Finally! Sea Serpent spotted off NC coast?

My question is: why the word "finally" in your title?

It is a very long animal, are whales so long? It looks, to me, a long snake, maybe a new kind of snake. And I also see a crocodile head.

Anyway, very nice to see this strange animal.

Well I don’t have Facebook so I can’t read the comments from the page but did confirm the video was from the tackle shop. It’s unlikely that a bait and tackle shop would screw this up, those guys are pretty good and it’s probably a whale and they were messing around with the post. Yahoo news grabs the video though for the shock value…. Regardless, for anyone who hasn’t just cruised outside an inlet and watched dolphins or whales work, it’s quite relaxing and peaceful. There’s a Youtube channel called South Fork Salt, great videos of humpback whales crashing schools of bunker less than a half mile off the Long Island Beach.

Looks like a baby whale to me. So, eh, I'm just gonna delete this whole topic!
Maybe and maybe not Joe...

There's something protruding from the top of its head that is very much not whale or dolphin, both of which have very smooth heads in adults and young.

Untitled2b.jpg

Definitely not eye related either as they are positioned much further down the body in both species.

For reference there is certainly a flipper/tail involved though.

Untitled4.jpg

Maybe I take that back... could well be a baby humpback as they do have a high ridge feature on top of the head... :-[

View attachment 68990
Just what I was thinking, young humpback:
young-humpback-whale-hervey-bay-playing-queensland-australia-79956861.jpg

Maybe I take that back... could well be a baby humpback as they do have a high ridge feature on top of the head... :-[

View attachment 68990
Yes, the location would also make that the case. It’s just south of Cape Hatteras on the NC Coast, which is a known migration route for Humpback Whales as they chase bunker down the coast to eventually give birth in warmer waters. There’s plenty of humpback whale sightings and stranding there in the last decade. A little bit of digging into the video works, and if anyone wants an answer they can call Chasin Tails Bait and Tackle and ask them.

I can't confess to be an expert on what sea creature that is but from the reaction of the guy holding the camera, it looks like it isn't anything unusual from his point of view. So, most likely not a sea serpent from that observation only 🤗

Back
Top Bottom