Julius Caesar and Mithraism

Last night I was thinking about this whole Tauroctony scene depiction and it is a problem. As I noted, Ulansey thinks that it was holding the great secret of Mithraism, i.e. precession and basically, the creator of the image was just using the principles of precession to sort of show off his knowledge via running the images backward in time. I think it depicts a date and that date appears to coincide with important information about what happened on or around that time.

I think that the "great secret is precession" idea is nonsensical. Yes, it is an interesting astronomical fact to any astronomer, but to the average person, who really cares about something that happens over such vast time periods? Does it have any notable effect on the life of anyone? No. Would it be likely to impress a bunch of army guys in those times? Would they think that they could DO anything with this knowledge? No.

As for my own idea, that it depicts a particular date and that date matches a date that I arrived at via a different process, what can be said? That IS interesting mainly because said date coincides with scientific evidence for catastrophe. But again, the same questions can be asked. Would the average person of the time even care? Does the knowledge have any effect on a person's life? Can anything be done with this knowledge? The answer to these questions would seem to be "no", again.

And yet, there it is: clearly depicting a date in conjunction with the text from Diodorus, and matching a catastrophic event of some sort.

One of the problematic things about the Tauroctony is the fact that it depicts everything in reverse, like the Farnese Globe. That is, it depicts the sky from OUTSIDE, or as though the observer were looking down from high above, beyond the stars, a perspective that could be said to belong to God or the angels.

So, this morning, I spent a little time looking into the Farnese globe to try to understand this perspective. We read on Wikipedia:

Atlas labors under the weight because he had been sentenced by Zeus to hold up the sky. The sphere shows a depiction of the night sky as seen from outside the outermost celestial sphere, with low reliefs depicting 41 (some sources say 42) of the 48 classical Greek constellations distinguished by Ptolemy, including Aries the ram, Cygnus the swan and Hercules the hero.

It seems to be implied that the perspective is due to the fact that the viewer is in the position of Zeus observing Atlas holding up the night sky. Now, it seems that anyone hearing the Zeus condemned Atlas to this function, that one would immediately imagine Atlas standing on the top of a high mountain with some point of the sky resting on his shoulders from the INSIDE. But the artist who created the Farnese globe did not attempt such a representation: instead, he created a sort of marble metaphor: the night sky is shown in toto, all the way around, as a celestial sphere that surrounds the earth, and Atlas is outside of it along with Zeus and whoever else is observing the poor guy and his eternal burden.

Okay, I think we can get that.

But what do we know about the artist and his inspiration?

I found a couple of things of interest. First of all, a guy named Bradley Schaeffer worked on identifying the inspiration and date of the Farnese globe here: https://www.phys.lsu.edu/farnese/JHAFarneseProofs.pdf His paper resulted in a news item on Space.com here: Long Lost Star Catalog Found in Plain Sight

However, not everyone was happy with what Schaeffer wrote and Dennis Rawlins pointed out all the discrepancies here: https://people.sc.fsu.edu/~dduke/farnese4.pdf (Scroll all the way to the end for some good images) Rawlins apparently got pretty disgusted with the whole thing and posted a couple of additional articles online about it here: Farnese Atlas Celestial Globe and here: Farnese Celestial Globe: Krates' Galactic-Circle Remnant?

Anyway, Rawlins concluded:

Summary
Schaefer certainly deserves credit for undertaking a new investigation of the Farnese
globe, but in contrast to what he claims, his work does not prove that Hipparchus is the
source of the constellation data on the Farnese globe. First, the true uncertainty of the
date of the astronomical data on the globe is at least ±200 yrs. Second a convincing proof
would have to provide clear positive links between what we know about Hipparchus’
data and what we see on the globe, and that evidence is not in the paper. In fact, there are
many points of disagreement between the Commentary and the globe, as well as many
points of agreement. Even if Hipparchus is not the source, if the real source is basing his
data on the sky, and if that source is reasonably competent (at the 2° level), then of course
we would expect many points of agreement, and these points would indicate no particular
source. But the points of disagreement between Hipparchus’ data and the globe are more
than enough to establish that it is highly unlikely that a proof of Hipparchus as source can
ever be convincing.

Now, it seems to me that the Tauroctony was based, in part, on the Farnese globe, or at least on something similar: a depiction of the night sky from outside.

Yes, Ulansey makes note of this and proposes that this is supposed to clue us in that it is a "Hypercosmic" view of things because, of course, the Mithraic initiate is gifted with godly insight and perspective doncha know? And that initiate is going to know that what he is seeing in the Tauroctony IS, in fact, the view of God and be mightily impressed. Just think about it: all those Roman soldiers who were part of the cult, heck, think of all the pirates who Pompey convinced to become farmers (that's another issue, but not for now), all looked up at the night sky, were easily able to identify all those constellations, and just KNEW that their initiation gave them a superior view from the outside, just like some hypercosmic being, i.e. Mithras.

I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

Yes, I can buy the idea that the Farnese globe was created as it was as a metaphor, but there was a reason for that: the story needed a metaphoric description.

But the Tauroctony being created as it was, i.e. backwards, in order to suggest a "hypercosmic view" - nope, I don't think that's a very good explanation. I think a better one is that the Farnese globe, or something similar to it, was used as a model for the Tauroctony. And possibly, the creator of the Tauroctony did not realize that the constellations were backward.

But that still leaves us with the problem of the date depicted by the Tauroctony. Let's review here:

The suggestion that the celestial equator was the line to be followed attracted the intrepid Ulansey who began to study the problem. He noted that all of the figures, excepting the lion, are matched by constellations through which the celestial equator passes on or below the ecliptic when the spring equinox was in Taurus. And directly above the constellation of the bull, at the time of the Taurus-equinox, the celestial equator passed through the constellation Perseus. He then points out that, in the Phaenomena of Aratos, following the star maps of Eudoxus, it was said that the Pleiades are located near the left knee of Perseus.[1] In the tauroctony, the left knee of Perseus is not far from the position where the dagger is shown entering the bull’s shoulder, and it is precisely at that point, in the constellation of the bull, that the Pleiades are located. Ulansey asks: “Is it just coincidence that the left knee of Mithras is always shown in an exaggerated fashion pointing to just this spot, as if in illustration of Aratos’ description?”[2]

Ulansey then goes on to show that it is Perseus that is represented by Mithras based on several unique features of representation, including the fact that he is always, always, shown killing the bull while looking away from it, exactly as Perseus did when killing the gorgon, Medusa. More than that, the constellation Perseus just happens to be right above Taurus in the sky. However, we must note that Aratos’ description of Perseus in relation to Taurus is contradicted by every other representation known. So this, naturally, caught Ulansey’s attention; there was a mystery here and he began to tug on the dangling thread.

[1] Phaenomena 254.
[2] Ulansey, p. 57.
-------------------
Ulansey’s point: there is a definite relationship between Mithras and Perseus but it was only from the time of Herodotus that Perseus was thought to be associated with Persia at all. In the fifth century BC, the Greek poet, Pindar, wrote of Perseus’s encounter with Medusa as happening in Hyperborea – assumed to be ancient Britain – where Stonehenge was known as “Giant’s dance”.

Mithras is always portrayed wearing what is known as a Phrygian cap and Perseus has a “cap of invisibility” given to him to enable him to slay the gorgon. In quite a number of ancient depictions, this cap is depicted as an Phrygian cap. Phrygia has been identified as a kingdom located in the west central part of Anatolia in what is now modern-day Turkey. The Phrygians were most famous for their legendary kings such as Gordias and his knot, Midas and his gold, Mygdon who made war with the Amazons, not to mention their close alliance with the Trojans against the Achaeans!

The Iliad describes the homeland of the Phrygians on the Sangarius River, which would remain the center of Phrygia throughout its history. According to the Iliad, Phrygia was famous for its wine and had "brave and expert" horsemen. The Phrygians were Indo-Europeans who, according to ancient tradition, migrated to Anatolia from the Balkans. Recent theories propose that they made this migration at the time of the collapse of the Bronze Age (or just after), filling the political vacuum left by the depopulated Hittites. (Another theory is that they were part of the Hittite Empire before it fell and just survived and took over the area.)

The earliest preserved literary reference to the Mithraic mysteries is a line from the 1st century Thebaid by Statius, which says: “Persei sub rupibus antri indignata Sequi torquentem cornua Mithram.” This has been translated to say: “Mithras twisting the unruly horns beneath the rocks of a Persian cave.” This was taken to imply the Persian origin of the cult. However, the translation has been corrected by scholars to: “Mithras twisting the unruly horns beneath the rocks of the cave of Perseus[1] which removes the Persian connection.

[1] Ulansey (1989) p. 29.
-----------------------------
The much later Byzantine historian, Georgius Cedrenos,[1] wrote:

Perseus, they say, brought to Persia initiation and magic, which by his secrets made the fire of the sky descend; with the aid of this art, he brought the celestial fire to the earth, and he had it preserved in a temple under the name of the sacred immortal fire; he chose virtuous men as ministers of a new cult, and established the Magi as the depositors and guardians of this fire which they were charged to protect.[2]

Even though information about Cedrenos and his sources seems to be at a premium, I am intrigued by his connection of the rites of Perseus to “fire from heaven”. Where in the world did he get that?

[1] 12th century Byzantine court historian about whom I can get almost no information at all about what possible sources he used.
[2] _1100-1200- Georgius Cedrenus\ - Operum Omnium Conspectus seu 'Index of available Writings' cited by Ulansey, p. 30.
----------------------
Ulansey suggests that the snake-entwined leontocephalic (Lion headed) god is iconographically similar to Medusa of the snake hair. Indeed, this is a likely comparison since we are talking about comets that were often likened to snakes or dragons. He also notices the similarity to Huwawa/Humbaba. He then compares the image of Medusa from a 6th century BC Attic vase painting to the lion-headed god.

Continuing to pull on the thread, Ulansey cites the evidence from antiquity that the city of Tarsus was said to have been founded by Perseus and was named after his “swift tarsos” or foot. Coins from the city show Perseus often in association with Apollo Lykeios. This Apollo is a particular artistic representation of the god leaning on a support with his bow in his left hand and his right forearm resting on his head as if having just completed a long and difficult task.

Just as Perseus is associated with Apollo, so is Mithras closely associated with the Sun and in Mithraism, the sun is active, playing a part in the tauroctony, the sacred feast, and the ascent to heaven. Another important symbol from the coins of that locale is that of a lion attacking a bull with Perseus standing in the foreground holding his curved knife. As some scholars have suggested, it is the lion-bull combat which eventually morphed into the tauroctony scene, perhaps passing through other stages such as Perseus and the Gorgon, before becoming Perseus disguised as Mithras replacing the lion slaying the bull

Porphyry wrote that the mithraeum functioned as the place of initiation into a mystery of the “descent and exit of souls” and that it was designed and equipped for this purpose as a “likeness of the universe. The things which the cave contained, by their proportionate arrangement, provided [the] symbols of the elements and climates of the cosmos.[1]

[1] De antro nympharum 6, trans. Arethusa edition. Cited by Roger Beck (2000) Ritual, Mythi, Doctrine, and Initiation in the Mysteries of Mithras: New Evidence from a Cult Vessel in The Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 90, pp. 145-180.
--------------------------
Ulansey conjectures that the influence of Aratus in Tarsus may have led to the emphasis on astrology within the Stoic movement. It could very well be that it was from Eudoxus’ 3000 year old astronomical knowledge, combined with the works of Pherecydes and Pythagorus, that the tauroctony of the Mithraic Mysteries derived. But there is more to it than that: in case you didn’t notice, the figures in the tauroctony are reversed from the way they actually appear in the sky. Ulansey proposes:

…on ancient (and modern) star-globes (like the famous ancient “Atlas Farnese” globe) Taurus is always depicted facing to the right exactly like the bull in the tauroctony. This shows that the Mithraic bull is meant to represent the constellation Taurus as seen from outside the cosmos, i.e. from the “hypercosmic” perspective…[1]

Yet we know, for a certainty, that the particular time is important, as I said, from my own arrival at that date via a different path, as well as Ulansey’s interpretation of the equinoxes being delimited via the figures Cautes and Cautopates.

[1] David Ulansey (19914) Mithras and the Hypercosmic Sun, in Studies in Mithraism, John R. Hinnels, ed., Rome.
-------------------------
We’ve already learned that Plutarch traced the origin of the Cult of Mithras to Cilician pirates, and Ulansey has revealed that the city of Tarsus there was devoted to Perseus and that there are coins and other artifacts to confirm the relationship. He bases his argument on the fact that there are three kinds of evidence: 1) astronomical consisting in the fact that Perseus occupies a position in the sky analogous to the position of Mithras vis a vis the bull he is slaying. 2) the striking iconographical and mythological parallels between the two figures; 3) the historical and geographical evidence linking the origins of the cult to Cilicia, the site of the Perseus cult.

What troubles me is the lack of evidence that the Mysteries of Mithras were significant in the Eastern areas surrounding the proposed birthplace. As we have already noted, the concentration of archaeological finds are focused mainly on Germany, Pannonia and Italy. We have also noted in passing, the presence of a lion-headed god figure in Germany back in Paleolithic times, though we can’t propose a connection over that vast a period of time.

Ulansey continues his interpretation rather promisingly by saying “since it was astronomical considerations which led us to connect Mithras and Perseus in the first place, it stands to reason that the origins and meaning of that connection must be sought in the context of Mithraic astronomical symbolism.”[1] He then begins to build his argument on the ideas of Beck and Insler, that the constellations represented in the tauroctony are those along the ecliptic at the time of the setting of Taurus in the Spring, that is a sky map that represents how the sky looked at a particular time which the Mithraists wished to commemorate. However, it was apparent that the constellations don’t exactly match up with the zodiac which lie along the ecliptic.

The next idea presented by Ulansey is that of Michael Speidel who argued that the constellations depicted are the ones along the celestial equator rather than the ecliptic. That actually worked. The problem there is that, during Graeco-Roman times, Aries and Libra marked the equinoxes – the points where the celestial equator and the ecliptic cross in spring and autumn - and were thus the two most important equatorial constellations; yet they are not indicated at all, in any way, in the tauroctony. Nevertheless, Ulansey’s realized that the particular constellations would fit exactly if you move the clock back to the time when the equinoxes were in Taurus and Scorpio. Here is a small version of Ulansey’s star map showing the result of doing just that.
1661064293296.png

[1] Ulansey, op. cit., p. 45.
---------------------------------------
As you see, Perseus, in the upper right, is just above the celestial equator at this moment. Looking at this image for a bit, and playing with the Starry Night program to get the one on my screen to match it revealed that this map shows the spring sky just before dawn about 3000 BC at a latitude of about 43° N. That date got my attention because in my book, Secret History, I had proposed a similar date for an event involving the constellation, Taurus, though I had arrived at it from a very different angle following very different clues. The convergence of the result of these two paths was quite startling. Before I compare the two, let’s just continue with Ulansey’s argument.

Ulansey was able to figure out the clues because he knew about the precession of the zodiac so he wondered if the tauroctony scene really did exhibit knowledge of the precession? As he demonstrates, the celestial equator, rather than the ecliptic reveals exactly the series of figures contained within the tauroctony with Taurus at the setting end and Scorpius rising in the east, and the two of them framing Canis Minor, Hydra, Crater, and Corvus: the dog, the serpent, the cup and the raven. So, our intrepid researcher followed the clue of the celestial equator.

What is clear, however, as Ulansey has demonstrated, is that the tauroctony reveals the equinoxes in Taurus and Scorpio, long before they entered Aries over 4000 years ago, and then Pisces, over 2000 years ago; the evidence is contained in a figure recorded in Jozef Vermaseren’s monumental work: Corpus Inscriptionum et Monumentorum Religionis Mithriacae AKA CIMRM.[1] In the image in question, reproduced below, what is obviously being emphasized are the torchbearers who are depicted in nearly all Mithraic tauroctony scenes as well as in the birth scenes of Mithras. Their names are known from inscriptions as Cautes and Cautopates. Cautes carries his torch point up (and is usually associated with the birth scenes) and Cautopates carries his torch pointed down. They also wear Phrygian caps and have their legs crossed.

[1] A two volume collection of inscriptions and monuments relating primarily to the Mithraic Mysteries published at the Hague by Martinus Nijhoff, 1956, 1960
---------------------------
If you examine the scene carefully, you will see that the tree on the right has Cautes’ raised torch and a bull’s head next to it; that tree is in early leaf, as if it is spring. The tree on the left has the lowered torch and a scorpion and the tree is full of fruit, emphasizing harvest season. So it is clear what is being said: the torch bearers with their crossed legs delimit the equinoxes at Taurus and Scorpio.

1661064452147.png

Putting the torchbearers as equinoxes together with the creatures depicted in the scene, confirms Ulansey’s idea that the tauroctony is an image of constellations along the celestial equator at a particular moment in time. He must have also realized that the only period in time when this could have been the image of the night sky just before dawn was over 5000 years ago!

He next seeks out the clues regarding who knew about precession, and when, and comes across the interesting fact that the discoverer was associated with the Stoic philosophical school, and that Tarsus, where the Perseus cult was thriving, was a veritable hothouse of Stoics. More than that, the whole scenario of connections just happens to coincide with the time period that Plutarch assigns to the emergence of the Mithras-worshipping pirates. That, of course, is what led him to his idea: that the important thing being conveyed in the tauroctony was the fact that the equinoxes precess, that this was the “great secret”, a new and worshipful cosmic force: the Dreaded Precession! He argues that:

…the god Mithras originated as the personification of the force responsible for the newly discovered cosmic phenomenon of the precession of the equinoxes. Since from the geocentric perspective the precession appears to be a movement of the entire cosmic sphere, the force responsible for it most likely would have been understood as being “hypercosmic,” beyond or outside of the cosmos…. Mithras, as a result of his being imagined as a hypercosmic entity, became identified with the Platonic “hypercosmic sun,” thus opening up the way for the puzzling existence of two “suns” in Mithraic ideology.[1]

[1] David Ulansey (1994) Mithras and the Hypercosmic Sun; Studies in Mithraism, John R. Hinnels, ed. L’Erma di Brettshneider, Rome, pp. 257-64.
-----------------------------
First of all, just because a scene depicts a specific moment in time over 5000 years ago, does not mean it is a projection backward by someone who figured out precession of the equinoxes. But if it were merely a re-working of more ancient material, where are the antecedents that would suggest the things that have been included in the scene? They could have existed at the time, of course, since so much has been lost. What is most interesting about the tauroctony is how it incorporates elements from a wide variety of what appear to have been Mesopotamian myths. It’s like a hybrid determined to not be misunderstood and I suspect that there was a very serious reason for this because, certainly, there was no need to create a mystery religion around precession. The knowledge about precession was not being hidden and there is no reason that it could not be openly discussed in the various philosophical schools that existed at the time. What is more, the idea that it is focused on a “hypercosmic sun” is way too Platonic and not enough Stoical to pass muster.

But still, there is the fact that whoever came up with this hybrid mystery cult most certainly did intend for the information about the equinoxes to carry weight and, more than anything else, that suggests that it was recording an event of extreme importance, a date.
Because, in point of fact, that was what the Babylonians used “astrology” for in the beginning: as a means of recording time. So, my suggestion is that someone had access to certain information gained from studying ancient texts. That information was supplemented by the discovery that the equinox precesses. Perhaps understanding of precession enabled that person to figure out something very important from those texts, including a date. Were they then able, utilizing their knowledge of astronomy, able to re-create the night sky in images by precessing the sky map?
Another question that this raises is: did the person who figured out the code from more ancient sources also figure out that such an event was in the future and was the tauroctony not just a record of the past, but a warning for the future? That sort of thing would truly be worthy of creating a new mystery religion. But that is just speculation.

So the question for us here is this: if the tauroctony of the Mithraic Mysteries was a record of a cataclysmic event – the very event that I dated in Secret History via a different pathway - did the person or persons who either created or modified and propagated this cult know about the event in any detail?

The reader may want to quickly review the material presented in the previous volume of Secret History: Comets and the Horns of Moses, where I have briefly discussed the Bailey, Clube and Napier examination of how the accurate astronomical knowledge of the ancients was degraded and re-interpreted by the various Greek philosophical schools that emerged following the Dark Ages. As I wrote there, the beginning of Greek civilization began after a period of global stress and disruption due to cometary bombardment that brought the Bronze Age world to an end destroying several ancient high civilizations. Keep in mind that the Taurids are called that because they appear to come from the constellation, Taurus, and at some point in the past, what came from that constellation may have been far larger and more dramatic than the meteor streams that, in our modern times, seems so benign and decorative. Three or four thousand years ago, the objects emanating from Taurus were not so small and benign. Enormous, brilliant, celestial objects would have been seen traveling along the zodiac with attendant fragments looking like a shepherd with his little fluffy sheep. Backtracking still further tells us that the giant comet came tens of thousands of years ago, and its initial appearance may have started the last ice-age which hit its peak around 20,000 years ago.

Also keep in mind that the dates that the various researchers have given to large events that can be discerned in the scientific records are 12,800, 8,200, 7000, 5,200, 3,000, 4,200, 2354, 1628, 1150, 500, 208 BC and 550, 850 and 1300 AD[1]. (These can be adjusted as more precise dating methods are developed or applied.)

All of these peaks coincide with climatic, and many of them with known cultural, downturns. It is suggested that most of the rapid climate shifts during the Holocene could be attributed to cosmic activity. It is also believed that the cosmic events, in one way or the other, are responsible for the Dark Ages in our history.[2]

[1] Ice core, peat bog, tree-ring dates combined.
[2] Lars G. Franzen (2007) Physical Geography, Earth Sciences Centre, PO Box 460, SE 40530 Goteborg, Sweden
--------------------------------

Tauroctony of the Hyperboreans?​

Now that we have all the pieces laid out, it’s time to bring in how I found the tauroctony in the sky 5000 years ago, and why all these varied elements actually matter. I will just include the main portions of the passage that can be found in my Secret History.

~~~​

Diodorus Siculus, writing in the first century BC, gives us a description of Britain based, in part, on the voyage of Pytheas of Massilia, who sailed around Britain in 300 BC.

As for the inhabitants, they are simple and far removed from the shrewdness and vice which characterize our day. Their way of living is modest, since they are well clear of the luxury that is begotten of wealth. The island is also thickly populated and its climate is extremely cold, as one would expect, since it actually lies under the Great Bear. It is held by many kings and potentates, who for the most part live at peace among themselves.[1]

Diodorus then tells a fascinating story about the Hyperboreans that is extracted from the work of Hecataeus of Miletus (c. 550 BC – c. 476 BC) and which was obviously of legendary character already when he was writing:

Of those who have written about the ancient myths, Hecateus and certain others say that in the regions beyond the land of the Celts (Gaul) there lies in the ocean an island no smaller than Sicily. This island, the account continues, is situated in the north, and is inhabited by the Hyperboreans, who are called by that name because their home is beyond the point whence the north wind blows; and the land is both fertile and productive of every crop, and since it has an unusually temperate climate it produces two harvests each year.

Now, it seems that Diodorus is describing the same location, but we notice that the climate is so vastly different in the two descriptions that we can hardly make the connection. However, let us just suppose that his description of Britain was based on the climate that prevailed at the time he was writing, and the legendary description of the Hyperboreans was based on a previous climatic condition that was preserved in the story. Diodorus stresses that he is recounting something very ancient as he goes on to say:

The Hyperboreans also have a language, we are informed, which is peculiar to them, and are most friendly disposed towards the Greeks, and especially towards the Athenians and the Delians, who have inherited this goodwill from most ancient times. The myth also relates that certain Greeks visited the Hyperboreans and left behind them costly votive offerings bearing inscriptions in Greek letters. And in the same way Abaris, a Hyperborean, came to Greece in ancient times and renewed the goodwill and kinship of his people to the Delians.

Diodorus’ remark about the relations between the Hyperboreans and the Athenians is most peculiar. Herodotus expounds upon the relationship of the Hyperboreans to the Delians:

Certain sacred offerings wrapped up in wheat straw come from the Hyperboreans into Scythia, whence they are taken over by the neighbouring peoples in succession until they get as far west as the Adriatic: from there they are sent south, and the first Greeks to receive them are the Dodonaeans. Then, continuing southward, they reach the Malian gulf, cross to Euboea, and are passed on from town to town as far as Carystus. Then they skip Andros, the Carystians take them to Tenos, and the Tenians to Delos. That is how these things are said to reach Delos at the present time. [2]

The legendary connection between the Hyperboreans and the Delians leads us to another interesting remark of Herodotus who tells us that Leto, the mother of Apollo, was born on the island of the Hyperboreans. That there was regular contact between the Greeks and the Hyperboreans over many centuries is the claim here, but for modern historians, it is highly questionable. Herodotus has another interesting thing to say about the Hyperboreans and their sending of sacred offerings to Delos:

On the first occasion they were sent in charge of two girls, whose names the Delians say were Hyperoche and Laodice. To protect the girls on the journey, the Hyperboreans sent five men to accompany them … the two Hyperborean girls died in Delos, and the boys and girls of the island still cut their hair as a sign of mourning for them… There is also a Delphic story that before the time of Hyperoche and Laodice, two other Hyperborean girls, Arge and Opis, came to Delos by the same route. …Arge and Opis came to the island at the same time as Apollo and Artemis… [3]

Herodotus mentions at another point, when discussing the lands of the “barbarians,” “All these except the Hyperboreans, were continually encroaching upon one another’s territory.” Without putting words in Herodotus’ mouth, it seems to suggest that the Hyperboreans were not warlike at all.

A further clue about the religion of the Hyperboreans comes from the myths of Orpheus. It is said that when Dionysus invaded Thrace, Orpheus did not see fit to honor him but instead preached the evils of sacrificial murder to the men of Thrace. He taught “other sacred mysteries” having to do with Apollo, whom he believed to be the greatest of all gods. Dionysus became so enraged; he set the Maenads on Orpheus at Apollo’s temple where Orpheus was a priest. They burst in, murdered their husbands who were assembled to hear Orpheus speak, tore Orpheus limb from limb, and threw his head into the river Hebrus where it floated downstream still singing. It was carried on the sea to the island of Lesbos. Another version of the story is that Zeus killed Orpheus with a thunderbolt for divulging divine secrets. He was responsible for instituting the Mysteries of Apollo in Thrace, Hecate in Aegina, and Subterrene Demeter at Sparta. And this brings us to a further revelation of Diodorus regarding the Hyperboreans:

And there is also on the island both a magnificent sacred precinct of Apollo and a notable temple, which is adorned with many votive offerings and is spherical in shape. Furthermore, a city is there which is sacred to this god, and the majority of its inhabitants are players on the cithara; and these continually play on this instrument in the temple and sing hymns of praise to the god, glorifying his deeds… They say also that the moon, as viewed from this island, appears to be but a little distance from the earth and to have upon it prominences, like those of the earth, which are visible to the eye. The account is also given that the god visits the island every nineteen years, the period in which the return of the stars to the same place in the heavens is accomplished, and for this reason the Greeks call the nineteen-year period the “year of Meton”. At the time of this appearance of the god he both plays on the cithara and dances continuously the night through from the vernal equinox until the rising of the Pleiades, expressing in this manner his delight in his successes. And the kings of this city and the supervisors of the sacred precinct are called Boreades, since they are descendants of Boreas, and the succession to these positions is always kept in their family.

I would like to note immediately how similar the above story of the Maenads murdering their husbands is to the story of the daughters of Danaus murdering their husbands on the wedding night connected to the story of the massacre at the Cloisters of Ambrius attributed much later to Hengist and Horsa. Keeping in mind that the Danaans were the family of the hero Perseus who cut off the head of Medusa, while comparing this to the beheading of Orpheus and his “singing” head floating down the river. The two themes, wives murdering husbands and a significant beheading are startling enough to give us pause. Was an original legend then later adapted to a different usage, assimilated to a different group or tribe? More than once?

In any event, we have discovered a most interesting little collection of things all in one place. First a “round temple” on an island that can only be Britain, may be describing Stonehenge (or its precursor) and the way in which it was utilized by a group of people (playing harps and singing). Next we see that Diodorus is suggesting that the 19-year lunar calendar is a product of the Hyperboreans and that it relates to a period in which the “return of the stars” is accomplished. Could it be that the “return of the stars” was actually the “return of the comets”?

There is an additional puzzle here. What did it mean that every nineteen years a god “dances” from the vernal equinox until the rising of the Pleiades? This suggests to us a very specific date is being recorded in this myth. The heliacal rising of the Pleiades does not happen every 19 years. So, aside from telling us about a regular event that occurred every nineteen years, the myth has recorded something else very significant, the date of which is internal to the myth. When did the Pleiades rise just before the sun on the vernal equinox?

There are many who assume that a “heliacal rising” means that a star or constellation is in conjunction with the sun. But this is probably not correct. The ancients were practicing observational astronomy. Otto Neugebauer, in his many studies regarding what the ancients did or did not know about science and mathematics, noted the following:

When we watch the stars rise over the eastern horizon, we see them appear night after night at the same spot on the horizon. But when we extend our observation into the period of twilight, fewer and fewer stars will be recognizable when they cross the horizon, and near sunrise all stars will have faded out altogether. Let us suppose that a certain star S was seen just rising at the beginning of dawn but vanished from sight within a very short time because of the rapid approach of daylight. We call this phenomenon the “heliacal rising” of S, using a term of Greek astronomy. Let us assume that we use this phenomenon as the indication of the end of “night” and consider S as the star of the “last hour of night.” […] We may continue in the same way for several days, but during this time a definite change takes place. […] Obviously, after some lapse of time, it no longer makes sense to take S as the indicator of the last hour of night. But there are new stars that can take the place of S. Thus year after year S may serve for some days as the star of the last hour, to be replaced in regular order by other stars. [4]

In order to observe a heliacal rising of a star or group of stars, they must rise long enough before the sun to be “observed,” because as soon as the sun rises, the stars can no longer be seen. The heliacal rising of the Pleiades would have to occur at least 36 minutes before the sun comes up, in order to be seen. So, the real question seems to be: when did the Pleiades rise around half an hour before the sun, at the time of the equinox? When were the Pleiades the stars of the “last hour of the night”, and what might have been the significance of this event?

Certain “standard” texts, written by individuals who have not taken into account the observational nature of a heliacal rising, have given 2300 BC as the date, because this was when the Pleiades were conjunct the Sun on the Vernal equinox. However, after careful calculations of my own, it appears that the date of the actual heliacal rising of the Pleiades, in the terms that Neugebauer has given us, occurred on April 16, 3100 BC.

There is an even greater mystery here regarding the Pleiades. In the cave of Lascaux, there is a prehistoric image of an Auroch, which is the largest picture in the whole assembly of images, and is painted almost entirely on the ceiling of the cave. Above the back of the Auroch, a strange figure of a cluster of six floating points can be seen. The distribution of the dots does not seem to be haphazard, but rather shows a clear structural element. It looks, in fact, like an exact portrayal of the constellation Taurus with the star cluster of the Pleiades placed precisely as they actually relate to the constellation. The Navajo in America have also portrayed the Pleiades in exactly this same six-star arrangement in modern times, as handed down to them by their ancestors.[5]

The constellation Taurus was originally a complete image of a bull in the sky. The Babylonians called it the heavenly bull, and the Pleiades were recognized as the “bristle on the neck of the bull.” At some point, the bull was cut in half to create Aries and Cetus, the whale.

So, it appears that the same date is being described in the ancient tales of the Hyperboreans that we find concealed in the elements of the tauroctony.
The question is, of course, was the tauroctony intended to convey any deeper messages? And what about the fact that it was said that Mithraism began with pirates in Cilicia? How in the world do all these disparate elements fit together, assuming they do? Did the originators of Mithraism even know what they were doing or were they just repeating something without insight?

[1] Diodorus of Sicily, English translation by C. H. Oldfather, Loeb Classical Library, Volumes II and III. London, William Heinemann, and Cambridge, Mass., USA, Harvard University Press, 1935 and 1939. All quotes from Diodorus are from the same translation.
[2] Herodotus, The Histories, Book IV, trans. Aubrey De Selincourt, revised John Marincola (London: Penguin 1972) p. 226
[3] Herodotus, The Histories, pp. 226-227.
[4] Neugebauer, op. cit.
[5] Chamberlain, Von Del, “Navajo Constellations in Literature, Art, Artifact and a New Mexico Rock Art Site”, Archaeoastronomy 6 (1-4):48-58, 1983.

I hope all of you see what the problem is after reviewing the data above. It seems that someone, using something like the Farnese globe, created the image of the Tauroctony based on some ancient text that must have referred to a cataclysmic event dated about 3100 BC. Were the Phrygians actually refugee Hyperboreans?

Of course, all of the above is in addition to the mystery of whether or not a group of assassins utilized the cult of Mithras as their ideological vehicle.

Keep in mind that Josephus referred to rebels against Rome as "pirates and brigands". It was probably a pretty common epithet at the time.

Rome had many clubs/cults/ecclesia that harbored anti-government types of all sorts at various points in its history. There are records of the banning of such gatherings on numerous occasions because they were often used to destabilize the government. It is certainly not out of the realm of possibility that Caesar's assassins met in such places to do their plotting and took some sort of sick delight in the iconography of the Tauroctony as an emblem of their designs.

The similarity of mithraism to freemasonry has been noted quite often. It looks like freemasons are also related to pirates (some say when the templars were arrested, they had a big fleet of which many ships disappeared and modern piracy started around the same time, in addition to the skull and crossed bones emblem seen today in the third degree tracing board) and despite having some aristocrats, nobles, and learned people among them, they gathered in taverns (caves are perhaps rare in england). Maybe in some aspects they operated in similar ways: "We possess higher and secret knowledge, we are virtuous (see how much time it took to select and vet you), therefore whatever we do is for the greater good, be it democracy, liberty, etc. and now you're in the goof company of the good guys. Being a soldier, a small fry politician etc. is just a coincidence or a sign of providence, and oh we happen to have a small favor to ask of you...".

Something else picked up on Mithraic and Bull references, provide by Hall as started back a page or two:

From Lundy's Monumental Christianity. The most famous sculpturings and reliefs of this prototokos show Mithras kneeling upon the recumbent form of a great bull, into whose throat he is driving a sword. The slaying of the bull signifies that the rays of the sun, symbolized by the sword, release at the vernal equinox the vital essences of the earth--the blood of the bull-- which, pouring from the wound made by the Sun God, fertilize the seeds of living things. Dogs were held sacred to the cult of Mithras, being symbolic of sincerity and trustworthiness. The Mithraics used the serpent a an emblem of Ahriman, the Spirit of Evil, and water rats were held sacred to him. The bull is esoterically the Constellation of Taurus; the serpent, its opposite in the zodiac, Scorpio; the sun, Mithras, entering into the side of the bull, slays the celestial creature and nourishes the universe with its blood.

Concerning the serpent, it is opposite in Scorpio, Hall elsewhere makes this point:

Concerning the annual passage of the sun through the twelve houses of the heavens, Robert Hewitt Brown, 32°, makes the following statement: "The Sun, as he pursued his way among these 'living creatures' of the zodiac, was said, in allegorical language, either to assume the nature of or to triumph over the sign he entered. The sun thus became a Bull in Taurus, and was worshipped as such by the Egyptians under the name of Apis, and by the Assyrians as Bel, Baal, or Bul. In Leo the sun became a Lion-slayer, Hercules, and an Archer in Sagittarius. In Pisces, the Fishes, he was a fish--Dagon, or Vishnu, the fish-god of the Philistines and Hindoos.
[...]
The important point to be remembered is that when the sun was said to be in a certain sign of the zodiac, the ancients really meant that the sun occupied the opposite sign and cast its long ray into the house in which they enthroned it. Therefore, when it is said that the sun is in Taurus, it means (astronomically) that the sun is in the sign opposite to Taurus, which is Scorpio. This resulted in two distinct schools of philosophy: one geocentric and exoteric, the other heliocentric and esoteric. While the ignorant multitudes worshiped the house of the sun's reflection, which in the case described would be the Bull, the wise revered the house of the sun's actual dwelling, which would be the Scorpion, or the Serpent, the symbol of the concealed spiritual mystery. This sign has three different symbols. The most common is that of a Scorpion, who was called by the ancients the backbiter, being the symbol of deceit and perversion; the second (and less common) form of the sign is a Serpent, often used by the ancients to symbolize wisdom
[...]
As Scorpio and Taurus are opposite each other in the zodiac, their symbolism is often closely intermingled. The Hon. E. M. Plunket, in Ancient Calendars and Constellations, says: "The Scorpion (the constellation Scorpio of the Zodiac opposed to Taurus) joins with Mithras in his attack upon the Bull, and always the genii of the spring and autumn equinoxes are present in joyous and mournful attitudes.

What I was reminded of with the depictions of the Bull, at is base was the snake (the dog was there too), is this the opposition discussed above?

This depiction below goes with the first quote, but notice the "starry hat" - see below "gave him a starry hat":

1661066422303.png

In Phrygia there existed a remarkable school of religious philosophy which centered around the life and untimely fate of another Savior-God known as Atys, or Attis, by many considered synonymous with Adonis. This deity was born at midnight on the 24th day of December. Of his death there are two accounts. In one he was gored to death like Adonis; in the other he emasculated himself under a pine tree and there died. His body was taken to a cave by the Great Mother (Cybele), where it remained through the ages without decaying. To the rites of Atys the modern world is indebted for the symbolism of the Christmas tree. Atys imparted his immortality to the tree beneath which he died, and Cybele took the tree with her when she removed the body. Atys remained three days in the tomb, rose upon a date corresponding with Easter morn, and by this resurrection overcame death for all who were initiated into his Mysteries.

"In the Mysteries of the Phrygians, "says Julius Firmicus, "which are called those of the MOTHER OF THE GODS, every year a PINE TREE is cut down and in the inside of the tree the image of a YOUTH is tied in! In the Mysteries of Isis the trunk of a PINE TREE is cut: the middle of the trunk is nicely hollowed out; the idol of Osiris made from those hollowed pieces is BURIED. In the Mysteries of Proserpine a tree cut is put together into the effigy and form of the VIRGIN, and when it has been carried within the city it is MOURNED 40 nights, but the fortieth night it is BURNED!" (See Sod, the Mysteries of Adoni.)

The Mysteries of Atys included a sacramental meal during which the neophyte ate out of a drum and drank from a cymbal. After being baptized by the blood of a bull, the new initiate was fed entirely on milk to symbolize that he was still a philosophical infant, having but recently been born out of the sphere of materiality. (See Frazer's The Golden Bough.) Is there a possible connection between this lacteal diet prescribed by the Attic rite and St. Paul's allusion to the food for spiritual babes? Sallust gives a key to the esoteric interpretation of the Attic rituals. Cybele, the Great Mother, signifies the vivifying powers of the universe, and Atys that aspect of the spiritual intellect which is suspended between the divine and animal spheres. The Mother of the gods, loving Atys, gave him a starry hat, signifying celestial powers, but Atys (mankind), falling in love with a nymph (symbolic of the lower animal propensities), forfeited his divinity and lost his creative powers. It is thus evident that Atys represents the human consciousness and that his Mysteries are concerned with the reattainment of the starry hat. (See Sallust on the Gods and the World.)

According to this, the two words Atis and Attis are not the same, but above Hall uses them interchangeably, as others do. But below it looks like this:

No connection to the god Atys​

Nineteenth century scholarship wrongly identified the god Attis with the similar-sounding name of the god Atys. The name "Atys" is often seen in ancient Aegean cultures; it was mentioned by Herodotus,[2] however Herodotus was describing Atys, the son of Croesus, a human in a historical account. The 19th century conflation of the man Atys's name with the mythology of the god he was presumably named after, "Atys the sun god, slain by the boar's tusk of winter",[6] and hence a connection to similar-sounding Attis was a mistake, but the long-standing error is still found in modern sources.[3]: 536–539 https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Attis#citenote8

[...]

Philosophy​

Emperor Julian's "Hymn to the Mother of Gods"[13] contains a detailed Neoplatonic analysis of Attis. In that work Julian says: "Of him [Attis] the myth relates that, after being exposed at birth near the eddying stream of the river Gallus, he grew up like a flower, and when he had grown to be fair and tall, he was beloved by the Mother of the Gods. And she entrusted all things to him, and moreover set on his head the starry cap."[14] On this passage, the scholiast (Wright) says: "The whole passage implies the identification of Attis with nature...cf. 162A where Attis is called 'Nature,' φύσις."[14]

But here are the starry hat's (reminds me of the Statue of Liberty):

(these three pictures where depicted under Attis)
1661068151743.png

1661068173886.png

1661068281084.png

Is this "starry hat" another symbol for the Phrygian cap?

Literature​

The first literary reference to Attis is the subject of one of the most famous poems by Catullus,[10] apparently before Attis had begun to be worshipped in Rome, as Attis' worship began in the early Empire.[11]

In 1675, Jean-Baptiste Lully, who was attached to Louis XIV's court, composed an opera titled Atys. In 1780, Niccolo Piccinni composed his own Atys.

Oscar Wilde mentions Attis' self-mutilation in his poem The Sphinx, published in 1894:

"And Atys with his blood-stained knife we
re better than the thing I am."[12]

Again, just adding these Hall references.

I hope all of you see what the problem is after reviewing the data above. It seems that someone, using something like the Farnese globe, created the image of the Tauroctony based on some ancient text that must have referred to a cataclysmic event dated about 3100 BC

This cataclysmic event dated about 3,100 BC might correspond to the first pass of comet Venus or its last pass whether you remove 460 years to the official chronology or not. The hypothesized 7 passes of comet Venus had severe repercussions:

In the 1990s and 2000s, another theory regarding the end of the Cucuteni-Trypillia culture emerged based on climatic change that took place at the end of their culture's existence that is known as the Blytt-Sernander Sub-Boreal phase. Beginning around 3200 BC, the earth's climate became colder and drier than it had ever been since the end of the last Ice age, resulting in the worst drought in the history of Europe since the beginning of agriculture.

- Anthony, David W. (2007). The Horse, the Wheel, and Language

Also, the Uruk civilization collapsed ca. 3,200 BC:

Despite the relative scarcity of archeological data for these remote times, we can see that the Earth changes described above had consequences on the human population. Several cultures and settlements collapsed between 5,200 and 4,600 BP.

In Mesopotamia, the collapse of the Uruk culture after flourishing for 6 centuries has been pinpointed to around 5,200 BP, as Uruk "colonies" in the North were abandoned. Some smaller settlements in southern Mesopotamia were abandoned too. According to Peter Martini and Ward Chesworth, the collapse of the Uruk culture was due to rapid cooling.

I think that the "great secret is precession" idea is nonsensical. Yes, it is an interesting astronomical fact to any astronomer, but to the average person, who really cares about something that happens over such vast time periods? Does it have any notable effect on the life of anyone? No. Would it be likely to impress a bunch of army guys in those times? Would they think that they could DO anything with this knowledge? No.

As for my own idea, that it depicts a particular date and that date matches a date that I arrived at via a different process, what can be said? That IS interesting mainly because said date coincides with scientific evidence for catastrophe. But again, the same questions can be asked. Would the average person of the time even care? Does the knowledge have any effect on a person's life? Can anything be done with this knowledge? The answer to these questions would seem to be "no", again.

People joined Freemasonry because of the promise or impression of some kind of secret. The main thing Freemasons experience throughout their early degrees is confusion. Either confusion at the simplicity of some of the ideas presented - be a good person and improve yourself - or confusion at the complete weirdness of the stories told to them during the ceremonies.

But they keep going. 1, because they’re expecting to learn a secret at some point, and 2, because it’s fun and it gets them out of the house and they make new friends and meet lots of new people.

Point being, there doesn’t necessarily need to be a big secret held by a secret society - only the promise of one. If Mithraism had 7 degrees, and it took years to get to the 7th, by that time, the contents of the 7th degree wouldn’t matter much more to the candidates than actually being a member.

This does not mean that the myths or rites or symbologies of such societies can’t contain historical or religious information that may be very old or hold some actual secrets or allude to real events of ancient history. But that the members themselves don’t need to know or understand them for the cult to perpetuate itself.

Good points, T.C. But I still don't think that the big "secret" was precession.

We have two possible clues as to what the "secrets" were:

Porphyry (c. 234 – c. 305 AD) wrote that the mithraeum functioned as the place of initiation into a mystery of the “descent and exit of souls” and that it was designed and equipped for this purpose as a “likeness of the universe. The things which the cave contained, by their proportionate arrangement, provided [the] symbols of the elements and climates of the cosmos.

And:
Georgius Cedrenos (fl. 11th century), wrote:
Perseus, they say, brought to Persia initiation and magic, which by his secrets made the fire of the sky descend; with the aid of this art, he brought the celestial fire to the earth, and he had it preserved in a temple under the name of the sacred immortal fire; he chose virtuous men as ministers of a new cult, and established the Magi as the depositors and guardians of this fire which they were charged to protect.

So, have a look at Magi for possible clues: Magi - Wikipedia

We are still left with the idea that the Tauroctony was predicated on the Farnese globe (or something like it). If it was actually the Farnese globe, then the earliest finds of the Tauroctony would help to date the globe, though certainly would not help to establish who came up with the imagery used thereon.

I wanted to share a few thoughts that I had on this in the past few days, it may or may not have any value whatsoever, I just found them curious and figured I'd post them here.

The whole thing with the bull, it struck me that it is an interesting animal to sacrifice, mock and identify with Caesar. The thing with the bull is that it is often (or exclusively) seen as dangerous, deadly and worthy of the bull fighting that has gone on for so long, because they're so dangerous, and they objectively are, you do not mess with a bull.

But, then I thought, they're not predators, bull's probably posses the strength that a lion does, or a tiger. The capacity for harm that a lot of predators have, but the bull isn't one. And it may not have had anything to do with selecting the image at all, maybe whoever picked it simply wanted a strong and menacing beast to put on the shields, but it is interesting that much like the bull, Caesar was not a predator, but it didn't mean he was harmless, in fact, he was dangerous, but he wasn't out there looking for prey, which everyone who assassinated him most certainly were.

Which was probably part of the reason to take him out, he wasn't one of them, not a predator so their ideas would never resonate with him. And it made me think, one does not have to turn into a predator in order to be dangerous. it was an interesting idea.

Now, the other thing that occurred to me, and I have not looked into this at all, but it is interesting that down through history, the image that we're given for "evil" is often accompanied by horns, and I was wondering if this was perhaps by design, in the same vein of Mithraism.

Actually, since we have now arrived at a point, via the mention of the Magi and the secrets of Mithraism, of a connection to Zoroastrianism, this is a useful observation.

It should be noted that Zoroaster appeared to be opposed to those who killed cattle, cattle raiding, and so forth. Thus it would seem that this latter Roman style Mithraism, was opposed to Zoroastrianism with its image of killing a bull.

Anyway, here are a few interesting images:

First:

1661083800519.png

Next:
"Made in China during the latter part of the eighth century, this unusual Tang dynasty burial figure today sits on a shelf in the Museo di Arte Orientale (MAO) of Turin, Italy, exuding as much mystery as he does energy. To date, nobody can say exactly who or what he is—his clothes, his pose, his expression don't add up. Even his manufacture is atypical: While almost all other known burial statuettes are hollow and cast in molds, this one is solid clay and appears to have been sculpted by hand.
For the moment, MAO has him down as "a Persian riding a camel or a horse," says Marco Guglielminotti Trivel, MAO's curator of East Asian art. And this is plausible enough. Formerly owned by the Agnelli Foundation, the figure's eyes are rounded, his nose aquiline, and though most figurines show a male rider straddling his mount, sidesaddle is not unheard of. The raised fists, Mr. Guglielminotti notes, might have held reins, while the face cover—as well as a flap of cloth over the back of his neck—would have protected against wind, sun and sand.
But the camel-rider interpretation is not entirely satisfying. Just ask Marcello Pacini, who headed the Agnelli Foundation for 25 years and acquired the statue at auction some 20 years ago for its collection. "I have never seen a rider with such intensity in his eyes," he says. "His is the expression of a priest honoring a god, not that of a camel rider facing some banal complication." He speculates that our riveting mystery man is a Zoroastrian priest feeding the sacred fire. He points to the fact that Zoroastrian Sogdians had a visible presence in Tang China and that Zoroastrian priests wore a face cover during rituals to avoid polluting the fire with breath or saliva.
1661083758763.png

Next:
1661083699268.png

1661083655427.png

1661083856774.png

Below: 19th-century Indian Zoroastrian perception of Zoroaster derived from a figure that appears in a 4th-century sculpture at Taq-e Bostan in South-Western Iran. The original is now believed to be either a representation of Mithra or Hvare-khshaeta.[

1661083922357.png

Last edited:
1660986895009.png

When I saw this figure contributed by Laura in which this figure is standing on a sphere that has a cross drawn on it, I remembered a dream that I had many years ago.

Of course the meaning may be unrelated to this discussion and mean anything.

I had what you call a lucid dream, it really seemed that I was living the situation.

In the dream I was at my parents' house (at that time I lived about 2400 km away), and through one of the windows I was seeing a huge planet passing near the horizon at sunset. In his path the building hid him so I went to the other window to continue seeing him. In the other window I kept seeing it until it was hidden by the horizon.

The point is that the planet had a huge "scar" in the shape of a cross that crossed its entire surface. It was not a perfect cross, but it was a cross all over.

Just something I remembered when I saw the figure.

This bit may have some clues:

Where, when and how the Mithraic Mysteries spread to Rome is still hotly debated. According to Clauss, the first evidence is the 1st century AD and it is true, the unique underground temples or Mithraea appear suddenly in the archaeology in the last quarter of the 1st century AD.[3] However, Plutarch says that in 67 BC, the pirates of Cilicia (province on the southeastern coast of Asia Minor) were practicing the “secret rites” of Mithras. According to C.M.Daniels, the Carnuntum inscription is the earliest Mithraic dedication from the Danube region, which along with Italy is one of the two regions where Mithraism first struck root.

The considerable movement [of civil servants and military] throughout the empire was of great importance to Mithraism, and even with the very fragmentary and inadequate evidence that we have it is clear that the movement of troops was a major factor in the spread of the cult. Traditionally there are two geographical regions where Mithraism first struck root: Italy and the Danube. Italy I propose to omit, as the subject needs considerable discussion, and the introduction of the cult there, as witnessed by its early dedicators, seems not to have been military.

Before we turn to the Danube, however, there is one early event (rather than geographical location) which should perhaps be mentioned briefly in passing. This is the supposed arrival of the cult in Italy as a result of Pompey the Great's defeat of Cilician pirates, who practiced 'strange sacrifices of their own... and celebrated certain secret rites, amongst which those of Mithras continue to the present time, have been first instituted by them'. (ref Plutarch, "Pompey" 24-25) Suffice it to say that there is neither archaeological nor allied evidence for the arrival of Mithraism in the west at that time, nor is there any ancient literary reference, either contemporary or later. If anything, Plutarch's mention carefully omits making the point that the cult was introduced into Italy at that time or by the pirates.

Turning to the Danube, the earliest dedication from that region is an altar to Mitrhe (sic) set up by C. Sacidus Barbarus, a centurion of XV Appolinaris, stationed at the time at Carnuntum in Pannonia (Deutsch-Altenburg, Austria). The movements of this legion are particularly informative.[4]

The article explains that the Roman Legion designated as “XV Appolinaris” was originally based at Carnuntum, but between 62-71 transferred to the east to fight in the Armenian campaign, and then was sent to put down the Jewish uprising. In other words, this legion was part of the army that was in Jerusalem at the time of the destruction of the temple that I have proposed may have been due to a Tunguska-like event. If that was the case, then it would explain the turn to Mithraism which possibly taught the true meaning of the “gods” to its initiates. In any event, this particular Roman legion was then sent back to Carnuntum for the years 71- 86, and was intermittently involved in the Dacian wars between 86-105, then back to Carnuntum during the years 105-114, and finally garrisoned in Cappadocia in 114. Cappadocia is located in central Anatolia adjacent to Cilicia from whence the pirates mentioned above came. Phrygia is also found there.

[3] Beck, R., "The Mysteries of Mithras: A New Account of their Genesis", Journal of Roman Studies, 1998, 115-128. p. 118.
[4] C. M. Daniels, "The Roman army and the spread of Mithraism" in John R. Hinnels, Mithraic Studies: Proceedings of the First International Congress of Mithraic Studies, vol. 2, 1975, M

There is more about Legio XV Appolinaris from Wikipedia: Legio XV Apollinaris - Wikipedia

It was recruited by Octavian in 41/40 BC. The emblem of this legion was probably a picture of Apollo, or of one of his holy animals.

XV Apollinaris is sometimes confused with two other legions with the same number: An earlier unit which was commanded by Julius Caesar and met its end in North Africa in 49 BC, and a later unit that was present at the Battle of Philippi on the side of the Second Triumvirate and then sent east.

Octavianus (later Emperor Augustus) raised XV Apollinaris in order to end the occupation of Sicily by Sextus Pompeius, who was threatening Rome's grain supply. After the Battle of Actium, where the legion probably gained its epitaph Apollinaris, ... it was sent to garrison Illyricum, where it probably remained until 6 BC, ... By the year 9 the legion was headquartered in Pannonia, in the town of Carnuntum.

There the unit stayed until sent to Syria and possibly Armenia by Nero in 61 or 62, these territories newly conquered from the Parthians. After the conclusion of the war with Parthia, the legion was sent to Alexandria but soon found itself engaged in the fierce fighting of the First Jewish Revolt, capturing the towns of Jotapata and Gamla. It was the Fifteenth that captured the Jewish general later to become famous as the historian Josephus. During this period the legion was commanded by Titus, who would later become Emperor.

After the suppression of the revolt, the legion returned to Carnuntum and rebuilt its fortress. Elements of the XVth fought in the Dacian Wars although the main body of the legion remained in Pannonia.

A list of attested members is given on Wikipedia. They were probably all members of the cult including Titus.

Here is a discussion of the cow mythology of Zoroastrianism:

The mythology of the "uniquely created bovine" that is only alluded to in the extant Avesta appears fully developed in the 9th–11th century Middle Persian texts of Zoroastrian tradition. In these texts, Avestan Gavaevodata appears as Middle Persian gaw i ew-dad or ewazdad or ewagdad, and retains the same literal meaning as the Avestan language form.

As also for all other Zoroastrian cosmological beliefs, the primary source of information on the primordial ox is the Bundahishn, a 9th century text. In this text, the primordial ox is a hermaphrodite, having both milk[8] and semen.[9] It is "white, bright like the moon, and three measured poles in height".[10] The uniquely created ox lived its life on the river Veh. Daiti,[11] and on the opposite bank lived Gayomart/d (Avestan Gayo maretan), the mythical first human.

Gawi ewdad's role in the creation myth runs as follows: During the first three-thousand year period, Ahura Mazda's (Ormuzd) fashioned the bovine as His fourth or fifth[c] of six primordial material creations. At the beginning of the second three-thousand year period, Angra Mainyu (Ahriman) attacked the world, and the Creator responded by placing the primordial plant, bovine, and human in the respective heavenly spheres of the stars, moon, and sun.[12] But Ahriman assaulted the sky and Ormuzd fed the bovine "medicinal mang" (mang bēšaz[d]) to lessen its suffering.[13] The bovine immediately became feeble, and then died.[e]

But as it lay dying its chihr[a] was rescued and carried to "the moon station".[f] In the care of the moon, the chihr[a] of the beast was purified and became the male and female pairs of the animals "of many species." After the bovine's death, fifty-five kinds of grain and twelve kinds of medicinal plants grew from its marrow.[14] In another passage,[15] the Bundahishn speaks of sesame, lentils, leeks, grapes, mustard, and marjoram issuing from various other parts of its body. For example, lentils from the liver, and mustard from the lungs.[16][g][h].

Goshorun (from Avestan geush urvan), the soul of the primordial bovine, escaped to the star, moon, and sun stations where she lamented the destruction of the world. She was not placated until Ormuzd shows her the fravashi of the yet-unborn Zoroaster (whose protection she would receive). Contented with the promise of protection, Goshorun then agreed to be "created back to the world as livestock."[17]

There is also this: How did Zoroaster become the Leader of the World?

The second Song of the Gathas (Yasna 29) is an interesting play.

It explains why Ahura Mazda chose Asho Zarathushtra (Zoroaster) as a Guide to the living world.
This play is perhaps one of the oldest plays in the world and its hero is Asho Zarathushra!

There are 5 characters in this play. The first one is Ahura Mazda, the Wise God, who knows everything.

Asha or Righteousness is the second character in this play. Righteousness is part of what makes our God.
But here in this play he acts as a separate character, as God’s assistant.

Vohuman or Good Mind is yet another character in this play. Like Righteousness, Good Mind is an aspect of God but here he plays as God’s friend.

The cow plays the fourth character in this play. The cow is a symbol of all the living world.
She represents people, animals and plants. She is helpless and sad because many people have been
unjustly oppressed and they are unhappy and poor.

Animals are not happy either. They are being extinct and killed. Worse of all the environment is being destroyed by waste and pollution. So the cow, which is the symbol of all the living world, is not happy. She goes to Ahura Mazda to complain about her miserable situation.

In this play (Yasna 29, Song 2 of the Gathas), Asho Zarathushtra is the hero. He is young but not very powerful. But he is wise, kind and honest. He is the one who will be chosen to save the living world. Let’s read and find out how:

Cow: I am very upset, God. Why did you create me like this?
I am being destroyed by anger, violence and injustice. Please help me!

Ahura Mazda: (turns to Righteousness and asks) who do you think we should find as the leader for the living world?
Who will be able to bring justice and happiness to the world?

Righteousness replies: O Ahura Mazda! I am sorry but I don’t know anyone who is honest
and capable enough to fight the injustice in the world.

Righteousness continues: Ahura Mazda, you know the best. You are all-knowing. You know the past and future.
You are our judge. The Cow and I will ask you: Is there anyone who can save the world from dishonesty and lies?

Ahura Mazda turns to Good Mind and says: Good Mind, what about you?
Do you know of anyone who can save the world and bring peace and happiness to people?

Good Mind replies: Yes, Wise Lord. I know of one person who can save the world from oppression.
He has listened to your Divine Message. He is Zarathushtra Spitaman. Zarathushtra comes in. He is thin and seems powerless. When the cow sees Zarathushtra, she is disappointed.

She thinks how can such a thin young man be able to save the world!!

The cow cries out to God and angrily says, "How can this man save the world? He is not a warrior nor is a powerful hero to be able to save the world!" God looks at the cow but doesn't say anything and let the cow figure it out herself!

The cow sits and ponders deeply, and she soon realizes that it is not Zarathushtra's physical strength which will save the world but his wisdom and righteousness.

So she turns to God and calmly says, "Wise Lord, I ask you to grant Zarathushtra and his people power through righteousness and good mind so that he can lead the living world to peace and happiness.
Indeed, Asho Zarathushtra is Your best discovery."

Another item arguing against a Persian origin is that one of only three known mithraea in Dura-Europas located on the extreme eastern border of Roman Syria was destroyed by the Persians when they conquered the area in 256. The Zoroastrian Sassanians apparently didn’t know, and wouldn’t tolerate Roman Mithraism.[1] So, we ditch any idea that the Mithraic Mysteries had anything at all to do with the Persian Mithra.
Just because the Persians were perceived to destroy the mithraea, does not mean there was no link somewhere. Think about the monasteries and churches vandalized by Protestants reformers, or the Mosques or Churches suffering from the onslaught of Christians and Moslems respectively.
Actually, since we have now arrived at a point, via the mention of the Magi and the secrets of Mithraism, of a connection to Zoroastrianism, this is a useful observation.

It should be noted that Zoroaster appeared to be opposed to those who killed cattle, cattle raiding, and so forth. Thus it would seem that this latter Roman style Mithraism, was opposed to Zoroastrianism with its image of killing a bull.
In a quote from the Wiki about the Phrygian ha, there was:
Early Christian art (and continuing well into the Middle Ages) build on the same Greco-Roman perceptions of (Pseudo-)Zoroaster and his "Magi" as experts in the arts of astrology and magic, and routinely depict the "three wise men" (that follow a star) with Phrygian caps.
But in the 1st and 2nd century a Phrygian cap denoted:

And under the wiki of the Magi, there was an image where one may notice what looks like Phrygian hats:
1661083971246.png
There is more in the Wiki, but it leaves the impression there was an opposition between the Magi and both Christianity and Judaism.
In addition to the more famous story of Simon Magus found in chapter 8, the Book of Acts (13:6–11) also describes another magus who acted as an advisor of Sergius Paulus, the Roman proconsul at Paphos on the island of Cyprus. He was a Jew named Bar-Jesus (son of Jesus), or alternatively Elymas. (Another Cypriot magus named Atomos is referenced by Josephus, working at the court of Felix at Caesarea.)

One of the non-canonical Christian sources, the Syriac Infancy Gospel, provides, in its third chapter, a story of the wise men of the East which is very similar to much of the story in Matthew. This account cites Zoradascht (Zoroaster) as the source of the prophecy that motivated the wise men to seek the infant Jesus. [11]
The Wiki about Simon Magus mentions he was a Samaritan and that he could levitate, which reminded me of Session 26 July 1997, in which the Cs claim the Templars had found a document and had the secret of levitation.

Plutarch said that the Cilician pirates were practicing this strange worship.
There is a strong connection between Pompey and the pirates in several ways.
Mark Anthony's grandfather and possibly father had some sort of relationship with the pirates.
Plutarch said that the pirates abducted Julius Caesar and held him for ransom.
Caesar crucified the pirates that abducted him.
Pompey fought against Caesar.
Plutarch made a reference to the pirates that he repeated in his story about Cleopatra.
Mark Anthony was not available to help Caesar at the time of his assassination.
Caesar moved to the foot of Pompey's statue as he was dying.
Mark Anthony took up Cleopatra and fought against Rome.
Roman Mithraism spread via the army.

Interestingly, C's said that this abduction and the consequent crucifixion never happened and in the same breath mentioned Posidonius travelling with Caesar:

Q: (Atriedes) Was Caesar really kidnapped by Cilician pirates?

A: No.

Q: (Atriedes) So then did he actually crucify any pirates?

A: No.

Q: (Pierre) Is the Cilician pirate story a transformation of something real that happened?

A: Caesar was on another kind of adventure of the scientific kind.

Q: (Pierre) Can you elaborate on this "scientific kind" of adventure?

A: Short travels with his teacher, Posidonius.
So the same Plutarch, who told us that the Cilician pirates were the first to celebrate the mysteries of Mithras (Vita Pompeii 24.5.) told us the story of the abduction of Caesar by the same pirates which according to C's was untrue. It doesn't necessarily mean, though, that the whole story of Caesar's interaction with pirates was fully made up (maybe only the abduction and crucifixion part). Caesar, "having short scientific travels with his teacher Posidonius", might have taught them something:

For thirty-eight days, with the greatest unconcern, he joined in all their games and exercises, just as if he was their leader instead of their prisoner. He also wrote poems and speeches which he read aloud to them, and if they failed to admire his work, he would call them to their faces illiterate savages, and would often laughingly threaten to have them all hanged. They were much taken with this and attributed his freedom of speech to a kind of simplicity in his character or boyish playfulness.

As it happens, the great Stoic scientist and astrologer, Posidonius (135 – 51 BC) had spent time living on the island of Rhodes, and Hipparchus, though born in Nicaea in Bithynia, spent most of his working life on the island of Rhodes. Perhaps there is a clue in Posidonius???
Augustine reported that Posidonius was “very much given to astrology” and called him “the philosopher-astrologer” who “asserts that the stars rule fate”. Cicero informs us that Posidonius’ knowledge of astronomy was so vast that he was able to construct an orrery which is a mechanical, moving, representation of the planets. The famous Antikythera mechanism discovered in 1900 in a wreck off the Greek island of the same name, and dated to 125 BC, revealed that it was constructed to exhibit the diurnal motions of the sun, moon and the five planets then known. As it happens, it was also heliocentric.
Caesar's knowledge of astronomy was impressive as well (Julian calendar).

Maybe the (original?) imagery of tauroctony even contained something of this astronomical knowledge (about the catastrophic event 3100 BC?) held by Posidonius and Caesar but was distorted/reversed later by his assasins as a mockery (like satanists invert the cross)?

But there is more to it than that: in case you didn’t notice, the figures in the tauroctony are reversed from the way they actually appear in the sky.
Q: (L) What did the 7th grade of Mithraism originally confer?

A: Mithraism was the reversal of the STO version {of tauroctony?}.

Q: (L) What does that mean it conferred?

A: Mastery of forces and being mastered.
Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:
Interestingly, C's said that this abduction and the consequent crucifixion never happened and in the same breath mentioned Posidonius travelling with Caesar:

So the same Plutarch, who told us that the Cilician pirates were the first to celebrate the mysteries of Mithras (Vita Pompeii 24.5.) told us the story of the abduction of Caesar by the same pirates which according to C's was untrue. It doesn't necessarily mean, though, that the whole story of Caesar's interaction with pirates was fully made up (maybe only the abduction and crucifixion part). Caesar, "having short scientific travels with his teacher Posidonius", might have taught them something:

Caesar's knowledge of astronomy was impressive as well (Julian calendar).

Maybe the (original?) imagery of tauroctony even contained something of this astronomical knowledge (about the catastrophic event 3100 BC?) held by Posidonius and Caesar but was distorted/reversed later by his assasins as a mockery (like satanists invert the cross)?

Just a few thoughts.

Very worthy thoughts indeed. Now, I have more to think about. Indeed, Posidonius would be a possible source for a number of things.

Back
Top Bottom