question my thinking even harder.
Coming to understand how true, ''all there is a lesson'' is. :)

JayMark said:
It struck me yesterday at night because I have seen a very similar thing in autumn 2008. I thought I was going nuts but a few of us have seen them too. Since then I had concluded it was probably just an optical illusion but seeing that post revived the memory.

It happened in the area of Saint-Jérôme, Québec province.

A lot of UFO activity has been reported as well especially in L'Annonciation (where my grand-mother happens to live). Note that Saint-Jérôme and L'Annonciation are both in the Laurentides (mountains) about 100-150 km appart.

There is even a youtube video and some articles about an alien body (gray) that was supposedly found in snow in this area. Now it might just be a hoax, I don't put too much faith in it but it makes me wonder and here is why. The weirdest thing is that well before I got aware of that, I had heard about one of my uncle's friend (who also lives there) who says he had been aducted by aliens. Since then he had never been the same.

Also, actually after hearing about the guy's tale but well before seeing the youtube media and articles, I went there for a trip to see my grandma and at night I saw 'weird lights' (kind of like you mentionned) in the sky. All of a sudden, everything went 'dead quiet'. Very unusual for a house in the woods. Dogs got terrified for no apparent reason (they never do, they will hunt any prey that usually venture on the property located in the woods) and slowly went inside the house, tail between the legs. Nothing else happened but I got an little uneasy to say the least.

Anyhow, let's see where we go with this. Weirdness on the way!

Peace.

JayMark, your story is weird indeed. But I don't know what to make of it, so I wont even try(without more info),in accordance to lessons recently learned.
Leave it open, let it flow, leave yourself out of the picture.

I guess, we'll have to wait and see. Like you said, weirdness on the way!

I was out last night again and haven't seen the UFO this time.

But I did see, the phenomenon I wrote about when making this thread,and this time only facts, leaving subjectivity out of the picture.

It was quite bright light(brightness level like Jupiter) that seemed to appeared out of nowhere. It moved slowly, but in straight direction, and this time only after few seconds it went out, becoming ''extinguished''.

Someone said it could be something like this:
It could be space station or satelite moving around Earth, and coming in such a position to reflect sunlight for short period of time, and then moving out of that position to appear as if it was extinguished.

This explanation makes sense, and if it is true it probably involves similar mechanism as the one that is responsible for Moon phases.

Serendipity said:
JayMark, your story is weird indeed. But I don't know what to make of it, so I wont even try(without more info),in accordance to lessons recently learned.
Leave it open, let it flow, leave yourself out of the picture.

I guess, we'll have to wait and see. Like you said, weirdness on the way!

I'll get back into that old story and tryto dig infos.

I'll post them once it's done.

Peace.

Found this post / this thread / this forum after running a Google search for "slow moving meteors". As to the reason for that search, I'd previously been to a meteor reporting website -- also found via a Google search -- but discovered there was no point in me filing anything because my description didn't tally with anything the site recognized. So-oo. . .

My wife and I are in our mid-60s and our days of heading out to party on New Year's Eve have long gone. No regrets. Was fun while it lasted. Me, I can't even be bothered to stay up until midnight, but my wife always does: feminine stamina, or some such. This year -- or rather last year, December 31st, 2012 -- was pretty much the same as usual: I went to bed with a book at 10.30pm, she stayed in the lounge, watching a BBC TV welcome-in-the-New-Year show.

Before I quit the TV festivities to go read that book, she warned me that it would be pointless to go to sleep, seeing as how there's always a New Year fireworks party somewhere near to us, even though we've never known precisely where. Anyway. There'd be a lot of bangs and wheeeees and sleep-busting pyrotechnics, and she wasn't going to head to bed and fall asleep only to be awoken again.

We live in northwest England, about 30 miles from the west coast and the Irish Sea. We're on the fringe of The Lake District. We're not in a city but a semi-rural environment, a city suburb but pretty pastoral even so. The rear of our property faces North. Our bedroom faces North. Our upstairs lounge, however, is at the front of the property and faces South.

So much for the stats.

I read my book for maybe a half hour or so then fell asleep. At midnight, the predicted whizzes and bangs woke me up. I lay there for a few minutes then decided, I'd wander into the lounge, see what my wife was watching on TV: there was bound to be a live newscast from London, where they really know how to burn money in the game of playing Capital Cities.

But when I went into the lounge, the TV was off and all the lights were off and my wife was gazing up at the sky. There was a roughly three-quarter moon, slightly veiled by a cloud haze, but otherwise the night sky was fairly clear to view. My wife said she'd turned off the TV at midnight because she'd wanted to watch the neighbourhood fireworks -- which had actually started before midnight, and, by the time I arrived, were finished and done with.

She said it was a shame I'd missed them, because after the display had finished, there'd been nothing for a couple of minutes or so and then they';d started sending up the prettiest fireworks she'd ever seen: small red balls of light that tracked slowly across the sky, moving from her right to her left. And "slowly" was the key word here: they took "a long time" to transit past our window.

I know little if anything about fireworks and still less, about astronomy, but I do know that fireworks don't actually go skywards and then make a left or right turn and continue on, high in the sky and parallel to the ground. Gravity tends to have a bearing on their behaviour -- that, and the amount of combustible material available.

No, my wife said. They definitely were. . . Fireworks. They weren't comets or shooting stars. They were single glowing red lights. She'd seen four or five of them tracking past her, the glow being the "burning bit" at the end of each firework. Then, a few moments later, there'd been two or three, one after another, travelling yet again at a really slooooo-oooow speed and separated either by height or distance or both.

Significantly though: she'd never seen the fireworks actually going up into the sky. And definitely never saw them fall. There was no climactic explosion, so fiery descent of firework fragments. They just. . . sailed. . . slowly by and then quickly, though not ultra-rapidly, faded out.

We don't live anywhere near an airport. Or a military base. Or in the track of air force night flights -- of which there aren't any, anyway. Not around here. The likelihood of a squadron of military aircraft coming past in the opening minutes of New Year's Day was, and is, unbelievable. We know enough about how the military works to know that it doesn't send over-flights up at the peak moment of a national holiday. Light aircraft, perhaps? Again: no. Civil aviation night flight rules notwithstanding, one would be hard pushed to get a host of Cessnas and Pipers up into the air. Big commercial jets? Well, we've flown enough of those in our time to know they don't have a single, fixed, unblinking red tail or wing or nose beacon.

Ah well. Neither my wife nor I are, er, imaginative. And we wouldn't know 'fanciful' if we fell over it. If, as she said, she had seen very slow-=moving unblinking red lights going from West to East in the night sky, then, um, she definitely did. And -- as far as I was concerned -- if she didn't see those lights ascending, or descending, or exploding, then either they were fireworks or, um. . . Meteors. Small meteors. Because I thought, that's what a meteor would look like, never having encountered one myself.

My wife decided to turn in but I was wide awake now so went up another floor to the very top of our home and switched on the computer. I figured I'd Google to see if there were any reports of an expected meteor storm, or whatever it's called, over Northern Britain in the opening moments of 2013. My computer acts as if it's of an even greater age than I am, so getting it up and running takes a small eternity.

I figured, I'd turn off the study light, open the window wide, and look out to see if there was any sign of a late-arriving meteor. Just on the off-chance. Because I'd clearly missed out on seeing. . . Something.

Looking to my left, I immediately saw, on the Western horizon, a. . . red light in the sky. Small but steady. Distinctive, yet devoid of any other attribute: no tail, no other coloration. The redness was that of a hot cinder. A small hot cinder in the sky.

And it was moving, albeit almost imperceptibly, in my direction.

I watched its onward progress for another 10 seconds or sol, then went back down the stairs, into our bedroom, and told my wife that another "firework" was on its way. She hadn't had time to go to sleep, so she joined me at the bedroom window as I folded back the drapes and then tugged at the cord of the blinds to send them all the way up. I'd guess at least -- at least -- 30 seconds had elapsed since I'd first seen "my" firework.

With the window open -- we were listening out for an aircraft engine -- we watched the glowing red cinder drawing ever nearer. Moving sloooowly and steadily and absolutely dead level with the ground. How high it was, I've no idea: we had no reference point with which to calibrate that. How slow or how fast, equally: no idea -- perception of speed relates to distance, as far as I'm aware. All we knew -- both of us: two ordinary unimaginative and tediously pragmatic individuals -- was that a red light (which my wife said was identical in aspect and motion to all the other "fireworks" she'd recently seen) was transiting from West to East and above us in the sky and level with the ground. No illusion. No mistake. And definitely: no noise.

Like a couple of spectators at a tennis game, our heads swung slowly from left to right until we could no longer see our "firework". The red cinder was there and then it. . . dwindled. And then it was gone.

Nothing in my Internet searches later that same New Year's Day matched anything we'd seen. We learned all about a Quantid shower (or something) but that wasn't forecast until January 3rd and anyway, it seemed to be for the viewing pleasure of skywatchers on the USA east coast, not for folks living near England's west coast.

Subsequently, we've checked the local newspapers but there are no reports of anyone seeing anything unusual. Or else they may have thought they just saw some slow-moving, er, fireworks. Finally, a Google search took me to that meteor-spotting website I mentioned earlier, but when I got to the stage of actually filling in a report form, the website said, in effect, that slow moving meteors don;t exist so please don't report any such sighting here.

Thus it was that typing in "slow moving meteors" brought me to this thread.

What my wife and I saw is so uncannily like that which Serendipity has witnessed that, in fairness to Serendipity, we thought we'd add our own account here.

It may not take this issue much further. But so long as Serendipity realizes that he / she isn't alone, that suits us. We didn't see (a) aircraft (b) balloons (c) fireworks (d) satellites (e) shooting stars or, as now seems to be the case, (f) "slow moving meteors". We did, however, definitely and absolutely see. . . Something. Just wish we knew what it was -- or, in my wife's case, what all of them were: more than a week later, we're still frustrated at not knowing. . .

Ordinaire said:
It may not take this issue much further. But so long as Serendipity realizes that he / she isn't alone, that suits us. We didn't see (a) aircraft (b) balloons (c) fireworks (d) satellites (e) shooting stars or, as now seems to be the case, (f) "slow moving meteors". We did, however, definitely and absolutely see. . . Something. Just wish we knew what it was -- or, in my wife's case, what all of them were: more than a week later, we're still frustrated at not knowing. . .

An interesting story Ordinaire. While what you say could have been some aspect of a meteorite/cometary fragment (which CAN be slow moving and do many other strange things to boot!) you might also want to consider that it could have been a "UFO", which isn't exactly a precise description but does get you into a slightly different ballpark.

Ordinaire said:
What my wife and I saw is so uncannily like that which Serendipity has witnessed that, in fairness to Serendipity, we thought we'd add our own account here.

Hi Ordinaire. Thank you for sharing what you've witnessed. It really does sound similar to what I've been seeing few months ago. Now I can finally be at rest knowing that I'm not crazy :P

Joking aside. I already described that I was seeing red and yellow dots of light that were bright as Venus and moved slowly across the sky without changing direction, until they faded and went out over few seconds period. I don't know what that was and unlike before I don't assume what it might have been because it could have been anything, until proved something.

But if I had to say what I think it probably was, I'd say satellites or space stations that orbit the Earth. Maybe they sometimes move into some 'special' position in relation to Sun, Earth and/or Moon and reflect the light thus appearing bright for period of time, before moving out of that position.

I haven't seen any of those for months, even though I saw them frequently during those few weeks, and it could have something to do with that 'special' position or relation to Sun, Earth and/or Moon if they were satellites and/or space stations. But it could have been something else, who knows.

Also, during the same period I've been seeing those, I saw something what can only be described as UFO. I saw it on four different nights. It was light that moved weirdly and changed direction countless times, even following planes. Last time I saw it, it went behind the hill and I've not seen it since.

There are many things in world that we can't explain but that doesn't have to stop us from asking questions. That's how learning starts and learning is fun. Welcome to the forum :)

I am wondering, just to rule it out, if what you have seen were Chinese Lanterns? Since it was New Year's Eve, there could have been some people setting these off. There have been instances of these things being confused with UFOs. They are also the first thing that skeptics list when "real" UFOs are seen as glowing red or orange lights floating across the sky.

Here's a video showing how to light a lantern to give you an idea of what they look like.

Serendipity: nope, you're definitely not crazy!

Nienna Eluch: my wife and I truly cannot thank you enough for that -- and the video link (which in turn led us to several other lantern vids on YouTube.) We feel pretty certain that your hypothesis is spot on: the lights did 'float', rather than hurtle across the sky. Couple that with the timing of the sightings and I reckon that's it: Chinese Lanterns. Mrs O and I would never, ever have thought of that because we've only heard -- vaguely -- about this type of object hitherto. Sincere thanks again then: I think we can feasibly mark this as mystery solved! :)

Ordinaire said:
Nienna Eluch: my wife and I truly cannot thank you enough for that -- and the video link (which in turn led us to several other lantern vids on YouTube.) We feel pretty certain that your hypothesis is spot on: the lights did 'float', rather than hurtle across the sky. Couple that with the timing of the sightings and I reckon that's it: Chinese Lanterns. Mrs O and I would never, ever have thought of that because we've only heard -- vaguely -- about this type of object hitherto. Sincere thanks again then: I think we can feasibly mark this as mystery solved! :)

You are welcome and glad I could help. :)

Back
Top Bottom